When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 30, 2017
If PS5 (and NG X2) aren't shown at E3 2019, it's going to be fascinating to see them both get overshadowed by all the third-party NG reveals and teases...

I doubt many games will be next gen only teases. For example I bet Rocksteadys next game will be revealed and be current gen. Same with the next Mortal Kombat. There will be plenty of games that will be cross gen. Developers are not going to leave the large user base behind. Games like Elder Scrolls next gen tease don't mean shit as it's years off anyways probably won't make launch.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It seems a stretch to connect 4K TV adoption to Pro shortages. They could easily increase capacity if they wanted to. They're launching what is sure to be the year's number 1 game in a bundle with it, after all.

The fact of the matter is that MS is in no better position. They're less likely to launch until 2020 given the X's launch, and none of their new studio acquisitions are ready to contribute yet.

I'm not connecting to the 4k tv adoption by itself but the mix of all things considered especially popular IPs as Spider-Man

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 (and NG X2) aren't shown at E3 2019, it's going to be fascinating to see them both get overshadowed by all the third-party NG reveals and teases...
Third party NG reveals for PC? It's for this reason that I believe people are overblowing the software issue. NG games are being devved with or without NG devkits. Also, lol at people referring to "middleware". Haven't heard that term in a long time.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017

Discussing PS5 and Death Stranding launch in 2020.

Hm... what's this?

cerny2jmcsj.jpg

Edit: Ok that was bad lol

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
This doesn't sound like they want to slowly ride it out. And if you think about it, if Sony manages to launch 12 months before Microsoft, they have already won next-gen. 100%. They would have a 15-20 Mio lead, and thanks to the rise of digital libraries, users will be tied to the Playstation ecosystem like never before. This is an almost historic chance, so what could be worth it to give this up?

Exactly!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
E3 2019
- Death Steanding Gameplay
- Last of Us 2 Gameplay
- Ghost of Tsushima Gameplay
- Dreams Gameplay (if it doesn't release before E3)
- Medievil Remake Gameplay
- Sly Thieves in Time 4K Remastered
- Puppeteer 4K Remastered
- Demon Souls Remake Announced (Bluepoint)
- Spiderman Expansion Announced
- Ratchet 2 Accounced
- A bunch of 3rd party games (revealed)

No need for PS5 games

Putting aside some of the baseless remaster and new game guessing, this would be pretty blah just as an E3 conference, and even worse if it was all Sony had for the year.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Putting aside some of the baseless remaster and new game guessing, this would be pretty blah just as an E3 conference, and even worse if it was all Sony had for the year.

Hey this is basically 2018 all over again but with some new things.. Move along.. Also Spider-Man extra expansion ain't happening sorry.

Would love to see Ratchet and Clank 2 remake since the 2016 one sold very well for an Insomniac game

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
You are assuming there will be disgruntled 1X owners, which I dont think there will be many at all, they can trade or sell and get a scarlett for a couple hundred bucks
Plus from MS perspective having the PS5 getting a lead would be a far bigger problem.

Also I dont why know why 2 years is so much worse then 3yrs that the ps4 pro will be if ps5 comes in 2019.

The problem is that X was released a year ago at £450 and Pro was released at £350 2 years ago. The gap from Pro to PS5 will also be bigger than X2. The value proposition for Sony is much better and the news of PS5 less of a hit on it's consumers vs Xbox. IMHO

Personally I found it quite disrespectful of MS to mention the next gen so soon after releasing the X but there you go.

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Oh, I have zero doubt that R&C 2 is coming, as Sony and Insomniac do not have a track record of hating money.

You can't say no to Insomniac after the ratchet remake and spider man sales tbh.. I would love to see a Resistance reboot with a multiplayer in the style of MAG...

Loved MAG when it came out on the PS3... Either that or a reboot of SOCOM with 3rd person gameplay a la Rainbow Six

The problem is that X was released a year ago at £450 and Pro was released at £350 2 years ago. The gap from Pro to PS5 will also be bigger than X2. The value proposition for Sony is much better and the news of PS5 less of a hit on it's consumers vs Xbox. IMHO

Personally I found it quite disrespectful of MS to mention the next gen so soon after releasing the X but there you go.

Yes! This exactly, there are so many casual users upgrading this year for the X as well and you really don't wanna piss those off so you gotta at least take X for a cross-gen for 2 years including the next Halo, Forza and Gears (which btw these 3 new games I think it'll be Xbox's cross gen titles)

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
The biggest game of E3 2018 which overshadowed everything else was Cyberpunk, a next-gen game, unless you think the footage shown could be done on current gen, or that anyone is going to care about the no doubt much less impressive base PS4/Xbox One versions.

