• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hispanic/Latino/Latina/Latinx Era what is your preferred term for your ethnicity?

• Hispanic

Votes: 114 35.7%
  • Latino

Votes: 141 44.2%
  • Latina

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Latinx

Votes: 13 4.1%
  • Latine

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • Latin-Americans/LatAm

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Latino/Latina (written and said together)

Votes: 12 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see it being adopted, gender is soo ingrained into the language and Spanish people are PROUD of Spanish, many of them have the mentality that it's a superior language to English.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Latinx, a Spanish speaker, and every time "my people" go on their rants about how I can't use a word that -finally- makes me feel at home among my ethnic community for the first time in my life after decades upon decades of enduring homophobia and abuse from my family and friends for daring to be a little different, I die a little inside. Thanks to everyone in this thread for their contributions, and for always being so quick to forget that this isn't all just about white English speakers and their thoughts. Plenty of us in this shit just want to be seen - but with the way this conversation always goes, we never will be until we're six feet in the fucking ground.

I've constantly wondered about who they're polling with this kind of stuff, since I'm sure we'd see the same type of opinions with the population at large with the use of pronouns, and I always think, "Why should I care what the majority think when the people who need this aren't a part of that population?"

I appreciate you speaking on this.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with language evolving, but Latinx being used in Portuguese or Spanish feels like a type of linguistic imperialism. Adding x to so many words also fucks up with text reading tools used by the visually impaired.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
On topic - I'll call people what they want to be called. This term seems manufactured, so I was always a bit confused by it, but if someone asked me to use it in reference to them that's fine. It clearly has not met widespread use, so likewise I would not default to it.
Exactly. If someone explicitly says they're latinx I will use it for them. I would also ask what they think about latine out of curiosity and if that's okay too.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the way this website thinks white and hispanic are mutually exclusive categories is beyond me. in 2021! pls learn the difference. one refers to race and the other refers to language spoken

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Too many responses read like they either don't know the term was created by and for trans and non binary community members or they do know and they don't care.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
FWIW, the ire seems reserved for (largely) white politicians and activists pushing it in the media as the default term for all Hispanic/Latino people. I don't think anybody has a problem with as a term of self-identification.

It definitely feels like we're being talked down to when politicians use it. That's about as far as my feelings with the word go.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Commentary Around Inclusive Language
Always seemed like an unnatural, manufactured term made up by someone with no actual appreciation for the spanish language or its people.

And don't get me wrong, the intent may have been good, but the execution was terrible. Glad people are starting to see the term for what it is.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
Three different answers lol, but the latter two sort of coincide with each other. I'd like to see this video, just for curiosity's sake.
i don't remember exactly which video that gif comes from, but the guy's name is amrit bains. He has an extensive filmography, and it's all lovely.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever seen anyone use the term, outside of Era and Twitter.

I'm not bothered by it though. I understand that some people prefer to use genderless language.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White Canadian here, I don't want really want to add any view of my own, in that I don't think it'd be worth anything.

Mostly I'm trying to understand the objection to the term, in that it's about using a gender neutral term in languages that are gendered. That's not something I really feel I could go Yay This, Nay That on anything involved, my only real thoughts on the term are in it strikes me as inclusive of non-binary folks who'd use it.

Like I guess the way I'm understanding it at the moment is that it's a term for NB people in a language that lacks one and that's really all I see it as, but I'm also someone lacking reference to the larger picture. Obviously this would not be as big a tussle if it was solely about gender neutral terminology for people who need it.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I'm a cis pan Chicano and I use Latinx. Most Latinx people I know use Latinx or are indifferent (Southern California). Only one person I have ever met in person who hated it was a conservative Latina in my old master's cohort.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Always seemed like an unnatural, manufactured term made up by someone with no actual appreciation for the spanish language or its people.

And don't get me wrong, the intent may have been good, but the execution was terrible. Glad people are starting to see the term for what it is.
You really should read the thread before dropping nonsemse like this.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Please call me latino, Hispanic, puertorriqueño, or boricua. I do not identify with any other label.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Too many responses read like they either don't know the term was created by and for trans and non binary community members or they do know and they don't care.

A lot of progressive language on this site is automatically attributed to white academia...in the same way that a lot of culture is appropriated by white people.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I identify as Chicano but will tell white people I'm Latino if I'm needed to be classified.

