• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

if Sony don't change, will you change?

• No

Votes: 3,385 73.0%
  • yes

Votes: 1,253 27.0%

• Total voters

adin75

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Sony could say no to crossplay, cross progression, cross dressing and backwards compatibilty and I will still buy PS5. Not having those things will cause me zero problems (I do hope they bring it for those that would like them though).

As long as they keep up the exclusive game quality PS will continue to ve my console of choice.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
No. I'm too interested in PS exclusives. I'm not so much online player and almost all my friends plays on Playstation (and few on PC, but there still chances for PS/PC cross-play).

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Do not care for online at all, so this is a non issue for me.
But i think opening up crossplay benefits players since friends love to compete against each other (or coop) but not everyone has the same console.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody outside a small group of people would care. "Buy this new console so you can play your old games!" isn't a great selling point. People buy a new console to play new games. Backwards compatibility is a thing that's nice when it's there, but it's not going to stop the vast majority of people from buying if it's not. Maybe I'm forgetting that one console that bombed because it didn't have backwards compatibility like people were demanding.

You care enough to not buy a console over it, that's nice, but you're in the minority.
You think so? For starters, console launch windows are notorious for having horrible lineups.

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
As cool as cross platform play is, given that I don't actually play multiplayer games, it would be the least important factor in my deciding on which platform to buy next gen.

Now BC and the permenance of my purchases? THATS a big one.

Although I'd probably still get a PS5 for exclussives.

These really are much smaller issues than a handful of people on the internet make them out to be, even if I do find them lame as fuck and think Sony are being massive twats about it all.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimately I go where the games I want to play the most are.

I would love cross-play but it honeatly doesn't impact my life much at all.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
No, if they get real exclusives like Bloodborne again, I will consider getting PS5 still.

However, no chance will I play any non-Sony game on PS5... No way am I seeing my account locked/ruined because Sony needs to Sony. Though... It's not like I do anyway, my PS4 is strictly PS4 games for me, why would I play inferior version of the same game when I have a PC already?

Oh, I have no friends, so friend list isn't of concern here. :)

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
While I'll always complain and support idea of cross-play it doesn't specifically affect me nor do I see it as an issue I need to "vote with my wallet on" at this stage.

I get a Playstation for exclusives and in particular for SP centric titles. Thus cross-play isn't on my tick list at all in terms of my own needs from the console.

To be honest if this level of pressure and publicity maintains then I expect Sony to either fold before the end of the gen or to announce cross-play and BC with PS5 as part of their commitment to consumers and spin the current negative into a positive. That's unless it proves to have no impact on their sales and they continue to be a stubborn SOB about it. But I believe they'll cave at some point - presumably when perceived negative impact from the bad press outweighs whatever advantage they figure it gives them currently.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think so? For starters, console launch windows are notorious for having horrible lineups.
But then, Backwards Compatibility implies that you're already within the ecosystem of said platform. In other words, it's useless for someone who isn't in the same ecosystem the previous generation. XBox Two BC would be useless to someone like me because I don't have any XBox game in the first place, putting PS5 and XBox Two on the same footing (assuming that PS5 has indeed no BC).

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It's a shitty business practice, but I buy PlayStation for its exclusives, so unless they shut down half their studios, I don't see that changing.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really shitty thing, and I can't imagine why they're so adamant about sticking to their guns, but ultimately it just doesn't affect me. I don't play multiplayer games and I don't have PS+ so, y'know, what can I say? I buy Playstations because that's where so many of my favourite video game series are, and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I think a big thing people are neglecting is if the nature of games change going forward. That is, if the next gen lasts 6-8 years like the current one and if GaaS are the norm/best games in the generation, then it definitely will be impacted by a non-change by Sony.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
I hope that Sony does change some things for nextgen like BC, cross play etc. but will buy a ps5 regardless. Playstation is my main plattform since PS1 and although i own Microsoft and Nintendo consoles i dont't plan to change that.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about crossplay unless it's a measure to keep alive an otherwise dying community. Sure it's nice to have, but it won't effect buying decisions of future consoles for me.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, despite said horrible lineups and lack of backwards compatibility people still buy them at launch. A lot of them.
Well yeah, because they know big games will release on them in the future.

Once again, I think the backlash will be for 2 major reasons:
- the ability to play (no doubt) highly rated games like Fallout 76, RDR2, the latest CoS, and whatever else releases until 2020, along with previous generation titles, with all of the Xbox One X upgrades day 1 right out of the box will be a big selling point when the day 1 lineup will no doubt be slim for both consoles.
-people aren't dumb. There's only 2 reasons Sony wouldn't include backwards compatability in the ps5 (if the next Xbox has it). Either they couldn't figure it out, or they want to gouge their customers with more remasters of games they've already bought. This would look really bad. If something like Fortnite progress not crossing from PS4 to Switch can get this kind of backlash, blocking the compatability of old games for no reason other than greed would be worse.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Did not ever in my life purchased a console for cross-play. So no.
Picking up a PS5 for the same reason imma pick up a switch once the price drops, for the games/exclusives combined with the cost of entry.

