• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
lol declares victory and leaves despite not answering any ones questions in the thread and you call someone else dishonest? The lack of self awareness is amazing.
I haven't gone anywhere chief, I'm just not engaging with people incapable of being intellectually honest or acting with any conversational etiquette.

If someone wants to discuss the things Ive actually wrote, in context, I'm down.

If you want to lazily reduce the conversation into LOL look at this Obama apologist while completely avoiding all the things I have actually said to make reductionist dismissive comments, that shit can fuck off.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
The detached language in that post is very striking. I'm with you on the second part, though, excluding the "widespread" caveat.
I try to use precise language when I'm speaking of terms of art, especially terms with accepted definitions. That's just the lawyer in me. The reason I used "kinetic force" isn't to downplay the gravity of delivering it. I'm trying to say that the analysis is the same no matter how it's done.

Basically, I'm trying to say that drones shouldn't receive lesser scrutiny because there aren't American troops involved. In that vein, Obama's idea of "drones are the illusion of warfare" is both correct and dangerous. It shouldn't be that way.

Rather, the analysis -- both legal and moral -- should at least be the same, whether it's a division of tanks or a Hellfire missile. Honestly, the moral analysis should receive greater scrutiny, considering there isn't any risk to the American.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A very fair point. And it's pretty clear that Obama and the Pentagon simply isn't thinking of it when weighing up their Utilitarian thinking. They're just thinking "oh there's a terrorist, send up one of the drones and take him out".

And just for the record, my post was a bit of a devil's advocate scenario to flush out what other people think. I don't actually support the drone program.
I am really worried about what we're doing in Africa, no one ever talks about it, I don't know, we're gonna start droning Kenya now?
If nothing else, I would at least like a president to come out and tell the American people what the grand plan there.

It feels to me like we're stumbling into conflicts we don't understand with no plan, and some of them are French colonial messes ffs, I'm getting nam flashbacks.
My friend used to joke that the only lesson America learned from the Vietnam war is "don't invade Vietnam" and I'm starting to think they were right.

Mar 10, 2018
I don't think there is any blame to be shared by the "American people" with regards to Obama's decision to use drone strikes. That was Obama's decision and Obama's decision alone. He could have refused. Trump's presidency has revealed that the president has much more personal agency than what was previously assumed.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't gone anywhere chief, I'm just not engaging with people incapable of being intellectually honest or acting with any conversational etiquette.

If someone wants to discuss the things Ive actually wrote, I'm down.

If a person wants to lazily reduce the conversation into LOL look at this Obama apologist while completely avoiding all the things I have actually said to make reductionist dismissive comments, that shit can fuck off.
You still haven't anwered how its voters fault. Its been going on for 3 pages now. I've asked 5 seperate times myself. How can you blame voters for the drone program when they did not know about it? You haven't answered so i have to assume you don't have an answer but just refuse to say ' i don't have an answer to that' and drop the subject. You keep repeating the same thing in every post but never actually answer the question. It would be nice if you would actually answer but you haven't answered it in three pages when 10 different posters have asked you.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If someone wants to discuss the things Ive actually wrote, in context, I'm down.

If you want to lazily reduce the conversation into LOL look at this Obama apologist while completely avoiding all the things I have actually said to make reductionist dismissive comments, that shit can fuck off.
Quite frankly I'm angry and insulted that you are painting yourself as the victim here when you have directly and viciously insulted me mutliple times over mutliple posts while still not answering my question. No, you don't get to claim youself the victim You don't get to claim others are lazily reducing the conversation. it's available. No one is buying your shit because you are a very rude individual who refuses to admit they are wrong and then goes to insults when trying to talk over someone doesn't work. The one being "intellectually dishonest" is you. And I won't stand you trying to pretend you are superior because of your lazy, and quite frankly racist given your "foreigner" remarks towards me.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Again, not once have I said that Obama specifically needed to drone strike to win re-election, I have said, which you have finally corrected and seemingly have finally absorbed, that no nominee in 08 or 12 could win on a platform de-committing to The War on Terror in a way that would see us abandon unilateral international pursuits.

Now how am I to definitively prove this to you exactly? Run an alternate universe experiment? And how is the burden on me anyways? You are the one claiming Obama could have run on a different platform, walked away from The War On Terror, and suffered no political consequence. You are the one changing variables buddy. Obama won two victories with that strong on Terror approach as part of his platform(Bush and Trump won while using it as well). You are the one claiming he could shed it without consequence. And I've already pointed you to the OSU study that shows through decades of aggregated polling, there is a pretty realistic argument for why there would be consequences.

Polls which I think shows pretty convincingly the fear, concern, and desire of a majority to vast majority of Americans in wanting to pursue and disrupt terrorism domestically and internationally. Seeing it as a major threat to our country and concern for future attacks. I guess I could go find some pretty common insider baseball commentary about how neither party felt they could win by putting forward nominees that didn't commit to fighting terrorism? But are you actually unaware of how pervasive and pronounced that sentiment was within the parties? Which is the second component to my point about path dependency. Even if you think the public might have supported it, the parties thought otherwise and gatekept the nominee in 08.
Good post, don't bother with these people asking you to prove a hypothetical. Obama ran being tough on terrorism and hunting down Americas enemies. He killed Bin Laden and no one questioned his commitment to keeping American' safe.