I'm just saying it isn't that unlikely that next-gen games might be the talk of E3 2019 without any console hardware reveals, which might work well for both platform-holders actually, as they wink away at their audiences, but could also make their own reveals seem weak in comparison. They may not care about that either, ultimately.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Discussing PS5 and Death Stranding launch in 2020.

Discussing how Death Stranding IS the PS5.

The biggest game of E3 2018 which overshadowed everything else was Cyberpunk, a next-gen game, unless you think the footage shown could be done on current gen, or that anyone is going to care about the no doubt much less impressive base PS4/Xbox One versions.

I'm just saying it isn't that unlikely that next-gen games might be the talk of E3 2019 without any console hardware reveals, which might work well for both platform-holders actually, as they wink away at their audiences, but could also make their own reveals seem weak in comparison. They may not care about that either, ultimately.

While I'm fairly confident that Cyberpunk will be a next-gen showcase game, it's also confirmed for current gen consoles isn't it?

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
You can't say no to Insomniac after the ratchet remake and spider man sales tbh.. I would love to see a Resistance reboot with a multiplayer in the style of MAG...

Loved MAG when it came out on the PS3... Either that or a reboot of SOCOM with 3rd person gameplay a la Rainbow Six

Yes! This exactly, there are so many casual users upgrading this year for the X as well and you really don't wanna piss those off so you gotta at least take X for a cross-gen for 2 years including the next Halo, Forza and Gears (which btw these 3 new games I think it'll be Xbox's cross gen titles)

I need resistance with a fully fleshed out co-op mode. R2's co-op was amazing

TheRaidenPT

Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
I need resistance with a fully fleshed out co-op mode. R2's co-op was amazing

That's literally a must if a reboot does come along.

But I want them to keep the atmosphere of the first game, it was simply on point especially the art style.. Can't say the same about the sequels.. The first resistance was simply amazing and it's my favorite game from Insomniac even thou spider man is up there right next to it.

Since we talking about reboots it's about time Shawn allows Bend to reboot #SyphonFilterweneedit ever since MGS and Splinter Cell went MIA we need our stealth fix

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I never got to play MAG, but I could see an all-out MAG 2 as a PS5 exclusive. Resistance MAG would be sweet too, though it makes me think - what about MAG: PlayStation All-Stars? A 100-250-player MAG/Battle Royale multiplayer shooter, with both first and third person modes starring loads of Sony's characters, with their own abilities? Get in heroes and villains from Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance, Horizon... you could even have Kratos, with massive up-close damage balanced by a lack of ranged attacks.

Hell , have a few Gran Turismo cars, with the sole attack of running you the fuck down. :D

Oct 30, 2017

I personally think it would be a decent lineup. Something like a Demons souls remake with full current gen graphics people will talk. Sequel to Ratchet isn't something that is surprising and it's not out of the ordinary for Sony to continue to support and announce new games for a system late in the generation. We have had so many expansions like Lost Legacy and Frozen Wilds I wouldn't be shocked if Insomniac want to have a new story in the world of Spiderman especially after they created that massive open world already.

Finally you seem to down play more gameplay footage of currently announced games like Death Steanding, ghost of Tsushima, and Last of Us 2.

If we had a E3 like I have mentioned it would actually beat out alotnif stuff we had in the past. Let's not forget new 3rd party reveals, Mortal Kombat 11? Rocksteadys new DC game? And etc.

You say we don't have enough content for an E3 I disagree. Also it's not just about teasing new shit Sony has enough big releases for PS4 to get them by until fall 2020 between their first party and 3rd party games.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Agreed, I don't think it makes much sense for them to wait until their sales slow down and Microsoft can catch up. Then there is also this sentence in one of their job ads:

This doesn't sound like they want to slowly ride it out. And if you think about it, if Sony manages to launch 12 months before Microsoft, they have already won next-gen. 100%. They would have a 15-20 Mio lead, and thanks to the rise of digital libraries, users will be tied to the Playstation ecosystem like never before. This is an almost historic chance, so what could be worth it to give this up?
What else are they going to say? "We've had too much success. Time to slow down. Parity 2020."?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

Why would the delta be smaller? Perhaps MS releases a little later and with better specs that the PS5?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I personally think it would be a decent lineup. Something like a Demons souls remake with full current gen graphics people will talk. Sequel to Ratchet isn't something that is surprising and it's not out of the ordinary for Sony to continue to support and announce new games for a system late in the generation. We have had so many expansions like Lost Legacy and Frozen Wilds I wouldn't be shocked if Insomniac want to have a new story in the world of Spiderman especially after they created that massive open world already.

Finally you seem to down play more gameplay footage of currently announced games like Death Steanding, ghost of Tsushima, and Last of Us 2.

