• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Do I want Russia to win? No. Do I also think it's fine to force someone to fight in a war against their will? No. If that causes Russia win, that's how the cookie crumbles.

I provided a link to help you with your foreign volunteer service, you're eligible. Look forward to seeing you on the battlefield.

oh well, guess we should just let russia keep going then. that's how the cookie crumbles. doesn't affect you so why should you care.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
This is a really gross way to characterize people that don't want to be killed or forced to take a life all due to the circumstances of where they were born.
I say this as a german reservist who is probably going to be among the first that are going to get called up if russia ever starts something. No one wants to get killed or be forced to take a life but if your answer to your family getting bombed and your neighbors or friends getting tortured or enslaved is to hideaway in luxury and complain i don't know what to say.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
When your stance is being okay with genocide because you don't think a country facing an existential crisis like this, shouldn't be able to force its own citizens to take a hand in their people's very survival, might be time for some reflection.

And describing genocide with the 'that's the way cookie crumbles'. Is in poor taste imho

They aren't okay with genocide. They never said that. Countries should not force their citizens to fight. If citizens want to fight? Go for it.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

Do I want Russia to win? No. Do I also think it's fine to force someone to fight in a war against their will? No. If that causes Russia win, that's how the cookie crumbles.

I provided a link to help you with your foreign volunteer service, you're eligible. Look forward to seeing you on the battlefield.

Jesus Christ.

Russia winning would lead to, at the bare minimum, genocide of anyone who isn't able to flee, a massive migration and humanitarian crises, erasure of an entire culture, and at worst, set the stage for an entire European war in which the US would also likely be involved.

Can we not just reduce that to "that's how the cookie crumbles"?

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen differing opinions on Russia's manpower situation (and their war economy), but the Russian Government has basically swept the prisons and thrown ludicrous amounts of money (by Russian standards) at every criminally neglected and underdeveloped backwater (ethnic minority groups from these regions are hugely overrepresented in both deployed figures and casualties).

They've also tried to convince or outright trick people from all over the world, especially from South Asia, into military service. Not the actions of a country that can just "use numbers" to win - the only mobilisation the Kremlin carried out caused massive numbers to flee the country.
Oh I see. That does shed light on the desperation of the situation, thanks.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
no one wants to fight in a war throughout all of history. Sometimes governments must do the difficult thing and require their people to fight. Russia cannot be allowed to win this war. The Western way of life in Europe is at stake.

I've known plenty of folks that want, wanted, and did fight in wars. So I don't agree.

If the Western way of life in Europe is at stakes then perhaps those in Europe that want to fight should go fight.

Lard

Dec 3, 2018
This sucks but I think that many people here just don't understand the concept of fighting a total war for survival. If you had a single Russian bomb go off in your neighborhood you might change your mind.

Always remember that its Russia who is forcing Ukraine to do this.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
If another country wants to take them, then they should, but Poland shouldn't be forced to keep them.
Under the Dublin Regulation, Poland is in charge of anyone who was registred here and I don't think EU regulations regarding refugees allow Poland to send them back in a country where their lives could be at risk.

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
I've known plenty of folks that want, wanted, and did fight in wars. So I don't agree.

If the Western way of life in Europe is at stakes then perhaps those in Europe that want to fight should go fight.
If Ukraine is unable to get more soldiers from the conscription then yes, Europe should send troops, with the US as a last resort. Too many Americans have died fighting Europe's battles in WW1/2. It's time to stop Russia. I don't condone genocide by Russia. They need to be stopped

Morgan1994

Dec 10, 2017
it's also unfair to leave the bulk of the fighting to the people who stayed in Ukraine. if they don't fight there's no more Ukraine and then they get absorbed into the russian forces to attack other countries.
Okay if this war is going that bad why isn't Poland forcing their people to help? Why is someone born in Ukraine forced to fight to the death instead of you or anyone else?

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
Jesus fucking christ people are really arguing that war refugees be thrown into the meat grinder forcefully? Insanely fucked up to sit in the comfort of your house forcing someone else to die for their country.

