• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cid85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From "horse armor" to paid DLC on disc, publishers have a history of "less moral" practices that are not very well accepted by gamers and these practices continue to evolve. Nowadays we have both cosmetic and non-cosmetic microtransactions and loot boxes in AAA 60$ games, something that nobody ever thought would be possible 10 years ago.
Most recently Activision patented a system to use matchmaking to promote sales of loot boxes and the latest COD has a daily mission where players watch other players opening loot boxes.
What will the next grey-area, less moral move publishers will attempt to get money out of our wallets?

Maybe something like having a super grindy trophy made easy with a 5$ MT?
(example: The making a weapon upgrade with pure bladestone in Demon's Souls, since they couldn't sell the trophy directly, they could sell 1 Pure Bladestone for 5$ and the player upgrades the weapon and unlocks the trophy)

What do you think they will do next?

Brought to you by ManatuBear

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Pay $10 to win the next round of game no matter what. If several paid for the win they then have to outbid each other.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Individual pricing and referrals. Why should a lootbox cost the same for every player? A player that is heavily invested in their account progress and unlock probably values the marketplace more. He or she should be able to reflect that monetarily. The same player should also be rewarded for bringing his friends into the fun of monetizing; not with money, of course, but with exclusive jpgs that can be shown off in social spaces.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly feel it will be an experience boost

Pay $4.99 for 5 hours of double XP type stuff
Pay &4.99 for 5 hours of chance for higher tier drops in loot boxes etc

While many wouldn't do it I personally know people who would spend $10-20 a week on xp / drop boosts

data

Oct 25, 2017
Well shit.
Then paying for different settings. You want 4k res, gotta pay for it.
We also only start you off with 640*480 and each resolution has an individual cost

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch streamers and followers of said streamer get exclusive perks/items.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
Automatic streaming. Everyone who has internet automatically streams and famous people's game play is highlighted for viewing to sell people on buying the game.

moquedami

Oct 29, 2017
Put a small portion of the game in the smallest cartridge of the Switch and sell it at full price, make you purchase another media and download the rest.
Oh wait!
They are already doing that with 5 years old ports!

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh, it's hard to guess. I mean, 15 years ago, I never thought publishers would be breaking up games to piecemeal to us over time (at a price), while still charging full price for the partial game that's released. So it's kinda hard to imagine how much worse things will end up getting.

RivalCore

Oct 28, 2017
Generated content and micro-transactions based on individual player data. Companies will be targeting you individually in the future.

And not in just games.

Neapolitan

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
We need to go next level on content locking. Here goes:
Exclusive story content for streamers, where access of said stream needs to be paid.

edgefusion

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly feel it will be an experience boost

Pay $4.99 for 5 hours of double XP type stuff
Pay &4.99 for 5 hours of chance for higher tier drops in loot boxes etc

While many wouldn't do it I personally know people who would spend $10-20 a week on xp / drop boosts

Assassin's Creed Unity already did this :(

Twitch streamers and followers of said streamer get exclusive perks/items.

Twitch already does this :(

Generated content and micro-transactions based on individual player data. Companies will be targeting you individually in the future.

And not in just games.

iOS games already tried to do this :(

Games end with cliffhanger, buy DLC to get the ending

Asura's Wrath already did this :(

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Paid graphical upgrades is just batshit insane enough for companies to actually consider. We're giving them valuable ammo here...

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monthly subscription on top $60 on top of lootbox on top of pay to skip progression on top of pay to win.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Paid esports spectating and built in esports betting.

First post nails it. It's the most logical and least intrusive from a business standpoint. People like watching them, and they need to recoup the prize money somehow.

Betting would be something like in-game currency (not real dollars), but selling digital tickets is very very much within the realm of possibility.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Dedicated button for Instant Transactions (tm).

No more going back to the store. You could tie any gameplay mechanic you want to them. Dialog option - 1.99$. Reroll loot - 3.99$.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
VIP system in multiplayer games, 60 dollar base game is the base game with no bonuses, VIP 1 is the cheapest one (15$) with small bonus of exp and in game currency which is used for loot boxes and unlocks up to the highest VIP 10 which costs 100$ and consists massive boosts of exp, currency and "supreme" loot boxes with higher chance to get OP weapons and cool skins.

*VIP has to be renewed each month.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think Map packs and season passes are worse than lootboxes. Lootboxes are generally cosmetic. The battlefield franchise is segmented so much because of the season pass, you can play for about 4 months then once the first maps are released servers go quiet.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait until Complete Gacha becomes a thing in the main games, Complete Gacha is a system where you need 5 different parts to unlock this hero/car/weapon, The first few parts are pretty common. giving you hope you can complete it, but the last few are ultra rare to get from our slow grind, just so you can spend money to finish and build your "Prize".

It's banned in Japan, but it's not banned elsewhere in the world. I saw it in Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare already with it's heroes. Thankfully that game is generous enough with it's parts and ability to gain money quickly, but I doubt other publishers that see little to no returns in Japan won't be stopped fully exploiting it if it's perfectly fine in the US.

Moti

Oct 25, 2017
Paid esports spectating and built in esports betting.
Built in betting is already a thing? Counter Strike? Also in regards to betting last year I could bet on League of Legends world championship results via my real life betting site that I use for football every weekend.

Edit; The Counter Strike betting is Skins I think, don't know I don't play it,

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
special levels or areas, that can be reached by normal play but have timers, pay to bypass the timers
better graphics behind paywalls
pay for "cosmetic" stuff, but said cosmetic stuff unlock levels unaccessible to normal players
pay to invert y-axis

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I'm also going for a monthly lootbox subscription, with different packages guaranteeing "rare" items etc.
Call of Duty WWII 2: Past Warfare Black Ops 5 - 60$
D-Day Edition - Play two weeks earlier and get exclusive Beta access - 80$
Lootbox Edition - Same as D-Day plus an ugly figurine and the standard Lootbox Pass - 150$
Lootbox Pass - Get 2 FREE lootboxes per day - 40$
Lootbox Pass Premium - Get 2 FREE lootboxes per day plus one GOLD BOX with one rare item guaranteed - 50$