If anything, the burden of proof is on THEM to prove that Obama could have won with a different strategy. Like why would you have to prove what they are trying to argue is false. This is some fox news bullshit of "prove to me Clinton doesn't drink the blood of children."

If they think Obama could have won without continuing the war on terror, then they can prove it based on polling exit data and whatever studies there are.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't think there is any blame to be shared by the "American people" with regards to Obama's decision to use drone strikes. That was Obama's decision and Obama's decision alone. He could have refused. Trump's presidency has revealed that the president has much more personal agency than what was previously assumed.

Like, are Biden voters going to be blamed for his own foreign policy? Including people on this forum who voted for Biden?

That perspective completely obfuscates the power dynamic in these decisions... spoiler, the people with actual power matter!

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
whats worth noting here is that while high profile, named targets are among those targeted by drone strikes, they are overwhelmingly the minority. In fact in Pakistan, among all the reported "militant" death which number anywhere from 2000-3500, about 80 were high profile targets/named leadership. The rest were low level "militants". Of which if you take the American govt at its word, they had ties to terrorist organizations in whatever capacity that led to their extrajudicial killing. Or in some cases, every 18+ male in a strike zone could be declared a combatant and thus be marked down as a militant. There's something deeply wrong with that

And that's just what the government admits to. As much as Obama says he tried to clean up the process, when you actually read up on how the government determines who to kill it's actually fucking frightening. And I think it's harmful to take the government at its word on its efficacy on combating terrorism when it can't even be transparent or honest in its process or reporting.

Yep that's another great point. The US government I think is boxed in to "war on terror" thinking, which is whenever they spot someone they think is a terrorist, anywhere, that person has to die.

One point they might retort is saying "well people in the Middle East will be pissed off if we drop drone bombs on them, but they'll also be pissed off if we start a conventional war to find terrorists". Some people in the Pentagon must simply view it as the lessor of two evils, because drones are basically a way to continue the war on terror without conventional armies or special forces putting their lives at risk. They obviously aren't thinking about the reputational damage that drone strikes cause, both amongst the victims of drone strikes, and also amongst the citizens of countries where they happen. I think Imran Khan (the Prime Minister of Pakistan) has certainly benefited politically from them.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
No, I haven't. What point are you trying to make?

The reason I even posted in this thread is because I thought I could share a perspective regarding international humanitarian law and human rights law, since I have some subject matter expertise there.
well if you are curious what orwell has to say about terms like "kinetic force" or the function of international law i'd encourage you to look up the essay. i think you might get a lot out of a classc critique on the power language holds in representing how we talk about violence and right and wrong in the international sphere.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because that's an easy answer. The number of acceptable civilian casualties is zero. Anything greater than zero is a tragedy. Sometimes it's unavoidable -- you can construct hypotheticals where most people would say it's an acceptable strike -- but it's never welcome, nor should it be celebrated.
I'm sorry, what? The history of the War on Terror would indicate the number of acceptable civilian casualties is much higher than "zero" given that the US public has accepted a non-zero amount of them. Calling them tragedies after the fact does not absolve us (US citizens, soldiers and politicians) of their murder any more than "thoughts and prayers" absolves policy makers of the responsibility to reduce the number school shootings. The War on Terror is still going. The fact that it is going proves it is accepted. Saying "I don't accept stabbing you" while stabbing me does not mean you're not stabbing me, I should hope.

I refuse to believe that casualties were "unavoidable', maybe the word means something else in law but I generally consider things materialistically. The freezing of water at 0° Celsius is "unavoidable". The Earth orbiting around the Sun is "unavoidable". Biological death is "unavoidable". Engaging in any kind of warfare at all is a conscious choice and therefore "avoidable" in the sense that we pretend to have free will and exercise agency in making decisions.

Maybe we're using different definitions, I'm going with these.

Definition of accepted

:regarded favorably
:given approval or acceptance
:generally approved or used

Definition of unavoidable

:not avoidable :inevitable

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good post, don't bother with these people asking you to prove a hypothetical. Obama ran being tough on terrorism and hunting down Americas enemies. He killed Bin Laden and no one questioned his commitment to keeping American' safe.

If anything, the burden of proof is on THEM to prove that Obama could have won with a different strategy. Like why would you have to prove what they are trying to argue is false. This is some fox news bullshit of "prove to me Clinton doesn't drink the blood of children."

If they think Obama could have won without continuing the war on terror, then they can prove it based on polling exit data and whatever studies there are.

EXCEPT HE DIDN"T RUN ON THAT STRATEGY! Stop this goddamn asshole manuever where now you are justified, even noble with the repeatedc insults towards my intellegence, and my age beacuse you couldn't aswer a fucking question!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe this thread is on the verge of giving me a panic attack and some of you are high fiving each otehr with joy! NOW I'm a fucking right-winger fox news person!?! FOR WHAT!?!

