Votes: 160 57.3%
  • Sephiroth

Votes: 78 28.0%
  • Cloud

Votes: 30 10.8%
  • Ultima

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
I think 14's isn't nearly on 11's power level yet, long way to go for that. 14's WOL is pretty equal to Lightning if not a bit below.

So far at least...
11 and 14 Protags are way way above Lighting, like Multiversal.

While Lighting Ends up about below Universal along with Bhunivelze.

11 and 14 protags are above Ultemecia and Neo-Exdeath which are the strongest non MMO Characters (Well i guess not counting characters like Omega and Shinryu who travel the FF multiverse)

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Clive, Lightning, and FFXIV Warrior of Light are not losing to anybody except each other

They all get beaten in under 5 seconds by XI's protag..haha.

11 and 14 Protags are way way above Lighting, like Multiversal.

While Lighting Ends up about below Universal along with Bhunivelze.

11 and 14 protags are above Ultemecia and Neo-Exdeath which are the strongest non MMO Characters

14's is a bit weird, because some of it is other characters doing things for you than enable you and others are you are just too filled with determination to lose.

But then you get your ass whooped by the most random of things because the game doesn't really separate out power all that well, which is why I think they aren't quite as powerful as people think they are. Hell, the XIV protag went to the end of the universe and almost lost a fist fight to someone who wasn't THAT powerful, comparison wise.

XIV's protag is very much powered by friendship, for better or worse.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Lighting is up there but in terms of FF Protags from the Non MMO Games (because if they are included lol they stomp) the strongest is still Squall
I don't know, XIII-2 and LR gets pretty insane. In XIII-2 she becomes an agent of the Goddess and is forced to fight in Valhalla against a god killer in an endless loop, 24/7, for centuries. Then in LR she's basically Jesus Christ, and by the end of the game, 1v1's a god who has a Universe buster, Hypernova.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They all get beaten in under 5 seconds by XI's protag..haha.

14's is a bit weird, because some of it is other characters doing things for you than enable you and others are you are just too filled with determination to lose.

But then you get your ass whooped by the most random of things because the game doesn't really separate out power all that well, which is why I think they aren't quite as powerful as people think they are. Hell, the XIV protag went to the end of the universe and almost lost a fist fight against someone who wasn't THAT powerful, comparison wise.

To be fair that fist fight happens literally after they just get done fighting a being that could actually be considered a god even compared to anything else in the story

Though if we count NT scaling (lol) every Protag before Clive is Multiversal.

He was for roughly 20 minutes of his life, he straight up rewrote the rules of the world
Not that strong of a feat cosnidering what some of the FF protags (Cloud, Squall, Lighting have access to).

But then you get your ass whooped by the most random of things because the game doesn't really separate out power all that well, which is why I think they aren't quite as powerful as people think they are. Hell, the XIV protag went to the end of the universe and almost lost a fist fight to someone who wasn't THAT powerful, comparison wise.

MMOs are weird, XI right now is being devoured by a force nothing can stop.

The Void canonically has connection to the MMO games and spans ann the FF games and spinoffs

XIV essentially consists of infinite different timelines existing separately from one another and so does XI.

Shit can get wild

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
To be fair that fist fight happens literally after they just get done fighting a being that could actually be considered a god even compared to anything else in the story

While true, it does highlight my point that the XIV protag is very, very reliant on others (as they would have died otherwise).

This isn't a bad thing at all as it makes for a solid story, obviously.

Look I'm a FFXI stan, but leave the MMO folk out of this, it's just unfair :P

They mentioned XIVs!

MMOs are weird, XI right now is being devoured by a force nothing can stop.

The Void canonically has connection to the MMO games and spans ann the FF games and spinoffs

XIV essentially consists of infinite different timelines existing separately from one another and so does XI.

Shit can get wild

XI's world is always being devoured by a force nothing can stop (Atomos, Cloud of Darkness, etc.)

Its just a Tuesday for them.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
While true, it does highlight my point that the XIV protag is very, very reliant on others (as they would have died otherwise).

This isn't a bad thing at all as it makes for a solid story, obviously.

They mentioned XIVs!
Being reliant on others isnt that big of a flaw when you can just squeeze your orange crack rock and summon a squad LOL But yes they would have died

Makoto Yuki

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Clive is stupid powerful, playing FFXVI was like a crazy power trip in video game form.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Being reliant on others isnt that big of a flaw when you can just squeeze your orange crack rock and summon a squad LOL But yes they would have died

Yea, its definitely not a flaw at all, but it does keep the WOL at a "lower" power level since they rely so much on others and calling in the calvary for help.

Like I said, not a bad thing, its actually a good thing because its likely going to avoid a lot of where XI's story ends up going in terms of running out of plausible things to throw into your path that you cant just dismantle.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It does seem like Sephiroth is cooking up some high tier bullshit in Remake power wise. Like rewriting the timeline shit. So even if you beat him he will pull something out his ass and try again.

