• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Via Polygon

The article outlines a number of reasons for the diminishing traction to Destiny 2

Destiny 2 seems to have fallen off the map, after launching to considerable sales and excitement just six months ago. It promised a bigger world to explore and more stuff to do than its predecessor did. The game launched to rapturous acclaim, from this outlet and from pretty much all the others.

So why does it seem like no one is playing anymore?

2017 was the year game publishers tried to push microtransactions to the next level, and the audience pushed back. Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 were the worst offenders, and both games have become cautionary tales. Bungie built the sequel around the Eververse real-money economy, and this adjustment poisoned many of the features that should have been clear improvements over the original game.

There never should have been a Destiny 2
Continuity encourages commitment. Players feel invested in their collections, in their characters and in the community, and that keeps them playing. When Destiny became Destiny 2, it severed that link. Bungie blew up everything the community had built, and took away everything players had earned and purchased. They came into Destiny 2without the stuff that had tied them to Destiny, and that made it easier for a lot of players who had previously been heavily committed to the game to leave.

The Gear was too Flat
Destiny 2 lets everyone reach the power cap by doing weekly milestones, most of which are pretty easy. Higher gear levels are no longer limited to high-end players. And the Trials of the Nine and Iron Banner PvP modes no longer give advantages to players with higher-level gear. Everyone who has kept up with most of their milestones over the course of a couple of months has the same maxed-out power level.

That may have been a big win for accessibility, but it was kind of a disaster for a game where the motivation to keep playing is a quest for more and better gear. In the original Destiny, raiders came back every week to keep inching their power level higher. For more casual players or nonraiders, events like Iron Banner or Sparrow Racing League, which offered raid-quality gear, were a big incentive to log back in.

Destiny 2's PVP Changes were Unpopular
This was a response to some problems with Destiny's PvP metagame, but the changes weren't well-received. Getting kills tended to require coordinated fire, which was hard to achieve in solo-queue modes. Super moves took longer to charge than they had in the old game, and with fewer people in matches, there were far fewer opportunities to pull off spectacular multikills. PvP felt slower and less exciting.

Destiny 2's First Expansion Disappointed
December's Curse of Osiris expansion felt light on content. The missions were short, the new patrol area was tiny and the Infinite Forest, which had been teased as akin to a procedurally generated environment, was underwhelming. It was just a bunch of hallways randomly stitched together that you run through on the way to some mission objectives.

The expansion did come with a new activity called a "raid lair." Raid content is always the best Destiny content, but Leviathan, Eater of Worlds wasn't really a complete raid, and didn't reinvigorate the community. Expansions should get players excited about coming back if they've left the game, but Curse of Osiris was easy to skip.

Can Bungie Turn it Around?
However, while Bungie is finally correcting course, the Destiny franchise is at a low point, largely because of the misguided focus on Eververse in the early months of the game. Bungie is in a hole it dug for itself, at a time when it faces unprecedented competition from other shooters. Winning back lapsed players often means pulling them away from Fortniteand Overwatch. And the sentiment among the community seems to be different than it has been at previous low points for the franchise: People may have hit their breaking point.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
one of the worst sequels i can think of, even if only for throwing away all lessons learned from its predecessor.

it's dead, jim.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like all these articles are the same thing. I think we all get at this point that Destiny 2 is in a really bad spot.

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and I don't feel sorry for Bungie one bit. They knew exactly what they were doing and continued to ignore the fans from the first game. Bunch of pompous idiots.

If they had balls they would scrap D2 and just make D3 a big expansion of D1. But they will keep trying (and failing) to "fix" D2.

Non

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 was so disappointing. I remember playing so much Destiny 1 and telling all my PC-only friends how excited I was to play D2 with them, and then this thing came out that was 30-40 hours of realistic content, tops.

So much missed opportunity, I just HAVE to believe that something similar to Destiny 1 happened. This is a studio that needs to embrace a more agile development method, like REAL bad.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
The whole Destiny 1 collection is $40 at best buy while 2 is $30 and I've seen it go lower than that. It's crazy bad it didn't stick with the fanbase.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I am not sure is it dead since i am not interested in the game and i don't own it but it's pretty clear even to me that no one is talking about it. It's kinda forgotten.