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

Obama ran on ending the war and shutting down gitmo and he did neither. He most certainly did not run on being tough on terrorism when McCain was out there saying we would be in Iraq and Afghanistan for 100 years.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I learned I am a dumb, idiotic, intellectually dishonest dirty foreigner who is the equivalent of a foxnews listener and deserves criticisms and scorn and sneers and to have bullies high five each other with support in making sure I suffer a panic attack because of the crime of asking for proof for something someone said. Fucking hell! Libs always to this where now i'm such a monster now that they can not only ignore me, but rejocie insulting me and high fiving each other for doing so! ALL FOR ASKING FOR PROOF!

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So you admit that the public generally hates military casualties and civilian deaths. You admit that the public is constantly lied to because it might affect operations. And we're not talking one lie here or 1 lie there, but outright suppression of any and all information that might affect public opinion about a war here or a killing there.

And yet you still wanna sit here and argue with those of us calling out the administration's lies and shoddy justifications, as you try to force some of that blame on a bunch of nameless and random Americans who absolutely would have punished the Democrats if they didn't collect more blood for the blood god.
And you justify all of this based on a fucking random snapshot poll as if we're all supposed to be impressed by the strength of such an argument?

You're greatly overblowing how much imperialist wars means to the average American voter
You're greatly overblowing what the average American knows at 1 time or the other how much foreign war is being done, as if they have that shit measured out in their heads when going to the polls. (again, if Obama doesn't do that drone strike 3 days after inauguration, how many votes does he lose there)
You're greatly overblowing how much they knew they were being lied to and for what reason.

But your most grievous issue here is still centering your entire whatever around goddamn elections. As if Obama would have lost votes if he drone striked way less than he did. That's the assumption that a lot are disagreeing with. Americans would not have punished Obama for murdering less. In fact, I think that if more details and costs of the drone strikes would have come out over the years instead of being hidden Americans would have been less supportive.

Again though, we know quite a lot now and Americans have not drastically turned against drone strikes, or actively punished those politicians that employ them. There is little reason to believe it would have done so in 2012.

And for the umptenth time, my contention is not that Obama could have run against drone strIke's or not, its a red herring. Drone strikes are simply the tool used to carry out the war on terror and if not drone strikes its simply something else. And to truly change the harm the war on terror has continued to cost us and others around the world, it would have required a total de-escalation of the strategy and that is what I would argue not to have been politically possible either due to political gatekeeping or the American populace's fears and desires.

And something doesnt need to be THE central issue to be something the party locks out, or could have perceived or real consequences for alligning yourself on the wrong side of It.

There are land mine issues in literally every election. I mean try being a gun control Republican even though that issue is rarely a top listed item of importance, but being against gun control as a Republican has no real consequence, but being for it can be the difference in winning and losing a close election. Same could go for Democrats and abortion. You arent gonna win over many Republicans or moderates in a presidential race, but you are going to lose some who will stay home. Hell it was the same rationale Biden pumpers were using all year for half the positions he took: can't afford to lose those moderates. For why the party coalesced against Bernie.

Not sure why this is difficult to wrap around when those same dynamics existed decades ago as well. Being against The War on Terror(or really what broad policies/signals constituted it) was not politically feasible, but that doesn't mean its perpetuators are now victims.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
well if you are curious what orwell has to say about terms like "kinetic force" or the function of international law i'd encourage you to look up the essay. i think you might get a lot out of a classc critique on the power language holds in representing how we talk about violence and right and wrong in the international sphere.

Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed reading Orwell a long time ago, and I think I can see where you're going with your implied critique. My conundrum is this: I either need to be precise, or not, with terms. Do I just add caveats and footnotes, so to speak? Legitimately asking. Believe me, if your implication is that "kinetic force" washes away connotations of "homicide" or "targeted killing," I completely agree with you.

In fact, on that note, I readily concede that "targeted killing" is the term I should've used. It just didn't come to mind before now.

I'm sorry, what? The history of the War on Terror would indicate the number of acceptable civilian casualties is much higher than "zero" given that the US public has accepted a non-zero amount of them. Calling them tragedies after the fact does not absolve us (US citizens, soldiers and politicians) of their murder any more than "thoughts and prayers" absolves policy makers of the responsibility to reduce the number school shootings. The War on Terror is still going. The fact that it is going proves it is accepted. Saying "I don't accept stabbing you" while stabbing me does not mean you're not stabbing me, I should hope.

I refuse to believe that casualties were "unavoidable', maybe the word means something else in law but I generally consider things materialistically. The freezing of water at 0° Celsius is "unavoidable". The Earth orbiting around the Sun is "unavoidable". Biological death is "unavoidable". Engaging in any kind of warfare at all is a conscious choice and therefore "avoidable" in the sense that we pretend to have free will and exercise agency in making decisions.

Maybe we're using different definitions, I'm going with these.

Definition of accepted

:regarded favorably
:given approval or acceptance
:generally approved or used

Definition of unavoidable

:not avoidable :inevitable

I don't really know what your point is here, but I legitimately want to understand; we've interacted enough to know that each other posts in good faith. In any case, I don't know what the US public has accepted. I'm talking about what I personally accept. In that, I believe that every military operation should strive, to the maximum extent possible, for zero damage to civilian objects and zero civilian casualties.

What I mean about unavoidable civilian casualties gets into the realm of hypotheticals? You can construct a hypothetical, such as dropping a bomb that kills 1,000,000 soldiers about to overrun your hometown and murder you and everyone you knew; but somehow also kills an innocent civilian, whether one of your own countrymen or like, the cook making meals for enemy soldiers.

