• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Morgan1994

Dec 10, 2017
This. It's easy to grandstand with high morale's and ignore the realities of the world.

Without a forced draft in WW2 half of this forum would be speaking German or just outright dead for being Jewish, black or gay.

Think I'm gonna move on though, nothing to be won in this thread.
It's funny to say this and then go back and not have to deal with the actions of actually being in a war. Also, it's funny how it's only men who will have to be forced into this. It's all words no actions here. That's why pro-draft people have no backbone. You wouldn't do the same thing trust me.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
I don't really know what the answer is, but I know on a personal level I can't support a forced conscription.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
As Finnish, I'm personally:

- living 41 miles from Russian border with my family
- in a country that has 5,6 million people
- that has been invaded by Russia before
- that is being threatened every day by some Russian madman in the news

I would be Russian today if conscription didn't force my grandfather and others to fight in 1939 and I'm very thankful for their sacrifice.

I understand the viewpoints, but not all countries have the luxury of being far away with a nuclear arsenal protecting them, and massive population to draw volunteers from.
Everyone involved knows whats at stake here. The men who fled Ukraine instead of joining the military and fighting, know whats at stake, and chose to save themselves, instead of fighting for the cause.

You can disagree with that choice. And if you were in that situation, you might very well make a different choice. Thats fine.

My point, is that is should be left up to the individual people to make that choice for themselves. And its real fucked up to say that one group of people (able-bodied men between the ages of 18-35) should be forced to sacrifice themselves to save another group of people.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I would say. What's stopping anyone here?
I'm not pro-conscription, but I think the answer here is obvious. It's not our country being invaded. I'd be willing to fight if it was my country at risk, I'm not willing to go to war for some other country. That's likely everyone's answer to this question.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The Kremlin don't pay many people, they rely on well intentioned but misguided naïfs to do most of the heavy lifting for them.

Let's not tell folks why they feel as they do, yeah? I'm not telling the Finnish folks here that they are naive or wrong for feeling the way they do. I don't know their experience and I understand how/why they feel the way they do.

War has destroyed generations of my family, friends, and loved ones. It's not with naivety that I'm anti-war. It's with conviction.

I'm not pro-conscription, but I think the answer here is obvious. It's not our country being invaded. I'd be willing to fight if it was my country at risk, I'm not willing to go to war for some other country. That's likely everyone's answer to this question.

Folks shouldn't say that it's existential to Europe and the West then. Because I'd imagine they'd want to fight for that regardless of whose flag gets raised or worn.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

But then they shouldn't demand citizens of different countries to go to war. I would understand if Ukrainian citizens were saying that.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
To stop the destruction and genocide of the neighbor which you seem to want others to do? I didn't realize the flag you fight under was the problem as I was told this isn't about flags.
Unless the border runs straight through the village which non ukrainians are neighbors with ukrainians? First and foremost it's up to ukrainians to defend their own culture, language and national identity.

I understand the idea of the pacifism you're arguing for but in the eyes of a enemy like the russians what are you going to do if you don't resist? Give them half of europe like they want to? Keep running? Until when? Until they pushed you into the atlantic and your only choice is trying to swim to america? Are you ever going to resist? Are you going to tell the russian soldier it's unethical to rape your girlfriend or kill your family? You're trying to argue civility with someone that isn't acting civil.

I would love to live in a world where everyone could solve their conflicts with arguments. Unfortunately we're living in a world with monsters like Putin or Xi that don't agree very much and are rather using force to achieve their goals.

I respect your opinion but i feel like we're going in circles and aren't going to agree with each other on this topic so i'll leave it at that.

Oct 28, 2017
So the people already fighting in the trenches where a lot of them certainly don't want to be there right now should be let go then, too?

Or is it "well, you didn't manage to flee to another country in time, sucks to be you, I guess"?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Folks shouldn't say that it's existential to Europe and the West then. Because I'd imagine they'd want to fight for that regardless of whose flag gets raised or worn.
I agree with you here (and most of your posts actually)

But then they shouldn't demand citizens of different countries to go to war. I would understand if Ukrainian citizens were saying that.
Yeah, it's a tough situation and I think people are mostly commenting on what they would do in similar circumstances. I don't believe in shaming people for not going to war, but I do see why people here are in favor of the concept of conscription given the circumstances.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Unless the border runs straight through the village which non ukrainians are neighbors with ukrainians? First and foremost it's up to ukrainians to defend their own culture, language and national identity.