I won't comment on the Latinx label being used by non-latinos to save myself from getting whitesplained but more power to you if you identify as such.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Count me on this one. Its just such a damn stupid word to say and even hear which gets worse when you try to apply it to other words. How the fuck are you supposed to say out loud "Todxs" or "nosotrxs" and not sound stupid?
How the fuck are you supposed to say out loud "joto" or "puto" or "Maricón" and not sound stupid?

Get a good answer from those people who use those words, and get them to stop using those words, and I'll stop needing Latinx as a way to feel seen and safe around my people. All words are fucking made up. We make up new ones all the time. Spanish speakers have made up words to talk about new technological concepts as they've come up, just like they have everything else. Why is this the one area where the language can no longer evolve?
I've constantly wondered about who they're polling with this kind of stuff, since I'm sure we'd see the same type of opinions with the population at large with the use of pronouns, and I always think, "Why should I care what the majority think when the people who need this aren't a part of that population?"

I appreciate you speaking on this.
Very good point, and thank you. At least in the US, we know LGBT people aren't all that much of the population - so to the extent it is primarily LGBT Latinx people who use that word, of course the polling is going to reflect not much use. But nope nope nope, folks here are eager to erase us and say that such data means no one ever uses Latinx, and therefore no one ever should.

All I desperately want is to be part of my own people. Latinx is the only word that lets me do that. Fuck right off.
I'm really fucking sorry you have to deal with this shit.

I've asked the mods to look into enforcing a rule about how we speak about this term, it's really gross how conversations happen in these threads.

fuck those people caring so much about their precious "language"

fuck that.

you are seen
bumping this post in hopes more people read it
I am really sorry for this. I think anyone who identifies and feels represented by latinx should be respected in their preference. I think the experiences of some queer Hispanic Americans are so fundamentally different to the rest of Latin American queer people where Latinx makes more sense so I think the term has its value, but I also understand how some other Latin American queer people feel the usage of x as culturally invasive. We can use both e and x!
Doesn't matter what the intent is when the impact is making people feel like alvmew expressed above.

Thanks, folks (:

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Hispanic feels is too broad most times, hell Latino is too broad a lot of the times to encapsulate the average way you discuss your background, heritage, etc in Spanish. Its difficult to make it a 1:1 translation into English in a way that is meaningful for non native Spanish speakers though. If I meet a Brazillian, neither of us is going to introduce ourselves as being Latino if we're shooting the shit. Hell, if I meet another Mexican, I'd expect for them to describe themselves as whatever part of Mexico they're from if we're talking in Spanish. Call one of my good friends el Michoacano for the very fact that he's from Michoacan. The way these things are talked about in Spanish always seems way too granular to ever make a meaningful distinction in English. At this point I assume if the average American is talking about Latinos, they're probably just thinking Mexican if they're closer to the west coast or some sort of Dominican on the east coast. The buckets are just too big vs the effort Americans are willing to put in to distinguish.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
I still don't understand why people keep trying to "ungender" Spanish, It's not happening. You would have to change so many words/gramatical rules that you would end up with a new language.

It's one thing trying to add a couple of words, but trying to change the language at a fundamental level like that is not happening.

I think the term should be used with those who identify with it. Same with Latine. But I agree with you, trying to "ungender" Spanish is not going to happen without the language being fundamentally different. I think the issue at the heart of the pushback is the term being used to identify general groups instead of individuals, that was always going to end in a quagmire.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe English speakers don't see the big deal, but there's no Spanish word that combines those 3 phonemes and it's therefore challenging to pronounce for native Spanish speakers who don't speak English (in other words, most people in Latin America).

Backlash against the word is not backlash against any identity, you never see "latine" being targeted like this.

Nah, it's absolutely infused with a larger backlash against acceptance of certain identities, so-called political correctness, efforts to make language more gender inclusive, and so on. You don't see "latine" being targeted as much because the backlash is fundamentally visceral, unexamined, and that particular word just isn't infused with the sort of baggage "Latinx" has been.

The pronunciation thing is overstated. For one thing, language isn't that rigid: we absorb words with foreign pronunciations all the time, including Spanish, which has borrowed a large number of English words, and pronouncing Latinx perfectly is hardly essential to its utility. Either way, I think it's totally okay if Latinx is a term that mostly has currency in bilingual Hispanic American communities. That doesn't make it inherently offensive.

