• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
www.polygon.com

GameStop employees report extreme pressure from ‘desperate’ bosses

In multiple interviews with Polygon, store managers and staff speak of plummeting morale
GameStop store managers and retail staff say the company is taking increasingly desperate measures to shore up sales, as the video game retail chain struggles with a massive loss of revenue caused mainly by a broad consumer shift to digital purchases.

In more than a dozen interviews with Polygon, current and former GameStop employees spoke of a tightening regime of strict sales targets and intrusive customer scripts, designed to extract as much value as possible from the company's dwindling base.

All the employees we spoke to said they were concerned about the future of the company. Most reported their customer numbers had decreased noticeably in the last year.
"The company is frantic and distrustful," said one assistant manager. "You can feel it in every message they send. The structure is falling apart and they're scrambling."

I think they'll close a thousand stores this year," said one former store manager with many years' retail experience. "They have to cut costs. The games retail market is dying." Another manager said: "My store is well known for solid sales performance. But customer traffic has dipped significantly in the past two years. Aside from some expected high-traffic days like Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and major game release days, we're missing our daily sales plans almost every single day."
"Things have changed drastically," said an assistant manager. "Our district manager is pushing tech trades, like iPhones and tablets, as well as [pre-order] reservations. No one cares about the games, or the customers, anymore. It's obnoxious."

Polygon has been shown evidence of target sheets that managers are required to fill out, demonstrating that they have given purchase quotes to 50 customers on their used phones every week, with five leading to a transaction.

"I would rather not ask every customer what kind of phone they have, who their carrier is, and how much memory is on the device in order to quote them [a trade price] while they're in the store looking for a game," said an employee.
"I don't think [senior executives] even believe that this is just a cyclical downturn," said a former executive, who left last year. "They're just trying to keep investors happy, and pad their bonuses before they parachute out."
Much more at the link.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Part of why people dislike going to GameStop is being asked a billion questions when all they want to do is buy a game, and they want to make that worse?

Oct 25, 2017
The phone trade thing does sound obnoxious, but I'm not really sure I have a better solution to offer. It does seem like a dying business model.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I just need them to last through May so I can pick up my TLoU CE

I used to be a GS employee years ago, they were heavy on pushing sales back then too. Can't imagine how it is now.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The transition to full on pawn shop was inevitable, and in their desperation, it looks like we're here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I remember years back (I was an ASM) and my District Manager demanded to know why our visitor count died down a lot (we had only 2 people walk in that entire day) and she demanded that we start advertising by us holding signs in front of other company store fronts inside the mall we were located at. my SM & I never did it, as that was an area we wanted no part in due to the legal grey area (our DM insisted it was perfectly legal). I left that job after two years of work shortly after and never looked back.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
My friends at the store I used to work at have to keep a HAND WRITTEN LOG of every customer they told to bring in tech trades. It's insane. My old DM is a fucking psycho so this checks out.

I usually take Gamestop internet news with a grain of salt due to the agendas people have against them and the disregard some posters have for people losing their jobs but this is very real and sad. They're gonna lose a lot of employees due to this because the stress is just not worth it and the pay most definitely isn't either.

I'm glad I quit in 2013 when the Xbox One "no used games" thing happened. Yeah, they eventually reversed it, but I knew that with their reaction to that it would only get worse. 8 years was enough of my life wasted in that cesspit. (My store was good but corporate and my DM were awful. Even most of the customers weren't that bad. But Corporate and overzealous leadership is what will sink this ship for good.)

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I worked at a GameStop in high school. Extreme pressure from desperate bosses is something common at the store level.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not socially awkward around cashiers or anything, but being upselled three or four times per transaction gets exhausting.

I remember buying Jedi Fallen Order and being asked if I pre-ordered Animal Crossing yet and I was like... ??????????

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I usually visit my closest GameStop and the only difference I see is 1 employee working instead of 2. They act pretty much the same as usual. Just out of pity I usually try and buy something cheap but these damn games are still so expensive, even the one's release at the start of the gen o_O

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait, they're asking you what kind of phone you have so they can try to get you to trade it in? Who trades in their current phone without being able to buy a new one (unless they're also into phone sales as well)?

Oct 27, 2017
Part of why people dislike going to GameStop is being asked a billion questions when all they want to do is buy a game, and they want to make that worse?
Yeah, before a local game store got bought by another one, you couldn't set on foot in there before someone shoved a preorder list in your face. I actively avoided going in there for that same reason.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Fuck just let me buy games without being harassed. Why I stopped going to gamestop. Bunch of clueless execs with overpriced MBAs running shit. I bet they spend all day on their phones browsing linkedin without doing any actual work while the company sinks.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
I feel sorry for all of the employees, but GameStop won't be around much longer in their current direction, and I don't think it is fixable at this point.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is why I'm unlikely to pre-order a PS5/XSX with Gamestop. They might not even exist by the time the consoles come out.

Adapt or die. Looks like they made their choice.

Oct 30, 2017
I just don't ever enjoy going in there.
It just feels so tacky and the whole thing is an eye sore.

If I'm ever going to buy a disc I feel that it'd be a better experience to walk through a Target or Best Buy.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
They need to close half their stores and completely change their business model. Fuck this pawn shop/thinkgeek bullshit and just go back to selling games. They won't do it of course and as a result will be out of business within 2 years.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just wish management didn't push all this shit on the other employees. It's not their responsibility to save a sinking ship.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to wonder if they would still be in a mad scramble downward if instead of doubling down on shitty sales tactics that work through heavy handed pressure, they instead focused on offering quality products and hard to find physical copies of games.

