• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now Epic needs to make limited time events where there's 4 teams of 25: 25 Xbox One players, 25 PlayStation 4 players, 25 Nintendo Switch players, 25 PC players (on the controller playlist). The ultimate console war battle royale, lmao. Then they should post the global statistics.

clintar

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This was what the tweet was about that said they were making big changes to psn to be ready for ps5, isn't it?

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Stop making excuses. It obviously never made "financial sense" for Sony to block console cross play because if it did and that's truly why they blocked crossplay in the first place then they probably wouldn't have just suddenly opened it up. It never made financial sense. It's not first place tactics vs second place tactics. Sony was just being arrogant. They aren't anymore. Good on them.
But that's the thing about companies, people, groups...they can change their mind based on the circumstances they find themselves in. The backlash was massive. More than they expected. This caused them to reconsider their stance.

How is this an excuse? This isn't downplaying anything. Simply understanding why someone/a company does something and responding to someone asking why they would do such a thing is fine. This'll be my last post on the topic. I hope this extends to more than just Fortnite.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
He already knows, he's just being deliberately ignorant.

I know he already knows. That's what puzzles me... he gets told the same thing in every single thread (and that's ignoring how he had his soul snatched regarding SFV crossplay), but just turns up in every new thread like he had complete amnesia on the issue.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Now Epic needs to make limited time events where there's 4 teams of 25: 25 Xbox One players, 25 PlayStation 4 players, 25 Nintendo Switch players, 25 PC players (on the controller playlist). The ultimate console war battle royale, lmao. Then they should post the global statistics.

PC player wins every time because of those goddamn speed demons that rebind their keys and can build a house faster than I can turn around

jawzpause

Nov 7, 2017
Can you imagine cross play games in the future where its battle royal squads with Android vs pc vs playstation vs Xbox etc, the trash talk would be glorious

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats everyone.

Now the ball is in third party devs who now should implement cross play in all their future games, since there is not an excuse anymore to not include them

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Cross play should be the standard moving forward for any multiplayer game. Good thing Sony got called out, otherwise they were never going to change.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Stance is still the same: don't care about cross-play (but won't turn down some friendly competition with Xbox and Nintendo players), but glad that they are reversing their policy on cross-progression, that was always BS

Hey, I don't care about cross play either, like AT ALL, all I'm unbelievable exited for is the cross progression between every platform. I have my most friends on PS4, but if I want to play alone a few rounds in even better graphic, I can do it on Xbox and still progress on my level and battle pass. If I'm not at home, I can continue doing my challenges on my Switch. That is amazing.

Crossplay, I don't care, but progression, oh fuck yes.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Good job GAMERZ and screw all the people who downplayed and said Sony would never do it because it made no "business sense". Now we just gotta bug them nonstop for individual games!

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
Great news!

Some choice quotes from ERA:

Sony will never do crossplay because they would help their competitors.

Why should Sony work with the competition? They have the best hardware

Nah it ain't happening.

QRrPpEo.png

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
This is great news.
Hopefully this can extend to other games, we might actually be able to get games like FF14 on Switch and XboxOne then.

Deleted member 18742

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very excited for this. Glad cross progression will be supported. Not that I would ever want to play on Switch, having the option just in case is nice.

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think this has to do with update 6.0? Backend changes on PSN?

I cant imagine why theyd cave when they could have continued being dicks and ignored it

This is such a feel good moment

I'd guess this took some convincing from the higher-ups at Playstation America and maybe Europe to Japan HQ. It's an 'easy' issue to rectify, and there's no real reason to carry known-negativity into your next console launch, when you've ran away with this generation.
Anyone high on Playstation has one less reason to leave next console cycle, and anyone not completely sold on Sony has one more reason to give them a second look when PS5 is announced.
Good shit, in my opinion.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This is why you complain and complain loudly
Because it can change things despite many people believing it won't or doesn't need to. Hopefully, this is just the way it is from here on out. Cross play from now on.
Also, XIV on Xbox One and Switch is a possibility now. Sony would hopefully go with it as having a bigger playerbase for an MMO
Yes I know they dropped PS3

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never would've thought they would do it.

I hope there's an option to not crossplay with certain players like mobile and PC.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yes. It's finally over. Lick my balls everyone who argued against this and said by complaining on the internet meant nothing.
It's not over until it's the case for everything and not just Fortnite.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Yeah, Sony is still just dipping their toes. Hopefully positive support for this decision will help motivate them loosen the shackles some more.
Agreed. Hopefully quickly too and not staying on this position until PS5.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy this happened just so I don't have to listen to all the ridiculous arguments defending Sony's stance against cross-play anymore.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
They most likely saw a drop in player count or VBucks purchased unlike the rest of versions, they wouldn't have done this otherwise.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Since Kodera took on Kaz's Job, they allowed PS Now downloads, crossplay/progression, anything else I'm missing? Granted some of these decision could have been done before him but still.