Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
One thing i'm curious about is whether it'll have a preset character. It can kinda be up in the air with Souls-like games. Nioh had a preset character while Nioh 2 let you create your character. And with FF being a story heavy series it makes me wonder if they'll have a set hero/heroine or one that we can create?
If they're really leaning more towards FF1, then I'd honestly they'd go for more custom chars. Not only because Nioh 2's creator was so good, but because I think it would be all the more fitting if the Warrior(s) of Light we play dont talk much in the first place.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
would be down cause FFII has the most batshit villain ever

you kill him and his good side goes to heaven and his bad side goes to hell

his evil side overthrows satan and you go to hell to fight him again

his good side, is still evil for some reason and he overthrows god and you have to fight him there too

never seen something entertainingly dumb

Thanks, you sold me the game.

Oct 25, 2017
To me, saying "X game is the worst Final Fantasy" means basically nothing, because every single numbered Final Fantasy game is great. There is no such thing as a "bad mainline Final Fantasy game", only varying degrees of great. Even the "worst" numbered Final Fantasy game is still a great game that deserves to be played by fans of the genre.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
If you think about it, FFVIIR is a remake of FFI with Sephiroth copying Chaos' timeloop.

tenor.gif

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To me, saying "X game is the worst Final Fantasy" means basically nothing, because every single numbered Final Fantasy game is great. There is no such thing as a "bad mainline Final Fantasy game", only varying degrees of great. Even the "worst" numbered Final Fantasy game is still a great game that deserves to be played by fans of the genre.

Totally agree. Each entry is iconic in its own way. It's why we're all still here tbh.

I mean I barely remember III but I'm sure it's lovely.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017

This is where I settled after I started playing FFII and found it wasn't the abject disaster that years of topping "Worst Final Fantasy" lists suggests.

like damn, if ff2 is the worst game in the series, then we final fantasy fans live a charmed life indeed.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
This post is funny considering the previous page is literally about just letting people enjoy what they like without unnecessary negative takes or discourse that don't add anything. I love(tm) FF fans.

Neither one of these precludes the other and the idea they do is rather childish, honestly.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I settled after I started playing FFII and found it wasn't the abject disaster that years of topping "Worst Final Fantasy" lists suggests.

like damn, if ff2 is the worst game in the series, then we final fantasy fans live a charmed life indeed.

Even FFX-2, which is basically unmitigated garbage in almost every aspect from writing to music to quest design, has the best core combat system in the entire franchise.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
People will shit on XV's storytelling and then literally turn around and praise the storytelling in VII Remake lmao, it's wild. Both are really bad at it tbh
FFXV is on another level of bad to the point of being incomprehensible. FFVIIR might not have the best writing but it feels more polished and not like half of the cutscenes are missing or cut short for some reason.

Deleted member 511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither one of these precludes the other and the idea they do is rather childish, honestly.
Nah, people should just learn how to not be jerks and mask it as people not being able to accept '''''''criticism'''''' when none of said criticism is thoughtful or engaging. Replying to someone specifically appreciating the game by just saying it's the worst is like...stupid and unnecessary. It doesn't add anything aside to just be a jerk. Like a lot of ya'll just like to relentlessly and repeatedly shit on things (whether it's constantly calling creatives at SE talentless and hacks or something else) then get mad when others call it out. It happens in literally every FF thread that manages to go beyond 5-10 pages. I'm sure I'll get a reply that tries to justify this shit but I don't care, I'm tired. FF threads suck on here.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019

This is also how I feel. It's why talk around FF13 is so funny. For so long people acted as if it was this unplayable disaster when the truth is... the game is pretty good.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
As the only FFI&II fan who replays them on the regular.....I joked with my friends that XVI is when YoshiP's status as a FF2 fan sleeper agent becomes activated cuz XVI minus XIV is II.

If it is a Souls like FFI has the timeywimey bullshit and FFII has the desolate AF world state. Would be fun but they're all fired if it is based on II and don't include Minwu outfit. I did enjoy Minwu being so competent he had to die and Hilda forever unimpressed with Firion and forever drunk on 🍷 she's such a mood.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, people should just learn how to not be jerks and mask it as people not being able to accept '''''''criticism'''''' when none of said criticism is thoughtful or engaging. Replying to someone specifically appreciating the game by just saying it's the worst is like...stupid and unnecessary. It doesn't add anything aside to just be a jerk. Like a lot of ya'll just like to relentlessly and repeatedly shit on things (whether it's constantly calling creatives at SE talentless and hacks or something else) then get mad when others call it out. It happens in literally every FF thread that manages to go beyond 5-10 pages. I'm sure I'll get a reply that tries to justify this shit but I don't care, I'm tired. FF threads suck on here.