I understand the idea of the pacifism you're arguing for but in the eyes of a enemy like the russians what are you going to do if you don't resist? Give them half of europe like they want to? Keep running? Until when? Until they pushed you into the atlantic and your only choice is trying to swim to america? Are you ever going to resist? Are you going to tell the russian soldier it's unethical to rape your girlfriend or kill your family? You're trying to argue civility with someone that isn't acting civil.

I would love to live in a world where everyone could solve their conflicts with arguments. Unfortunately we're living in a world with monsters like Putin or Xi that don't agree very much and are rather using force to achieve their goals.

I respect your opinion but i feel like we're going in circles and aren't going to agree with each other on this topic so i'll leave it at that.

Countries are not neighbors? I thought it was a threat to Europe and the West as well? Which if it is the case, why won't folks fight with Ukraine? Is it really the flag being worn that is stopping folks? If so, then folks really shouldn't say it's about people.

I actually never argued for pacifism. I argued that folks shouldn't be forced to fight. I see nothing wrong with folks who volunteer to fight doing just that. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. Whether I would fight or not is irrelevant to my feelings on conscription. One can fight and be against conscription.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Everyone involved knows whats at stake here. The men who fled Ukraine instead of joining the military and fighting, know whats at stake, and chose to save themselves, instead of fighting for the cause.

You can disagree with that choice. And if you were in that situation, you might very well make a different choice. Thats fine.

My point, is that is should be left up to the individual people to make that choice for themselves. And its real fucked up to say that one group of people (able-bodied men between the ages of 18-35) should be forced to sacrifice themselves to save another group of people.

I get it, I really hope no one was required to be put in that situation. There's an Ukrainian family living next door to me, I hope the father will not have to fight and Russia can be defeated with the current force that's available.

Not a choice for me though, I will have no option to leave. If Russia appears to prepare for an attack, borders will be closed and I will be reporting to the nearest garrison to prepare.

Maybe it's fucked up but I do carry the full weight of my support in conscription, it's a duty.
I will be in the frontlines if Russia invades and I can only hope it buys enough time for my family to escape.

There would be not much time though. My home is in artillery range, a 2S35 howitzer can bombard it to rubbles in minutes if they wanted to make my city another Mariupol in a blitzkrieg attack.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
There's always a choice.

No one has to die for any country or cause it they don't want to.

Forced military service is wrong.
But there isn't a choice really. Someone has to die, either by fighting or allowing the enemy to annihilate your citizens. War is wrong, conscription merely a necessary evil.

Easy to say this from the safety of a keyboard when you're not the one having to go die in a ditch somewhere after a drone you couldn't even see takes you out.

If other western countries really believe the war is that important for the future, then they should be committing actual armies/navies/air forces to it, because they're going to have to eventually in your scenario and we might as well save the Ukrainians now then anyway.
I agree, it's easy to say and modern warfare truly terrifies me. We should be sending troops to help Ukraine, but sadly our leaders are scared of Putin.

You should volunteer! Thank you.
I thought about it when the invasion started, but I'm currently relieved from reserve during peace time, due to health reasons. If I'm fit to serve in the future, I'll think about it again.

This. It's easy to grandstand with high morale's and ignore the realities of the world.

Without a forced draft in WW2 half of this forum would be speaking German or just outright dead for being Jewish, black or gay.

Think I'm gonna move on though, nothing to be won in this thread.
Yup, Russia is basically Nazi Germany 2.0 now, but the concentration camps haven't been built.. yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
That is true too and I fully admit I was one of them. Georgia and Crimea were forgotten quickly and it was business as usual with Russia until the whole scale invasion. Even here in Finland.

we knew what we were dealing with since Checnya

"You should abandon your family and fight for your country", say people who know they will never have to

I would say. What's stopping anyone here?

You totally glossed over all the posts from people from Finland, yeah?

Davilmar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awful and unfortunate. Assuming this is a war for existential survival, I'm fighting every single day of the week. Not just for me, but my family and everything that matters to me. Terrible that forced conscription is the choice here, but war is horrific. We could have avoided so much pain if Europe and the US weren't cowards on Russia decades ago.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Always irks me. Having grown up around Flanders Fields, that shit isn't even my generation but the effects of an invasion and having to fight for the survival of your country is felt through the ages. It feels like Americans when they think of war always think about 'the boys being send overseas for war' and if they don't want to fight, they shouldn't have to. Fair enough. But there's a difference between that and not fighting while it's your friends children being kidnapped and shipped of to the invading country, your grandparents starving, your childhood home being bombed, every place you have memories attached to obliterated and everyone you know being impacted. The shit my grandparents had to live through..Not as soldiers but as citizens. Yeah, you have a choice. But also not really.

