• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, not a good video player heh.

First, she talks about how important their relationship with Microsoft and Sony is. Then, she says that Microsoft and AMD share a vision about where cloud computing is going.

"We're working with both Sony and Microsoft on consoles, and they both have their specific secret sauce that we're helping them do"

Wait, I didn't notice the "specific" part. Does this mean the rumor about Navi being PS5-only could be true?

I don't think she's talking about current gen consoles because of the "secret sauce" part.
Yeah, I dunno. I personally interpreted it as work that has already been done e.g. RPM and [whatever the name of that thing that helps with the dynamic resolution upscaling stuff] for pro, and custom jaguar cores for X. Still though, could also reference future work as well

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
What new power cap?

Per Version 2.6 of the SRI (June 2018) the power caps for high definition consoles that go into effect on 1/1/2019 are 50W (Navigation Mode) and 60W (Media Playback Mode). Per Sony's 2017 Product Compliance Report Model CUH-2116A (introduced in July 2017) measured under 50W during Navigation Mode Testing, Media Playback DVD, Media Playback Blu-ray Disc, and Streaming HD.
Good find, 2017 compliance reports were published 2/2018 and Navigation mode dropped 15 watts from the 2016 tests and now comply. According to a summary, Clock and power gating was first introduced in 2016 which accounts for the 15 watt drop between the 2016 and 2017 PS4 Navigation power.

July 2017 was too late to have Tier 4 apply to 2017 but Tier 4 could have applied in 2018 so why the delay till 2019 for Tier 4 to apply? New console definitions and full UHD (4K) compliance coming in 2019?

The description for Game Consoles has changed from UHD Capable Console (2016) to UHD console (2017) with two new Console definitions; UHD Media Console and Gaming Console (SRI 2.6 2018).

If a new PS4 is the Tier 4 (2019) UHD media Console, it's UHD media power cap is now the same as the HD media cap which the 2017 PS4 could not offer and the Pro could not do. If the PS4 Pro is the gaming console it complies. 2017 XB1 S and XB1 X comply with Tier 4 (2019) power caps and they appear to be UHD Media (XB1 S) and Gaming Console (XB1 X). Again, there is no reason Tier 4 could not apply for 2018.

The above could again be Sony not supporting 4K on the PS4 but still calling it a UHD console because it supports up to 1080P + HDR which require HDCP 2.2 and UHD definitions only fully apply for Microsoft?

Edit: Or the 2017 PS4s are fully 4K compliant and the new SRI 2.6 and 2019 Tier 4 applies to it also. HDMI 2.0 port was available, AMD shipped their first VM security GPU in 2016.

It's getting a little late to not support UHD 4K on the PS4. Since Sony does not have a ARM TEE and uses the GPU for codecs they are limited to trusted boot which only supports up to 1080P media so even the Pro has issues supporting 4K media DRM. If a new PS4 CPU and GPU supports Infinity fabric Security and has a memory controller that supports the same then the PS4 can fully support 4K DRM. It's assumed a GDDR6 memory controller developed by AMD would support Infinity Fabric security.

Last edited:

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Can't believe she used the phrase "secret sauce "

The general idea for my dream PS5's secret sauce

SRXNlSl.png

4yBpdfu.png

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
For something like this, where might the RTX-style dedicated ray-tracing tech go? Assuming it'll still be needed/useful by then.
It's part of the GPU cores, whether they be called CUDA cores or whatever. Nvidia misled people and made it seem like a distinct chunk of silicon on die when it's really part of the repeated execution unit structure.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It's part of the GPU cores, whether they be called CUDA cores or whatever. Nvidia misled people and made it seem like a distinct chunk of silicon on die when it's really part of the repeated execution unit structure.

