• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I've been studying the PS4 Pro enhancements thread a bit looking for games that could potentially benefit most from a (theoretical?) PS5 boost mode. Basically, either PS4-optimized games using 18 CUs at the full 2.2ghz vs PS4's 800mhz, or PS4 Pro-optimized games running all 36 CUs at 2.2ghz vs Pro's 911mhz... along with the full throttle Ryzen 2 CPU in both scenarios

Which developers had enough intuition to provide us with options to get something better than what Pro could offer without the need to patch, update, or upgrade their game for PS5? A couple of possible candidates I've seen (again, this is mostly non-service games from pre-2019 that are likely not getting updates):

• Dark Souls 3 is a good one, as the framerate was unlocked for PS4 Pro but led to pretty wild fluctuations that don't really settle anywhere near 60fps
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War seems to have 4K dynamic res settling around 1600p with increased graphical settings, should easily get to full 4K with double GPU freq
  • Both Nioh and Nioh 2 allow you to unlock the framerate in Quality mode, which isn't a great experience on Pro due to big dips in the dynamic 4K and framerate but PS5 might be able to get both to stable 4K60 (though Nioh 2 is a good candidate for a PS5 patch/upgrade)
  • Until Dawn could finally get to 60fps, as the Pro's boost mode did allow it to do a little bit better. Faster asset loading, much faster CPU and nearly 3x the GPU clocks could finally be the ticket to good perf
  • Both Star Ocean 4 and Resonance of Fate remasters have an unusually large amount of graphical options for console games which can tax the Pro quite a bit if you are aiming for 4K60. Should be able to max them out with no problem on PS5.
Any others that may receive a notable boost thanks to the developer's forward-thinking?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm playing Hellblade on Pro (60 fps mode) and I'd think a boost mode on PS5 could help with better resolution and a solid 60 fps lock. I'm sticking with 60 fps on Pro, but man, the hit in resolution is very severe and somewhat undesirable at times.

Games like The Surge and The Surge 2 could have solid 60 fps throughout too I suppose and hopefully SFV gets something like shorter loading times.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
It's not GPU related but I think Bloodborne will go from 45sec loading to 1-3 sec loading without a patch, Souls games load very fast on PC and I doubt they did anything particarly unique on the PC ports

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I'd say any game with a performance mode as most that do that don't even maintain anything close to 60.

What I'd actually like tho is resolution boosts for some stuff like BloodBorne which never got the Pro treatment.

Astroroom

Aug 19, 2020
I've heard that Last Guardian can have a relatively locked framerate on a PS4 Pro if you force it to 1080p so perhaps it could naturally be a locked 30 in 4k on the PS5.

Oct 30, 2017
God of War unlocked higher framerate mode could improve greatly even without a patch but being one of the premier titles it will probably get a patch.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monster hunter, FFXV, GTSport, RE2, KH3, all games that have performance options.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
The game I want to most benefit from it? Final Fantasy XV. Give me solid 60fps and cut that fast traveling load times out of existence.

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard that Last Guardian can have a relatively locked framerate on a PS4 Pro if you force it to 1080p so perhaps it could naturally be a locked 30 in 4k on the PS5.

This is a good one, i played at 1080p but yes I think it was 1800p and the performance was regarded as pretty poor

God of War unlocked higher framerate mode could improve greatly even without a patch but being one of the premier titles it will probably get a patch.

This one could be simple, they just need to add an unlock toggle to the Quality mode. That checkerboard 4K was gorgeous, but GOW was a ton more fluid and responsive at the 50fps or whatever it ran at in performance mode

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I'm hoping some of these games coming out soon that aren't on PS5 or Next-gen have a hidden "if played on PS5 run at a higher resolution" or something. Like if NHL 21 caps out at 1440p on PS4, a setting where it can run higher on PS5.
Don't know if that's feasible.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I didn't know about Nioh's option to unlock framerate in Quality Mode, that's fantastic. Upgraded visuals and native 4K60 without a patch, brilliant.

DOOM will be able to get solid native 1440p60. Sekiro will lock at 60fps. Project CARS 3 should go from a mess of dynamic resolution and framerate drops to 1440p60.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter World (and I'm waiting for PS5 to play Iceborne as a result!)
Unlocked framerate in the "Performance" mode, frame drops all over the place in general, long ass load times. It should excel on PS5.

Bloodborne won't play like absolute shit, hopefully
Bloodborne's frame pacing isn't likely to be fixed without a patch i'm afraid.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
  • Both Star Ocean 4 and Resonance of Fate remasters have an unusually large amount of graphical options for console games which can tax the Pro quite a bit if you are aiming for 4K60. Should be able to max them out with no problem on PS5.

That was my first thought, being able to ramp up all the graphical options on Star Ocean 4 will make that game gorgoeus, Square future-proofed that game without even knowing lol

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian for sure.

I finished Ratchet and Clank on a PS4 Pro and there are some big frame drops when things get chaotic

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Why Days Gone? I got a pretty solid 30fps framerate when I played (admittedly a few months after launch).

Same, I played after the Survival mode patch and it was smooth as silk, save for a minor hitch here and there on long trips

That was my first thought, being able to ramp up all the graphical options on Star Ocean 4 will make that game gorgoeus, Square future-proofed that game without even knowing lol

Bless Tri-Ace, they have been very good to their fans with the table scraps they get from Square and Sega

Avengers in highest performance mode.

This one is getting a full next-gen version

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Bloodborne's frame pacing isn't likely to be fixed without a patch i'm afraid.

Ah, well that's fair I guess. I was hoping it would have been something like Halo 3 on Xbox 360 which also had a very wobbly frame time graph (not as bad as Bloodborne though) because of the way the game was pushing GPU (I think) limitations which is why the game plays noticeably better through backwards compatibility on Xbox One.

If I remember correctly though the PS4 Pro's boost mode did help a little bit with the Bloodborne frame pacing, but the PS4 Pro just wasn't powerful enough to handle it. I'll have to look for the DF video later

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until Dawn would be mostly there!
PS4 Pro was a good step in the right direction performance wise, maybe it can finally run as intended on PS5.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So if I m correct, if a ps4 game never received a patch for pro , ps5 will act as a ps4 but with 5.2 tf power. Correct ?(18 cu ×2350mhz clock)

That's a massive jump . Damn

OP
OP
Fisty

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So if I m correct, if a ps4 game never received a patch for pro , ps5 will act as a ps4 but with 5.2 tf power. Correct ?(18 cu ×2350mhz clock)

That's a massive jump . Damn

That's the assumption, iirc boost mode on PS4 Pro only uses half the CUs for compatibility but it does use the increased frequencies (which is why boost mode gains are usually negligible since you are only getting an extra 111mhz per CU and the small CPU boost). If its the same here yea, huge boost per CU should mean big boosts for games that have performance deficiencies

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Wolfenstein: The New Order and The New Colossus could greatly benefit from a steadier 60fps and max resolution.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to try a really bad game like dragon age and see what happens. That game has people pop in after 20 seconds of the scene being rendered.