• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That is a crazy time frame.

Well it took two years for FFXV to be complete.
Can Athia be compared to that though? Versus XIII already had 6 years of work poured into it by time they decided to shift the technology, the platforms, to rebrand, to rewrite, change directors and change scope so they could just ship something in 2016.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
Man, I wish Microsoft would answer with stuff like "You wanna play? Have fun with our Bethesda games in.... Let's say 3 years after we released them."

It's really hard to swallow how fair Microsoft tries to be with their shit and Sony just has none of it, doesn't care at all.

I don't even know what this is about? MS is the same as Sony, they both want their console to be the most popular and are willing to do the same things to achieve that, also pretty sure the only Bethesda games that will be released on PS5 is the ones that was announced before MS bought Bethesda. So no MS is not "trying to be fair with their shit" as you put it, neither MS or Sony are more fair than the other company.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Than I won't play it for 2 years, that's fine with me.

Exclusivity windows are annoying but I really couldn't care any less anymore. If a big dev wants to make money by preventing a segment of the market from not playing their games than whatever, I'll just play the game eventually or probably forget about it.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Can Athia be compared to that though? Versus XIII already had 6 years of work poured into it by time they decided to shift the technology, the platforms, to rebrand, to rewrite, change directors and change scope so they could just ship something in 2016.

No Athia can't be compared to XV outside of knowing the same people made it. Its even written by very different people so you can't even make a judgement on the story based of XV.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Sony stays shitty, SE gets shittier. This game might as well not even exist for me as someone who plays almost exclusively on Xbox. Can't wait for it to come out on Xbox at $50-70 and then SE wonders by Xbox players don't buy their games.

At this point I'm just done with SE. I bought all the old school FF ports on Xbox to support but obviously that amounted to nothing. I'll play their stuff when it hits Game Pass but no chance I give them any of my money going forward.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
All this money Sony spending to make SE games exclusive, seems like kind of a waste... I mean if they had paid it all as one lump sum they probably could have owned SquareEnix by now, right?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Oo0o0o0 that's awhile.

Do we know how long FF16 will be exclusive for?

final_fantasy_16_art_2.png
Got to wait for a Sony sizzle reel to find out. 😂

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Jesus 2 years? And people think elder scrolls is coming to the ps5?

Sony just escalated the time exclusive shit to a new level. Which pretty much secures this as a Gamepass game when those two years are up for people who don't own a ps5 so it's not bad for them.

Buy all consoles folks

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
When it finally comes to Xbox after all that time wonder if they will try to get it on gamepass.

For sure, doubt many Xbox only gamers will be willing to pay full price for a 2 year old game. Dragon Quest will be an interesting case study for big Japanese games going forward for Xbox. They will look at how well it's doing.

Project Athia also doesn't have the pull that FF7R has, because people will still pay full price for FF7 even after a year.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony stays shitty, SE gets shittier. This game might as well not even exist for me as someone who plays almost exclusively on Xbox. Can't wait for it to come out on Xbox at $50-70 and then SE wonders by Xbox players don't buy their games.

At this point I'm just done with SE. I bought all the old school FF ports on Xbox to support but obviously that amounted to nothing. I'll play their stuff when it hits Game Pass but no chance I give them any of my money going forward.
On the brightside I feel like their games have been a lot less appealing the last few years so it doesn't feel like much of a loss to me at this point.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Seems like a smart buy from Sony. These games are not cheap, somebody has to take the upfront cost.

Oct 25, 2017
That is a crazy time frame.

Versus XIII certainly didn't have 6 years of work put into it. The project was completely stalled during most of that time, and according to people who worked on it, the whole thing was going nowhere and was at risk of being completely canned until Tabata was put in charge to deliver a final product.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
All this money Sony spending to make SE games exclusive, seems like kind of a waste... I mean if they had paid it all as one lump sum they probably could have owned SquareEnix by now, right?

That assumes it costs Sony a bunch of money to keep these games exclusive to begin with. I'm sure it cost them *something* but given the lopsided marketshare the PS4 had over the XBO, and also considering PC is still day and date, SE likely isn't losing a significant amount of sales this way.

Also this is anecdotal, but if the attitude among XSX or XSS owners is heavily "wait for gamepass" regardless, that itself is an incentive for SE to prioritize other platforms for new release.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
What's the over/under that this game will end up like Deep Down?

Man, I wish Microsoft would answer with stuff like "You wanna play? Have fun with our Bethesda games in.... Let's say 3 years after we released them."

It's really hard to swallow how fair Microsoft tries to be with their shit and Sony just has none of it, doesn't care at all.

Companies don't operate on your petty little grudges; they want to maximize revenue.

But also, wouldn't timed exclusivity be improvement since it's assumed that future Bethesda games (except the ones already confirmed for PS4/5) won't EVER be coming to Playstation?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well if this becomes common practice hopefully folks don't get upset when Microsoft locks down another developer or AAA title.

I'm not sure how the equivalent response to a dumb timed exclusive deal is buying entire studios completely so their games never release on other hardware.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean not even close. Buying Square would cost billions and I doubt they have spent even close to a billion with the exclusive deals

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
2 years has to be the most ridiculous thing I read today. Timed exclusives from a major publisher is a terrible practice. This will only encourage Microsoft to purchase more studios.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018

I don't get it, how is Sony securing content any different from MS buying Bethesda and potentially taking traditionally multiplatform games off PS and Switch?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
That assumes it costs Sony a bunch of money to keep these games exclusive to begin with. I'm sure it cost them *something* but given the lopsided marketshare the PS4 had over the XBO, and also considering PC is still day and date, SE likely isn't losing a significant amount of sales this way.

Also this is anecdotal, but if the attitude among XSX or XSS owners is heavily "wait for gamepass" regardless, that itself is an incentive for SE to prioritize other platforms for new release.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
And people wonder why MS is out there buying up developers and publishers. This arms race doesn't end well for anybody.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Wow... Two Years.... even just thinking about it seems like a long time. Its going to feel much worse for those waiting it out

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
And I won't be playing this until it's on Game Pass. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same.

And this right here is why Sony will have some crazy 3rd party exclusives this gen. People on Xbox want everything on Gamepass. Why would Square release the games on Xbox when everyone will just wait for it to come to Gamepass.
That comes with the territory. Can't have it both ways. I think we will see some crazy 3rd party exclusives on PS5 and Switch because their userbase still buys games.

This is just logic. Same thing happened with Netflix and bluray sales etc...

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
24 months seems excessive, and not in a "paid exclusives suck" aspect. With this type of game (JRPG) in relation to Xbox (not popular in Japan/with fans of the genre) this just seems like a confirmation-bias set up. Nobody who wants to play this will wait two years to do so, and at that point low sales/engagement (GP) will "prove" that nobody on Xbox wants to play/support that content.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
At a certain point, MS will have to prove to gamers and shareholders that these purchases are worth it. That's never brought up.
People really don't even think about the ramifications especially if MS wants to have games become more episodic etc to help sustain Gamepass. Already getting a hint of that from that new the initiative game, and how halo is now a platform etc people really dont consider a lot of things when it comes to what Gamepass means long term, absolutely there are some pluses but there are things that could fundamentally change how games are presented over time from MS.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017

How is MS fair exactly when they're buying studios left and right and locking them to their ecosystem? there's no fair in here. Just bossiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.