Oh, interesting. Yeah, I had also gotten the impression it was done kind of additional dedicated chip. Thanks for clearing it up.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
I think is better to think in terms of Streaming Multiprocessor as the repeated unit of a Nvidia GPU at least until the Pascal architecture. However, I'm not sure how the tensor cores and the RTX cores are clustered in the Turing architecture. If I have to guess I would say that they are also grouped within the various SM.

edit: yep, they are clustered in the new Turing SM: https://videocardz.com/77895/the-new-features-of-nvidia-turing-architecture

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think is better to think in terms of Streaming Multiprocessor as the repeated unit of a Nvidia GPU at least until the Pascal architecture. However, I'm not sure how the tensor cores and the RTX cores are clustered in the Turing architecture. If I have to guess I would say that they are also grouped within the various SM.
Yes, they're grouped by SM. I had forgotten about this tweet:

Here's a cool chart of GPU size (and process technology) over time. In general, we're getting more GPU performance because GPUs are getting bigger in addition to process improvements. It remains to be seen if this means bigger die are becoming more economical, but I'd say the explosion of GPUs for research and other price-insensitive applications has enabled this jump. That would be good news for consoles if bigger die are becoming more feasible.

1nlky813msl11.png

Last edited:

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
Interesting.
Crossing the Locuza tweet diagram and the videocardz block diagrams I would say that a Turing Streaming Multiprocessor can be described as a group of 4 "subcores" + a block of RTX cores.

Jul 6, 2018
Her actual statement is vague enough at she could be referring to the current consoles. I don't think she is, but the statement is vpague enough to excite people without confirming anything.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Her actual statement is vague enough at she could be referring to the current consoles. I don't think she is, but the statement is vpague enough to excite people without confirming anything.

Not really vague just choosing words carefully. She clearly states they are working with (present tense) Sony and Microsoft and each have their own secret sauce (custom) requirements.

It does confirm Microsoft definitely are AMD and Nvidia are off the table (odds of both AMD/NV in the same console? 5000/1 anyone?)

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
Of course she is talking about next gen. She also confirms the rumor that Microsoft is making an cloud console. Amazing news, thanks Lisa.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Oh I think most people, including myself, agree she is referring to future consoles. The last one AMD did was Xbox One X, released 10 months ago, and announced over 2 years ago (Project Scorpio @ E3 2016).

Jul 6, 2018
And like I said, I too think she is talking about next gen consoles, but "confirmed" is too strong a word. She left room for plausible deniability.

Lisa Su said:
We're working with both Sony and Microsoft on consoles, and they both have their specific secret sauce that we're helping them do. So...

And when she says that Mad Money's chyron says:

AMD Recently Developed Products That Power The Sony PlayStation 4 and Xbox One X Game Consoles

So...Mad Money's producers clearly didn't think she was referring to next gen consoles.

Two Words: Plausible Deniability

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Huh, that was pretty obvious from the start... No one would have bothered Glofail.

I have always wondered about where the SoCs in the consoles are made. There was a single report from around 6 months into this gen where Wccftech said GF were about to make the console chips but never could back that up as happening. I also remember Microsoft only confirming Xbox One S SoCs would be made at TSMC the remainder of the year (2016) implying another source like, I assume, GF. Again no confirmation the chips have been made anywhere other than TSMC?

Another thing I can't work out is a phrase imprinted on both PS4 and Xbox One SoCs; "Diffused in Taiwan, Made in Malaysia". If Taiwan refers to TSMC then who does Malaysia refer to? TSMC don't make chips in Malaysia, right? If someone can explain this phrase I'd love to hear it.

Feb 10, 2018
The secret sauces are probably to the extent of ps4/xbox and the secret sauce element I doubht will give much of a performance boost compared to equivilent PC hardware.
Will be interesting how they market them and if either company will return to the hyperbolic marketing of the past.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
And like I said, I too think she is talking about next gen consoles, but "confirmed" is too strong a word. She left room for plausible deniability.

And when she says that Mad Money's chyron says:

So...Mad Money's producers clearly didn't think she was referring to next gen consoles.

