• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Are we sure that flickering is the only reason and that this is not Sony's response to auto HDR :) ?

1) They would have announced this.

2) It looks horrible so it's a terrible job if this was intentional.

I'm not sold on auto HDR yet but it's using machine learning to map colors I'm SDR games to HDR, and it's not the entire UX running this way

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
If you and others think the SDR image is OK even when forced in HDR, that's totally fine. It's your own personal preference. Nobody is arguing with that. For example I know people who set their TVs to that awful store demo/vivid profile because they like the saturation and colors being "pounchy".

I have a CX and I do not worry, I just don't like what I am looking at on the screen. Manually toggling HDR system wide on and off is not an acceptable option.

The problem is that what Sony is doing the the image if objectively wrong especially when it doesn't provide an option to revert back to the way PS4 were handling this.
Weirdly condescending and antagonistic response to me saying they should patch in a match dynamic range option, but ok.

Oct 28, 2017
Weirdly condescending and antagonistic response to me saying they should patch in a match dynamic range option, but ok.

I agree with him 100%, system wide HDR even though they have SDR in the container toned mapped does not work, all we're asking for is auto switching for HDR/SDR content like how it worked on the PS4/Pro, we just want the ability to correctly calibrate our content.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I agree with him 100%, system wide HDR even though they have SDR in the container toned mapped does not work, all we're asking for is auto switching for HDR/SDR content like how it worked on the PS4/Pro, we just want the ability to correctly calibrate our content.
But that's exactly what I mean by a "match dynamic range" option. SDR output for SDR content, HDR output for HDR content. Like it is on Apple TV.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry, there was no intention of being condescending or antagonistic. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is not a matter of preferences of settings. What Sony did is objectively wrong regardless of the TV being used or the fact that some people are ok with it or don't notice the difference.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is there an easy way to know on PS5 whether a game has HDR or not? Obviously the big AAA games advertise it, but how do you know for smaller titles?

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure that flickering is the only reason and that this is not Sony's response to auto HDR :) ?

I don't know at this point. Has there been any official statement about it? The cynic side of me thinks that is some sort "we have it too" response to MS auto HDR for some BC content, just implemented very poorly.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Sorry, there was no intention of being condescending or antagonistic. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is not a matter of preferences of settings. What Sony did is objectively wrong regardless of the TV being used or the fact that some people are ok with it or don't notice the difference.
Good to know! Tone often doesn't come across properly online.

I agree that it absolutely needs to be be an on/off/match setting. Apple TV is a good example of this. But *personally* the current set up look alright to me.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Good to know! Tone often doesn't come across properly online.

I agree that it absolutely needs to be be an on/off/match setting. Apple TV is a good example of this. But *personally* the current set up look alright to me.

Exactly. I like the PS5 and what it is capable of doing, but some of Sony decisions are rubbing me the wrong way, like the removal of folders in the UI, lack of VRR at launch, the coil whining issue and now this. Anyway I'll stop ranting for real and hope things get patched.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
I'm glad this thread has kept some momentum. Not sure if Sony people lurk here but I imagine it's something they've gotten feedback on. Still hoping for a change in a software update soon.
To be more specific, I'm not asking for the current behavior to go away. I'm simply asking for a new, separate option for those of us that want proper switching between SDR and HDR. I don't know why anyone would be against this. You can keep things as is, if you like that, or you can move to a format switching option if you want that. More options, not fewer.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
i wonder if something like bugsnax has HDR on ps4. if it doesn't, would playing it on ps5 with HDR disabled be the correct course of action? it will be confusing for indie games on ps5 that typically don't get HDR.

I heard back from the Devs about this game. No native HDR support.

Is there an easy way to know on PS5 whether a game has HDR or not? Obviously the big AAA games advertise it, but how do you know for smaller titles?

Nope, such as above

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, just had to wrestle with my C9 and PS5 as I'm heading towards some PS4 plats and man, I tried dialling it in with HDR mode and it wasn't having it, so just switched it to SDR, re setup all my picture settings and it looks great again now. I really hope they fix this soon.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
HDTV Test (Vincent) just did a video going over all the PS5 video settings. He says if there's enough interest he'll do a full video showcasing the issues with displaying SDR content within HDR signals.