I can't speak for others (and obviously there's examples of what you're talking about on this very page), but I think I've been pretty reasonable in my own criticism and I don't think that should ever be stifled in anyone. If you were making one of your critiques about representation in terms of race and gender in the newer games and someone just wrote you off as as being "negative" or a jerk or a hater or w/e, you wouldn't like that, it wouldn't be fair and you know you'd say so. I'm not arguing in favor of a hostile discussion, I'm saying people should be free and seicome to present sober, dissenting opinions within reasonable bounds of discussion. And if anyone finds that repetitive or obnoxious or anything else, they should just bow out, instead of whining or trying to silence the dissenters.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I can't speak for others (and obviously there's examples of what you're talking about on this very page), but I think I've been pretty reasonable in my own criticism and I don't think that should ever be stifled in anyone. If you were making one of your critiques about representation in terms of race and gender in the newer games and someone just wrote you off as as being "negative" or a jerk or a hater or w/e, you wouldn't like that, it wouldn't be fair and you know you'd say so. I'm not arguing in favor of a hostile discussion, I'm saying people should be free and seicome to present sober, dissenting opinions within reasonable bounds of discussion. And if anyone finds that repetitive or obnoxious or anything else, they should just bow out, instead of whining or trying to silence the dissenters.
Dude, you, unprompted, called a creative — one that doesn't even work on the franchise anymore, mind — a "genuine hack". That's not criticism, that's not a "sober, dissenting opinion". That's just being a dick.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I do find it funny that the issues I had with the Type 0 cast got addressed in Opera Omnia of all places.....Machina got redeemed in my eyes fucking Machina! And I fucking hated him immensely. Shame Tabata probably had zero input on that unless it was unofficially done as I believe pre-production for OO season 2 story was after he had left but I only recently plowed through the story just to see it through so I'm not sure when what was added.

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
I do find it funny that the issues I had with the Type 0 cast got addressed in Opera Omnia of all places.....Machina got redeemed in my eyes fucking Machina! And I fucking hated him immensely.
Opera Omnia has pretty fun writing. Though I have no idea what they're doing with Locke in the recent things. Seemed wildly out of character.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, you, unprompted, called a creative — one that doesn't even work on the franchise anymore, mind — a "genuine hack". That's not criticism, that's not a "sober, dissenting opinion". That's just being a dick.

You know, if that'a the only part of my posts(s) you or anyone else wants to engage with, there's nothing I can do about that. The work speaks for itself. I think he's a bad director.

Sep 14, 2018
They should be, they are, but that's not what happens in FF threads. It's more "waaahh this, waahh that", and it's just really boring. Like sure, every once in a while let's all dump on XV, but every FF thread? It is repetitive, it is obnoxious and worse, it adds literally nothing because we all know the criticism of each game like the back of our hands anyway.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
They should be, they are, but that's not what happens in FF threads. It's more "waaahh this, waahh that", and it's just really boring. Like sure, every once in a while let's all dump on XV, but every FF thread? It is repetitive, it is obnoxious and worse, it adds literally nothing because we all know the criticism of each game like the back of our hands anyway.

Fair point. I don't post in every FF thread or very many threads at all really, so I'm going to be less sensitive to that.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Opera Omnia has pretty fun writing. Though I have no idea what they're doing with Locke in the recent things. Seemed wildly out of character.
I think it's at its best when you have Freya and Tidus butting heads with the Type 0 cast cuz they're chill about forgetting the dead and Vivi being the best IX character gently offering his opinion about how he deals with his own mortality. Was also really sweet how supportive everyone was to the Type 0 cast when they found out how fucked the rules were for their world.

And and as for Locke I think it was just him forgetting how to let go due to not having his post game memories in full. It was probably just an excuse to debut Mog and I'm totally ok with that. Was worth it just to see him threaten Locke with an ass kicking

Oct 28, 2017
This is also how I feel. It's why talk around FF13 is so funny. For so long people acted as if it was this unplayable disaster when the truth is... the game is pretty good.
Its the only mainline numbered I couldn't motor through. Finished them all, disliked some (9 /15) loathe this one and I would definitely recommend fans of the genre against picking it up.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it is a Souls like FFI has the timeywimey bullshit and FFII has the desolate AF world state. Would be fun but they're all fired if it is based on II and don't include Minwu outfit. I did enjoy Minwu being so competent he had to die and Hilda forever unimpressed with Firion and forever drunk on 🍷 she's such a mood.

Wait I almost made a post earlier about Minwu saying people don't talk about him enough lol. The elusive male white mage, shattering white mage stereotypes ahead of his time! What a legend.

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much.

