• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
ERA, it seems our fashy overlords have spoken. There's a lot going on right now, our government, along with corporations, are fucking Chile left and right.

Some days ago, the government decided to increase the public transportation fare, and that was the last straw. Students and workers initiated a fare dodge to protest said increase. But the government didn't like it, so they started closing the subways.

Since we are stubborn, we broke the doors of the subway and used it anyway. This angered the government.

Piñera and his ilk love Pinochet, and it shows. What he did right now is beyond despicable, and the worst thing is, things will get worse.

So, pray for us Chileans. We are against a semi fascist government, and things will only get worse (UNTIL THEY GET BETTER WHEN WE WIN).

Last edited:

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
For those of you who don't know: this is literally the first time a State of Emergency has been declared in Santiago for reasons of protests since the Civic-Military Dictatorship "stepped down" - essentially, thirty years.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Piñera must go

Also for people who don't get the joke, piraña is piranha

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus All of Latin America is in the fucking hole. I guess Uruguay is still doing alright?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I went to Santiago for part of a vacation relatively recently. I know little about the politics but the people were always super nice to interact with. While we were there we did have one tour guide tell us the cost of living was getting out of control though,

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
My wife and I went to Santiago for part of a vacation relatively recently. I know little about the politics but the people were always super nice to interact with. While we were there we did have one tour guide tell us the cost of living was getting out of control though,

our monthly minimum wage is $422 USD.

Imagine living with less than $500 USD a month, while trying to pay rent that goes for around 140 USD.

And then paying for public transport that's a bit over 1 dollar PER TRIP. Twice a day, for your commute. That's almost 3 bucks per day, only for two trips. 15 USD a week, only for commuting.

So it's about 75 USD a month only used for transportation... during *the week*, not including weekends.

And what about groceries? And unpredicted expenses...?

You can see why the situation starts to become untenable.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Didnt something go down in Ecuador as well just in the last few weeks?

Yea this is so sad. I saw a clip of a poor young lady got shot on the leg and was bleeding out. Wtf man. Poor people.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
our monthly minimum wage is $422 USD.

Imagine living with less than $500 USD a month, while trying to pay rent that goes for around 140 USD.

And then paying for public transport that's a bit over 1 dollar PER TRIP. Twice a day, for your commute. That's almost 3 bucks per day, only for two trips. 15 USD a week, only for commuting.

So it's about 75 USD a month only used for transportation... during *the week*, not including weekends.

And what about groceries? And unpredicted expenses...?

You can see why the situation starts to become untenable.
It's even worse. A 1 bedroom 1 bathroom house herw in Osorno is about 200000CLP...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Maybe, but that's not what they're protesting so it's irrelevant to the post I replied to. That's the reaction to the protests

It's not just the fares. That was the tipping point.

Electricity will raise 10%
Retirement is controlled by private corporations that generates millions of dollars in private earning, our elders are retiring with less than 190USD A MONTH
In other regions, toxicity created by corporations have polluted the air so much, schools closed their year to protect children. One of the activist's leader was found "suicided" last year.
The fares have raised 60% in 9 years, average income only 40%
DROUGHT is getting to the country, while PRIVATES (including Govt Agriculture Minister) HAS PRIVATE WATER RIGHTS of millions of ml per seconds, and effectively STILL STEAL water from the people, killing their cattle and their economies in the process.

All this while:
OUR PRESIDENT DIDN'T PAY TAXES FOR ONE OF HIS HOUSES FOR 30 YEARS, FOR AN AMMOUNT OF 422.000USD, after being found guilty, paid the maximum ordered by the law: 27.000USD
Those found guilty of this kind of crimes, of MILLIONS of DOLLARS are SENT TO FUCKING ETHICS CLASS. Dodging the transportation fare ($1.17USD) can get you to JAIL

This is just the tip of the iceberg of the problems of the country.

Cops were already shooting protesters:
This protest have been going for 5 days. Just 5 days. It started as a civil disobedience movement. Cops were sent to suffocate it, it ended like this today.

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
It's even worse. A 1 bedroom 1 bathroom house herw in Osorno is about 200000CLP...
I pay $300.000 for 35m2 in santiago. Same apartment cost $175.000 in 2014 to give you an example. Food is more expensive in chile than it is in canada and canadians minimum wage is 3x that of the chilean minimum wage. Costs are out of control in Chile.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Stay safe everyone in Chile. Fucking sick of shitty politicians thinking they can keep screwing everyone over for their own gain and get away with it.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
keep us updated chile era, because i dont think that will appear much in the international news.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
I didn't know that Chile is so bad now. Wasn't it praised as a role model not too long ago?

OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that Chile is so bad now. Wasn't it praised as a role model not too long ago?
role model in what exactly? Exploitation of its people? Role model in "what happens when you let neo-liberalism free? In giving corporations what they want? In wealth inequality? In increased living costs while they minimum wage stays the same?

Chile is NOT a role model in any way or form.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will try. ERA doesn't seem to care, tho.
Yeah i understand this, one thing i learned since gaf days, is that in the US media (and since most people are from the US whats popular topic there becomes popular here) if the latin president is a right winger (not fascist) he will get a protection and be promoted even, its kinda easy to understand why right wingers in latin america love to kiss US boots and sell everything to them to exploit, just look at argentina with macri 33% of the population in poverty deep economic crisis, the discussion about that is minimum with a macri defense force. But you could be certain if it was a leftist president, there would be news about Chile, Equador and Argentina becoming venezuela. A bunch of business magazines (wall street)in the US defended bolsonaro a fascist, because he was good to US business, it was an opportunity, imagine one that's just a right winger.
Its not interesting for US business to have leftist governments in latin america, the periphery must be exploited.

Oct 27, 2017
Stay safe. Hopefully this passes and Pirana gets the shit he should get and the people get what they want.

I would ask why this thread isn't active much but sadly I know the answer.

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
Seem like the largest political criss in Chile since democratization.
Why there is so little news covered in U.S here?

Jun 20, 2019
I'll try to help signal-boost this news. The reports of the transit protests from yesterday had seemed on the surface similar to other protests around the world like the yellow vests in France. The response by the government with a brutal military crackdown has happened with breathtaking speed and I think it's catching all of us outside LatAm off-guard.

Please be aware that we are with you in spirit. Down with the reactionary dogs!

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Oh and remember: in two months, COP25 is being held here. Trump, Putin, among others, will be here.

Just let that sink in.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck los pacos and los fachos. Stay strong Chile era. I always admired the strong anarchist base in $hile and in general the youth that resist fascism.

Last edited:

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This may not be much, OP, but I have followed you just now in support.

Please stay safe ChileEra.

Dude, things are fucking wild in here. Buildings are on fire, entire Metro stations are too. It's like fucking Gotham City. The cops have been shooting students even. I've never seen anything like this on our current history. Oh, and Joker memes are everywhere lol.

Jesus christ

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These kinds of protests will start happening world over, house prices are going up, wages aren't. Shelter should before accessible to all, before it can be an investment. Build affordable state housing and tax capital more than income

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Just came back home. Crazy night. What I saw during the last 12 hours has been just a proof that police violence never left this country after dictatorship ended. Kids affected by tear gas, people bleeding, cops shooting at protesters.

I believe this is it. This is the turning point for Chile. If we manage to keep pushing, we can make a change for real this time. People are tired of not having enough money to live, while the prices of public transportation, education, health and housing keep raising and the government doesn't do anything.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uff I have some work colleagues over there (about 60) and I dunno if they are good. Stay safe everyone

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Magni

It's both heartbreaking and inspiring to see. Heartbreaking to see people get shot, but inspiring to see people fighting for change.

I studied in Chile during Piñera's previous term, and was surprised by the cost of living then. Seeing how much it's increased since then (while wages haven't followed anywhere near as much), oof.

Very frustrating to ask Chilean friends what's going on and be told
- they want to turn us into Venezuela
- they're anarchists who want to kill the president (because one tag paints the whole movement 🤷‍♂️)
- those were either rubber bullets, or some losers thought it'd be a good opportunity to shoot random people and get away with it (random cops, sure)

Not all my Chilean friends are like that, but even when I was living there it was eye opening how many didn't realize how bad Pinochet was. These are all relatively well off people by Chilean standards, and so many of them are blind to the hardships around them :(

new picture of what's going on
OP
OP

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
74483144_10217442106742162_137955333095030784_o.jpg

This picture was taken in Plaza Ñuñoa, Santiago 18th of October, 2019.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
This is so awful. The courage of all the protesters is incredibly inspiring and if there's somewhere I can donate some money I will. It feels like the least I could do.