mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
And if you think about it, im sure Sony lost potential sales on cosmetic items by not allowing this. If people had to create 2nd accounts, they probably also started purchasing stuff on those 2nd accounts. That means Sony were not getting a dime out of that, and these were their original customers.

Now, this allows those people to just buy everything on playstation and use it whenever.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
Whew, was a bit worried because I did make a separate account for the switch/android. Glad we'll be able to merge accounts. This is huge, now I can buy the battle pass on the ps4 and make progress on one account across multiple devices.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
And if you think about it, im sure Sony lost potential sales on cosmetic items by not allowing this. If people had to create 2nd accounts, they probably also started purchasing stuff on those 2nd accounts.

This is exactly what I'd been doing. My main account has my PC, Xbox and Switch accounts tied to it so I was making all my real money purchases through those store fronts.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm honestly shocked that Sony relented. I've been swearing up and down that they would never do it, but i guess they do respond sometimes, i guess. Good for the users

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Getting my Overwatch stuff on PC would be great too. And Destiny. And rocket league.

Cross progression needs to happen.

Yeah this. I played a ton of Overwatch on PS4 because at the time its all I had to play it but now I have a laptop which I bought Overwatch for when it was on sale earlier this summer and its a much better playing experience but I still get bummed that I have none of the stuff I have unlocked on PS4. :(

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Lol You are more than welcome to go through my post history and see where I stayed I didn't support Sony's stance, but whatever you say champ.
Public outcry definitely had a part in this. People are happy cause their accounts are not being held hostage and they can play with friends from other platforms. Nice little passive aggressive pet name at the end there though. Very cute.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I really do hope 1 day we learn what was the final straw that made them bend. Because as of like 2-3 weeks ago they were still very much in the fuck cross-play camp, based on the CEOs comments, so I doubt it was planned long. Just based on the timing I think obviously EPIC and Fortnite's upcoming Season 6 played a part in changing their mind, but I wonder what it was.

Alec

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Anyone else get a hit of dopamine whenever they connect a new account?

cVsHHSf.png

mlappy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 15, 2018
Kanada
This is exactly what I'd been doing. My main account has my PC, Xbox and Switch accounts tied to it so I was making all my real money purchases through those store fronts.

Yeah and it makes sense, youll buy shit on the store that supports the most platforms. Its logical. This is why im sure that there will be no going back from this.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really do hope 1 day we learn what was the final straw that made them bend. Because as of like 2-3 weeks ago they were still very much in the fuck cross-play camp, based on the CEOs comments, so I doubt it was planned long. Just based on the timing I think obviously EPIC and Fortnite's upcoming Season 6 played a part in changing their mind, but I wonder what it was.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to believe that the initial outrage is what got to them. It wasn't long before we got a statement along the lines of "we'll consider things" and then they mostly went dark. It was just random comments by higher-ups that made people think they went back on that promise.

As this also has broader implications than just Fortnite, they probably needed time to form a strategy.

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
Question:
So if I am on Switch and open up cross-play by grouping with friends that are on PS4, does that put us in a match with just PS4 and Switch players? Or can PC players be in that match as well?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Likely only for games devs are insistent on wanting crossplay. otherwise Sony arent gonna make it a standard feature
True, it's not even really Sony's place to make it a standard feature. They're just allowing developers to implement cross-play themselves. AKA hit up Sony and make sure you've got the go-ahead, after that, it's on you and your team to achieve.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'd be more inclined to believe that the initial outrage is what got to them. It wasn't long before we got a statement along the lines of "we'll consider things" and then they mostly went dark. It was just random comments by higher-ups that made people think they went back on that promise.

As this also has broader implications than just Fortnite, they probably needed time to form a strategy.
I think that's definitely a huge factor, maybe it just getting louder every time they or someone commented on it was the final straw. Or just the CEO not really realizing how much of a stink it was causing until he directly stepped in it with that recent interview.
Would love to be a fly on the wall when they just said "ah, fuck it" and called up EPIC if so.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spider Man
PlayStation Classic
PlayStation Now Downloads
Cross Play
Cross Progression

What other anti gamer things are left to fix?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Question:
So if I am on Switch and open up cross-play by grouping with friends that are on PS4, does that put us in a match with just PS4 and Switch players? Or can PC players be in that match as well?
If I recall correctly, Fortnite will group you and your party according to your chosen input method. AKA if you play with a controller (on console or on PC) you'll be matched with controller players, and if you or anyone in your squad plays with a mouse and keyboard (on console or on PC) you'll be matched with mouse and keyboard players. (That's also how GTA V Online has worked on PC since its inception.) Really, that's the way to go moving forward.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
PS: who wants to play old games anyways

release PS Classic

PS: We dont want cross play with other console cuz we the best

announces cross play

thanks for not continuing on being a dick Sony and actually doing things that are for the players (altho a nice step would be to have BC on your console not sell 20 games for 100USD but baby steps)

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Yes! Epic looking into account merging by November is all I needed to hear. I will get my old season stuff back :)

also, If Im reading correctly, is it possible to put my switch account on my ps4...or not yet?

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
bloody dammit double post delayed.

Wonder what forced Sony to actually break. it was not this gen cause they are set on stone and no publisher could threaten em. so I wonder if this saw this being a problem once the new gens started??

Probably. I always argued that they'd move on it when they saw it would impact their bottom line more by not having it, and they clearly come to the conclusion that it's reached or will reach that point enough to affect their next gen plans.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I recall correctly, Fortnite will group you and your party according to your chosen input method. AKA if you play with a controller (on console or on PC) you'll be matched with controller players, and if you or anyone in your squad plays with a mouse and keyboard (on console or on PC) you'll be matched with mouse and keyboard players. (That's also how GTA V Online has worked on PC since its inception.) Really, that's the way to go moving forward.
PC doesnt splt.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Wonder what forced Sony to actually break. it was not this gen cause they are set on stone and no publisher could threaten em. so I wonder if this saw this being a problem once the new gens started??
Someone at Sony had a dream where MS and Nintendo upload a quick low budget video on how to cross play during next gen launch.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
FFXIV and ESO needs this. TERA too, I suppose. The former two more than the latter, though, given their popularity. Fragmenting the player bases for something as community-essential as an MMORPG never made any sense—other than greed and platform politics.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. It was a small risk, but a risk Sony doesn't want to make.

IMO, there was likely some parts of the company that wanted Crossplay after the fallout, but it took time for internal arguments between big wigs before they can finally agree to do this.

I initially thought they would do it as a part of the PS5 reveal. But since doing crossplay is something that is a fundamental strategy shift, it is very likely best to beta-test it first on a small scale and then go wide once the next gen starts.

As others said, there is no going back. Yes, it is currently limited, but it is standard for things like that. Once you break the wall down, patching it back up is hard.

Mr. Fantastic

Alt-account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
b-but the massive player pool

mouth meet crow

not giving kudos to sony on this, they're late enough as it is. are they unlocking the fortnite cross-progression, or is this only a half-measure?

libregkd

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV and ESO needs this. TERA too, I suppose. The former two more than the latter, though, given their popularity. Fragmenting the player bases for something as community-essential as an MMORPG never made any sense—other than greed and platform politics.
?

FFXIV is only out on the PS4 and PC and it has supported cross-play since launch. Unless you are talking about FFXIV being possibly ported to other platforms.