You dont know their life. You dont know the relationship they have with their country or their people.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
I think deporting people so that they can be conscripted feels wrong, but I don't understand people here being so against conscription in general. Obviously, it sucks and can be misused in unjust wars but it is also a reality of modern warfare. I know it's sort of cheap to refer to WWII but that war would not have been won without conscription. Should the Allies have let the cookie crumble because they could not win the war without instituting conscription? Telling people who think like this they should go and enlist is also sort of lame. If my country was getting invaded then I probably would accept being conscripted if I didn't volunteer first. Going across the globe to join an international legion is kind of different and it is obtuse to pretend otherwise.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Oh I see. That does shed light on the desperation of the situation, thanks.

I realised you were asking about the Ukrainian situation there after I posted, and things are obviously incredibly difficult (they've just expanded who can be called up to serve to those over 25, from 27) - but I've seen arguments that the Russians could just put hundreds of thousands of more people into uniform if they really wanted to, who would willingly fight, and that's not the case.

It's a grim situation that we've not seen in this part of the world for a long time, with the possible exception of the Balkan conflicts of the 90s.

Darkwing Duck

Banned
Sep 5, 2023
no one wants to fight in a war throughout all of history. Sometimes governments must do the difficult thing and require their people to fight. Russia cannot be allowed to win this war. The Western way of life in Europe is at stake.
So you're fine with Eastern Europeans dying to protect your Western way of life but you're "obviously not" going to volunteer to protect your way of life that Eastern Europeans are dying for, interesting.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
This sucks but I think that many people here just don't understand the concept of fighting a total war for survival. If you had a single Russian bomb go off in your neighborhood you might change your mind.

Always remember that its Russia who is forcing Ukraine to do this.

Whether I would decide to fight after a country bombs my neighborhood is irrelevant to how I feel about others refusing to fight.

If Ukraine is unable to get more soldiers from the conscription then yes, Europe should send troops, with the US as a last resort. Too many Americans have died fighting Europe's battles in WW1/2. It's time to stop Russia. I don't condone genocide by Russia. They need to be stopped

I've always believed that anyone who says folks need to go to war should go to war. I assume you'll be one of the first to volunteer?

I don't condone genocide either. But that has nothing to do with how I feel about conscription.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
God damn, that is grim. A generation of young men facing annihilation on the battlefield. I understand Ukraine's position, but I don't know if I support this. It feels like the West has failed them, especially the US. These young men will be marching into a desperate situation with their armies on the backfoot. Who am I to insist that they throw themselves into the meat grinder? It should have never gotten to this point.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I think deporting people so that they can be conscripted feels wrong, but I don't understand people here being so against conscription in general. Obviously, it sucks and can be misused in unjust wars but it is also a reality of modern warfare. I know it's sort of cheap to refer to WWII but that war would not have been won without conscription. Should the Allies have let the cookie crumble because they could not win the war without instituting conscription? Telling people who think like this they should go and enlist is also sort of lame. If my country was getting invaded then I probably would accept being conscripted if I didn't volunteer first. Going across the globe to join an international legion is kind of different and it is obtuse to pretend otherwise.

Nah. Anyone who says folks need to fight in a war should be the first to fight in a war themselves.

PatAndTheCat

Apr 1, 2024
God damn, that is grim. A generation of young men facing annihilation on the battlefield. I understand Ukraine's position, but I don't know if I support this. It feels like the West has failed them, especially the US. These young men will be marching into a desperate situation with their armies on the backfoot. Who am I to insist that they throw themselves into the meat grinder? It should have never gotten to this point.
Without the US, Ukraine would have already fallen. Biden rallied 50+ nations to send ammunition and weapons.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
I can't believe Charles Lindbergh brand isolationism still exists.

Mango Pilot

Apr 8, 2024
This is a really gross way to characterize people that don't want to be killed or forced to take a life all due to the circumstances of where they were born.
Become a conscientious objector, which is more than just not wanting to die, or face the penal consequences. You can't opt out of society.

I don't begrudge people not wanting to die, but in making that choice they have to understand what that choice means. There shouldn't be an easy "nah, not feeling it" when your country's invaded.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Just to make it clear, right now this is Poland offering, not Ukraine asking (yet) though Ukraine is halting issuing passports to men of fighting age.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
There is certainly a right and wrong here. Poland is a party to the refugee convention. They have an obligation to take refugees. If Poland cannot find another country to take then, then Poland must keep them, not ship them out to a country where they are in danger of being persecuted on account of their nationality or race.