He also makes an important note that the system does automatically switch to SDR mode only in the BD movie app. So SDR content on discs will play fine in SDR, but all other SDR content (video streaming & gaming) is tone mapped.

5m30sec mark

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
HDTV Test (Vincent) just did a video going over all the PS5 video settings. He says if there's enough interest he'll do a full video showcasing the issues with displaying SDR content within HDR signals.

He also makes an important note that the system does automatically switch to SDR mode only in the BD movie app. So SDR content on discs will play fine in SDR, but all other SDR content (video streaming & gaming) is tone mapped.

5m30sec mark

Glad we finally have an expert weighing in so that all the naysayers can see that, yes, this is an actual issue. Again, not that there was ever any doubt.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018

5m30sec mark

Just finished the video. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I swear folks in the past complained that when leaving PlayStation rgb range to auto and their lg tv to auto that there were weird hiccups and sometimes PlayStation would send high and tv would send low.

Is it bad to have ps5 set to limited and TV set to low? Am I missing out on anything? I know Vincent said to leave both at auto but I'm worried about that those cases where either the tv or the console screws up what output to send.

Dec 15, 2017
I hated the constant switching the PS4 Pro did, so I was convinced I wanted this, but this thread makes a compelling argument why it's necessary not to.

Tough call, so they should give the option imo. Auto switching sdr/hdr or constant hdr. Just give people options.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Just finished the video. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I swear folks in the past complained that when leaving PlayStation rgb range to auto and their lg tv to auto that there were weird hiccups and sometimes PlayStation would send high and tv would send low.

Is it bad to have ps5 set to limited and TV set to low? Am I missing out on anything? I know Vincent said to leave both at auto but I'm worried about that those cases where either the tv or the console screws up what output to send.
Since he didn't mention a problem with a low/low match it seems the implication is that IF you want to use a full-range signal at all then leave it to auto. If you want to use a limited signal then you're all good.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Since he didn't mention a problem with a low/low match it seems the implication is that IF you want to use a full-range signal at all then leave it to auto. If you want to use a limited signal then you're all good.
Yeah since he didn't say to avoid low+limited I think there's no downside? I think since I have an older avr right now. (Waiting for my earc Sharc to come) i'll Go with limited+low for now since I'm paranoid my receiver might screw things up and send the wrong signal once in awhile. But once I got the tv connected directly to ps5 i'll Switch to auto for both. Thanks!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Auto didn't work for me on my C8 and had to manually adjust it but it seems to work fine on my PS5.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So the other day I tried switching HDR off in the interest of this thread.

Unless Fortnite also uses HDR (don't think it does) - my results were strange. It looked gorgeous with the HDR setting on PS5 turned on, and when I turned it off (restarted PS5 and TV) it looked awful. Like super dark, the colours were hyper saturated, it was just weird.

Thing is, Fortnite looked fucking great on those same settings on my PS4 last week. Unless my TV is doing something, I'm not really sure what the PS5 is doing.

Either way, I'm just leaving the setting on. Everything I've played has looked gorgeous so far and I haven't really had an issue until I turned it off lol.

Nov 26, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in trying to parse all the comments, it sounds like if I have some nice SDR classic movie on blu-ray, it won't be affected by this issue? But SDR games and SDR streamed video content will encounter the problem? It sucks that it's happening, but I'm most concerned with how it will affect all the movies I plan on watching.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in trying to parse all the comments, it sounds like if I have some nice SDR classic movie on blu-ray, it won't be affected by this issue? But SDR games and SDR streamed video content will encounter the problem? It sucks that it's happening, but I'm most concerned with how it will affect all the movies I plan on watching.
Yes, that's exactly right. This affects everything except Blu-rays.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
So I tried playing NHL 21 on my PS5 today.

male-hiker-sielding-his-eyes.jpg

The funny thing is it's not the whiteness of the ice that's the worst part. It's the white and other bright/neon colors in the otherwise dark menus. Piercing brightness.

Pretty annoying that I have to manually switch from SDR to HDR and back every time I play one game.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hadn't even considered getting new PS4 games that I now have to look up to see if they support HDR. Dammit Sony, please fix!