Yes, this isn't a great example. No, it wouldn't happen in real life. But something closer to that is what I mean by a situation where decision-makers would say, "Regrettably, the civilian casualties were unavoidable."

In any case, let me reiterate and put things back into context: the fact that drones can loiter and rely on intelligence, and because they can deliver kinetic force (sorry, but it's important here) in a narrow area, in that we're not talking about a giant bomb... that means that everyone involved should be less accepting of collateral damage.

We aren't dealing with largely inaccurate weapons in the fog of war, like cannons shooting at enemy escarpments that somehow hit a random farmer. Rather, we're dealing with some of the most precise weapons in history.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again though, we know quite a lot now and Americans have not drastically turned against drone strikes, or actively punished those politicians that employ them. There is little reason to believe it would have done so in 2012.

And for the umptenth time, my contention is not that Obama could have run against drone strIke's or not, its a red herring. Drone strikes are simply the tool used to carry out the war on terror and if not drone strikes its simply something else. And to truly change the harm the war on terror has continued to cost us and others around the world, it would have required a total de-escalation of the strategy and that is what I would argue not to have been politically possible either due to political gatekeeping or the American populace's fears and desires.

And something doesnt need to be THE central issue to be something the party locks out, or could have perceived or real consequences for allign it yourself on the wrong side of.

There are land mine issues in literally every election. I mean try being a gun control Republican even though that issue is rarely a top listed item of importance, but being against gun control as a Republican has no real consequence, but being for it can be the difference in winning and losing a close election. Same could go for Democrats and abortion. You arent gonna win over many Republicans or moderates in a presidential race, but you are going to lose some who will stay home. Hell it was the same rationale Biden pumpers were using all year for half the positions he took: can't afford to lose those moderates. For why the party coalesced against Bernie.

Not sure why this is difficult to wrap around when those same dynamics existed decades ago as well. Bwing against The War on Terror was not politically feasible, but that doesn't mean its perpetuators are now victims.

Except they did not HAVE to be against the War on Terror. The War on Terror is a nebulous concept that could have meant anything. I never said he had to be AGAINST the War on Terror but you have insisted that without him being supportive he would have lost! Me asking for proof is not disintellectual honest nor does it make it right, justice, and noble to insutl me until I can't breathe!

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Thanks for the recommendation. I enjoyed reading Orwell a long time ago, and I think I can see where you're going with your implied critique. My conundrum is this: I either need to be precise, or not, with terms. Do I just add caveats and footnotes, so to speak? Legitimately asking. Believe me, if your implication is that "kinetic force" washes away connotations of "homicide" or "targeted killing," I completely agree with you.

In fact, on that note, I readily concede that "targeted killing" is the term I should've used. It just didn't come to mind before now.
I think all three of those are imprecise in so far as they erase the explosion that it the mechanistic part of the "targeted homicide", but i'm in the social sciences and not law so i can see you and i don't share the same concerns what end precision serves and i will leave you to it.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I think all three of those are imprecise in so far as they erase the explosion that it the mechanistic part of the "targeted homicide", but i'm in the social sciences and not law so i can see you and i don't share the same concerns what end precision serves and i will leave you to it.
Can you send me the link to the Orwell piece, or tell me what I should Google?

Just because we're in different fields doesn't mean we can't empathize or understand what the other thinks is important regarding precision. If I have an obvious communication deficiency, then I want to address it. Otherwise, I can't make any points.

Mar 10, 2018
Xaszatm For what it's worth I think you are in the right in this argument and Nola is being intellectually dishonest. However, I think you should step back from this thread for awhile and take some time to breathe. It isn't worth it being strung along by some random people in an internet forum.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
Nah they elected a corporate democrat so actually it kind of is on them too. But of course they get away with electing even the worst, most morally depraved criminal leaders possible i.e. Trump because America is basically untouchable. If they weren't, they'd be overthrown for that.

I know in America the gap between the two parties seems huge, but to the rest of the world they're basically the same in their foreign policy.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Obama didn't even publicly mention drone strikes until early 2012, and that was only because he was forced to defend them
www.theguardian.com

Drones may predate Obama, but his resolute use of them is unmatched

Civilians have been killed and officials warn it will ‘weaken the rule of law’, yet the president’s actions indicate drone warfare won’t be going away anytime soon
Concrete details on all aspects of these secretive campaigns, waged by the CIA and Joint Special Operaitons Command (JSOC), are elusive – Obama himself did not even mention drone strikes publicly until 2012. But independent monitoring groups such as the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and the New America Foundation estimate that the US has conducted almost 400 such strikes since Obama entered the White House.

This is not an arm's-length project for the president. Senior officials have described on condition of anonymity how Obama, who holds the 2009 Nobel peace prize, personally signs off on the "kill list" and is often briefed on individual strikes.
The strikes have also been dogged by claims of civilian casualties. The administration has sought to play these down: John Brennan, at the time Obama's counter-terrorism adviser and now the head of the CIA, portrayed drones as an "exceptionally precise and surgical" weapon causing next to no collateral damage.