If we had a E3 like I have mentioned it would actually beat out alotnif stuff we had in the past. Let's not forget new 3rd party reveals, Mortal Kombat 11? Rocksteadys new DC game? And etc.

You say we don't have enough content for an E3 I disagree. Also it's not just about teasing new shit Sony has enough big releases for PS4 to get them by until fall 2020 between their first party and 3rd party games.

It would be 'decent', but after a couple of E3s with no major first-party announcements, Sony needs better than 'decent'. A show of remasters, remakes, expansions and gameplay footage of games we've already seen plenty of footage of and are impatiently waiting to actually play wouldn't bring hype, it would just make people say "This is getting beyond a joke". Especially if, as I said, this was all they had for the year and not just E3.

Maybe if it included a confirmation of FFVIIR Part 1 coming holiday 2019 with 1-year PlayStation exclusivity.

Feb 10, 2018
Or 1X is forward compatible. Basically having the jump from One --> One X --> Scarlet with the normal One phasing out of support for certain games.

I like this idea but many here have put up a good argument that this will not happen because of the 1Xs small install base.

Which I counter with by saying that if by the the time scarlett launches the 1X has sold 10 million, that 10 million is still quite beneficial at the start of the gen.
Also devs could scale a game between the 1X and scarlett without sacrificing to much on the scarlett version.

Games the first year or two dont use the full potiential of the system anyway.

Oct 30, 2017
It would be 'decent', but after a couple of E3s with no major first-party announcements, Sony needs better than 'decent'. A show of remasters, remakes, expansions and gameplay footage of games we've already seen plenty of footage of and are impatiently waiting to actually play wouldn't bring hype, it would just make people say "This is getting beyond a joke". Especially if, as I said, this was all they had for the year and not just E3.

Maybe if it included a confirmation of FFVIIR Part 1 coming holiday 2019 with 1-year PlayStation exclusivity.

Why do they need it are sales slowing down for PS4?

I though Spiderman and God of War sold alot.

Maybe Sony feels like they want to save announcements for PS5 in PS Meeting 2020.

Isn't Ratchet 2, Demons Souls Remake not enough as well as more details of AAA games like Last of Us 2 which are likely to be successful games. Why exclude first time reveals of Rocksteadys game or Mortal Kombat just because they are not exclusives. Have in 1 or 2 years where they don't go ball out revealing shit won't really do much damage to them. Didn't Sony have reveals before where they showed stuff way too much in advance making future conferences worse. No company can simply have a ton of games to announce so many E3s in a row.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017

I think they're going to take this one last L at E3 before going all out in 2020

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Why would the delta be smaller? Perhaps MS releases a little later and with better specs that the PS5?

To clarify, I meant the gap Pro to PS5 (around 2.5-3x) will be bigger than the gap X to X2 (around 2x) (most likely anyway - and certainly if we're expecting similar launch windows and price-points!)

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like this idea but many here have put up a good argument that this will not happen because of the 1Xs small install base.

Which I counter with by saying that if by the the time scarlett launches the 1X has sold 10 million, that 10 million is still quite beneficial at the start of the gen.
Also devs could scale a game between the 1X and scarlett without sacrificing to much on the scarlett version.

I'll stand by my prediction that the One X, while a fantastic console to end this gen on, will be irrelevant next-gen. I see Microsoft having the normal cross-gen period, but then relying on their game streaming service to make the One S/X forward compatible.

I saw this as a proud One X owner who has been in this scenario with Microsoft before. Xbox 360 "Elite"? A nice console for the hardcore that was discontinued. Xbox One "Elite"? A great console with a hybrid hard drive that was discontinued after NXOE hit. Microsoft is no stranger to releasing "premium" hardware that doesn't get to live a full life. In this case, streaming will at least help make the death of the One X sting a bit less.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

You could also say thanks to hardware and Engines \APIs being easier than ever before to port stuff .
That games going to be using the hardware much faster next gen .

Feb 10, 2018
I'll stand by my prediction that the One X, while a fantastic console to end this gen on, will be irrelevant next-gen. I see Microsoft having the normal cross-gen period, but then relying on their game streaming service to make the One S/X forward compatible.

I saw this as a proud One X owner who has been in this scenario with Microsoft before. Xbox 360 "Elite"? A nice console for the hardcore that was discontinued. Xbox One "Elite"? A great console with a hybrid hard drive that was discontinued after NXOE hit. Microsoft is no stranger to releasing "premium" hardware that doesn't get to live a full life. In this case, streaming will at least help make the death of the One X sting a bit less.

Being able to stream scarlett games on the x1/1x makes a lot of sence, they are already doing streaming and then dont have the hassle of having to port to the 1X.

Deleted member 25042

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I also think X is irrelevant when it comes to next gen consoles.
It's a niche product aimed at those who want a premium experience out of their Xbox One games, nothing more (same with Sony and the Pro).
X owners should have known what to expect when buying it.

