• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

valentine

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I'm considering either purchasing a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X to compliment my 4K HDR TV and was wondering which you guys find best for strictly multiplatform titles? My friends for the most part are spread out equally on the two consoles, so that's not really a deciding factor.

For Xbox I do obviously like the higher specs and the Xbox controller. When considering the PS4 I do like knowing I'm playing on the console which is most popular, due to more players available for online gaming.

I'm torn between the two and again I'm not into exclusives for either system. Thanks!

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One X will most likely have the best technical version of multiplatform games going forward bar a few exceptions here and there

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If it's strictly multi-platform titles, it's hard to argue again the Xbox One X. That's the console's strongest selling point.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a straightforward answer.

Xbox X

Not just visuals, but load times, controller (Elite) and ofcourse network are all much better.

Deleted member 1185

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you say you arent into exclusives are you talking 3rd party or 1st party? PS4 still gets a lot of games Xbox doesn't.

If you really are only interested in games that are released on both systems its hard not to recommend X. In the vast majority of cases its going to look and run better and you get a lot of the great services MS has introduced like Backwards Compatibility and Game Pass.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
I have a PS4 Pro, but I have to agree with everyone else, XBX is a better buy if you can afford it.

CAVEAT: unless all or most of your friends are on PSN

As others have pointed out, you'll be taking a big risk on missing cool exclusives, but it sounds like that's a gamble you're willing to take

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an owner of both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, the answer is easy.

Xbox One X.

Goose Se7en

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's solely for 3rd party, multiplatform titles then I'd get the Xbox One X, I believe a plurality of multiplatform titles will look their best on that platform seeing as it's more powerful than Pro, has a bigger pool of memory etc .

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
The X has been great. Don't worry about install base. I've never had a problem with matchmaking in any game, and Xbox has a robust multiplayer community in general.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I have both and the Xbox One X is much better suited to take advantage of your 4K TV. It's my new multiplatform machine.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
My x has been amazing. Plus you get a 4k player. Impossible to beat that in your situation.

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
xb1x will almost always be best for multiplats, but exclusives are where both it and the pro really sing - don't expect 3rd parties to go to anything like the same lengths.

I'm not into exclusives for either system.
this I simply cannot fathom... I mean, the depth and breadth of titles over both systems is vast, to not be interested in a single exclusive seems bizarre.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The X has been great. Don't worry about install base. I've never had a problem with matchmaking in any game, and Xbox has a robust multiplayer community in general.

I second this. It's only on gaming forums that I've seen people even mention the idea that the console install base affects matchmaking. That theory seems to be based off of simple math rather than any real evidence.

One X is definitely the way to go here OP.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
X obviously. It's where I spend 90% of my gaming time these days. It's not just that the multiplats are better visually, but the console is also whisper quiet compared to my (ridiculously loud) Pro, and I much prefer the controller. Add in Game Pass and BC and it's just a fantastic console.

But I still could not live without Pro and Switch's exclusives. So getting all three is the only option I'm afraid, you better get saving :p
this I simply cannot fathom... I mean, the depth and breadth of titles over both systems is vast, to not be interested in a single exclusive seems bizarre.
I can understand it - if you're mostly in to FPS games for example then KZ:Shadowfall is utter shite and Halo isn't everyone's cup of tea. All of my friends mostly play EA/Activision/Bethesda titles.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Put an asterisk next to performance. Framerates in certain AAA online shooters are more consistent on Pro. A trend I hope is temporary.

Deleted member 3925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't care for the exclusives? At all? I don't understand that but you do you.

The Xbox One X is more powerful than the Pro, so go with that.

Randall365

Banned
Jan 23, 2018
I have the pro - get the X- the pro is not that well engineered - it is noisy when kicking out high res games and struggles to produce genuine 4k.

Still - find it hard to believe you don't want to check out spiderman, detroit and god of war though!

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox one X easily for multiplatform titles. Sony's got some great exclusives, but my X is now my multi plat machine, and with the incredible backwards compatibility I think it has the best overall library of the three current gen consoles. I do love Sony and Nintendo's exclusives though.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Assuming the price point isn't a deal-breaker, the answer for multi-plat titles is easily the 1X. In general, if someone has a new TV or just cares about performance tech as part of the hobby, it's a good buy with some of the game promos they have.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This shuld be a no Brainer, in addition to the extra power you can take advantage of EA access and gamepass on the 1X.

Also the 4k player is a nice way to show off your TV.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the X allows you to play tons of backwards compatible games too and those benefit from the faster console as well. For example, the X is the best place to play Red Dead Redemption. Likewise, some of the 360 games have been 'enhanced' too.

OP
OP
valentine

valentine

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Thanks fellas I guess the choice is clear. I was always leaning towards X1X but reading the internet always makes it seem like doom and gloom for Xbox lol.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This isn't even a question, Xbox. Literally the only thing going for the Pro is the exclusives, so for multiplats only it's a bonus brainer.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
You have to consider and prioritize: technology, social and other games.

If you want the best technology, such as graphics and performance than Xbox One X.

Otherwise, weigh the importance of where your friends are playing. Lastly, the overall catalog of games or experiences available.

Soulstoner

Oct 27, 2017
I shifted to the X after seeing what it offers above the Pro. Post release patches also corroborate this. Overwatch being the latest example.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks fellas I guess the choice is clear. I was always leaning towards X1X but reading the internet always makes it seem like doom and gloom for Xbox lol.

I think it's legitimately the best piece of hardware this generation. It's when you get beyond the box itself that you may encounter some issues (exclusives and whatnot), but I think that's beyond the scope of this thread as the focus is on multi-platform titles.