The New America Foundation estimates that at least 342 civilians have died, while the Bureau of Investigative Journalism puts the figure at 488 or more. Well-documented disasters such as the 2013 bombing of a wedding convoy in Yemen have led Human Rights Watch and others to call for the US to launch official investigations into particular strikes. No such investigations have been published.

Maybe some people are fine with being lied to constantly by those in power, but we shouldn't be. This is not an American voter problem as much as it is a power problem. They can't be allowed to willingly lie and then use those lies to continue murdering secretly.

And all this secret murdering and proving we can war like the Repubs still had the Democrats losing big during Obama's admin. So we know from experienced reality that the shit don't work. What would work is not trying to be Repub lite with continually misleading the public, hiding evidence, and saying "fuck you" to Congress every time they try to limit your murdering powers.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
EXCEPT HE DIDN"T RUN ON THAT STRATEGY! Stop this goddamn asshole manuever where now you are justified, even noble with the repeatedc insults towards my intellegence, and my age beacuse you couldn't aswer a fucking question!
He ran against 4 years of fox news and conservatives saying he was weak on terrorism, he wouldn't say Islamic terror, he would cozy up with our enemy Iran, and blah blah blah. All the typical bullshit. When asked if he was weak on terror, he said "Ask Bin Laden if I am weak on terror" (paraphrasing here). Proving he was tough on terrorism was absolutely a huge part of his campaign, and something he had to prove to win.

For Obama to win, and to do his job he needed to keep Americans safe and continue the war on terror. Did he need to use drones? Did he run the war the right way? I'm of the opinion maybe and no. But to think any president 7 years after 9-11 would win an election without making sure Americans felt he was doing everything to keep them safe, is to live in fantasy land as far as I am concerned. I'm from right outside NY, and we could see 9-11 happen from our rooftops and beaches. Any president who ran without being tough on terrorism then would have lost around here for sure. No doubt about it. And if you think you can lose liberal NY, and somehow win out in the rest of the country good luck.

If you think there is good reason to believe he ran his campaign wrong, then go ahead and prove it. Half the country cheered at Trump saying he'd bomb the shit out of our enemies, and you think Obama saying want to bomb our enemies less is a winning strategy?

If you want to prove there is an alternative to the way Obama ran which is believed by experts to have been valid, or there is data to back up what you are proposing, the burden of proof is on you to prove it. As far as I can see, it's just pages of you expecting proof from him which may not even exist.

Except they did not HAVE to be against the War on Terror. The War on Terror is a nebulous concept that could have meant anything. I never said he had to be AGAINST the War on Terror but you have insisted that without him being supportive he would have lost! Me asking for proof is not disintellectual honest nor does it make it right, justice, and noble to insutl me until I can't breathe!
If you aren't for it, you are against it.
If you aren't against it, you are for it.

Mar 10, 2018
Nah they elected a corporate democrat so actually it kind of is on them too. But of course they get away with electing even the worst, most morally depraved criminal leaders possible i.e. Trump because America is basically untouchable. If they weren't, they'd be overthrown for that.

I know in America the gap between the two parties seems huge, but to the rest of the world they're basically the same in their foreign policy.
The difference between Obama and Trump is that Trump openly campaigned on being a racist, hateful bigot. Obama didn't make explicit - or even implicit - during his campaign that he was going to use drone strikes on civilians. You can't blame voters for not knowing he was gonna do that.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Today I learned I am a dumb, idiotic, intellectually dishonest dirty foreigner who is the equivalent of a foxnews listener and deserves criticisms and scorn and sneers and to have bullies high five each other with support in making sure I suffer a panic attack because of the crime of asking for proof for something someone said. Fucking hell! Libs always to this where now i'm such a monster now that they can not only ignore me, but rejocie insulting me and high fiving each other for doing so! ALL FOR ASKING FOR PROOF!
The first time you got insulted by Nola, I would have just reported, ignored, and moved on. It's not right how they treated you, and you don't deserve a panic attack. When someone else high fives them, report. From the word go, I knew they wouldn't answer any questions and would just do damage control, so there was no point in wasting energy and emotional investment in the arguments. That's how they win, is by tiring you. Online arguments are not worth risking mental health over. I only realised this after Ian Danskin pointed out how trolls work and how best to combat them (context for these videos is the alt right but it applies to all kinds of bad faith folks).

Nov 6, 2017

this is an insulting post with no understanding Of how our election system works.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He ran against 4 years of fox news and conservatives saying he was weak on terrorism, he wouldn't say Islamic terror, he would cozy up with our enemy Iran, and blah blah blah. All the typical bullshit. When asked if he was weak on terror, he said "Ask Bin Laden if I am weak on terror" (paraphrasing here). Proving he was tough on terrorism was absolutely a huge part of his campaign, and something he had to prove to win.

For Obama to win, and to do his job he needed to keep Americans safe and continue the war on terror. Did he need to use drones? Did he run the war the right way? I'm of the opinion maybe and no. But to think any president 7 years after 9-11 would win an election without making sure Americans felt he was doing everything to keep them safe, is to live in fantasy land as far as I am concerned. I'm from right outside NY, and we could see 9-11 happen from our rooftops and beaches. Any president who ran without being tough on terrorism then would have lost around here for sure. No doubt about it. And if you think you can lose liberal NY, and somehow win out in the rest of the country good luck.