I think the term should be used with those who identify with it. Same with Latine. But I agree with you, trying to "ungender" Spanish is not going to happen without the language being fundamentally different. I think the issue at the heart of the pushback is the term being used to identify general groups instead of individuals, that was always going to end in a quagmire.

You're never going to fully "ungender" any language. That doesn't have to be the end result to make it useful to add gender neutral terms.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
The large amount of posts saying things like "get rid of it, it's just white people nonsense, etc...".

If only a small amount of people identify with it, the rest should just stfu and respect the term.
I don't have a problem with latinx or Latino. Everyone has a right to the label that they feel best identifies them, and everyone else should respect that.

What I do have a problem with is when people use latinx as a catch-all label. People have a right to identify with whatever label they like, but that doesn't extend to a right to force everyone else to identify with any particular label; especially one that 98% of us don't identify with. It is the opposite of inclusivity. If you really want to be inclusive, say any permutation of "latino, latina and latinx".

Oct 27, 2017
I am not Hispanic but have a wife and child that fall into this discussion. Whenever possible, I tend to refer to people by their place of origin. Like they are Mexicano, Puerto Rican, Cuban, not Hispanic or Latino. If I do not know where they are from or their culture then maybe but I'd try to find out more info to give more credit to their background.

I would much rather people understand and refer to my family (again I am not this) as Mexican than Latino/Hispanic where possible. Each demographic has different issues and cultures so I tend to feel breaking it down by each group is good, though of course many issues are also universal too.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Joseph M. Pierce is the Associate Professor of Latin American and Indigenous Studies at Stony Brook University. He tweets about the Latinx controversies fairly often, and his arguments are worth checking out, but I found this article he mentions to be the most comprehensive take on it:

Mexican X Part X: What the Hex a 'Latinx'?

And guess what? YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE IT.

You don't have to use Hispanic. You don't have to use Latino or Latina or Latinx or (please let this win out) LATINE.

You can be Chicano or Mexican American or Boricua or WHATEVER THE HELL you want to be.

But, get this, friend. You don't have the power / authority to stop others from using WHATEVER THE HELL they want for themselves or to refer to the nebulous collective we [mostly] mestizo folx from Cemanahuac make up.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Latino/Latina please or Hispanic

I get Latinx but I dunno man, some people in the community can't get used to it.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Latino/Latina please, latinx sounds like we're XMen

HoarseComposedBactrian-max-1mb.gif
Another shit post. Jfc...

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with latinx or Latino. Everyone has a right to the label that they feel best identifies them, and everyone else should respect that.

What I do have a problem with is when people use latinx as a catch-all label. People have a right to identify with whatever label they like, but that doesn't extend to a right to force everyone else to identify with any particular label; especially one that 98% of us don't identify with. It is the opposite of inclusivity. If you really want to be inclusive, say any permutation of "latino, latina and latinx".

what specifically about latinx do you think excludes you

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the gif was too much, I deleted it and cleared it up.

Latinx I know was made for NB and yet, I think NB use Hispanic
It's still a terrible post mocking a term someone ITT has expressed is important to them.

You can ask to not be called it, but mocking it the way you did "sounds like we''re X-Men" is shit.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Nah, it's absolutely infused with a larger backlash against acceptance of certain identities, so-called political correctness, efforts to make language more gender inclusive, and so on. You don't see "latine" being targeted as much because the backlash is fundamentally visceral, unexamined, and that particular word just isn't infused with the sort of baggage "Latinx" has been.

The pronunciation thing is overstated. For one thing, language isn't that rigid: we absorb words with foreign pronunciations all the time, including Spanish, which has borrowed a large number of English words, and pronouncing Latinx perfectly is hardly essential to its utility. Either way, I think it's totally okay if Latinx is a term that mostly has currency in bilingual Hispanic American communities. That doesn't make it inherently offensive.
I don't know what to tell you, people who are not fans of the word are proposing "latine" in this very thread. I'm one of those, and for what is worth I'm gay and I have no intention of "protecting" the sanctity of gender or the Spanish language.

You're right, we have adopted lots of words from English - then proceeded to mispronounce them to death. No one in say, Mexico, pronounces Google, Netflix, or Starbucks the same way English speakers do. You end up with "gúgul" (a good example of how we suck at word that end in a consonant cluster), "yutub", "estarbocs", "netflis", etc.

