• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Nobody should be expecting this feature to bring back previously existing online features in PS2 games. For a start, we don't even know if the PS2 range of games is anything more than it was on PS4. Even if that does happen, the baseline for expectations should still be what's possible with Share Play. If a SOCOM game for PS2 appeared out of nowhere on PS4 today, would Share Play alone turn it into something SOCOM fans were happy with? I think not.

edit: nvm, I see what's going on here, this thread popped off quick and didn't realize it was just 2 player MP via shareplay

edit2: jeez I was still off. it's just a game description that no ones even tried yet? maybe we should take PS1 Online out of the thread title

Last edited:

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the Worms World Party description on the store:
Access the fantastic "Wormpot" which gives you over 1000 different game styles. All modes are available offline, online, or a mixture of both!
They just copied the steam description.

FEATURES:
  • Access the fantastic "Wormpot" which gives you over 1000 different game styles. All modes are available offline, online, or a mixture of both!
  • Over 20 Multiplayer missions: players can now team up with a buddy to tackle cooperative missions where working together is the only way to twin. Alternatively, check out the competitive missions and fight in specially prepared scenarios.
  • Single player and multiplayer, 2-6 players either local or online.
  • It's a veritable feast with nearly 60 weapons, ranging from the relatively calorie-free bazooka to the full fat concrete Donkey. Oh man!
  • If you're late to the party scene, don't worry. Our friendly training section will soon have you dancing with the rest of us.

store.steampowered.com

Worms World Party Remastered on Steam

Imagine taking the perfect online gaming experience and one of the most popular Worms games ever made, adding a touch of Steam achievements, leaderboards, cloud saves, full controller support; a little sprinkle of 1080 / 60FPS, and you have Worms World Party Remastered!

I'm 100% willing to say that's a mistake because it lists "offline play enabled" on the official PlayStation features when regular online games say "Online play optional"

You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment. Its a clear error of them not typing a new description

I think it might be a good idea to temper expectations on what "online play" here likely is.

It's probably Share Play (or a derivative of it using the same technology). Meaning, local multiplayer, as it existed in those games originally, except with controller inputs sent over the internet.

For games like Tekken 2, that would mean one person playing locally while the other gets all the network lag. That will technically work but won't be ideal.

I guess PSP games might have local wireless multiplayer working over the internet. That's not confirmed or anything and I don't think I'd bet money on it, but it doesn't seem out of the question.

Nobody should be expecting this feature to bring back previously existing online features in PS2 games. For a start, we don't even know if the PS2 range of games is anything more than it was on PS4. Even if that does happen, the baseline for expectations should still be what's possible with Share Play. If a SOCOM game for PS2 appeared out of nowhere on PS4 today, would Share Play alone turn it into something SOCOM fans were happy with? I think not.
Nobody should expect online play period.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Excellent.

Just with PS4 BC, looks to be exceeding pre launch expectations.

I like Sony's approach. Keep expectations low, then exceed them. Makes sense, and works out better in the long run.
Quite often the gaming industry does that in reverse, which leads to a shitshow at launch.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so is online now not happening?
people took poor copy and ran with it. it never was announced. they would have been bragging about that.

the correct copy for these rereleases which is common through all of them is
originally released on the PlayStation® console, enhanced with up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters.
they would have included online in there if it was happening. its not. those are the new features "up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters."

it matches what was in the playstation blog too

PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members will have a selection of popular classic games to play, with some titles that will show improved frame rates and higher-quality resolution compared to their original launch versions. For select original PlayStation and PSP classic games, members will also enjoy a new user interface with menus that allow you to save your game at any time, or even rewind the game if you want a do-over.

blog.playstation.com

All-new PlayStation Plus game lineup: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, NBA 2K22, and more join the service

Ape Escape, Super Stardust Portable,Syphon Filter, and Tekken 2, are among the classic games with a new user experience.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
people took poor copy and ran with it. it never was announced. they would have been bragging about that.

the correct copy for these rereleases which is common through all of them is

they would have included online in there if it was happening. its not. those are the new features "up-rendering, rewind, quick save, and custom video filters."

it matches what was in the playstation blog too

blog.playstation.com

All-new PlayStation Plus game lineup: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Demon’s Souls, Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut, NBA 2K22, and more join the service

Ape Escape, Super Stardust Portable,Syphon Filter, and Tekken 2, are among the classic games with a new user experience.
In all fairness, they didn't list Trophies either time, but we know at least some games will be getting them.

