• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robaperas

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
"I work an average 70 hours a week," said one employee. "There's probably at least 50 or even 100 other people at Epic working those hours. I know people who pull 100-hour weeks. The company gives us unlimited time off, but it's almost impossible to take the time. If I take time off, the workload falls on other people, and no one wants to be that guy.

"The executives keep reacting and changing things," said the source. "Everything has to be done immediately. We're not allowed to spend time on anything. If something breaks — a weapon, say — then we can't just turn it off and fix it with the next patch. It has to be fixed immediately, and all the while, we're still working on next week's patch. It's brutal.

"If I got to the end of an eight-hour workday and I turned to my supervisor to ask if I needed to stay on, they'd often look at me as if I was actively stupid.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/23/18507750/fortnite-work-crunch-epic-games

All of this sound like a nightmare, crunching for a release date that never comes

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Money hand over fist is being made and they can't hire a B team to help with updates and tweaks to give these people some breathing room?

Real cool.

BoredLemon

Nov 11, 2017
"One senior guy would say, 'Just get more bodies.' That's what the contractors were called: bodies. And then when we're done with them, we can just dispose of them. They can be replaced with fresh people who don't have the toxic nature of being disgruntled."
Tim Sweeney working hard to make game industry a better place, i see.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Money hand over fist is being made and they can't hire a B team to help with updates and tweaks to give these people some breathing room?

Real cool.

Absolutely. I'm very glad that they're giving creators some of this money in the form of the Epic games store payment cut, but if they're not treating their own people right, that feels like an empty gesture to me. Staff up! People aren't even effective workers when they're working 80 or 10 hours a week.

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite is literally printing money. You would think Epic could find a way to reduce the workload on their employees. I know throwing extra manpower (i.e., FTEs not contractors) at problems isn't always the answer, but it couldn't hurt to try.

People have been yelling and complaining about Apex's (admittedly) horrible Battle Pass, but if the alternative results in working conditions as described in the article then I'd rather have a shitty BP or no BP at all.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Yeah I figured something like this was happening with how the game was being updated.

They've basically worked themselves into a hole because it's what the audience expects now.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you hit a goldmine with a trend it's about sucking corpses dry as quickly and efficiently as possible until the bubble bursts/next trend emerges.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Also, is this the first article from the "Press" that has actually dared to say something negative about Epic since EGS's launch?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2010-2013 League of Legends all over again, though I thought Epic would have the pedigree to know this crunch isn't healthy or sustainable.

Storybook

Oct 27, 2017
This is just terrible. Sometimes I work 12 hours a day at my job if I felt there's a lot of work needs to be done but I can never do this everyday.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
It's the story that never ends. Reminds me of the Uncharted 3 Behind The Scenes videos, or Mass Effect 3 for that matter.

Evil Executive Stereotype: "Your hard work of 3+ years of making said game turned out a 90 on metacritic? Oh, that must mean you must be some kind of golden goose! You have 1 year to ship the sequel, and we know you'll manage because you just proved how talented you are! Just give us more of that!" $$$$$$

Really awful that one success isn't allowed to come alone. This culture needs to learn to give developers some space after one hard cycle of crunch. I actually really respect the cases where a successful game shipped and didn't cause the developer to immediately chase the money they could squeeze out from keeping the success alive.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, you either get Apex level of support or you get fortnite level of support at this cost.

The solution isn't as easy as hire more people. It's never been a solution.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
usually I don't have a problem with crunching for a project finish as a principle *for any field of business*. I worked for a semi-conductor chip design company, and we had to crunch at the end of projects for maybe 2 or 3 months (every couple years or so). that's understandable to me, and anyone who criticizes that type of crunch is BS and just don't know business

but this particular case sounds bad, because there is no "final release date" to work toward. that's actually BS

Deleted member 18742

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't epic get more done and faster with more employees doing 40-45 hours instead of less employees but doing 60+ hours

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Real cool.
Throwing people at software development doesn't really work in some direct fashion; it's not like adding people to an assembly line or adding another register / employee at a store.

And in this perpetual state of crunch adding people can be nearly impossible.