You don't get to ignore international law just because it is too inconvenient for the war you want to fight.

Huh, I'm ignorant when it comes to the EU refugee law so I'll have to read up on it.

When Russia absorbs Ukraine, do those refugees get Polish citizenship?

Morgan1994

Dec 10, 2017
Because if Poland, a NATO country, deploys troops into Ukraine, we get World War III.
Oh so someone born in Ukraine has to fight to the death because if someone else helps then ww3 would happen but in Ukraine ww3 is already happening and once again if Russia is this crazy then stopping them at all costs should come first.

Also why would ww3 happen when everyone else doesn't like Russia and no one is on their side? So it would be all of Europe vs Russia. Just pushing them back doesn't seem to be an option considering that Ukrainians are being sent by force to die in this war:

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Just to make it clear, right now this is Poland offering, not Ukraine asking (yet) though Ukraine is halting issuing passports to men of fighting age.

Not sure if the article make it clear either, is that adult men under a certain age haven't officially been allowed to leave Ukraine since the war started.

Someone I know from work housed a Ukrainian refugee and her young son for a while - she wanted her father to join them down the line but he had to reach said age (over 60, I think?) before he would be allowed to leave.

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
They are ukranian, they know what is at stake deporting, they don't need that to be explained. They've made their choice. Deporting them would be extremely unethical.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
When Russia absorbs Ukraine, do those refugees get Polish citizenship?
No they either stay ukrainian (assuming a government in exile would be formed that is internationally recognized) or become russian citizens (in case of annexation russia is probably going to offer citizenship to ukrainians in a play to erase ukrainian culture and national identiy).

Lard

Dec 3, 2018
Nah. Anyone who says folks need to fight in a war should be the first to fight in a war themselves.

Do you deserve the protection of your countries army in the event of an invasion?

I grew up in Sweden which has the concept of "Total defense". Without it we would have no chance against Russia and already have been invaded and turned into slaves. Can I ask where you are from?

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
Oh so someone born in Ukraine has to fight to the death because if someone else helps then ww3 would happen but in Ukraine ww3 is already happening and once again if Russia is this crazy then stopping them at all costs should come first.

Also why would ww3 happen when everyone else doesn't like Russia and no one is on their side? So it would be all of Europe vs Russia. Just pushing them back doesn't seem to be an option considering that Ukrainians are being sent by force to die in this war:
Don´t be ridiculous, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about thinking this is anywhere close to a world war.

A NATO nation sending troops would obviously be different

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

oh sure let's completely ignore the logistics of this, like convincing your family you're gonna fight in Ukraine now ("I'm sorry, you what") and not knowing the language, and potentially having to go through military training in your country first, because Ukraine wouldn't even want your untrained, unexperienced ass

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
Except it's not a war my family, my home, or my country are involved in. I'm simply saying that I understand why a country might need such measures in a defensive war. I don't know how to quote it, but in an earlier comment you said conscription is only used in defensive wars for survival anyhow. But that's not really true. When I think of unjust conscription, I think of situations like Vietnam where I agree with anyone in America who wished to avoid service. This is rather different, I think. Again, I don't think Poland is necessarily right to deport anybody but I don't think conscription is necessarily unjust either.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Without the US, Ukraine would have already fallen. Biden rallied 50+ nations to send ammunition and weapons.
It's not Biden's fault, this most recent aid package was just held up way too long in Congress. What was the cost of denying Ukraine critical artillery and defenses for so long? How much worse is the battlefield situation these refugees could be thrown into? I don't know what the right answer is here, but I'm not gonna wag my finger at anyone who chooses not to fight.

Morgan1994

Dec 10, 2017
Yea it's unfair. Why did Europe have to fight Hitler?

Germany is in Europe like actually in Europe, also what European country likes or even wants to protect Russia. If you can send money, then you can send troops.

This is the only logical opinion, like you are telling people that their only option is to literally fight to the death and the funny thing is, is that you wouldn't ever do this. No one on this site would fight to the death in a war. So don't say you would, if you would, you would already be in Ukraine helping.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Do you deserve the protection of your countries army in the event of an invasion?