Selling games that have been opened and played as new, offering chump change for valuable and relevant games, and extreme pressure to preorder new games or buy used copies when I want to buy new is why I stop going there.

It also doesn't help that they treat their products like trash. Throwing away cases, and artwork and so on. Those things are the reason I value physical purchases, if I didn't give a damn I would just buy digital all the time.

I'm probably in the minority though. Maybe people wouldn't care if they improved in the ways I think would help. Maybe physical is just dying and Gamestop isn't to blame for their own failings.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every EB Games I've been to has been super casual and non-intrusive. They just process my order and we all go about our day.

At most they ask me if I want to get disk coverage.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The transition to full on pawn shop was inevitable, and in their desperation, it looks like we're here.

A pawn shop + a Funko Pop emporium. I went to a GameStop for the first time in years last month to just sell some old games. I was amazed at how much floor space was now dedicated to not video games. It's just littered with ThinkGeek merch, Fortnite action figures and MOUNTAINS of Funkos. At one point the phone rang and the clerk behind the counter answered the with the line "Thank you for calling GameStop, where we'll buy your used phones and tablets, how can I help you?"

I just felt bad.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
This. One of the reasons I've gone mostly digital is because I got so sick of playing twenty questions with the cashiers every time I wanted to buy something. I know it's not their fault, but damn was it an annoying process.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Thanks to games like Fortnight Lan centers have made a resurgence. Too bad Gamestop didn't hop on that train. It would have been great for them to provide a place for people to play games together while providing the games and systems for blocks of time. My local Lan center frequently holds Console, Pc, and Arcade fighting game tournaments. All gamestop has to do it integrate selling used games into that model and bam, they are in business.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Feel awful for the workers. I hope if GameStop goes under that something can fill the void besides a retro games store.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Polygon has been shown evidence of target sheets that managers are required to fill out, demonstrating that they have given purchase quotes to 50 customers on their used phones every week, with five leading to a transaction.

I can see a goal of giving quotes to 50 people in a week, which seems high, but possible. But how many people are even *able* to at the drop of a hat trade their phone in? Is a single person going to say "wow, that seems good" and stand their, wipe their phone, pull out the sim card, and go without a cellphone until they buy another one?

And they want 5 people per week to sell you their phone?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
ive said this before but they really fucked up by buying out their competition and keeping all the stores open.

Oct 25, 2017
Games retail spaces are dying in the same way that book retail spaces did, i.e., the big corporate companies are going away and local stores and mom 'n pops will step in and do robust business.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I worked there for 3 years in the early 00s it was the same then. District managers constantly coming in to pressure you to get sales.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
5fa.png

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I can see a goal of giving quotes to 50 people in a week, which seems high, but possible. But how many people are even *able* to at the drop of a hat trade their phone in? Is a single person going to say "wow, that seems good" and stand their, wipe their phone, pull out the sim card, and go without a cellphone until they buy another one?

And they want 5 people per week to sell you their phone?

A 10% conversion rate on asking people to hand over their phones is laughable.

This is what happens when you have executives who only care about margins and don't care about the customer experience. GameStop is doomed if these are the people in charge.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Canada where it's still EB Games, but the one by me here in Vancouver is pretty solid. More Funko Pops and merch than I'd like to see, but the trade deals are solid and employees aren't too pushy. I'm not even sure we do tech trades here. if we do, they've never mentioned it to me.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the same commentary could be made about GAME in the UK. I walked into a store the other day for the first time in a long while and it really does feel like a terminal situation in there. Highest prices for physical games available anywhere and walls of Funko Pop figures... I can't see that being a path for a retailer to get out of trouble.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, they're asking you what kind of phone you have so they can try to get you to trade it in? Who trades in their current phone without being able to buy a new one (unless they're also into phone sales as well)?

Yeah this is nuts. No one is ever just pawning off their phone for cash without knowing what they're replacing it with. And definitely not at a GameStop of all places.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me, I bought a GameInformer subscription from GS in December (for the PlayStation cover), and I still haven't received anything. Order still says pending, wtf.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
They need to close half their stores and completely change their business model. Fuck this pawn shop/thinkgeek bullshit and just go back to selling games. They won't do it of course and as a result will be out of business within 2 years.
There's no need for a video game store anymore with the advent of digital.

Moving into physical games is actually the correct course of action, they just need to dig in way deeper. Make it a tabletop game chain.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've set foot in a GameStop once in the last 6 years. I traded in my PS4 with a busted controller on a deal for a Pro and it was a steal. That's literally the only time I've been in one.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There stock surges dramatically after every new console generation but I don't think they are going to make it through the entire generation. At this rate I see them surging due to new consoles coming out this year but with games being more and more digitally purchased and cloud streaming there really isn't going to be a use for GameStop in the near future. Especially since the culture of the company is so bad I don't see them being able to adapt even if they wanted to.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Went to the Gamestop closest to my work the other day to get Baldur's Gate and Torment bundles because they have both for $19.99 and I walked in at right about 5:15pm and no one was in there and the guy at the desk just started bombarding me with questions and talking about not having anyone come in for hours. I don't go very often but it used to always be busy as hell in that store.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There was always pressure from middle management to get things up. The thing that's changed now is that there's enough evidence that this business model is about to put the company out of business, not just some attempt to push numbers up aggressively for the sake of making more money. I felt when I worked there, they would praise us for achieving out sales goals and immediately start encouraging us to do even better. Upper management never could just count a win when I worked there, but at least at the store level, we'd brush off that shit and just congratulate the staff for hitting goals.