XIII is one of my least liked Final Fantasy games. But it would be ridiculous to call it "bad". The game is actually pretty good, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to play a JRPG on the PS3/360 generation.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
FFXIII was just too far convoluted to me. I got halfway in and realized I just didn't have a clue of what was going on or what the point was. Felt like that game needed a mini handheld glossary with it to keep track of all the naming conventions.

I also thought the chocobo in the Afro was a bit tone deaf even though I was initially happy to see a black character in a final fantasy.

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I don't care what everyone say. FF7R had some best cutscene direction in series like Madam M hand massage, dance scene,Red 13 smile, Cloud drink and praise Tifa "beautiful". I love all the goofy moment and I hope FF series continue make all goofy/funny moment like that and less serious.
I finished FF12 two months ago. The serious dialogue and boring cutscene not make me love with story. Finished FF12 and the only reason I like is gambit

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I almost made a post earlier about Minwu saying people don't talk about him enough lol. The elusive male white mage, shattering white mage stereotypes ahead of his time! What a legend.
Yea he was apparently designed after a Iranian programmer who basically bailed out the development for FF1 or something and they wanted to make a sagacious/wizened Court White Wizard character based on him. Always thought Minwu was a badass. He is singlehandedly responsible for me going DEX/MND or DEX/Faith when I can build characters that way.

Last edited:

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I do find it funny that the issues I had with the Type 0 cast got addressed in Opera Omnia of all places.....Machina got redeemed in my eyes fucking Machina! And I fucking hated him immensely. Shame Tabata probably had zero input on that unless it was unofficially done as I believe pre-production for OO season 2 story was after he had left but I only recently plowed through the story just to see it through so I'm not sure when what was added.

Opera Omnia unironically made me enjoy Squall a heck of a lot more than his actual game ever did (I don't hate FFVIII by any stretch mind you, but I have always preferred VI and X). His inner monologue in this game is hilarious.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Opera Omnia unironically made me enjoy Squall a heck of a lot more than his actual game ever did (I don't hate FFVIII by any stretch mind you, but I have always preferred VI and X). His inner monologue in this game is hilarious.
Yea it's a shame you have to really delve a bit to get to this quality of writing and interactions with characters. I do give props for the Dissidia NT team for having the time to implement scenes where Shantoto and Ultimecia throw shade at each other while Tidus and Firion and Kefka and ExDeath are all just standing there nervously sweating.

Or Cecil and Ramza talking about being nobles and what responsibilities they have to the kingdom and their house and all that that entails only for Vaan to step in and remind them they have to take into account the common folk who often remain voiceless in their own country.

Edit: That last example was more my interpretation of the scene leaking into describing the scene. On a Vaan related note, TZA and playing it in 2020 made me appreciate Vaan more. I was already meh > appreciated with Penelo due to her sass as the Dissidia info box narrator (she undoubtedly was hit with the largest of nerfs to her sass going from Dissidia to Duodecim).

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the Rumor deconfirmations

The Soul like FF hasn't been Deconfirmed yet...

Oh well, I can't complain much. With the DQ celebration on the way, FFVIIr and FFXVI. I know I still have something to look foward to.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
would be down cause FFII has the most batshit villain ever

you kill him and his good side goes to heaven and his bad side goes to hell

his evil side overthrows satan and you go to hell to fight him again

his good side, is still evil for some reason and he overthrows god and you have to fight him there too

never seen something entertainingly dumb
I stopped playing after like 3 hours because leveling system was trash, but man that sounds crazy lmao.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't people accept that their opinions aren't fact and that your favorite character or game is another's hated? It's not that big of a deal. Some of yall try way too hard

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yea he was apparently designed after a Iranian programmer who basically bailed out the development for FF1 or something and they wanted to make a sagacious/wizened Court White Wizard character based on him. Always thought Minwu was a badass. He is singlehandedly responsible for me going DEX/MND or DEX/Faith when I can build characters that way.

Nasir Gebelli, one of the original Squaresoft heroes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasir_Gebelli

Programmed FF1 through FF3, then worked on Secret of Mana and retired a legend.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
We don't need AAA for their JRPGs. The Atelier games do more than well enough with a much more limited budget. If they paid Capcom 5 million to have REVII be VR exclusive on PS4 you can safely assume that exclusive and full Final Fantasy games will be twice that.

Where did I say we 'need' AAA RPGs? The point is that frankly, they clearly see a bigger return of investment in having FFXVI etc. exclusively on their platform for a time than spending money on funding remakes of franchises that have been dead for over two decades.

I'd love for them to bring back Alundra and Wild Arms, for example, or create a new JRPG series that isn't necessarily AAA but I'm not naïve enough to assume that the money used to fund these deals could have been used to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.