First game was much bigger.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Props to all the critics who gave D2 super good reviews and inspired a bunch of us to buy a game we don't play anymore. Hell yeah.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm done with it. There are far more enjoyable games available and incredible experiences like God of War or hopefully Spiderman coming soon.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's not dead. I think a lot of the recent changes are pretty great and the game will be at a way better spot when people come back for DLC2.

But is it anywhere close where it needs to be?

* Sigh *

No.

At least they finally recognized that weapon slots and random rolls need addressing.

Oct 25, 2017
Basically the only way they can salvage the game is if the Septemeber expansion is in the vein of A Realm Reborn and manages to bring over a lot of D1 content to the game world that should have never been left behind but redone to fit within D2 and it's mechanics, in addition to new and meaningful content.

Oct 30, 2017
When Destiny 2 launches and had almost all the same problems Destiny had before The Taken king, I got frustrated. You guys fixed all of these issues, so how are they back? And why did you invent new problems? The new crucible was awful. The end game was practically non-existent, and the raid, of which all the previous ones ranged from decent to incredible, was awful.

First expansion dropped and I still haven't finished the new content. I did the first couple missions and decided to play more rewarding games.

At no point during Destiny 1's slump did I uninstall, but Destiny 2 is already removed from my PS4. Before launch I was considering double dipping on PS4 and PC. Playing through the game and doing as much of the content as I could, which wasn't a ton, convinced me not to.

They can save Destiny 2, but I don't think I'll bother either way considering how big a step back the release was The Taken King felt like Destiny 1.5, a fantastic overhaul of many of the issues I had with base Destiny. Destiny 2 felt like Destiny 1.25 to me. A step back, and what really felt like a $60 expansion pack.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I feel like all these articles are the same thing. I think we all get at this point that Destiny 2 is in a really bad spot.

You are not wrong.

But what kinda shocks me is how Destiny 2 had a very strong reception at release, but everyone now seems to bash on it. The 180 in Destiny 2's case is interesting.

Also, looking back, Did Bungie really need to make Destiny 2 instead of keep working on Destiny 1?

That is a very fair question.

Fistwell

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it? If there's something interesting happening at some point, I'm happy to check it out.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The focal point will be the fall expansion. I know a lot of people have said they'll never touch Destiny again but people are easily lured back in. The expansion is really good, then people will return. If it's bad or mediocre, they're not coming back.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2 is fickle. Im not hard core into
Destiny enough anymore to know why the fan base hates it exactly, but personally for me i burnt out before the 1st d2 expansion, and didnt feel that osiris looked compelling enough to be worth my time. I also felt that as a solo player or someone who doesnt have a ton of psn friends nothing in the game got me excited enough to go into the lfg forums like i did for d1's raids

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
I spent 5x more time with D1, and haven't booted up D2 for 2 months. However, D2 is still good for 30 hours of playing, more with friends. For me that's well worth the money (not the DLC). Disappointing, sure. Misstep, sure. As long as one can still play the campaign, and find enough people for strikes or PVP, how can it be considered dead?

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not dead. I think a lot of the recent changes are pretty great and the game will be at a way better spot when people come back for DLC2.

But is it anywhere close where it needs to be?

* Sigh *

No.

At least they finally recognized that weapon slots and random rolls need addressing.
The last update only made the pvp worse. They didn't lower TTK (despite the community asking for this since they started nerfing shit in D1), and now that everyone moves slightly faster it's even harder to finish someone off. Team shooting is even more important.

Bungie has shown time and time again they don't know how to improve anything or make things more fun. All they know how to do is nerf things to oblivion (and then act like they did something amazing).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think the rise of Overwatch and Fortnite and Battlegrounds is a good point, in that it's a competitor for attention with some new super hot titans. It can't weather the storm as easily being the new addicting fad.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I hope it is. Bungie should just move on to the next release and focus on knocking it out of the park than trying to fix all of the problems with destiny 2. With how long it takes them to update and fix each iteration in this franchise, they'd be better off moving on rather than taking a year or two to just make destiny 2 play like destiny 1.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Should have gone the WoW route. There's a good reason why there's no World of Warcraft 2.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Im sick of these articles. Almost everyone is doing these.