If you think there is good reason to believe he ran his campaign wrong, then go ahead and prove it. Half the country cheered at Trump saying he'd bomb the shit out of our enemies, and you think Obama saying want to bomb our enemies less is a winning strategy?

If you want to prove there is an alternative to the way Obama ran which is believed by experts to have been valid, or there is data to back up what you are proposing, the burden of proof is on you to prove it. As far as I can see, it's just pages of you expecting proof from him which may not even exist.

Proof of what? I didn't say Obama needed to run on an anti-War on Terror campaign. He DID run on an "end the war campaign". What burden of proof is on me? I never said he had to run an anti-War on Terror campaign. Nola was saying wihtout him directly being pro-war and without him droning all those civillians, he'd have lost his reelection bid. That's what I'm asking proof for. He could have ran pro-war on terror and NOT have droned civilians. The populace wasn't aware of the drones until long later. Why is him droning so important?

Also, did you ignore the mutliple insults and attacks towards me or is that just right of him to do so?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's interesting that "leaving Afghanistan would make it hard for him to get reelected" is a viable argument. We don't elect people so they can get elected again, but to serve the needs of the people of this country. Being in Afghanistan did not do that. If the only way you can justify it is to say it wasn't politically expedient then Obama was not the right person to lead.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
The difference between Obama and Trump is that Trump openly campaigned on being a racist, hateful bigot. Obama didn't make explicit - or even implicit - during his campaign that he was going to use drone strikes on civilians. You can't blame voters for not knowing he was gonna do that.
Well Trump said he'd pull out of all the wars but instead he conducted more drone strikes than Obama. So you can make the same argument about Trump voters.

My entire point is BOTH their foreign policy sucks ass, Obama's even more because he was supposed to be the "good guy".

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
We didn't use a drone to take out bin Laden, and if we did, that's an entirely different conversation than sending armed drones across Yemen, or even beyond Yemeni airspace.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would claim bin Laden wasn't a valid target, even in Pakistani territory (although it's likely Pakistan offered consent for that raid), by whatever means necessary (in conformance with international humanitarian law).

That has nothing to do with the broader drone campaign that we're discussing here.

If every drone strike killed the equivalent of an Osama bin Laden, and only Osama bin Ladens who declared open war against the U.S., and didn't kill innocent Yemeni wedding attendees, this wouldn't be a problem?

Accordingly, I don't view this as a valid analogy. The point is the extent, duration, and propensity to inflict what's colloquially known as collateral damage, as well as the propriety of engaging in warfare outside explicit Congressional authorization.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Obama didn't even publicly mention drone strikes until early 2012, and that was only because he was forced to defend them
www.theguardian.com

Drones may predate Obama, but his resolute use of them is unmatched

Civilians have been killed and officials warn it will ‘weaken the rule of law’, yet the president’s actions indicate drone warfare won’t be going away anytime soon

Maybe some people are fine with being lied to constantly by those in power, but we shouldn't be. This is not an American voter problem as much as it is a power problem. They can't be allowed to willingly lie and then use those lies to continue murdering secretly.

And all this secret murdering and proving we can war like the Repubs still had the Democrats losing big during Obama's admin. So we know from experienced reality that the shit don't work. What would work is not trying to be Repub lite with continually misleading the public, hiding evidence, and saying "fuck you" to Congress every time they try to limit your murdering powers.
Dem's may have lost big, but not Obama. He won re-election, and left with an all time popularity rating. Whatever Obama's faults, he was doing something right to get those results, and Biden won partially with a "return to how things were before with Obama" atmosphere around his campaign.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
this is an insulting post with no understanding Of how our election system works.
No shit, I understand how the electoral college works and that it isn't fair but that's not the topic here. No matter the process, the results are the results.

If only Americans applied such insight and nuance to foreign elections, the world would probably be a better place.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017

If you aren't for it, you are against it.
If you aren't against it, you are for it.
The war on terror is a meaningless term. You fight the war on terror in ways that do not include drone strikes.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
We didn't use a drone to take out bin Laden, and if we did, that's an entirely different conversation than sending armed drones across Yemen, or even beyond Yemeni airspace.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would claim bin Laden wasn't a valid target, even in Pakistani territory (although it's likely Pakistan offered consent for that raid), by whatever means necessary.

That has nothing to do with the broader drone campaign that we're discussing here.

If every drone strike killed the equivalent of an Osama bin Laden, and only Osama bin Ladens who declared open war against the U.S., and didn't kill innocent Yemeni wedding attendees, this wouldn't be a problem?

Accordingly, I don't view this as a valid analogy. The point is the extent, duration, and propensity to inflict what's colloquially known as collateral damage, as well as the propriety of engaging in warfare outside explicit Congressional authorization.
I think you are misunderstanding what I was trying to get across. The drones are ultimately irrelevant, they are just a tool to fight in the war on terror. I think they were used poorly and wrongly, and Obama should have realized the damage they were doing far earlier and done more to prevent that.

