• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The video was disturbing. The schadenfreude in the thread even more so. Fuck me the golden rule is pretty basic and no I ain't no holy roller; it's just basic humanity. You see an instance of near fascist behavior and you laugh, call it deserved or rationalise it because of morale equivalence you need to check your compass.

This could be anyone's grandmother.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Treated like what? Arguing with cops isn't a valid option. She got what she deserved, which was entirely due to her own actions.
This is the mindset that scares me. Arguing with a cop is not illegal, but you seem to think it warrants an arrest. And this is where I seem to disagree with certain people here. I've seen this happen first hand on several occasions, always to minorities, where cops will bother us, and with anyone has the audacity to argue, it turns into an absolute shit show because the cop feels like they can do whatever they want. Very quick to start barking orders and dehumanizing people, very quick to tell someone they're under arrest without an actual charge, then charge them with resisting arrest.

You and I clearly view policing differently. I think the notion that cops are always right and, if questioned, they are allowed to do whatever they want to you, is a dangerous way to think. So yes, I think arguing with a cop should be a valid option, it also isn't illegal, but the law doesn't really matter when it comes to police.

If they did this and only got tased. Yeah would that's 90% of cops episodes people laugh at

This is actually a great example. I find it sad that people enjoy the show Cops, where police misconduct is glorified and everyone laughs at the evil minority that they're manhandling. Again, disturbing. But Americans enjoy it.

Contraband

Nov 15, 2017
Hannah, Montana
The video was disturbing. The schadenfreude in the thread even more so. Fuck me the golden rule is pretty basic and no I ain't no holy roller; it's just basic humanity. You see an instance of near fascist behavior and you laugh, call it deserved or rationalise it because of morale equivalence you need to check your compass.

My grandmother would never be in this situation because she is not a huge piece of entitled shit?

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty sure my grandma would have a bullet between her eyes if she tried something like this. Obvious anyone is reserved for 'anyone white-passing'

The only thing about this video that makes me uncomfortable is the brazen entitlement of white people, when it comes to law enforcement.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
What a privileged ass. Getting angry about a ticket is one thing. But running from the cops?
Di0lDJJVAAEC_-E.jpg

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
This shit is not funny. Fuck these motherfucking pigs and fuck anybody who get enjoyment out of this, even as a form of catharsis

Oct 25, 2017
No? I said that excessive use of force is unacceptable in any situation, and that if society accepts cops behaving this way then they feel emboldened to keep using excessive force...which is clearly how things are in the status quo in this country, where police routinely use excessive force. It's something that has to be pushed back against.

There is no justification for using excessive force. None. By definition use of excessive force is wrong.
That's fine, but context leaves me with no sympathy for this fool who thought they were above everything

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black people have been KILLED for less. Let granny get zapped a bit for actually dangerous behavior.
Aye.
The sad part is that the whole time I was thinking that if she'd be a black woman, he would have knocked her out, and a black man would be dead with multiple gun shots.
This old lady hopefully will go through some counseling/ psych eval, because her reaction to a simple ticket was kinda insane (and full of white privilege).

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you get arrested for $80 ticket? That's seems ludicrous. Unless she is driving without a license or under the influence then is understandable but it seems ridiculous to get arrested for a an $80 fine ticket.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Why would you get arrested for $80 ticket? That's seems ludicrous. Unless she is driving without a license or under the influence then is understandable but it seems ridiculous to get arrested for a an $80 fine ticket.
Did you watch the video? She didn't get arrested for an $80 ticket. She got arrested for 1) refusing to sign for the ticket. 2) trying to escape from a law enforcement officer during a traffic stop. 3) assaulting a police officer.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

Fuck outta here, lmao. She got treated with kids gloves cause she's white. Let that be my grandmother and she'd have been shot dead. Even when one is dead wrong white privilege helps out and throws an assist.

Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch the video? She didn't get arrested for an $80 ticket. She got arrested for 1) refusing to sign for the ticket. 2) trying to escape from a law enforcement officer during a traffic stop. 3) assaulting a police officer.
2nd and 3rd point I can agree with but the 1st one is still ridiculous. Why would you sign a fine? Just send them via mail. Here in Australia, when the police fine you for this kind of thing they just let you go and you'll receive the fine in the mail no needs to sign anything.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
2nd and 3rd point I can agree with but the 1st one is still ridiculous. Why would you sign a fine? Just send them via mail. Here in Australia, when the police fine you for this kind of thing they just let you go and you'll receive the fine in the mail no needs to sign anything.
I don't make the law man. I just tell you what I know. Someone here or on reddit who is a lawyer can tell you better.

But if I have to guess, usually for small infraction, a ticket is given in place of having to show up to court, and a signature is required so that the person knows that this officer is accusing them of this traffic crime. They can either pay the ticket or contest it in court at a later date.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't make the law man. I just tell you what I know. Someone here or on reddit who is a lawyer can tell you better.

But if I have to guess, usually for small infraction, a ticket is given in place of having to show up to court, and a signature is required so that the person knows that this officer is accusing them of this traffic crime. They can either pay the ticket or contest it in court at a later date.
To follow on this, I also don't actually know traffic law, but this seems like if they don't put their signature on the crime, then they get taken in for it. You're avoiding going to the station for an infraction by signing the ticket.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand it's satisfying seeing a lifetime of white privilege get smacked down. On the other, systemic authoritarian police brutality is fucked.

I do like turning the racist use of "thug" so frequently used to dehumanize PoCs on its head to apply to someone like the woman in this vid (it would be fascinating if that ever took hold when talking about, say white COVID deniers).

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, compared to what usually happens, this cop is a saint of restraint and deescalation.
i doubt that very much, since i find it unlikely that a ticket usually turns into tazing, but i would still like a clear answer: if this was a black old lady in the video, would the police still have acted appropriately? because to me the answer is obviously no, just as it's an obvious no here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Yeah but even then, I mean where is she gonna run to, is she gonna go on the lam to Mexico or something? They got her plates, they can find out who she is. They shouldn't need her to sign a ticket, getting a ticket doesn't require the consent of both parties as far as I know, if she doesn't want to sign it she can go to court if a warrant gets placed. And assaulting... eh. Maybe she had an assassin's creed blade up her sleeve or something but I doubt it, and it didn't even need to be escalated to that point to begin with. Ostensibly, she did get arrested for a ticket because the rest of it didn't need to happen or wasn't a big deal.
I do like turning the racist use of "thug" so frequently used to dehumanize PoCs on its head to apply to someone like the woman in this vid (it would be fascinating if that ever took hold when talking about, say white COVID deniers).
That's a nice touch for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
If you refuse arrest, evade police, refuse to come out at gunpoint and kick said officer arresting you due to a 'bad day' or 'losing your shit', seek help friend
People lose their shit everyday; a State where the appropriate response is a tasering or worse is Fascist. People championing a show of Fascism as an appropriate response have lost touch with their Humanity IMO and truly do need to seek help.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Leaving aside that my grandmother, were she alive, would not refuse to sign the ticket (because sensible people know they can get out of tickets because cops don't typically show up to traffic court, DUH), would not drive off mid-citation and wouldn't openly assault an officer, ESPECIALLY if she was guilty... this all happened because she thought she was above the law, which is the height of privilege, right alongside people citing HIPAA to not wear a mask.

I think some folks here forget that the judiciary exists for a reason (at least for white people, anyways) and this would have been exactly that reason, had she not unlawfully resisted citation and subsequent arrest for attempting to flee and not been obviously guilty of a crime.

"But she wasn't a harm to anyone!", I hear some folks bleating. But the fact is, she was driving a truck with a busted tailgate and no tail lights. Allegedly for 6 MONTHS. That's a public danger, she's lucky that her vehicle wasn't impounded on top of the ticket. There's no presumption of innocence, she committed a crime driving that vehicle and there was physical evidence at the scene.

On its face, I disagree with the use of force by police, as well, as it is typically applied unnecessarily to innocent people who do their best to abide by the rule of law and police instruction. But claiming "fascism" in a non-authoritarian state on behalf of an obviously-guilty woman who thought she was above the law and behaved as such? With that line of thinking, we're practically giving this woman carte blanche to do whatever the hell she pleases, whenever she pleases. It's excusing unlawful and dangerous behaviour because of a distrust in the police when it's unjustified. Seriously, I think some of you need to get a grip.