Some general war stuff that actually happened but you don't generally hear about when people talk about war: my paternal grandmother, with two toddlers, not being able to get enough food because she, as a devout catholic, refuses to give blowjobs to the only farmer in the neighborhood that still had crops while her husband, my grandfather who was a miner, was sent to Germany to do forced labor in a factory. My maternal grandmother's sister, who lived through two world wars, only to get hit by a jeep driven by drunk American soldiers celebrating their victory and dying during the liberation. My ex-girlfriends family house being confiscated by German officers because it offered a view on the North Sea and thus was a good HQ for them.

That's a very harrowing read. Thank you for sharing this.

It really showcases how fighting against invaders isn't just "fighting for a piece of land/flag", too. It's about survival, and protecting your community and loved ones.

People should be able to make their own choices here. If someone doesn't want to die fighting for Ukraine (or any other country), then they shouldn't be forced to.

Russia's invasion of Ukraine is terrible and should be stopped but, its way way easier to say that on video game forum 1,000s of miles away from the conflict, than it is to be directly faced with the prospect of having to die for that cause.
You could just as easily say that it's very easy to dismiss conscription as wrong or disgusting when it's not your own country being threatened by an invader.

I don't blame anyone fleeing their country rather than staying and fight. I can't say what I would do if I were in the position where my country were invaded, and I had the means to flee, but could choose to stay and fight. It's a difficult choice with no right answer here. I'd like to think I would stay and fight, as I like Canada and I like living in it and I would not fight for a piece of land but for my friends and family and community. If I lived in the US, or another country that treated me like shit, though? Heh, who knows what I'd do, honestly.

But if Canada were invaded by a foreign power and decided the only way to survive as a nation and a people, was to use conscription? I can't say that I wouldn't get it or that I'd find it inherently "wrong".

Regarding the refugees though: they are refugees and as such, protected from being deported by international law, as I understand it, so Poland is in the wrong here. That's separate from the topic of conscription in general, though.

Massive yikes is people living far away from this confict trying taking moral high ground because it's easy to say as it will not affect them.
Exactly. Like this nonsense:

The pro-presription sentiment in this thread is fucking disgusting. No one should have to be forced to die in a war.

Shame on everyone who says otherwise. Disgusting.
This is the kind of self-righteous, binary thinking that completely ignores the reality of war, particularly from the perspective of the people suffering from hostile invaders. Go tell Finns who still have a Finland today thanks to conscription, or survivors of the nazis, how disgusting they are. That is, if they can even hear you all the way down from your moral high horse.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to say this and then go back and not have to deal with the actions of actually being in a war. Also, it's funny how it's only men who will have to be forced into this. It's all words no actions here. That's why pro-draft people have no backbone. You wouldn't do the same thing trust me.

you realize that guilt-tripping one person arguing pro-conscription to move all the way to Ukraine adds one additional recruit vs. all the ones resulting from the conscription? what if people just changed their minds, then there's 0 recruits, because no one's volunteering and we're not having conscription either. then the discussion would be "won", but not the war.
like, these ad hominem "oh yeah, why aren't YOU joining?" are just ultimately pointless

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021

It really showcases how fighting against invaders isn't just "fighting for a piece of land/flag", too. It's about survival, and protecting your community and loved ones.

You could just as easily say that it's very easy to dismiss conscription as wrong or disgusting when it's not your own country being threatened by an invader.

I don't blame anyone fleeing their country rather than staying and fight. I can't say what I would do if I were in the position where my country were invaded, and I had the means to flee, but could choose to stay and fight. It's a difficult choice with no right answer here. I'd like to think I would stay and fight, as I like Canada and I like living in it and I would not fight for a piece of land but for my friends and family and community. If I lived in the US, or another country that treated me like shit, though? Heh, who knows what I'd do, honestly.

But if Canada were invaded by a foreign power and decided the only way to survive as a nation and a people, was to use conscription? I can't say that I wouldn't get it or that I'd find it inherently "wrong".