I grew up in Sweden which has the concept of "Total defense". Without it we would have no chance against Russia and already have been invaded and turned into slaves. Can I ask where you are from?

Deserve? Sure?

The US.

I mean this with sincerity - I wish this naive view was the way things worked.
I'm out of this thread. Fuck Putin!

Naive? Haha.

No, I just find it hypocritical to call for folks to go to war but not volunteer to fight in said war or any war.

oh sure let's completely ignore the logistics of this, like convincing your family you're gonna fight in Ukraine now ("I'm sorry, you what") and not knowing the language, and potentially having to go through military training in your country first, because Ukraine wouldn't even want your untrained, unexperienced ass

Why, yes. It would be hard. Who said otherwise?

If Ukraine doesn't want them, that's different. At least they tried to volunteer. Though, I imagine if Ukraine can train conscripts, often with other European countries' help, it can train foreign volunteers.

Except it's not a war my family, my home, or my country are involved in. I'm simply saying that I understand why a country might need such measures in a defensive war. I don't know how to quote it, but in an earlier comment you said conscription is only used in defensive wars for survival anyhow. But that's not really true. When I think of unjust conscription, I think of situations like Vietnam where I agree with anyone in America who wished to avoid service. This is rather different, I think. Again, I don't think Poland is necessarily right to deport anybody but I don't think conscription is necessarily unjust either.

Yes, I said conscription is used for defense. That doesn't mean I agree with conscription.

Arilian

Oct 29, 2020
Because if Poland, a NATO country, deploys troops into Ukraine, we get World War III.
Why ?

The USSR and the USA fought proxy wars at a time when someone thought nuclear grenades were a good idea and yet, they never went further than fighting these proxy wars.

If Poland sent its army to fight alongside Ukraine, Poland will not be able to invoke Article 5 when Polish soldiers are killed in Ukraine (I think Article 5 could be invoked if Russia started to attack Poland itself, but I don't think they would do it as long as Poland is only fighting inside Ukraine).

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
My grandfather fought Russians in winter war, there was no choice and we have a country today thanks to him and others who fought.

I'm also a conscript and ready to fight if Russia invades again, I won't have a choice either.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
ildu.com.ua

Join the Brave

International Legion for the Defence of Ukraine formed by Presidential decree right after the outbreak of full-scale russian invasion, the Legion has taken part in the majority of the crucial campaigns and battles of the war. The International Legion consists of infantry and special task...
What languages do I need to speak to be able to join the Legion?
As of right now, we only accept people who understand either English, Spanish or Ukrainian.
I do not have military or combat experience. Do I stand a chance to be selected?
Yes, especially if you have any other valuable experience. Please, make sure to list most of your useful skills and proficiencies.
Will I get some training?
Yes. Depending on the unit and on your skills. Some candidates are fresh from the military and can be deployed after a week or two of getting to know the command structure, the comms, etc. Others need more extensive training that can take up to 6 weeks.

bleck98534

Feb 18, 2023
If the US could get involved without Russia using nuclear weapons, I say go for it. The US air force would annihilate Russian forces in Ukraine in less than 72 hours.
I think you already left the thread, but I'll respond anyhow. Maybe I misunderstood the conversation, but I interpreted people talking about Europeans or Americans joining as referring to international volunteers, not those nations' actual armies joining the war. My comment about isolationism was mostly in regards to the way you referred to the second World War as merely Europe's battle and using that as a justification for Americans not helping, which to me seemed improper.

thomas_cale

May 22, 2020
Germany is in Europe like actually in Europe, also what European country likes or even wants to protect Russia. If you can send money, then you can send troops.

This is the only logical opinion, like you are telling people that their only option is to literally fight to the death and the funny thing is, is that you wouldn't ever do this. No one on this site would fight to the death in a war. So don't say you would, if you would, you would already be in Ukraine helping.
How about you speak for yourself, there are plenty active or former duty personnel on this site

MidweekCoyote

Mar 23, 2018
The only thing this will do is push them to the German border. If they were this desperate to avoid conscription until now, moving around Schengen shouldn't be that much of an issue to them.