• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What does P5R stands for?

• Persona 5 Racing All Night

Votes: 76 26.5%
  • Persona 5 Return of Teddie

Votes: 26 9.1%
  • Persona 5 RSteak

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 119 41.5%
  • Shinjiro was the best Persona character and here's my 250 pages long essay about why.

Votes: 31 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really hope this is announced tomorrow. Would be an excellent way to end the year for me

Oct 25, 2017
Started typing this and realised that it's not really adding anything new, but might as well post anyway:

Facts:
  • Atlus registered a Persona 5 R domain alongside a number of others including Persona Q2 and Persona Dancing, both of which were later revealed as games. The Persona R domain was recently updated in a similar manner to the PQ2 and Dancing domains shortly before their reveals. There's other Atlus domains which have also followed this pattern.
  • Anime and domains for other licenced projects have historically been registered by whoever is handling the project. P5A.JP is registered by Aniplex.
  • The Persona 5 Animation Dark Sun special broadcast airing tomorrow has already been confirmed to feature a trailer for the upcoming concerts following it's broadcast. Previously Persona Q2 was properly revealed through a TVCM during an anime broadcast. Follow-up information has also been confirmed to be posted online afterwards.
Speculation:
  • Whatever P5R is will be revealed as part of this broadcast - fairly easy conclusion to draw, it's an event within the typical window between the sites being updated and going live, a game was previously revealed during an anime broadcast, and news during the broadcast is already confirmed.
  • P5R will not just be the concert website or an anime follow-up - Concerts don't typically get their own websites and wouldn't be Persona 5 specific. As aforementioned, Aniplex and not Atlus would likely handle an anime follow-up website. Plus they'd probably just used the existing one as they did with the Day Breaker's site for P5A. Saying that, an anime follow-up should be revealed after this broadcast. Dark Sun shouldn't be able to cover the final arc and there's an extra blu-ray release announced that's unaccounted for, but again this would be part of the same project, shouldn't need it's own website.
  • P5R will for something that Atlus is directly handling the marketing for, and that is major enough to get it's own website - Ryuscorp have only worked with Atlus directly on Persona related website. Concerts and promotional campaigns have not had their own sites in the past. Non-game standalone sites Atlus use would be portal sites (Persona Channel) and Studio Zero have their own site.
  • P5R will be an enhanced switch port of Persona 5 - idk could be I guess.
tl;dr: P5R is unlikely to be for something that isn't a game, and the anime broadcast is the most likely venue for a reveal.

ItsKipz

Oct 27, 2018
Started typing this and realised that it's not really adding anything new, but might as well post anyway:

Facts:
  • Atlus registered a Persona 5 R domain alongside a number of others including Persona Q2 and Persona Dancing, both of which were later revealed as games. The Persona R domain was recently updated in a similar manner to the PQ2 and Dancing domains shortly before their reveals. There's other Atlus domains which have also followed this pattern.
  • Anime and domains for other licenced projects have historically been registered by whoever is handling the project. P5A.JP is registered by Aniplex.
  • The Persona 5 Animation Dark Sun special broadcast airing tomorrow has already been confirmed to feature a trailer for the upcoming concerts following it's broadcast. Previously Persona Q2 was properly revealed through a TVCM during an anime broadcast. Follow-up information has also been confirmed to be posted online afterwards.
Speculation:
  • Whatever P5R is will be revealed as part of this broadcast - fairly easy conclusion to draw, it's an event within the typical window between the sites being updated and going live, a game was previously revealed during an anime broadcast, and news during the broadcast is already confirmed.
  • P5R will not just be the concert website or an anime follow-up - Concerts don't typically get their own websites and wouldn't be Persona 5 specific. As aforementioned, Aniplex and not Atlus would likely handle an anime follow-up website. Plus they'd probably just used the existing one as they did with the Day Breaker's site for P5A. Saying that, an anime follow-up should be revealed after this broadcast. Dark Sun shouldn't be able to cover the final arc and there's an extra blu-ray release announced that's unaccounted for, but again this would be part of the same project, shouldn't need it's own website.
  • P5R will for something that Atlus is directly handling the marketing for, and that is major enough to get it's own website - Ryuscorp have only worked with Atlus directly on Persona related website. Concerts and promotional campaigns have not had their own sites in the past. Non-game standalone sites Atlus use would be portal sites (Persona Channel) and Studio Zero have their own site.
tl;dr: P5R is unlikely to be for something that isn't a game, and the anime broadcast is the most likely venue for a reveal.
Reading this reminded me that this is more or less exactly how we got PQ2, right?

Oct 25, 2017
We were explicitly told that PQ2 would be revealed during an anime broadcast too. If P5R were to be revealed here it would be a complete stealth drop with no tease at all (or at least it should be). Certainly nobody would have been expecting anything if not for the domain update.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018

Facts:
Speculation:

This reminds me: I can't seem to find any information on a western release of Q2. Is localization happening?

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Okay thanks. That's kind of a bummer. It makes me wonder if P5R is indeed a Switch port how long would we have to wait for a Western release? From what I can find localization time on past games varies.
Localization for Atlus games have been getting longer and longer ever since Atlus started localizing Sega games as well. P3D/P5D were supposed to come out in "early 2019" before they decided to push those games forward.

Catherine: Full Body doesn't have a release date, and PQ2 hasn't had a localization announcement. If this were to be a new Persona game releasing within 4-5 months, the West won't be seeing it for a while.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

lggejo1l1xr01.jpg

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Mystic assumes that Persona 5 Revision is Switch exclusive in this twitter thread.