Clive has a similar feat I guess, but he needed God to set it up for him and it seemed to be too much for his body in the end.

I don't know, XIII-2 and LR gets pretty insane. In XIII-2 she becomes an agent of the Goddess and is forced to fight in Valhalla against a god killer in an endless loop, 24/7, for centuries. Then in LR she's basically Jesus Christ, and by the end of the game, 1v1's a god who has a Universe buster, Hypernova.

Due to 13 Cosmology Bhunivelze (Lighting at the end and them are the strongest in there universe) and such taking 500 or so years to create the universe there on the lower end of the spectrum of Universal but Ultemicia was pretty much condensing time & space (pretty much merging with those concepts in that universe) within the universe pretty much tearing apart the fabric of the universe as she was gonna create her own till Squall and co beat her.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Honestly I think Sephiroth at the peak of his power is probably more powerful than Clive, considering Sephiroth canonically needed a whole party of people to put him down. And he just came back a few years later anyway.

And both Sephiroth and Clive can transform into giant monsters, so it's not like Clive has the Ifrit transformation as a boon over Seph.
Just want to throw out there that Cloud beat Sephiroth in a 1v1 three times. Nibelheim at 16 years old (literally just tosses the fucker down a reactor Emperor style), end of FFVII, and Advent Children. I think Remake is the first time Sephiroth actually gets a win on him and even then he knows Cloud will get back there.

It's why these types of "who is stronger" questions never fully work. No matter how overpowered the villain is, if we see the hero beat them in the end, we already know who is stronger.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
It does seem like Sephiroth is cooking up some high tier bullshit in Remake power wise. Like rewriting the timeline shit. So even if you beat him he will pull something out his ass and try again.

Clive has a similar feat I guess, but he needed God to set it up for him and it seemed to be too much for his body in the end.

The 2nd spoiler is only a thing because Clive forgot to get an Eikon.

With it none of that would be a problem (theoretically).

Its why so many assume the next DLC is going to give 16 a new ending.

YoItsKaito

Dec 1, 2023
Sephiroth takes the win over Clive. FF16 was definitely flashier in set pieces but when it comes to raw feats/abilities, 16 falls behind.

Kayze

Feb 20, 2024
I think it's time for a new Dissidia so I can prove that Vaan is in fact the strongest Final Fantasy character.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I think it's time for a new Dissidia so I can prove that Vaan is in fact the strongest Final Fantasy character.

Dissidia, unfortunately, can never include some of the most powerful characters in the franchise just because of bandwidth and the fact that some games would need a zillion reps.

Plus, going by Dissidia 1 & 2 - Exdeath is a literal idiot who even at level 99 falls for one move spammed over and over.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The 2nd spoiler is only a thing because Clive forgot to get an Eikon.

With it none of that would be a problem (theoretically).

Its why so many assume the next DLC is going to give 16 a new ending.
Ah good point, though I kinda took that more as he wasn't the true perfect vessel, but just pretty close to it so the final spell was the point it broke vs absorbing the Eikons. Though that's more based on me thinking Ultima waiting thousands (? I forget if they actually say how long) years for "the one™️" was them just having evolution run it's course, which is why they basically just fucked off after awhile instead of it being something they had full control off.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Sephiroth takes the win over Clive. FF16 was definitely flashier in set pieces but when it comes to raw feats/abilities, 16 falls behind.
Are we talking human Sephiroth or are we going full Safer Sephiroth? I feel like Clive takes Human Sephiroth but if we're going full lifestream mutated Safer Sephiroth that's a bigger question.

At the very least, Safer Sephiroth would require a full power Ifrit transformation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to throw out there that Cloud beat Sephiroth in a 1v1 three times. Nibelheim at 16 years old (literally just tosses the fucker down a reactor Emperor style), end of FFVII, and Advent Children. I think Remake is the first time Sephiroth actually gets a win on him and even then he knows Cloud will get back there.

It's why these types of "who is stronger" questions never fully work. No matter how overpowered the villain is, if we see the hero beat them in the end, we already know who is stronger.

The end of FFVII isn't a real fight, it's a metaphorical representation of Cloud overcoming Sephiroth's influence over him. The real fight against Sephiroth is with the full party (Bizarro -> Sepher). The black screen fight is just metaphor.

tjh282

May 29, 2019
If it was a tag team as the title seemed to indicate, I give it to cloud/Seph because Ultima can't count and the Supernova equation would destroy him.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Clive, Lightning, and FFXIV Warrior of Light are not losing to anybody except each other

jack-garland-final-fantasy-origin.jpg

here comes a new challenger

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
It's Clive, especially if we consider just the original FF7. If we include the bullshit that Cloud can do in follow up 7 material then it becomes muddied.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If we're including the Risen version then he's kind of broken. I don't think any other character can instant transmission through space while dodging hundreds of kamehameha blasts. Yes im using DBZ lingo because that's what it looked like. Ifrit also kind of opens his hand to create an explosion that caused this crater.
ff16-crater-1493x840.jpg

TheBigJuice

Banned
Jun 29, 2023
Clive got bodied by Barny with 1 arm behind his back, then when Clive came back for more he got bodied so bad the game gave Barny a victory screen. The only time he was able to beat Barny was when Barny was actually trying to lose.

