• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Well, there it is... Straight from the horse's mouth.

That is Mithun Chandrasekhar, AMD lead product manager, speaking in the video.

Some people doubted below article's credibility (myself included). Now it should be pretty clear.
www.techquila.co.in

AMD Ray Tracing Will Arrive "When The Time is Right" - Next-Gen Raytracing Addressed

AMD has said in a recent briefing that raytracing will arrive on their cards "when the time is right". Here's what that means.

EDIT: cc SlipperyFishes, Kreten

RG0BS1U.gif

RDNA2 == Hardware Raytracing
PS5 == Hardware Raytracing

PS5 == RDNA2

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some people doubted below article's credibility (myself included). Now it should be pretty clear.
www.techquila.co.in

AMD Ray Tracing Will Arrive "When The Time is Right" - Next-Gen Raytracing Addressed

AMD has said in a recent briefing that raytracing will arrive on their cards "when the time is right". Here's what that means.

a) oh good, finally.

b) I can't believe this is still a fucking thing to argue about.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

www.techquila.co.in

Well, there it is! :-)

"both are going to be powered by Radeon, and both of them support hardware raytracing, natively"

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

www.techquila.co.in

Awesome find!

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

www.techquila.co.in

He's probably a liar just like Cerny ;)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

www.techquila.co.in

God damn, nice find.

Born consoles support ray tracing natively....

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

www.techquila.co.in

Nice.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017

www.techquila.co.in

Sounds like confirmation of rdna 2.0 for big systems.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure what you're saying?

Listen to the video.

"Lisa's very clearly mentioned, that RDNA2, which is the next-gen, will actually support ray-tracing in the hardware. ...
[...]

Both the next-gen Xbox, as well as the next-gen PlayStation, both of them are going be powered by Radeon, and both of them support hardware raytracing, natively."

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
So with confirmation that both will run on RDNA 2.0, does this squash the 9.2 teraflops rumors for PS5? Or is that still up in the air.

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Feels likely that PS5 is RDNA 2 for the simple reason the XsX is, this video is hardly smoking gun confirmation though.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Listen to the video.

"Lisa's very clearly mentioned, that RDNA2, which is the next-gen, will actually support ray-tracing in the hardware. ...
[...]

Both the next-gen Xbox, as well as the next-gen PlayStation, both of them are going be powered by Radeon, and both of them support hardware raytracing, natively."
I was kidding. It was pretty clear what was being said.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Both powered by Radeon = both APUs by AMD

both support HW RT != both use AMD RT hardware

probably, but those that suggested eg a powerVR solution embedded on chip would technically still be HW RT but not AMD RT. Therefore can't be conclusive RDNA2

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Coming back in here, seeing the last pages and we are in OT9/OT10 again.
I support DrKeo in all what he said.
And he is in good company because the journalists that actually have technology expertise (Digital Foundry) are basing their expectations on the same leak as DrKeo does!

Github
❤️

He said one lead artist. And lead artist or technical artist and they need to know because you will need to know how much(texture, polygones and so on) you can push inside the pipeline.
weeks? no. just three days.

he actually replied to me when i pointed out he said bingo to the math, not the CU count.

My post: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...r-see-staff-post.159131/page-75#post-27483765
Klee's reply: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ark-tower-see-staff-post.159131/post-27484006

Klee has been nothing but open about everything. he has given us detailed impressions of the game he saw. he has literally quoted the conversations he had with his source regarding double digit tflops. he went into almost dangerous level of detail when recounting his trip to california. he has given us our name, his credentials and has been vetted by with two different ADMINS on this board. Sure they cant verify his info but he has shared that info with them.

no one has been this open about the info and their sources. not even tom warren or jason.
If Klee's source is a lead and his 64 CU thing was a joke/trolling then I stand corrected.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying in any shape or form that any of the big insiders are lying. It's actually the opposite, this whole discussion started when I said that even if the PS5 is 9.2TF, Klee didn't. What I will say is that I'll take cold hard numbers leak which is proven to be legitimate, like Github, over any insider, especially when data and numbers are not provided.

I will also add again that the funniest result will be 10.2TF.

Lets shake this up a little bit more - I just saw FIFA 21 running on next gen consoles, it looks great!
Did Ronaldo's face looked like it was rendered using 9.2TF or 13.8TF?

JK. What I really want to know is did the game use the new Frostbite hair strand tech😬

Like, how many days/months/years would it take to design a console and how close to release can you change the gpu without messing up the plan?
Both Sony and MS knew what their consoles are going to be back in 2017 or even before that, around the end of 2018 was the point of no return before changing the die would become "oh shit, this is going to cost millions and cause a delay". Easier changes like clocks or RAM chip size could still be upgraded today but that window is closing too.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Seems to be indicating native RDNA 2.0 architecture, which we had not heard before.

It seems to be a stretch of what was explicitly said IMO. I think the use of the generic 'Radeon' there was pointedly because, at that point, the exact specifics were unconfirmed for both consoles at that point.

I mean I don't think it really matters as long as both are 'feature complete' wrt each other in key features, but that's not quite the confirmation of the type of RDNA in PS5 that I think some are reading it as. It may yet be a custom Radeon that doesn't fall neatly along rdna1/2 generational lines, his comment leaves that open. It's certainly another confirmation that it at least isn't simply RDNA1 as likes to be argued in some circles, but we already knew that.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Still, the source for the whole clip is in the link. Was uploaded to YouTube Jan 7 of this year.

How did we miss this....?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Klee say lockhart wasn't a thing and there would be a feb event?

business vs development

if he spoke to a dev contact and saw game footage - more likely to have access to specs and data.

Marketing event wouldn't be necessarily known by the dev unless they were explicitly working on a demo timeline for such an event

MS second sku is perfectly possible not to have been communicated to third parties yet

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Both Sony and MS knew what their consoles are going to be back in 2017 or even before that, around the end of 2018 was the point of no return before changing the die would become "oh shit, this is going to cost millions and cause a delay". Easier changes like clocks or RAM chip size could still be upgraded today but that window is closing too.
Do you believe Sony knew MS was going for 12 TF's back in 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.