Two Words: Plausible Deniability
What kind of 'secret sauce' we had in this current generation consoles? she definitely is talking about next gen consoles.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
I have always wondered about where the SoCs in the consoles are made. There was a single report from around 6 months into this gen where Wccftech said GF were about to make the console chips but never could back that up as happening. I also remember Microsoft only confirming Xbox One S SoCs would be made at TSMC the remainder of the year (2016) implying another source like, I assume, GF. Again no confirmation the chips have been made anywhere other than TSMC?

Another thing I can't work out is a phrase imprinted on both PS4 and Xbox One SoCs; "Diffused in Taiwan, Made in Malaysia". If Taiwan refers to TSMC then who does Malaysia refer to? TSMC don't make chips in Malaysia, right? If someone can explain this phrase I'd love to hear it.

There is the problem... Wccf should be banned.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
Interesting.
Crossing the Locuza tweet diagram and the videocardz block diagrams I would say that a Turing Streaming Multiprocessor can be described as a group of 4 "subcores" + a block of RTX cores.
Correct, first I also thought that the RT-Core might be part of one Sub-Core like Tensor Cores but they are implemented per SM not per Sub-Core.

Yes. Samsung is the only other option, and AMD has never used them.
AMD said they could produce at Samsung if necessary:
"AMD has strong foundry partnerships and our primary manufacturing partners are GLOBALFOUNDRIES and TSMC. We have run some product at Samsung and we have the option of enabling production with Samsung if needed as part of the strategic collaboration agreement they have with GLOBALFOUNDRIES to deliver 14nm FinFET process technology capacity."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/patric...14nm-manufacturing-with-samsung/#57483dc14e99

I'm not sure if it could be proved that some dies where produced at Samsung's 14nm Fab in Austin Texas but people looked at their batching code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6scnlg/ryzen_reading_your_production_batch_number/

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Correct, first I also thought that the RT-Core might be part of one Sub-Core like Tensor Cores but they are implemented per SM not per Sub-Core.

AMD said they could produce at Samsung if necessary:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patric...14nm-manufacturing-with-samsung/#57483dc14e99

I'm not sure if it could be proved that some dies where produced at Samsung's 14nm Fab in Austin Texas but people looked at their batching code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6scnlg/ryzen_reading_your_production_batch_number/

Interesting, thanks for the info. It would have been easier then given the GloFo/Samsung technology sharing agreement.

Jul 6, 2018
What kind of 'secret sauce' we had in this current generation consoles? she definitely is talking about next gen consoles.
Again, "secret sauce" is vague. It could be anything: Extra L2 Cache for the Scorpio Engine or PS4 Pro's ID Buffer or some unknown next-gen sauce.

And again, I agree that Su is probably talking about next-gen consoles, but I do not agree that what she says "confirms" that AMD is working on next-gen consoles for both Sony and Microsoft. She is being intentionally vague.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Again, "secret sauce" is vague. It could be anything: Extra L2 Cache for the Scorpio Engine or PS4 Pro's ID Buffer or some unknown next-gen sauce.

And again, I agree that Su is probably talking about next-gen consoles, but I do not agree that what she says "confirms" that AMD is working on next-gen consoles for both Sony and Microsoft. She is being intentionally vague.

If the next-gen consoles are due anytime before 2022, they need to be doing more than just talking to Sony and MS.

Ergo, AMD having the contracts is the only possible answer as far as I'm concerned.

(TBH, imo it's a given regardless of the comments. I don't really know what we're questioning it at this point.)

Jul 6, 2018
What I am questioning it people watching Su's Mad Money interview and going "Confirmed! Confirmed!" The interview lacked any substance. It's just Su hinting at what we all suspect already.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
What I am questioning it people watching Su's Mad Money interview and going "Confirmed! Confirmed!" The interview lacked any substance. It's just Su hinting at what we all suspect already.
It's the fact that Su's usual guarded nature and refusal to talk about semi-custom wins was dispensed of. She deviated from established behavior, so vague references become a lot more impactful.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018

If the extra L2 cache for the scorpio engine or PS4 Pro's ID buffer could be secret sauce so PS4 Pro and it's Vega features like half-float operations (FP16) are the biggest secret sauces we've ever seen in console, right? imo, secret sauce should be something like discrete gpu or some kind of module to operate ray tracing etc.