But in terms of winning elections, and carrying out effective operations, the drones were a plus for the publics understanding of him being tough on terrorism, even if they weren't aware of the details. If Obama was seen as hesitant to bombing terrorists, even if it was for a good reason he would have lost re-election, and possibly even left America less safe. The drones were just a tool to be tough on terror, being tough on terror is what Obama and voters were concerned about, not civilian casualties or long term effects.

The war on terror is a meaningless term. You fight the war on terror in ways that do not include drone strikes.

I agree. I think the majority of Americans understand that now, they didn't 12 years ago not long after 9-11. Again it's anecdotal, but lots of Bush voters in 04 in this area did so because they felt he was doing a good job keeping us safe and changing direction was risky. I don't know where people live, or how old they were at the time but it's hard to understand the mindset of the 2000s, especially if you live in this area of the country.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's war. It's an attack. None of this is secret. I guess I'm not sure what argument here is. He's never said. They don't target civilians with these strikes. That isn't being argued is it?

The civilian deaths are especially horrendous.

What war? The US is at war with Pakistan, Somalia, and Yemen? How many civilian conveys, hospitals, homes, schools, etc have to be bombed before you realise that inflicting psychological terror is the intent? The motherfucker armed the god damn Saudis to bomb the ever living shit out of Yemen. They don't target civilians my ass. Any person who had even the smallest concern for civilian safety would have been horrified with the first "accidental" bombing. Not this shit stain. Nope. He proceeds to lie and attempt to cover up the extent of the killings.

Mar 10, 2018
Well Trump said he'd pull out of all the wars but instead he conducted more drone strikes than Obama. So you can make the same argument about Trump voters.

My entire point is BOTH their foreign policy sucks ass, Obama's even more because he was supposed to be the "good guy".
Even then, you cannot fault the voters for that. If I told you that I decided to not vote for Biden this past election for fear that he might expand Obama's drone program, then this entire forum would ridicule me and call me a fool for increasing Trump's chances of winning. What choice would I have had? To not vote at all? Even then, that would have been deemed as "a vote for Trump." What would you have the American people do? We could all collectively agree to not vote at all, but that would require oneness of mind among some 240 million eligible voters, which kiiiiiiiiiinda seems unlikely.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I think you are misunderstanding what I was trying to get across. The drones are ultimately irrelevant, they are just a tool to fight in the war on terror. I think they were used poorly and wrongly, and Obama should have realized the damage they were doing far earlier and done more to prevent that.

But in terms of winning elections, and carrying out effective operations, the drones were a plus for the publics understanding of him being tough on terrorism, even if they weren't aware of the details. If Obama was seen as hesitant to bombing terrorists, even if it was for a good reason he would have lost re-election, and possibly even left America less safe. The drones were just a tool to be tough on terror, being tough on terror is what Obama and voters were concerned about, not civilian casualties or long term effects.

Don't wanna be reductionist here, so I'll just add a personal anecdote: I was in Afghanistan the morning the Bin Laden raid was announced. For better or worse, I'm well acquainted with the War on Terror.

Let me challenge you on this point, though. Obama killed Osama bin Laden on May 1, 2011. (Okay, not literally, but he ordered the operation, so he takes credit.)

Setting aside that a President (or anyone) should do the right thing no matter what, I really don't think the American people cared whether the drones kept bombing countries they'd never heard of... Bin Laden was the big "prize" after all.

Even setting that aside...

A [2015] Public Policy Polling survey found that 30% of Republicans and 19% of Democrats say they support "bombing Agrabah."

I don't believe for a second that "we got Bin Laden, we don't need to be in Yemen ... or Agrabah!" message is a political failure.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
People who said "this is grey area"... what would you do when you have your weddings got bombed to hell and back? Would you still care to say "this need nuance" or somesuch?

Cause talk is fucking cheap when you don't have your family members and loved ones bombed to smitheerens by some guy using a joystick.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really know what your point is here, but I legitimately want to understand; we've interacted enough to know that each other posts in good faith. In any case, I don't know what the US public has accepted. I'm talking about what I personally accept. In that, I believe that every military operation should strive, to the maximum extent possible, for zero damage to civilian objects and zero civilian casualties.
My point, in as few words as possible for clarity's sake is that the US public has "accepted", as in "tolerated the continuation and normalization of" civilian casualties, and that the acceptance is indicated by the fact that we are still there. However, if you were talking about personal acceptance, whereas I was talking about general public acceptance, then the digression here is pointless.

I was a teenager during the first few years of Afghanistan, I don't think I supported the war but I did not pay that much attention to it. I certainly did not raise my voice in objection at the time, I would've remembered that. By my own standards today, I would say past me "accepted" civilian casualties, based on past me's lack of interest in the war or objection to it.

What I mean about unavoidable civilian casualties gets into the realm of hypotheticals?
They were "avoidable" in the sense that to "avoid" them, all you would have to do is not deploy troops in Afghanistan and withdraw what troops you have there, or refuse the authorization of military strikes with explosive weapons against targets living in/among civilians. To use your knife analogy, only permit assassination of targets with knives, then we "avoid" this whole bombing civilians nonsense which we both agree is some degree of "unacceptable".

There was nothing, in my opinion, "unavoidable" about those civilian casualties. That Obama was pressured into making certain decisions that resulted in these casualties by the prevailing foreign policy of the day does not mean those decisions were "unavoidable", because at that point we remove culpability and agency from the equation, as everyone is subject to environmental pressures in everything they do.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
People who said "this is grey area"... what would you do when you have your weddings got bombed to hell and back? Would you still care to say "this need nuance" or somesuch?