Oct 26, 2017
Ōkami said:
While I'm fairly confident that Cyberpunk will be a next-gen showcase game, it's also confirmed for current gen consoles isn't it?
It is, and possibly coming out before next gen consoles do by the way the global publishers are announced already. Good candidate for an implanted edition later.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is, and possibly coming out before next gen consoles do by the way the global publishers are announced already. Good candidate for an implanted edition later.

Most definitely! Hasn't CDPR mentioned a few times that they're working on "next-gen" tech? I can imagine that Cyberpunk is built on tech that will scale well to better hardware. I think that's also an area where Sony's first party studios have done really well at the end of this gen.

Horizon, Spider-Man, God of War, TLOU Part II. All examples of games built on tech that seems to push the limits of PS4, while also offering more opportunity for better hardware. It should go a long way towards getting sequels and new games released sooner on PS5.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Why do they need it are sales slowing down for PS4?

I though Spiderman and God of War sold alot.

Maybe Sony feels like they want to save announcements for PS5 in PS Meeting 2020.

Isn't Ratchet 2, Demons Souls Remake not enough as well as more details of AAA games like Last of Us 2 which are likely to be successful games. Why exclude first time reveals of Rocksteadys game or Mortal Kombat just because they are not exclusives. Have in 1 or 2 years where they don't go ball out revealing shit won't really do much damage to them. Didn't Sony have reveals before where they showed stuff way too much in advance making future conferences worse. No company can simply have a ton of games to announce so many E3s in a row.

I think they're going to take this one last L at E3 before going all out in 2020

This is all possible, sure. I just think PS5 in 2019 would be better.

Also, I feel like if stuff like the DS or Ratchet 2 remakes were actually coming, Sony wouldn't have cancelled PSX. That cancellation tells me that there is not much to show. Could be wrong, but if they had all this stuff to show I think they would've held PSX and down at least a bit of it there. This is what I mean when I say that E3 is not the whole conversation here.

Oct 30, 2017
This is all possible, sure. I just think PS5 in 2019 would be better.

Also, I feel like if stuff like the DS or Ratchet 2 remakes were actually coming, Sony wouldn't have cancelled PSX. That cancellation tells me that there is not much to show. Could be wrong, but if they had all this stuff to show I think they would've held PSX and down at least a bit of it there. This is what I mean when I say that E3 is not the whole conversation here.

Maybe they canceled PSX so they have more stuff to show at E3

Oct 30, 2017
Well just cause they cancelled PSX doesn't mean they can't announced new stuff at E3 for PS4. I'm still expecting Ratchet 2 and some other surprises.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I also think X is irrelevant when it comes to next gen consoles.
It's a niche product aimed at those who want a premium experience out of their Xbox One games, nothing more (same with Sony and the Pro).
X owners should have known what to expect when buying it.

The problem is if the core fans (early adopters) keep getting burnt. For example;
1) Kinect 2 was forced upon the early adopters then dropped
2) The machine cost more than the more powerful PS4 meaning the fans suffer the weakest versions of games
3) MS release the X1s which gives a minor performance boost so that core upgrade
3) A year later MS release 'the worlds most powerful console' to appease their fans - again hardcore upgrade
4) Less than a year after the launch of X they are talking about their next console
5) 2 years later they release next gen (potentially 1 year later if people truly believe MS would launch with Sony if PS5 was 2019!)
6) That console launches meaning the core fans have purchased potentially 4 consoles in around 7 years

I do get what you are saying, but it's a fine line to walk...and each console have been significantly more than the PS4 equivalent, assuming X2 is $500 that's ~$1780 over the 4 consoles vs the $1200 of the same upgrade journey on PS.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it though...I just don't think it should be totally ignored, I for one would not be happy to have a bi-annual upgrade-a-thon.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Does anyone think that Kojima would sign a exclusive long term deal with SOny for the forseeable future of other projects? Or would Sony maybe acquire them? Since their relationship is so close?

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Don't get the want for a split controller. I have 4 joypads for the PS4, why would I want 4 sets of VR controllers? You're never going to need more then one set. If you're dropping hundreds of notes on a VR HMD they can throw in a controller. Don't half ass both use cases just to make a universal controller.

I agree. If they're going to make brand new VR controllers for PSVR2 then make proper VR controllers instead.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Does anyone think that Kojima would sign a exclusive long term deal with SOny for the forseeable future of other projects? Or would Sony maybe acquire them? Since their relationship is so close?

It's certainly possible. Kojima didn't make Death Stranding a PlayStation exclusive for the lulz after all. I don't know if Sony would necessarily buy them, but it seems more likely than with most studios.