The "solution" is for Epic to slow down updates for a while, add people during that time, which will slow things down even more for a while, then possibly in the future they can have a better work/life balance. Without slowing down the release cycle nobody is ever going to get a break.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well great, now I don't want to play Fortnite anymore. I haven't in months, but I was thinking about enjoying the Avengers thing this week. Guess I'll be sitting that out now.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I work an average 70 hours a week," said one employee. "There's probably at least 50 or even 100 other people at Epic working those hours. I know people who pull 100-hour weeks. The company gives us unlimited time off, but it's almost impossible to take the time. If I take time off, the workload falls on other people, and no one wants to be that guy.

This sounds almost exactly like where I work at. Plenty of PTO, but can't "really" use it. Damn.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I figured something like this was happening with how the game was being updated.

They've basically worked themselves into a hole because it's what the audience expects now.

This is the problem. I don't see the situation changing anytime soon. That sound like some miserable working conditions.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I hope no one is actually surprised by this news. I'm sure all those devs are being fairly compensated for all that extra work /s

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
The frenetic update pace that is seen in Battle Royale and Creative is pretty absent on the Save the World side

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
This is horrible and crunch should never be condoned in any industry but as an interesting side-bar on this becoming a normal news story:

I think the game industry has come much further in publicity and whistleblowing for shitty management practices than a lot of other industries stuck in their old ways. I'm an engineer and in my 10 years I have been through a ton of crunch, sustained long crunch, and never once has someone outed the companies to media or has it become public. My lawyer friends put in constant ridiculous hours that could easily be alleviated by hiring more attorneys.

Props to gamers, whistleblowers, and media for holding their feet to the fire and hopefully causing a tipping point. Wish it occurred in my industry.

This sounds like the definition of hell.

My last engineering company had to break their "200 hour max vacation roll-over" rule for a couple years because people were worked so hard they couldn't use vacation and they near rioted when the company told them they couldn't carry over more than 200 hours.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Near weekly updates have to come at a human cost. Fuck this shit. I fucking hate Epic yo. I know its a problem in the entire industry but Epic is already on my shit list, fuck the hire ups more. Especially Tim.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do we hear of this only now? Kinda remarkable the quality of the game hasn't taken a splunge with what turnover they must have.

Suddenly Apex Legends taking it slow doesn't feel so bad anymore.

They getting overtime paid for this? If not simple do your contracted hours and walk out the door..

It's right in the article. Tey're using peer pressure to force people into overtime.

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017

Real cool.

It's very hard to hire that many people, that's why they moved all their other teams into Fortnite.

A better question is why don't they slow down the updates a bit, because the game probably wouldn't suffer that much.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think that a game being perpetually updated would eliminate the insane crunch needed for a game that has a hard set release date. Except its undoubtedly worse since there's literally no end to it

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Crunching is terrible, but it seems people don't read articles anymore.

Regarding why not hiring more:
The source added that Epic rapidly hired new staff to handle the deluge, but that the problem couldn't simply be solved immediately with more employees.
As work piled up, Epic tried to hire its way out of the problem. At first, the Fortnite Battle Royale team was around 50 people, but that more than tripled as the game became more successful.
"We've continually hired, slightly more than doubling Epic's full-time employee base since Fortnite launched in 2017," Epic's spokesperson said. "Throughout, we've always been eager to hire great people. The limiting factor on hiring is not financial but the speed at which we can find and onboard highly qualified employees.
In the year prior to the launch of Fortnite Battle Royale, Epic had been downsizing its QA department, in an attempt to move to automated systems. But the company halted the initiative after Battle Royale hit, and quickly hired new contractors.

Regarding the employees:
"It is a hard, grindy, crunchy life," said one source. "Everyone understands. You are being paid more money than most people will ever make in their careers anywhere else. Your time is bought and accounted for; shut up, keep your head down, and do the work.

"Most employees don't mind crunching if you are giving them three times their salary in bonuses. A lot of people leave. They come in, think to themselves 'I am gonna stick it out for four bonus checks, and then I am out'."

The game industry is harsh af.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very hard to hire that many people, that's why they moved all their other teams into Fortnite.

A better question is why don't they slow down the updates a bit, because the game probably wouldn't suffer that much.

Because is a way to crush the competition and keep the people constantly coming back to the game.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Does the game really need weekly updates? Like there are easy solutions to this problem, and it being like the biggest game in the world I feel their employees should definitely be sitting pretty. THEY earned it.