It's a losing battle. It's not going to happen, at least in Spanish speaking countries. And that's not an attack against any identity.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand why people keep trying to "ungender" Spanish, It's not happening. You would have to change so many words/gramatical rules that you would end up with a new language.

It's one thing trying to add a couple of words, but trying to change the language at a fundamental level like that is not happening.
Sadly, that's the case.

Mexico still use homophobic slurs in soccer games and while the comedy has toned down to exclude homophobia, it still edges to the surface.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Yes it is.

You do not yet to propose other words for people to use when they have one they idenify with. It doesn't matter, at all, about the way you think language should be.
If you're telling me to call someone "latinx" - I can do that, I speak English.

Would it be problematic if my mother mispronounces it?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Technically speaking there is a neutral gender in Spanish in some situations. It's not so clear like German for example but it does exist. Problem is neutral nouns are... masculine. You only change pronouns and articles. Sometimes. It's weird.

So latine seems like a good solution, latinx I don't know, all the latin people I've met refer themselves as latina/o and that's it. Better yet, by their country of origin.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
You're never going to fully "ungender" any language. That doesn't have to be the end result to make it useful to add gender neutral terms.

I agree, there is nothing wrong with adding them for general use, needed in fact. My point was that the push back comes from framing them as the correct broad identifier, that will just create needless friction. I think for the majority of Spanish speaking folks (who do not have the background in its origin or appreciation for its use) it does appear forced. We just need to keep working on educating folks so that they can dissipate the terms as affronts against their language and instead as extending it to be more inclusive.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I've seen it mainly used by trans people who speak Spanish and want representation. I have no problem with it.

FWIW, the ire seems reserved for (largely) white politicians and activists pushing it in the media as the default term for all Hispanic/Latino people. I don't think anybody has a problem with as a term of self-identification.

I'm not sure this is the case when so many people even in this thread don't like the word at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're telling me to call someone "latinx" - I can do that, I speak English.

Would it be problematic if my mother mispronounces it?
No? We can't all pronounce words perfectly that are required to be respectful, we do our best.

The issue is was highlighting, that you sidestepped there, was that you do not have the right to propose alternatives to those who identify with it. That is really shit.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
It's still a terrible post mocking a term someone ITT has expressed is important to them.

You can ask to not be called it, but mocking it the way you did "sounds like we''re X-Men" is shit.

I apologize. I took it down.

It's just I just know the Hispanic community has violently rejected it and it's just a battle that will sadly never be won. The latin community still can't comprehend the non binary spectrum.

They just see it as a term white folk made up.

I dunno what's the answer honestly.

I remember Biden or Harris used the term and it got this weird blowback like he said a slur.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
No? We can't all province words perfectly that are required to be respectful, we do our best.

The issue is was highlighting, that you sidestepped there, was that you do not have the right o people alternatives.
I'm not coming up with any word myself, latine is already way more common with Mexican LGBT YouTubers.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Spreading Misinformation Around Inclusive Language
Never heard anyone use it who isn't white, female, extremely educated, and painfully conscientious. A solution for a problem that never was.

(I'm sorry this was an inconsiderate post, it reflected my limited perspective)

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to have to disagree with that. You really think there is no issue with homophobia or transphobia in the entire Spanish speaking community.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I apologize. I took it down.

It's just I just know the Hispanic community has violently rejected it and it's just a battle that will sadly never be won. The latin community still can't comprehend the non binary spectrum.

They just see it as a term white folk made up.
Then they need to learn to listen to trans people and those who identity with the term.

Which is the entire fucking problem.

Never heard anyone use it who isn't white, female, extremely educated, and painfully conscientious. A solution for a problem that never was.
Another terrible post.

Read. The. Thread.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
While I'm aware of the origin of the word, to me it still feels kind of like it's from the same "groan and roll your eyes" genre of new terms as "womyn." Maybe I'm being ignorant

edit: sorry, should have read more of the thread before posting this. It seems like it's more widely used than I'd assumed, and I hadn't thought about some of the arguments brought up. It still sounds super wonky/artsy-fartsy to me, but if that's how people genuinely want to be referred to then I guess that's just my own ignorance after all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.