Oct 27, 2017
Leaving aside that my grandmother, were she alive, would not refuse to sign the ticket (because sensible people know they can get out of tickets because cops don't typically show up to traffic court, DUH), would not drive off mid-citation and wouldn't openly assault an officer, ESPECIALLY if she was guilty... this all happened because she thought she was above the law, which is the height of privilege, right alongside people citing HIPAA to not wear a mask.

I think some folks here forget that the judiciary exists for a reason (at least for white people, anyways) and this would have been exactly that reason, had she not unlawfully resisted citation and subsequent arrest for attempting to flee and not been obviously guilty of a crime.

"But she wasn't a harm to anyone!", I hear some folks bleating. But the fact is, she was driving a truck with a busted tailgate and no tail lights. Allegedly for 6 MONTHS. That's a public danger, she's lucky that her vehicle wasn't impounded on top of the ticket. There's no presumption of innocence, she committed a crime driving that vehicle and there was physical evidence at the scene.

On its face, I disagree with the use of force by police, as well, as it is typically applied unnecessarily to innocent people who do their best to abide by the rule of law and police instruction. But claiming "fascism" in a non-authoritarian state on behalf of an obviously-guilty woman who thought she was above the law and behaved as such? With that line of thinking, we're practically giving this woman carte blanche to do whatever the hell she pleases, whenever she pleases. It's excusing unlawful and dangerous behaviour because of a distrust in the police when it's unjustified. Seriously, I think some of you need to get a grip.
No. Fascism explicitly normalizes violence. The woman was in the wrong. The use of violence was Fascist. However many people in here are saying that the response was too tame!

This woman could have been charged and dealt with without her life being put in danger. Honestly this isn't difficult.

You are all so used to the Facism you are calling for more of it.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but even then, I mean where is she gonna run to, is she gonna go on the lam to Mexico or something? They got her plates, they can find out who she is. They shouldn't need her to sign a ticket, getting a ticket doesn't require the consent of both parties as far as I know, if she doesn't want to sign it she can go to court if a warrant gets placed. And assaulting... eh. Maybe she had an assassin's creed blade up her sleeve or something but I doubt it, and it didn't even need to be escalated to that point to begin with. Ostensibly, she did get arrested for a ticket because the rest of it didn't need to happen or wasn't a big deal.

That's a nice touch for sure.

this is some hot take

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
She very calmly explained why she didn't want to sign it and he immediately said "you're under arrest". When she offered to sign it the officer said no.

This is a problem though. You can't just say "Oh let me sign the ticket now" AFTER you're told you're under arrest, lol. I mean, I guess he could have let her sign it and then arrested her, but that would be over the top. The police don't say "You're under arrest" and then allow YOU to walk it back. How does that make any sense?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a problem though. You can't just say "Oh let me sign the ticket now" AFTER you're told you're under arrest, lol. I mean, I guess he could have let her sign it and then arrested her, but that would be over the top. The police don't say "You're under arrest" and then allow YOU to walk it back. How does that make any sense?
can you articulate why exactly that doesn't make sense? what makes those words so magical that once a police officer utters them they cannot reconsider the situation?

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No. Fascism explicitly normalizes violence. The woman was in the wrong. The use of violence was Fascist. However many people in here are saying that the response was too tame!

This woman could have been charged and dealt with without her life being put in danger. Honestly this isn't difficult.

You are all so used to the Facism you are calling for more of it.
So your answer is "let her get away with a criminal offence, with the false presumption that you'll be guaranteed to find her later and keep her from continuing to be a danger to others". I'm glad we know where you stand on this. What's the point of having laws in the first place, in that case?

The escalation began with her, and escalation begets escalation, violence begets violence. Again, I'm against violence used by police, and I even agree that the taser was a bit on the side of excessive (I know it would not have been my choice), but this is not the hill you want to die on to make the point you're trying to make, with an obviously guilty woman who thinks the rule of law doesn't apply to her, to the point of assaulting an officer, as your poster-child. Trust me, there's PLENTY of better candidates.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

In my country a cop that needs to utilise a taser in a situation like this gets fired and this is a major incident of police using exessive force.

I don't get how people accept police officers just tasing people