Oct 27, 2017
Well...there you go and answered. It's psychology at work. Groupthink will never change. It's PS4lyfe. Sony could enact the same policies that MS attempted at the beginning of this gen and nothing would change. Nostalgia is a serious drug.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
But then, Backwards Compatibility implies that you're already within the ecosystem of said platform. In other words, it's useless for someone who isn't in the same ecosystem the previous generation. XBox Two BC would be useless to someone like me because I don't have any XBox game in the first place, putting PS5 and XBox Two on the same footing (assuming that PS5 has indeed no BC).
It would let people know where MS will stand in the future. Why would someone continue to pump money in digital and physical games on the Playstation platform knowing that Sony will have a completely unnecessary cut off every 7 years that's completely fueled by greed? At least when it comes to 3rd party

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Nah, idgaf really about crossplay with Xbox and Switch.

Well...there you go and answered. It's psychology at work. Groupthink will never change. It's PS4lyfe. Sony could enact the same policies that MS attempted at the beginning of this gen and nothing would change. Nostalgia is a serious drug.

You've gone off the deep end.
All people are saying is no cross play with other consoles is not enough to force them to leave the platform.

Not hard to understand yes, as a myriad of other issues go into buying a system.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Sony's attitude towards crossplay is less than ideal, but ultimately it's something I don't give one iota of a shit about. I buy PlayStation consoles for the healthy balance of robust third-party support and excellent exclusives, and as someone who plays mostly single-player games, whether I can compete against Switch/Xbox players or not is pretty damn low on my list of priorities.

I'm hoping to see Sony step it up in other departments in the future, namely backwards compatibility. That's where my main concern lies, as it's frankly baffling that you can't even play/buy PS1 Classics on the PS4. Crossplay is so low on my radar it's not even a blip.

and fortnite just plain sucks yo

Dewin

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I don't play MP games so i couldn't care less. I also think that a very loud but extremely small minority is making these noises.

sawatsu

Oct 29, 2017
Never. The only multiplat game I have on the PS4 is Fifa, everything else is on PC. Crossplay is an non-issue for me.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't even tell you how many ps1 games I played on ps2 (maybe one in the first couple of months and then never again). Once a new console comes out and you get new games I don't really see the appeal of getting to play the old games I've been playing for years already.

I think a really scummy practice is selling ports of old games for full price. Which Nintendo does all the time. But apparently that's fine.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
It's a dick move, cross-platform and cross-play should be allowed. But I won't change of console brand since I don't care about games made by competitors.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
It is a shitty practice, but i do not care about crossplay. Honestly i think people only care when it affects them. Same thing with everything in this world. Sony has also done so many things right and they did things wrong the same with Microsoft. It still is a company gamers need to remember that. And beside for Sony there stupid stance on crossplay and locking accounts i also find those justice crusaders annoying who dont even play Fortnite or have the console and use every negative news to burn Sony down.

KingBae

Oct 28, 2017
Not a big MP person myself, but I do sympathize with those who are affected by the issue. I will probably still go with Sony if they kept the same policies and have a decent new system with a decent price. #1 deal breaker would be no BC with the current PS4 library.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

What, as opposed to the 'groupthink' in the crossplay threads when the majority of posts come from MS/Nintendo main & Sony-averse posters?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

PS4 and Switch is my first console generation so nostalgia played zero role. Once again, it's about the games. Crossplay is ancillary.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never said this, thanks for twisting my argument though.

I enjoy gaming enough that, unlike you, I will probably continue to play games even with "always online" requirements. That being said, since I see always online as a negative, I will play on whatever platform gives me the most "positives" to counter act that.

For example, I play Fortnite on PS4, I've bought cosmetics and the most recent battlepass. I was excited to take my progression over to the Switch and play a portable version of the game with dual sticks. But, Sony blocked me from doing so. This means I'll never buy any Fortnite microtransactions on PSN ever again.

You said this:

If I'm expected to buy into microtransaction dlc in always online games running on servers that will eventually be shut off, I don't want those purchases to be restricted to specific platforms, I want those purchases to follow me wherever I play.

Hence I pointed out you are not being forced to buy anything. You say that it is expected that you buy microtransactions/DLC but the reality is that you don't have to. If Sony's first party starts resembling the types of games you describe above then for me it's simple, I don't buy their next console and go PC only.

You also said this:

Most of the people who say it doesn't effect them aren't thinking long term.

Maybe people have thought it through and have decided those are not the types of experiences they want?

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe. I have little fondness for Sony's first party lineup, but I don't play any of the crossplay games that are currently walled off for PS4 users. I bought a PS4 this gen because it was the de facto RPG/Fighter console, I first bought a 360 last gen and for similar reasons.

If anything, I'm more inclined to just get a gaming PC, those guys can play with everyone.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
No, not really. I get why people want cross play, and think Sony should reconsider, but I don't really care, It's such a miniscule issue compared to other things they could potentially fuck up with PS5.

Radokat

Oct 30, 2017
No, while cross platform is a nice thing to have I'll base my decision for a console mostly on the exclusives I'm interested in.
Backwards compatibility will also be a factor for me next gen.