Man, I've been telling people nonstop ever since this came out that people should NOT be surprised if it turns out to be Switch exclusive. Don't be surprised! If you're a PS4 only Persona fan it sucks, but luckily I own a PS4 and Switch so I won't even get mad when it gets revealed!

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Well dang, between the Switch and PS4 I probably would go with Switch unless there was a significant graphics difference but I think I'd have been annoyed as a PS4 owner to not have my game DLC upgrade-able, let alone not even get the revision at all (I have the PS3 version lol).

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
If it's exclusive to switch then I don't particularly mind because I would have bought it on it anyways but it would be a bit unfair to people who only have a PS4 and supported the original release but oh well

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If this shit is Switch exclusive then hoo boy it ain't gonna be pretty.

Thank goodness I have both a PS4 and Switch.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Uh-oh. No Switch version? Switch exclusive? Something has to be up.

EDIT: I read the rest of the Twitter thread. So.......Switch-exclusive, then?
Yeah that'd be fun and definitely create hubub

I'd definitely consider grabbing it if localization is quick

Say I've been curious, if I'm waiting for a hypothetical switch port any issue with watching the anime first?

Mediking

If this shit is Switch exclusive then hoo boy it ain't gonna be pretty.

Thank goodness I have both a PS4 and Switch.

Most diehard Persona fans should (arguably) already own a PS4 and Switch. We know how Atlus does things. Lol

Now the PS4 only people who bought Persona 5 and really liked it and are hoping for cool DLC... now THEY... they're gonna be mad.

Mediking

Say I've been curious, if I'm waiting for a hypothetical switch port any issue with watching the anime first?

DON'T YOU DARE WATCH THAT ANIME. It's really only a treat for those who've already beat the game. Don't you dare watch that anime. You must not know who Kamoshida is before you play the game for yourself! Lol

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Persona 4 Golden was Vita exclusive, so not sure what the problem will be necessarily. Status quo and all that...
I would buy it on Switch either way but you cannot really use P4 Golden as a good example. By the time Golden came out, the PS2 was dead everywhere. Atlus has never released an enhanced port while the original console was still relevant except for FES. If they release a P5 port that is significantly enhanced then I can see why people who only own a PS4 would be upset.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Persona 5 has been exclusive to PS3/4 for years, if it's exclusive to Switch it likely is to try and motivate Switch owners to buy it, not to spite PS4 fans. Ps4 fans got the perk of getting to play it so long ago that it's old news now. It's a tactic that sadly works, PS2 fans who wanted Golden had to buy a Vita of all things. People shouldn't pretend it's an unprecedented thing here.

Yeah, it's exactly the same, because PS2 was so healthy when Golden was launched.

Vita was never healthy, people who wanted P4G had to buy a system that was on it's death bed from day one. I'd say the proposition of Switch is a little easier to swallow at least.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you could argue that it wasn't fair to PS2 owners what happens to Golden.

This isn't unprecedented.
But Golden came out when the new gen consoles were out.
Persona 5 has been exclusive to PS3/4 for years, if it's exclusive to Switch it likely is to try and motivate Switch owners to buy it, not to spite PS4 fans. Ps4 fans got the perk of getting to play it so long ago that it's old news now. It's a tactic that sadly works, PS2 fans who wanted Golden had to buy a Vita of all things. People shouldn't pretend it's an unprecedented thing here.
I get you now but by the time Golden came out the new consoles were already out. Didn't Golden come out in 2012. Would it have even sold as well as it did if came out on the PS2 in 2012? If a P5R is released exclusively with lots of new content, music, Akechi redemptio arc, social links etc it would be a bit unfair for PS4 only gamers because it would mean they have to miss out on the definitive edition even though the PS4 is still going strong.

You're right it's a tactic that works but it does sound a little bit unfair when you look at it. Then again I'm not the run with a business so maybe this really is the best route for Atlus? I'm not sure I'm just giving my opinion if it does end up being exclusive. Even if it is I'll happily support it on the switch since I've been waiting for P5 to come to the switch for awhile now

logash

Oct 27, 2017
PVita was never healthy, people who wanted P4G had to buy a system that was on it's death bed from day one. I'd say the proposition of Switch is a little easier to swallow at least.
PS Vita was not even a year old when P4 Golden was released. No one knew how dead the Vita would be by then. It was far too early. Shit the 3DS was "dead" at the same point in it's life cycle before the price cut and good games fixed everything.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Anyways tomorrow should be exciting if all goes well. Can't wait to see the trailer. Would be a really good way to end the year

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
PS Vita was not even a year old when P4 Golden was released. No one knew how dead the Vita would be by then. It was far too early. Shit the 3DS was "dead" at the same point in it's life cycle before the price cut and good games fixed everything.

Vita sold less in its life than Switch did its first year, the writing was on the wall when Sony basically abandoned it after launch. Hell the Vita was the first system I ever sold as an adult (and later re bought when I became a heavier collector). Nintendo fought back early with 3DS and it was the sequel to the DS, it was the obvious victor to anyone with common sense.

Keep in mind, I'm of the opinion these games should always be multi platform, so I have no desire for Persona fans to be slighted, I just understand the business sense of it. It also won't surprise me if this is 'exclusive' and then a bit later gets a PS4/PC port, etc.

I'm actually curious how many people on this forum own a PS4, Persona, and don't intend to own a Switch, I actually would have assumed that was not typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.