• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you rather be forced to one-way time travel:

• 500 years to the past

• 500 years to the future

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Great thread, OP. Enjoyed reading all the responses.

Thank you!

It may not seem like it, but I really do try to make these polls thought-provoking enough to spur interesting discussions. Despite this landslide of a poll, I have enjoyed seeing everyone's reasoning behind their answers.

Yes but wouldn't you want to know?

Not if my life is the price to pay for sating such curiosity :P

WTF you guys realize you would walk a wasteland if telelported 500 years into the future.

Edit: The second I replied it struck me that curiosity is a big motivator to travel to the future. Just to make sure I was right I would go to the future (voted past though).

Yes, it may very well reflect on our base human instincts; the ones that compelled us to continue exploring the world of the unknown for thousands of years.

Not if it's a one-way ticket.

Exactly!

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Will I be able to use my knowledge of what has happened or understanding of modern technology if I go into the past?

Yes!

EDIT:

Something else I suppose you could do is write down the most fundamental principles and equations to modern science on the back of your map. It would be pretty difficult to decide ultimately what to try and fit on there, but it's something!

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm brown. Easily the future based on that alone but also because I'm extremely curious to see what the future is like. Even if there's a chance it's a Mad Max hellscape.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With that, I would lean to the past but 500 years removes a lot of QoL conviences, but I could always help speed up technological and societal advancement. The future is too unknown. Might end up the only living creature on an unlivable planet, or be like a caveman unable to function because so much has changed.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I knew the future was some nuclear fallout there is no way I'm going 500 years into the past. I'll take my chances with the unknown.