No it's not Dead. They have added cool things and have a lot ideas. Just let them time.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
They should show the number of hits their stories on the game got as time went on. Even if they don't want to give out numbers, relativity would be helpful.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So do they answer the question they raised?

The focal point will be the fall expansion. I know a lot of people have said they'll never touch Destiny again but people are easily lured back in. The expansion is really good, then people will return. If it's bad or mediocre, they're not coming back.
This is probably what a lot of people feel who didn't hate the game from the start. Destiny DLC has never been worth the price. So once I'm done with the main game I'm done with Destiny, until the TTK expansion or sequel returns.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I might be willing to give it another chance if Year 2 sees a Taken King sized leap or larger, but then again stuff like DQ & Spidey will be coming around the same time and RDR2 & BFV soon after so nevermind .

Last edited:

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Does anyone even have faith Bungie can pull together a Taken King style rebound? Cuz at least Destiny 1 had plenty of players hooked up until that point.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
They need to Diablo 3 it and give us more enjoyable ways to farm loot because right now its not fun. Strikes are boring, Raids are okay but you can't farm them and they take a ton of coordination, public events are SO boring, non stop loading screens and fast traveling and the same 3 things over and over. They need to give us some sort of Rift system where its randomized and you face a boss at the end and are guaranteed loot. Give us multiple difficulty levels and the harder things are the higher the glimmer and drop rates are. This isnt rocket science. Obviously if they did something like that they would really need to redesign perks, add a ton more and randomize them so we have things to farm for after we get them. Right now once I get a gun I don't need to ever farm for it again. BORING.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
k5eJW87.png
JPaZ6

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
If the game is dead, Bungie absolutely deserves it. They've had a million chances with the franchise and always manage to fuck everything up through some combination of incompetence and bad faith.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you have to ask..

I feel like the type of game they're trying to offer isn't going to work with the competition on the market right now.

Personally I was never into Destiny online. But if the game was more story focused, something like HZD. I could be more interested.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
My group of friends that played Destiny 2 and bought the expansion moved on to Monster Hunter World as soon as it was released.

Then some of them started playing Sea of Thieves when that came out. None of them went back to D2, it's not even represented on my friends list anymore.

I liked D2, I got my money's worth, but other games came out that scratched that co-op and loot itch.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
"The game launched to rapturous acclaim, from this outlet and from pretty much all the others.

So why does it seem like no one is playing anymore?"

Because these mostly shallow reviews aren't a good indicator for lasting qualities that this sort of game needs? I bet if the majority of reviewers actually took a more in-depth look at the systems and how they would forge the game longterm, rapturous acclaim wouldn't have been there.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
No, it's not dead.... but it has one chance to bring back those who left when the big expansion is released this year... though I doubt they'll ever have the numbers they used to have during Destiny 1.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I don't think they're wrong - logged on last week after being away since uh ... Christmas, I think. It was an absolute ghost town at primetime, just days after a big patch dropped that was more or less a flat power increase and also - actually (!) - fixed some of the most common complaints about the PvP. From what I read of the patch notes it seemed like they were backtracking towards Destiny 1, which makes sense, but also makes the decision to migrate to Destiny 2 seem ever more questionable.

And I guess it's easy to dunk on Polygon, but they do admit to perhaps being a bit over-eager with their review in the text quoted in the OP.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
User banned (2 days): game developers aren't above criticism, but please have some substance to your criticisms, rather than making snide, drive-by comments.
Hell even PlanetDestiny closed up shop.

Luke Smith has no business anywhere near another game.

Oct 25, 2017
The go fast update was really awesome but it wasnt awesome enough to keep me around for longer than one saturday lol.
I want to love D2 but it's just so lacking in stuff that I wanna do or guns that I wanna use.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
"The game launched to rapturous acclaim, from this outlet and from pretty much all the others.

So why does it seem like no one is playing anymore?"

Because these mostly shallow reviews aren't a good indicator for lasting qualities that this sort of game needs? I bet if the majority of reviewers actually took a more in-depth look at the systems and how they would forge the game longterm, rapturous acclaim wouldn't have been there.

I imagine it is difficult to evaluate a game like Destiny at release, when its systems and mechanics are yet to be thoroughly tested by a playerbase.