Regarding the refugees though: they are refugees and as such, protected from being deported by international law, as I understand it, so Poland is in the wrong here. That's separate from the topic of conscription in general, though.

This is the kind of self-righteous, binary thinking that completely ignores the reality of war, particularly from the perspective of the people suffering from hostile invaders. Go tell Finns who still have a Finland today thanks to conscription, or survivors of the nazis, how disgusting they are. That is, if they can even hear you all the way down from your moral high horse.

Excellent post

Morrigan

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
like, these ad hominem "oh yeah, why aren't YOU joining?" are just ultimately pointless
It's also just a really dumb gotcha, because the idea being defended here is conscription to fight to defend your own country from invaders, not joining another country's defense...

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It's also just a really dumb gotcha, because the idea being defended here is conscription to fight to defend your own country from invaders, not joining another country's defense...

You misunderstand.

The "why aren't you joining?" is pointed at folks who say it is existential to the West and Europe. Those folks say that you should fight against that which I understand. They would be defending their own country if it's a threat to Europe and the West. They claim it's not about flags and land but people yet won't fight under another country's flag.

Staff post - don't downplay warcrimes or troll New

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Listen, this is a distressing topic that's going to get people heated. Poland is run by an asshole, incase it's not already obvious.

Nobody is saying you have to be for the draft, but that doesn't mean you get to concern troll or downplay warcrimes and ethnic cleansing.

Putin's rhetoric has been absurdly genocidal since literally day 1, like literal Hitler shit comes out of his mouth every time he opens it.

I dunno what it is about this conflict, but for some reason it's really easy for a lot of people to act like it's not a big deal or there isn't boundless evidence of warcrimes and ethnic cleansing.

Seriously, have the discussion but don't downplay the shit going on.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
You misunderstand.

The "why aren't you joining?" is pointed at folks who say it is existential to the West and Europe. Those folks say that you should fight against that which I understand. They would be defending their own country if it's a threat to Europe and the West. They claim it's not about flags and land but people yet won't fight under another country's flag.

You misrepresent.

Nah not really. We just gave them 60 billion. Russia can't win. Ukraine just needs more men to ride out the rest of the war

You should go volunteer.
----
That people can't accept the hard truth that Ukrainians who have stayed and fight need help and those that fled should come home to help fight? This is an existential war against a country that is genociding Ukrainians and want to reabsorb Eastern Europe. It's a shitty situation for Ukrainians abroad.

Then go volunteer, you were provided a link.
----
Conscript the Polish defense minister, since they seem to like the idea so much.
---
Believing people shouldn't be forced to fight for a piece of land doesn't equal wanting Russia to win and it's crazy that you would land on that if someone didn't support this.

A whole host of horrific things have been done to people throughout history with "we're at war" being the justification. If people want to go fight for their country let them do so. If people don't want to fight don't force them.

I'm curious why you are fine with saying these people should be forced to fight? Meanwhile you're explaining to people why you didn't like a video game.

Is play less Zelda go fight against Russia something you plan on doing yourself?
---
If EU intervention wouldn't result in direct confrontation of nuclear powers i would have long supported military intervention in ukraine.

Many of those folks can serve in the Ukrainian foreign legion if that's the hang up.

Ukraine will gladly take your support, just sign up.
----
Why would they join a foreign organization?

I know you think you have some smart gotcha but I'm a reservist in the german army and would be among those first called up in direct conflict with russia so why would i join a foreign organization?

Fair enough, you don't feel the need to fight for Ukrainian existence. Why would you expect other people to?

Last edited:

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about people completely removed from the conflict demanding others to fight anyway

I am curious as to the Ukrainian Citizen's opinions.

Obviously a guess but, I don't think the ones getting shelled are happy that the others left them.

I assume they'll have surveys up for when they actually do start more conscriptions.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): trolling and misrepresenting other posters

My reply was directly to someone saying they would be fighting there if the EU would join in on the fighting.

That's not misrepresentation. That's literally exactly what I said. If it's a fight for the existence of Europe and the West, one can fight in it before their country specifically joins in. I would imagine folks who tell me that fighting for survival is a duty that should be forced on citizens would want to fight for the survival of their region, no? And if it's not about flags or land, why would joining the Ukrainian Foreign Legion to protect their home, people, and region be a problem?