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
If I turn it off, will my hdr disks play in sdr,?
If I leave it on, blurays will be in sdr and uhds will be in hdr, but sdr game or streaming service will be mapped to hdr?
Am I understanding this right? Thanks, I hope that's not too confusing.

Wrighton

Aug 12, 2020
United Kingdom
I've read a few concerns over the PS5 running in HDR mode all the time, so I decided to do some testing (disclaimer: I'm no expert).

Using a i1Display Pro and the iProfiler software, I've been able to measure the peak brightness of the PS5 in HDR and SDR on the LG CX OLED using the display uniformity test.

I've annotated a screenshot of the results here:
I896XA8.png

It should be self explanatory, if not heres the breakdown...
Four measurements have been taken of the PS5 UI, all measuring a white patch on screen for the Luminance (brightness). One was on the Adjust HDR screen in settings and the other three are using a game logo in the library with a white background, similar to the 10% window on screen 1/3 in Adjust HDR.

HDR On, Peak Luminance of the White Game Logo:
So firstly, using my calibrated picture mode "Game (in HDR)", I measured about 243cd/m2. Noting that this isn't the maximum brightness that the screen can achieve.

HDR Off (SDR), Peak Luminance of the White Game Logo:
Using my calibrated picture mode "Game (in SDR)", I mesured 97cd/m2 which tallies up with the reference brightness of 100cd/m2 for SDR content in a dark room.

I then changed to the "isf Expert (Bright Room)" picture mode and I measured 215cd/m2, which is close to the brightness measured with HDR on.

Adjust HDR Screen Peak White (2\3):
Finally for verification, I measured about 636cd/m2 in "Game (in HDR)" picture mode, which is approximately the brightest white any pixel on my TV will go. Meaning that the other HDR result wasn't being clipped by my calibration.
Note: I missed it off on the image above, but the measurement on the Adjust HDR screen 1/3 for the full field white was 128cd/m2.

I think if anyone is concerned about getting burn-in from the PS5 UI elements in HDR mode, it looks like Sony has set the peak brightness of anything on screen in the UI to be approximately the same as SDR when using a picture mode meant for bright sun/daytime viewing e.g 215cd/m2.

This all means that, running in SDR to prevent burn in of the PS5 UI on an OLED TV is probably not worth it.

Oct 28, 2017
I've read a few concerns over the PS5 running in HDR mode all the time, so I decided to do some testing (disclaimer: I'm no expert).

Using a i1Display Pro and the iProfiler software, I've been able to measure the peak brightness of the PS5 in HDR and SDR on the LG CX OLED using the display uniformity test.

I896XA8.png

Four measurements have been taken of the PS5 UI, all measuring a white patch on screen for the Luminance (brightness). One was on the Adjust HDR screen in settings and the other three are using a game logo in the library with a white background, similar to the 10% window on screen 1/3 in Adjust HDR.

So firstly, using my calibrated picture mode "Game (in HDR)", I measured about 243cd/m2. Noting that this isn't the maximum brightness that the screen can achieve.

Using my calibrated picture mode "Game (in SDR)", I mesured 97cd/m2 which tallies up with the reference brightness of 100cd/m2 for SDR content in a dark room.

I then changed to the "isf Expert (Bright Room)" picture mode and I measured 215cd/m2, which is close to the brightness measured with HDR on.

Finally for verification, I measured about 636cd/m2 in "Game (in HDR)" picture mode, which is approximately the brightest white any pixel on my TV will go. Meaning that the other HDR result wasn't being clipped by my calibration.
Note: I missed it off on the image above, but the measurement on the Adjust HDR screen 1/3 for the full field white was 128cd/m2.

I think if anyone is concerned about getting burn-in from the PS5 UI elements in HDR mode, it looks like Sony has set the peak brightness of anything on screen in the UI to be approximately the same as SDR when using a picture mode meant for bright sun/daytime viewing e.g 215cd/m2.

This all means that, running in SDR to prevent burn in of the PS5 UI on an OLED TV is probably not worth it.

Didn't want this post to go uncredited, if this is accurate then oled burn-in due to the PS5 running in HDR mode on the UI may not be a worry.

