• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
You can read the full article here: https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/20/17483492/crackdown-3-microsoft-developer-reagent-games

Last week at E3 2018, we spoke with Microsoft Studios head Matt Booty about the status of the destruction mode, which the company hasn't shown since that 2015 demo. Booty confirmed the destruction-heavy online multiplayer mode remains in development. "It is still part of [Crackdown 3]," said Booty. "We're not showing a lot of details about that here. We'll have more to show as the year goes on."

Asked for clarity on whether or not this meant Cloudgine and Microsoft's own cloud tools would power the mode, Booty responded, "You know, I'm not going to get into the actual technical breakdown. Let's just say that we've got access to a great infrastructure, and the game's got some great tech in it, and we're going to put those two together in the way that makes the most sense." Booty's response marks a sharp departure from Spencer's 2014 claims about the role Cloudgine would play in the final product.

Booty also confirmed that Microsoft is no longer working with Jones or Reagent Games on Crackdown 3. "We're just working with Sumo [Digital] right now," said Booty. "That's our main development partner. And as you know, I'm sure you know, any game has got a number of folks that come in to help us with content and some development, but Sumo's our main ... Sumo is our main partner on Crackdown."

If you didn't know the studios that are/were working on CD3:
  • Reagent Games (David Jones, design)
  • Cloudgine (Cloud tech)
  • Ruffian (Multiplayer)
  • Sumo Digital (Campaign)
The article doesn't clarify if Ruffian is still on the project, but Cloudgine is now part of Epic games and Reagent Games appears deserted. It sounds like MS is now using their own cloud tech to power the Wrecking Zone multiplayer mode in CD3, which we will apparently hear about later in the year according to Matt Booty.

Sumo and MSGP team now seemingly leading the project.

Phil Spencer talking about CD3 with Jeff at Giant Bomb:

(timestamp 42:22 if it doesn't work.)

You can see the graphical improvements between E3 2017 and E3 2018 here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/crackdown-3-e3-2017-trailer-vs-e3-2018-trailer.49841/
2017:
cd38ak1n.png

2018:
cd3elqkb7.png

Last edited:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
As long as it plays like an improved Crackdown, it'll be fine. Anyone knows if Cloudgine is already implemented in UE4 since Epic bought the tech?

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why they've dumped so much time and money into this, were they afraid to cancel it because of the scalebound backlash/optics ?

OP
OP
JINX

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed inevitable with the heavy rumours about the game going through serious development problems, that MSGP would fully take control of the project, Sumo being a talented and large studio that can take on the brunt of the work. With David Jones selling Cloudgine to Epic and the updating of his Linkedin profile earlier in the year, MS has been internally developing cloud tech for games as well. Based on the improvements from 2017 to 2018 it was clearly for the best, Sumo's a great team so hopefully them and the MSGP team of creative directors can make a fitting sequel to CD1 since CD2 wasn't.

EDIT: An old lead on CD1 is a lead on the project at Sumo.

Last edited:

Cardon

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
This game is either going to wow us with some great technical wonder or it'll simply be meh and make for a great chapter in Jason Schrier's next book given the apparent strenuous dev cycle.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
God, there was this interview with Phil where he was also talking about who exactly was working on the project. I can't find it back, but it could've been Jeff's interview with Phil at E3 2017 or the IGN Unlocked one. That was after the E3 2017 demo and he noted that the original lead designers of CD1 were involved with the project. Not sure how much of this holds up in 2018.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Probably too many hands on the project or they're parts on the project are done so they moved on idk.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
I wasn't all that impressed by what I've seen so far but If it plays well and is fun, that is all that matters. Definitely taking a while to get released.

Deleted member 35126

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Didn't realize Reagent were off the game along with David Jones (and seemingly Cloudgine tech). Hope it comes together in the end.

Oct 29, 2017
I just hopes its a fun game . They do not seem to have much confidence in the game as being a huge crackdown fan I would of just like improved visuals , bigger map and just improved handings of character and it would of been a good game .

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I don't know why they've dumped so much time and money into this, were they afraid to cancel it because of the scalebound backlash/optics ?
Open world games are the current hotness, superheroes are popular - there's some obvious logic as to why Microsoft is investing in a Crackdown 3.

I don't think it's as much about optics, as it is about making the best use of their available IP.

DontRaff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it works out and doesn't visibly look like a too many cooks in the kitchen type of game.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 2 was worse than Crackdown, and a lot of people suspect not leaving it with Dave Jones is the reason.
Shame it seems they reversed their decision again about his involvement in CD3.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
The one that didn't get cancelled sounds more and more like it should have been cancelled. Hopefully it turns out great. We'll see.

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
Phil Spencer on Giant Bomb said they kept delaying this because it didn't feel like Crackdown. Were these OG guys too ambitious or did they just lose their way? Either way, I guess is fine if the game is good.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I didn't know ReAgent games was off the project. Cloudgine seemed a bit obvious since they were bought by Epic.

Matt just confirmed what's been rumoured for a while, no? That the MP is pretty much finished and it's the campaign holding the game up.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
The game looks better now that its only Sumo on it. Seems more like Crackdown and not like Agents of Mayhem.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I feel like Crackdown 3 should have been cancelled a long time ago. We're over 5 years into the dev cycle with barely anything to show for it.

If they cancel another game the backlash is going to reach orbit I think.
It's just not an option for MS anymore.

Also, 5 years is nothing ;)
TLG was announced for the PS3 in 2009 and it became one of the best games I've ever played.

xabbott

Oct 28, 2017
Florida
What's going to be interesting is even with Sumo taking everything on they've been on it at least for 3 years, see the 2015 annoucement. So whatever we end up getting in February I'm sure it won't look like something that has been in development that long. Unless we're in for a big surprise but if that were the case I fee like we would have saw more by now.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4, or 5 development studios worked on it? Dev hell. Let's see how the final product will be. It doesn't look good in the moment imo.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the multiplayer mode doesn't end up scrapped.

The technology they showed all those years ago, as part of a Battle Royale game, seems like a great fit. It would make ridiculous amounts of money too.