• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
A new generation of gaming consoles will arrive in 2020, but you wouldn't know that from how Sony is handling its marketing of the PlayStation 5. So far, in terms of new information this year, we've got the unveiling of a new logo ... and that's kinda it.

There are other bits and pieces, of course — we know that the PS5 will be powered by AMD tech, and that it will be backward-compatible with PlayStation 4 games. Most of this information came out in 2019. Beyond that, the latest whispers surrounding Sony's next hardware foray paint a troubling development picture, notably when it comes to keeping the PS5's price point down for consumers. Mostly, though, there's silence.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/6/21168213/xbox-series-x-ps5-next-gen-microsoft-sony-marketing

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so and, if there's potential delays, it may actually have worked in Sony's favour to hold off on announcements.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My circle is just more interested in what PS5 has to offer as time goes on and MS shows off what they have

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Not really, When Sony introduce the PS5, Xbox series X will be old news. Strangely enough.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Lol polygon...

So? The console doesn't launch for a while, unless there's evidence behind the scenes of troubling development of the games/console, this is just pointless article.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Nah.

I do think Xbox has had a good trajectory so far, but I don't think anyone is going to be ignoring PS5 just because they start showing their hand later.

They'll both be ramping up their strategy to generate buzz between now and launch. There's still everything very much to play for, they're both just warming up.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think it helps people hear the message. I'm not sure the message would have been heard if they both launched at the same time. It will have no effect on sales or anything substantive though

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
GamePass is doing more wonders for next gen Xbox than Sony's silence will ever do.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
definitely a boon for the box, at the very least it makes the Xbox series X's terrible name a wash.

Mar 23, 2018
How can you make this argument at this point? It doesn't matter how it's doing right now, it matters where it's at come November after the PS5 has been announced and both are on sale. Then and only then can you say that the radio silence either helped or hurt the Xbox/PS5.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so Microsoft have figured out how to stop the Xbox from being a two market console? Because I really don't see how Sony's next gen silence fixes one of their (Microsoft's) biggest hurdles.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
"Sometimes when I try to understand a person's motives I play a little game. I assume the worst. What's the worst reason they could possibly have for saying what they say and doing what they do?" – Lord Petyr Baelish

The worst reason would be 9.2 TF.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Pretty much. Sony's silence is giving Microsoft the good PR that comes with any new next-gen features. When casual audiences talk about coming attractions in the gaming space right now - Microsoft's kinda got the only product people can point to.

How impactful is that early advantage? Who knows. But I'm certain Microsoft feels pretty good about their position right now.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Meh with everything getting cancelled left and right I guess Sony was right to hold off any conversation

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about you but the fact that Sony is currently focusing solely on PS4, with exclusives releasing all the way until June, may actually be the better marketing for the PS5.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah.

The PS5 logo reveal nonsense got more press than any part of the Xbox reveal combined.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
This writer knows what he's doing. I respect it.
It's effective.
"Sometimes when I try to understand a person's motives I play a little game. I assume the worst. What's the worst reason they could possibly have for saying what they say and doing what they do?" – Lord Petyr Baelish

The worst reason would be 9.2 TF.
I can't tell if this is a clever joke post or if you made that quote to actually mean your point

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Sony still has a couple of their biggest games of the generation coming out this year before PS5 is released to be fair.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Sony just needs to show when ready doesn't really matter this upcoming gen to be honest. MS putting everything on PC has given me zero reason to ever get an xbox. At this point its easier than ever to pretty much play everything that is available on all consoles.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should just cancel the PS5. Microsoft has this next-gen and every other gen afterwards on complete and total lockdown.

Bonus hot take: Sony is keeping quiet on the PS5 because they're secretly skipping straight to the PlayStation 6.

dragonflys545

Oct 27, 2017
New York
62823_cdvvd_2.gif

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Nah it feels more like Xbox desperately trying to wave its arms to keep you from thinking about the PS5

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah that's quite the bubble people here and at polygon are in. Everyone wants news on the PS5 even more.

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, yea. The fact MS is out there saying how good Xbox SeX is has me thinking I might pick up one next gen, despite skipping Xbox this gen.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah. As said in the article, they haven't had to fight for attention unlike last time, and pretty much everything (if not everything) has been positive.

It's just that Sony's silence won't necessarily be a net negative for Sony once they start talking.