Cause talk is fucking cheap when you don't have your family members and loved ones bombed to smitheerens by some guy using a joystick.
If that happened on American soil, there would be no nuance for the other side. But because it's in a far away land concerning brown folks who don't speak English or espouse American values with little media coverage in general, it's easy to abstract those humans as just pawns in a war game.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
Even then, you cannot fault the voters for that. If I told you that I decided to not vote for Biden this past election for fear that he might expand Obama's drone program, then this entire forum would ridicule me and call me a fool for increasing Trump's chances of winning. What choice would I have had? To not vote at all? Even then, that would have been deemed as "a vote for Trump." What would you have the American people do? We could all collectively agree to not vote at all, but that would require oneness of mind among some 240 million eligible voters, which kiiiiiiiiiinda seems unlikely.
I'm blaming both voters equally when it comes to foreign policy. However I'm not arguing that Trump and Obama are the same when it comes to domestic issues. In the American people's self-interest they should vote for a democrat but lets stop pretending that a corporate dem president helps the rest of the world anymore than a republican one.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Don't wanna be reductionist here, so I'll just add a personal anecdote: I was in Afghanistan the morning the Bin Laden raid was announced. For better or worse, I'm well acquainted with the War on Terror.

Let me challenge you on this point, though. Obama killed Osama bin Laden on May 1, 2011. (Okay, not literally, but he ordered the operation, so he takes credit.)

Setting aside that a President (or anyone) should do the right thing no matter what, I really don't think the American people cared whether the drones kept bombing countries they'd never heard of... Bin Laden was the big "prize" after all.

Even setting that aside...

I don't believe for a second that "we got Bin Laden, we don't need to be in Yemen ... or Agrabah!" message is a political failure.
No need to worry about being reductionist here, thank you for your service over there whatever capacity it was in. I'm glad we both have a perspective rooted in our experiences.

As far as the article, it is 4 years after Bin Laden's death, so it's hard to say how much of "the boogyman is dead, we don't care anymore" effects that research vs 2008, or even 2012. I do agree that that message wouldn't be a problem now, but we are also living in a time now where Americans don't really care what happens over there due to the instability here. Weirdly enough, I don't think ISIS or terrorism came up once at any of the presidential debates.

But yeah, Americans in general don't seem to care how something is done, long as it is done. If they don't have to worry about terrorist attacks, they're happy to let the federal government do whatever it does no matter what it's doing. My sense is any attempt to pull back anti terrorism operations that don't endanger US soldiers will be hammered by Republicans as weak, which maybe is a failing of our own systems at play than it is our citizens.

Again, I don't agree the drone program was used as it should have been, and Obama was wrong in not doing something sooner. But I also think there is a certain disconnect because people don't associate it with real wartime operations, and perhaps that was Obamas problem at first too. There is no risk using drones, at least not for us and that leads you to make bolder and suffer less consequences when mistakes are made.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
My point, in as few words as possible for clarity's sake is that the US public has "accepted", as in "tolerated the continuation and normalization of" civilian casualties, and that the acceptance is indicated by the fact that we are still there. However, if you were talking about personal acceptance, whereas I was talking about general public acceptance, then the digression here is pointless.

I was a teenager during the first few years of Afghanistan, I don't think I supported the war but I did not pay that much attention to it. I certainly did not raise my voice in objection at the time, I would've remembered that. By my own standards today, I would say past me "accepted" civilian casualties, based on past me's lack of interest in the war or objection to it.

They were "avoidable" in the sense that to "avoid" them, all you would have to do is not deploy troops in Afghanistan and withdraw what troops you have there, or refuse the authorization of military strikes with explosive weapons against targets living in/among civilians. To use your knife analogy, only permit assassination of targets with knives, then we "avoid" this whole bombing civilians nonsense which we both agree is some degree of "unacceptable".

There was nothing, in my opinion, "unavoidable" about those civilian casualties. That Obama was pressured into making certain decisions that resulted in these casualties by the prevailing foreign policy of the day does not mean those decisions were "unavoidable", because at that point we remove culpability and agency from the equation, as everyone is subject to environmental pressures in everything they do.
I think we might've been talking past each other, then. I completely agree that all of the casualties we're talking about were "avoidable," using your definition of the term.

And, moreover, I think that the situation itself is unacceptable. In other words, every citizen should be very concerned with how the state to which they belong uses force. Sometimes, it's warranted. Many times, it's not.

I am especially concerned with how the state's internal communications teams (or, propaganda, to use a colloquial term) inveighs for or against support of the use of force.

In my lay opinion, using the power (force) a state can marshal against another state, a group of people, or an individual is the quintessential political activity, and therefore it's the one that citizens ought to be the most concerned with.

sandyph

Oct 31, 2017

lol, no.
we saw how you cheered when Obama announced that he killed Bin Laden.
you guys would've cheers as loud when Soleimani was killed if not for the fact that Trump ordered that one

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020
The gloss has really come off Obama in recent times. He promised hope and change and all we got was more Neolib trash.