How is the brightness effected in SDR games while running in HDR mode, is it similar to the UI?

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
So I tried playing NHL 21 on my PS5 today.

male-hiker-sielding-his-eyes.jpg

The funny thing is it's not the whiteness of the ice that's the worst part. It's the white and other bright/neon colors in the otherwise dark menus. Piercing brightness.

Pretty annoying that I have to manually switch from SDR to HDR and back every time I play one game.
NHL 21 doesn't have HDR?

Or do you mean a TV programme?

I decided to watch Mandalorian and Discovery on PS5 last night to try it out and they both looked great.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
In my experience, this HDR filter or container that doesn't even add any HDR to SDR games just looks horrible on any SDR game cause it actually reduces the color and overall look massively.

Playing Genshin with system HDR activated and then without looks like day and night.
With this container it looks so gray and colorless and even slightly unsharp like looking through actual milk glass.
Then deactivating it system wide is a real eye opener. Suddenly someone activated the color switch and the game finally pops like it should be and looks crystal clear and sharp and fantastic.

I don't know if other games also show this so drastically but on Genshin it's crazy and I have no idea why there isn't more uproar on how awful the picture quality is on SDR games with this forced HDR container, not even Digital Foundry Dark1x mentioned that anywhere.

I noticed it second I booted up PS5 for the first time and switched around HDR for once. The dashboard immediately felt a little bit cleaner, clearer and sharper to me, it's weird what they did here.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
NHL gets way less in terms up upgrades and features compared to EA's other sport games because of the smaller userbase.

Sucks that you have to turn off settings in OS menu every time you want to play it.

I'm not sure I've played any non HDR games yet, haven't noticed anything weird with visuals yet anyway.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing Persona 5 Royal for the first time on PS5. Looking online, the game doesn't seem to support HDR. Is this why the game's colours look kind of weird? Honestly, it strains my eyes looking at the game. No idea why.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Persona 5 Royal for the first time on PS5. Looking online, the game doesn't seem to support HDR. Is this why the game's colours look kind of weird? Honestly, it strains my eyes looking at the game. No idea why.

It's very possible. Try turning off HDR in the video settings and see if it looks better to you.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I don't know if other games also show this so drastically but on Genshin it's crazy and I have no idea why there isn't more uproar on how awful the picture quality is on SDR games with this forced HDR container, not even Digital Foundry Dark1x mentioned that anywhere.

Pretty sure he mentioned it on Twitter before he (sensibly) locked his tweets, he likes it.

Edit: The locking of tweets and liking the effect aren't related, it was to explain why I can't quote a tweet here, not imply any correlation.

Last edited:

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
To me, HDR makes colors look washed out on SDR games and also blinding white is no fun on top of that.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I was just noticing this. The main issue with my 6 Series is the "Local Contrast" setting which I definitely want off for SDR content. If the TV is always in HDR mode, SDR content will have all its brightness areas constantly adjusting which looks terrible. I can have this switched off for non-HDR and on for HDR on the same input. But if the PS5 is always in HDR mode it's going to always be on.

So the solution is to disable HDR in the control panel for SDR content?

Man that sucks. Is there any chance Sony will implement an option to have it work the way it was done on the PS4?

It's also an additional pain in the ass because now I need to look up if a game supports HDR or not before running it. Is there a good list of PS4 games that support HDR? Do all PS5 native games support HDR?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Pretty sure he mentioned it on Twitter before he (sensibly) locked his tweets, he likes it.

Edit: The locking of tweets and liking the effect aren't related, it was to explain why I can't quote a tweet here, not imply any correlation.

I think he liked the dashboard in HDR and that it doesn't have to switch anymore when starting an HDR game, which I can understand, but he for sure doesn't like that this filter or container turns SDR games into washed out gray garbage (and not even adding HDR!), at least it's hard to believe, cause my trust in DF would be gone then, like colors of SDR games with this container.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You on an OLED? I played that game at launch on a PS4, so it displayed in SDR, but it actually strained my eyes even like that. I remember taking my TV's contrast setting down a few points.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018

Thank you for posting this.
The test matches my experience that UI luminance is not in any way overblown. Same for in game SDR.