Though, I imagine "online" will only be a share play type thing, like I believe it is on Switch. Something like SOCOM getting its actual servers and shit back up most likely won't happen.

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah so it seems like the "Online" was just taken from the Worms description which was lifted from Steam? Maybe we should edit the thread title for now?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Completely valid and I agree, I just think we can't blame anyone expectation wise at this point when there's 0 communication on the feature(s) - they're literally leaving people to draw their own conclusions when they clearly could have gotten out ahead of this.
Yeah, definitely would be unfair to blame anyone, communication has been scattershot and Sony are really bringing this right down to the wire in terms of giving out full information.

Nobody should expect online play period.
Share Play will still add at least basic online functionality to games that had local multiplayer.

0xe0x

Banned
Dec 23, 2021
Always expected this SEA launch making us the guinea pig for the launches in major regions.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Checking Exophase be like:
MoiPoLRAROXQshLTGz9q-lXUyHu5_Zqotgqpa4O6Nc0.jpg

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I could still see games which had link cable support getting some kind of online play added, but it does seem likely that the Worms description is just a copy/paste mistake.

It will be interesting as to whether or not PSP games which supported ad-hoc (local wireless) multiplayer get online multiplayer, given that they previously enabled this via an app on the PS3.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The CRT filter looks like it's just scanlines but to be fair they don't actually call it a CRT filter in the menus.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
So with PSplus Premium I will be able to access all of those classic games or I am still required to purchase them separately?

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
But obviously you have to keep subscribing to play them. I'll just be buying the ones I want to play indefinitely.

Also, do we know if you can backup saves to USB?

Sickteddy

Mar 28, 2022
So, if the service launches tomorrow (Asia) it was not supposed Sony announce all the games that will be on it today?

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They should give us a choice between NTSC and PAL versions like Nintendo does.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Tempering expectations that even if a 'full' list here is disappointing, this may well be a soft launch

I'll start to get real interested in terms of Japan's launch line up

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Nintendo does? I honestly don't remember the option, then again I only played SNES games on the service, not the N64 ones
The N64 app includes the PAL versions for games that have multiple language support (if it was always just English there isn't much of a point so they're left out). Really something they should include for select games in the NES and SNES apps too; even the Zelda Game & Watch includes Link's Awakening in German and French in addition to the standard English and Japanese, so maybe Game Boy will have that when those games arrive.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah the N64 versions. Actually NES & SNES are all just NTSC aren't they? I guess more N64 games support more languages.
I think so, at least the ones I played didn't have any of the usual PAL slowdown.
The N64 app includes the PAL versions for games that have multiple language support (if it was always just English there isn't much of a point so they're left out). Really something they should include for select games in the NES and SNES apps too; even the Zelda Game & Watch includes Link's Awakening in German and French in addition to the standard English and Japanese, so maybe Game Boy will have that when those games arrive.
Oh that's really nice

Akuma-san メカ豪鬼

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
At what time will we get a games lineup? I'm more interested in that tbh

Assuming it goes up at midnight (which tbh, I doubt), it's midnight in Japan in 6 hours.

From the blog post
As part of the rollout of our new service, we will start transitioning members' accounts on 23 May and expect the process to be completed for all members by the end of the day on 24 May in Asia. We are eager to provide this new service to our fans, and we hope you'll enjoy the curated catalog of games when it launches!

Witter

Apr 12, 2022
Never played Returnal, Ghost of Tsushima or Demon's Soul's so this lineup of games is amazing for me