Clive can't fight his way out of a paper bag.

Seph ez W ggwp

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
The end of FFVII isn't a real fight, it's a metaphorical representation of Cloud overcoming Sephiroth's influence over him. The real fight against Sephiroth is with the full party (Bizarro -> Sepher). The black screen fight is just metaphor.
They are also actually fighting though. Just because the fight has thematic elements doesn't mean the events within didn't happen. And even if you wanted to discount that for some reason, he still beats him in Advent Children.

FF7 cloud is nowhere near the level of Clive's absurdity
Cloud doesn't have feats of strength warranting this statement that's what these convos are based on
LOL yes he does.

Going be even data books and Summon explanations, canonically Safer Sephiroth creates a universe to use Supernova which Cloud and co Survive along with Summons like KOTR summoning and destroying an universe when they are summoned and attack.

Zack during his invasion of Wutai when he defeats Bahamut is stronger then FF16.

Clive and Ultima only hit out at Planet level at the max end of the game, they get washed by any of the FF7 Weapons.

Not to mention Cloud has poison manipulation, barrier creation, Shapeshifting (Toad, Mini, Frog Song, etc), Time Manipulation (Haste, Slow, Stop) Petrification, etc.

Its not a knock on 16 I like the game, but it has no business fighting any of the high tier FF games.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
and he has a title drop, something no other FF main character could even dream of

bro literally kills Warrior of Light in an endless loop

Jack is up there as a high tier

Warrior of light even with infinite (?) time loops to get stronger and literally being GIVEN his ultimate equipment as a handicap never actually becomes powerful enough to take Jack out. He loses every time.

The "A different future" DLC ending (in which jack casually beats down
the emperor from FF2
) also states outright that Jack elevates to "God of Discord" after that fight and becomes some kind of multiversal force on which the rest of the FF worlds will be built. (SOP like dissidia acknowledges the other FF games are taking place elsewhere in the multiverse). Warrior of Light is predicted to *eventually* hit his level and become his counterpart, but we never actually get clarity on WHICH WOL that is- the one Jack kills a billion times in Stranger of Paradise, the FFXIV one, or someone else.

There's uh...no version of Cloud or Clive that touches that guy. He smacks both down while casually walking off to Limp Bizkit victory music. Lightning Returns era Lightning is a "maybe."

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention Cloud has poison manipulation, barrier creation, Shapeshifting (Toad, Mini, Frog Song, etc), Time Manipulation (Haste, Slow, Stop) Petrification, etc.

The Eikon versions of time manipulation, barriers and freezing etc were all accessible without much/any cast time in 16. Rift slip was an instant time stop on everything not named Clive which could be cast every few seconds. They gave him a GGST roman cancel.

If Clive can stop Zettaflare, then he can stop Meteor singlehandedly, and that's the highest power level attack in the FFVII world.

It was more than just stop. Flying through it head on and through the other guy like Goku through King Piccolo.

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Clive easily takes out Cloud and Sephiroth. FFVII is on the lower end of FF power, while Clive at his peak is in the upper half.

If Clive can stop Zettaflare, then he can stop Meteor singlehandedly, and that's the highest power level attack in the FFVII world.

Clive easily takes out Cloud and Sephiroth. FFVII is on the lower end of FF power, while Clive at his peak is in the upper half.
It really isn't lol.

Its mid tier at its strongest.

Meteor isn't the same in either verse.

Warrior of light even with infinite (?) time loops to get stronger and literally being GIVEN his ultimate equipment as a handicap never actually becomes powerful enough to take Jack out. He loses every time.

The "A different future" DLC ending (in which jack casually beats down
the emperor from FF2
) also states outright that Jack elevates to "God of Discord" after that fight and becomes some kind of multiversal force on which the rest of the FF worlds will be built. (SOP like dissidia acknowledges the other FF games are taking place elsewhere in the multiverse). Warrior of Light is predicted to *eventually* hit his level and become his counterpart, but we never actually get clarity on WHICH WOL that is- the one Jack kills a billion times in Stranger of Paradise, the FFXIV one, or someone else.

There's uh...no version of Cloud or Clive that touches that guy. He smacks both down while casually walking off to Limp Bizkit victory music. Lightning Returns era Lightning is a "maybe."
Jack gets crazy strong in the end.

Up there with folks like Exdeath in the multiverse