Oct 25, 2017
If the extra L2 cache for the scorpio engine or PS4 Pro's ID buffer could be secret sauce so PS4 Pro and it's Vega features like half-float operations (FP16) are the biggest secret sauces we've ever seen in console, right? imo, secret sauce should be something like discrete gpu or some kind of module to operate ray tracing etc.
I think the whole ESRAM thing in XB1 would be the biggest, though not necessarily effective, secret sauce.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I think the days of true secret sauces are gone. The PS3 had an entire CPU architecture built for it (and Xenon was derived from it). The Sega Saturn had a Byzantine organization of chips in it. The N64's GPU may not have made it to market were it not for the console.ESRAM is essentially EDRAM Mach 2 from X360.

There may end up being a long list of customizations in PS5/XB2, but they're still largely going to be Navi and Zen 2.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Some new (?) info from reddit, nothing too special but might be interesting (also some stuff about 7nm/CPU/GPU at the link):

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/9frgvu/amd_cfo_devinder_kumar_presents_at_2018_deutsche/

Going back to 2012, 2013 timeframes, we've had predictably somewhere between $1.5 billion to $2 billion of revenues coming from the game console business, both Sony and Microsoft and that has allowed us to invest in exactly the roadmap that is delivering right now. We like that business a lot. We are competing for the next generation product. But Sony and Microsoft have to make their decisions and then taken we'll take it from there. But we like it a lot from an overall standpoint.

The way he phrases that makes it sound like neither Sony nor Microsoft have decided yet on going with AMD for next-gen consoles. But of course there have been many instances where companies have publicly said similar things, and behind the scenes, work was already in full progress or even complete. I think there can be several interpretations / explanations for his statement, and I guess as a publicly traded company, it's always some kind of balancing act between keeping confidential information secret and informing their investors.

Last edited:

Mature

Oct 25, 2017
So I just joined the combo and voted. What I'm actually surprised is at the amount of votes 2020 gets. If you don't mind me asking but what makes you think that 2020 is the year of the next gen?

I voted H1 2021. It just feels a more round date seeing how PS4 still piling on the money

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
So I just joined the combo and voted. What I'm actually surprised is at the amount of votes 2020 gets. If you don't mind me asking but what makes you think that 2020 is the year of the next gen?

I voted H1 2021. It just feels a more round date seeing how PS4 still piling on the money
H2 2022 feels like an even more round date, it has 3 2's.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Some new (?) info from reddit, nothing too special but might be interesting (also some stuff about 7nm/CPU/GPU at the link):

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/9frgvu/amd_cfo_devinder_kumar_presents_at_2018_deutsche/

The way he phrases that makes it sound like neither Sony nor Microsoft have decided yet on going with AMD for next-gen consoles. But of course there have been many instances where companies have publicly said similar things, and behind the scenes, work was already in full progress or even complete. I think there can be several interpretations / explanations for his statement, and I guess as a publicly traded company, it's always some kind of balancing act between keeping confidential information secret and informing their investors.

Oh come on :) If this was said few years ago-then yes,otherwise i can't take it seriously.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Interesting alternative to what Su stated on Cramer's show.

I think it's quite possible that either Sony or MS could compete the design in the architecure phase. Maybe AMD will call it a win when the product hits tapeout and there's a commitment to buy test and production masks (a several million dollar inflection point in the design and fabrication process).

Obviously they can't tapeout yet because Navi may not even have taped out yet, but Zen 2 has been described as "design complete."

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I can't see how anyone could take his (understandable) non-answer as meaning they haven't even signed a contract with Sony/MS to design the chips.

The designs of these chips, assuming most here believe these consoles will release in 2020, are very close to or already complete never mind contracts being signed!

Matt , if you are reading this thread could you impart your wisdom on the timeline of these things once and for all?