Unless the flag and land does matter. It's the same fight but folks apparently must have their country's flag on their arm for it to be worth it for them.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
My reply was directly to someone saying they would be fighting there if the EU would join in on the fighting.

That's not misrepresentation. That's literally exactly what I said. If it's a fight for the existence of Europe and the West, one can fight in it before their country specifically joins in. I would imagine folks who tell me that fighting for survival is a duty that should be forced on citizens would want to fight for the survival of their region, no? And if it's not about flags or land, why would joining the Ukrainian Foreign Legion to protect their home, people, and region be a problem?

Unless the flag and land does matter.

This is 'literally exactly' what you said, moments ago:

This was their comment:

Are you genuinely unaware of how misleading you are?

Last edited:

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
This is literally what you said, moments ago:

This was their comment:

Are you genuinely unaware of how misleading you are?

It's not misleading. Folks are telling me that it's an existential fight for Europe and the West. They would be fighting for Europe and the West's defense and not just for Ukraine then. Why does it matter if you fight for Europe and the West with the flag of one country versus the other?

It cannot be both solely Ukraine's defense but also a war for Europe. If it's a war for Europe, they would be defending Europe and Ukraine. If their European country joined in officially, it would be in another country's defense as well as their own.

ratprophet

Jun 24, 2021
It's not misleading. Folks are telling me that it's an existential fight for Europe and the West. They would be fighting for Europe and the West's defense and not just for Ukraine then. Why does it matter if you fight for Europe and the West with the flag of one country versus the other?

It cannot be both solely Ukraine's defense but also a war for Europe. If it's a war for Europe, they would be defending Europe and Ukraine. If their European country joined in officially, it would be in another country's defense as well as their own.

Which 'folks' are telling you this? They certainly aren't the ones who were responded/referenced to in the post you quoted. That was actually the entire point!

According to your vernacular, can I assume you are American?

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017

The fact that you would feel very differently about fighting for your country depending on which country you lived in is exactly my point.

Who is to say how any individual would-be conscripty feels about Ukraine, maybe they like it, maybe they hate it.

And your absolutely right that I might feel very differently about things if it was my country being invaded, but its not. Which why this decision should lie soley in the hands of the people who's country is being invaded. And if they don't want to fight for their country, that should be their call to make.

Morrigan

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The fact that you would feel very differently about fighting for your country depending on which country you lived in is exactly my point.

Who is to say how any individual would-be conscripty feels about Ukraine, maybe they like it, maybe they hate it.

And your absolutely right that I might feel very differently about things if it was my country being invaded, but its not. Which why this decision should lie soley in the hands of the people who's country is being invaded. And if they don't want to fight for their country, that should be their call to make.
I don't think we really disagree, I just took a bit of issue with your "its way way easier to say that on video game forum 1,000s of miles away from the conflict", since it can be applied to both sides of the debate.

Feb 24, 2018

Yes I have, my grandfather was conscripted into the UK army during WW2 and the Aftermath and so many horrors and you know what, he was one of the biggest preponements AGAINST the draft because of the horrors it can afflict people that should never have been put into those situations and whose lives were wasted pointlessly. Same with many people in my area even those who weren't fighting because my area was heavily used in bomb making and POW camps, I've been to the sites of failed Operation Market Garden. Weaponizing nationalism pride to trick people into fight a war is wrong and result in so many pointless deaths in WW1 due to UK's militaries lies and incompetency. War justifies the means is very dangerous stance to take on no more binary thinking then that commentator and don't appreciate my grandfather being called a self-righteous coward.

And yes I am against the draft and would flat out refuse to join if the UK was invaded or in War. I have less than zero national pride and refuse to fight for a Government who wants me dead for being a trans woman and wouldn't bat an eye to call me a man to force me to fight; it wouldn't surprise so many trans "allies" would happily go with that if it meant they avoided it or happily declare I should be jailed or stripped of my citizenship for it given some of the comments in this thread. Like who am I even meant to vote for now when every party wants me dead and blames trans people for everything and with Brexit, has deliberately becoming isolationists for bigoted reasons. A country that is actively seeming to try everything it can to go backwards. It's wrong that the draft is gender biased and class biased because it's Always the working class who suffer, who are expected to die while the rich find loop holes and pay out of it or get cushy jobs, it's wrong to force people to fight when they clearly aren't qualified or have the want, the latter being a massive detriment in many cases.

I get why the Ukraine Government is doing this but sorry I don't agree.

Last edited:

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I don't think we really disagree, I just took a bit of issue with your "its way way easier to say that on video game forum 1,000s of miles away from the conflict", since it can be applied to both sides of the debate.

It can be for sure. My issue was just with the Russia winning would be awful (a point not in contention and an opinion I'm guessing shared by 99% of the forum) and so those people should be forced to fight. Personally it's hard for me to not take a little issue with someone saying those people should be forced to potentially die in this war sandwiched in between thoughts on a video game. Just seems like a privileged and entitled take. Even more so from someone who says those people should be forced to stop Russia and they aren't doing that themselves.

I say that as someone who would be willing to fight in a war on U.S. soil if needed. Which sounds weird perhaps.

But I also don't say it from a super judgmental place because I get the desperation in Ukraine. It's just not an action I'm going to support.

Last edited:

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I understand the Ukraine Government having conscription in defense.

I also understand wanting to flee.

The bad guys here are Putin and his cronies, not Zelenskyy nor anyone who flees.

Oct 27, 2017

The reality is that there is no correct answer, and both solutions are horrible. If you don't force people to fight, then bad guys win and lots of people die and are tortured. If you do force people to fight, then good people die who otherwise wouldn't have, and you take away agency. The only solid truth here is that Putin and Russia are to blame, not Ukraine, and any bad action Ukraine is forced to make is because Russia is making them. War is a horror and there is no way to escape it when others force it on you. There is no good alternative in this situation, and pretending there is (or that there is any moral high ground to the pro/anti-draft opinion in a defensive war) is just wrong.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
The reality is that there is no correct answer, and both solutions are horrible. If you don't force people to fight, then bad guys win and lots of people die and are tortured. If you do force people to fight, then good people die who otherwise wouldn't have, and you take away agency. The only solid truth here is that Putin and Russia are to blame, not Ukraine, and any bad action Ukraine is forced to make is because Russia is making them. War is a horror and there is no way to escape it when others force it on you. There is no good alternative in this situation, and pretending there is (or that there is any moral high ground to the pro/anti-draft opinion in a defensive war) is just wrong.
Very well said, I agree 100 percent.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Posts talking about the morality of Ukraine's draft ignores the present problem. Poland (and any other country hosting Ukrainian refugees) have to decide whether to let them stay or deport them. Under international law, a refugee is someone who fled their country because of genuine fear of persecution based on their race, religion, or nationality. This means every genuine refugee is the result of wrongdoing by someone else. It is incompatible with the purpose of the refugee convention to violate it by deporting refugees to force them to fight against their oppressors, then blame your choice on the oppressor.

Ukraine's draft is their choice. If Ukraine wins, and it wants to punish the people who fled the draft, that is their choice as well. But references to what Ukraine should or should not do does not address the present problem, which is what Poland should do now.

Morrigan

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
[snip]
I get why the Ukraine Government is doing this but sorry I don't agree.
To clarify, I completely understand opposition to the draft too, and have said as much repeatedly. I just don't agree with painting those defending the idea of Ukraine using conscripts as evil and disgusting or whatever.

Yeah this is where I'm at.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The pro-presription sentiment in this thread is fucking disgusting. No one should have to be forced to die in a war.

Shame on everyone who says otherwise. Disgusting.
Nobody should have to be forced to fight in a war. But when the war comes to you you are forced to fight or die in it anyway. If tanks rolled into my city I hope I wouldn't just pack up and tell the people I care about "well I'm off, see those of you who are still here when the dust settles later".

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Nobody should have to be forced to fight in a war. But when the war comes to you you are forced to fight or die in it anyway. If tanks rolled into my city I hope I wouldn't just pack up and tell the people I care about "well I'm off, see those of you who are still here when the dust settles later".

But we aren't talking about people who are in harms way, so it's by definition not a matter of fight or die.

I don't understand how this thread ended up becoming about the general merits of conscription when what is perturbing about the story is Poland suggesting they will deport Ukrainian refugees to feed the conscription drive.

And while there are those in this thread saying its a necessary evil to protect Ukrainian lives and prevent and stop an eventual Russian threat to the rest of Europe, when it's suggested that they sign up for the Ukrainian foreign legion to help achieve those goals, in place of those refugees, arbitrary mitigating factors like "Well they're not my country people, so I shouldn't have to fight" suddenly come into play.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Neither side can win so instead of sending men to there death I would rather the two sides talk to end this war.