• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
If VRR is coming then they surely have a timetable planned. I'm not sure this is one of those instances where making noise will make it happen any faster. It might prompt them to comment though which would be nice.

Who knows but it might move the jira ticket further up in their priority list. Public pressure and angry customers can make companies act faster than expected.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's year.month-version. I don't have any clue how they determine the date of the firmware since we're still on Febuary of this year, but they might have forked early to get in extra testing for the m.2 drive support. They still use the old numbering scheme on the open source declarations site at least.
lol.. thanks. I just saw lots of numbers and I was like...errrrr, nope.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What percentage of people with PS5's have VRR TV's? And what percentage of titles played on PS5 could benefit from VRR?

I'd say it's less than 1% for the first question. Maybe 5% for the second? (Nothing I've played so far)

Looking forward to them adding VRR, but come on, relax!
Yeah it's very few people if that and almost all games are already super stable on the system lol. It's def coming rich from DF mentioned that it's on their roadmap but with few TVs having it I can see where it's a lower priority.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
More than VRR, I'd like system level 120Hz output so games can run with lower latency on supported displays.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
FYI Cerny was wrong and Dolby issued a correction after he made those claims.
No he was most definitely not and that correction Dolby issues just confirmed what Mark Cerny said. They just handwaved it away by saying developers told them too many objects can cause a confusing soundscape. Dolby Atmos as a technology supports hundreds of objects for Cinema. Dolby Atmos gaming supports much less. This is what Mark Cerny was talking about.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I know you've been dunked on already, but lol. Talk about a flamin' hot take.

Of all the things you could have (legitimately) criticized you take the worst one possible.

EDIT: Inferior to Samsung. Now I have heard it all. I'm already out of this discussion before it even began
LOL. I'm being dunked on?

Are you comparing a Sony LCD to a Samsung LCD?
Or a Sony OLED to a Samsung LCD?

I don't think it's much of a hot take.
AMD surely have implemented the functionality for VRR in the drivers they give Sony.
The feature is in the last gen Xbox.
Why doesn't the PS5 support it?
Because their TVs don't support it.

As I said... a TV is graded on all its features... not just one or two. Eg, itcan have graet nput lag buthorrible color banding. Or it can have great contrast but crushes blacks....etc

Jonnax
The Sony A90j still won the best Overall TV of 2021. Its right there in the video Iposted... and the one thatyou have singled out just one part to post lol.

Surely, that would mean nothing to you if what you are looking for is the best gaming TV... and that is the point I was making, to begin with.You cannot say something is inferior overall simply because it lacks the one or two things you are looking for. That just means its "not for you".
h
'm posting on a thread about the PS5 firmware.
And the best gaming TV according to them is an LG 1st then a Samsung. So maybe it's 3rd place?

If we're talking about video games, it would be a worse option to buy.

I don't know why you're hung up on the word inferior.

It's inferior for gaming.
And because of their lack of support for 1440p and VRR, PS5 does not support those features.

Other people who have better TVs (or monitors) are losing out of functionality that the console can easily support because Sony's TVs do not.

I know a few people who play their PS5 on 1440p monitors. And have to use a 1080p output. Because Sony TVs don't support it. And it seems like a lot of people just brush it off saying "PS5 is for TVs not monitors" when the Xbox or a PC can use both fine.

Therefore to any gamer with other TVs, I don't see any issue in saying "Sony's shitty TVs are holding PS5 feature back from consumers"

Saying that it's better at playing videos with amazing picture processing doesn't mean much to a gamer where there's 130ms+ input lag outside of game mode.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
People still haven't learned updates are not always about user facing features. They add new features to the sdk, improve security, fix bugs, improve system performance etc.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
LOL. I'm being dunked on?

Are you comparing a Sony LCD to a Samsung LCD?
Or a Sony OLED to a Samsung LCD?

I don't think it's much of a hot take.
AMD surely have implemented the functionality for VRR in the drivers they give Sony.
The feature is in the last gen Xbox.
Why doesn't the PS5 support it?
Because their TVs don't support it.

h
'm posting on a thread about the PS5 firmware.
And the best gaming TV according to them is an LG 1st then a Samsung. So maybe it's 3rd place?

If we're talking about video games, it would be a worse option to buy.

I don't know why you're hung up on the word inferior.

It's inferior for gaming.
And because of their lack of support for 1440p and VRR, PS5 does not support those features.

Other people who have better TVs (or monitors) are losing out of functionality that the console can easily support because Sony's TVs do not.

I know a few people who play their PS5 on 1440p monitors. And have to use a 1080p output. Because Sony TVs don't support it. And it seems like a lot of people just brush it off saying "PS5 is for TVs not monitors" when the Xbox or a PC can use both fine.

Therefore to any gamer with other TVs, I don't see any issue in saying "Sony's shitty TVs are holding PS5 feature back from consumers"

Saying that it's better at playing videos with amazing picture processing doesn't mean much to a gamer where there's 130ms+ input lag outside of game mode.
If all you said was... its an inferior TV to get for gaming.I would not have said a single thing. But that's not what you said.

And funny enough...I am in agreement with you, while a majority of what you mention doesn't matter to me, doesn'tmanI ill say something is bad in as general a way as you initially did. Even if I know how it can man the world to those that it matters to.

anyway... it's no biggie, let's leave it alone.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
I had to reformat my PS5 almost 6 times, though since I switched from my 8tb to an 4tb external; no crashes and forced reformatting. I have enough games to fill the 8tb so I want to go back; just worried about it. Hopefully it was either just that drive; or some corruption in the files.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
If VRR ever shows up I full expect to to be something that devs have to opt into - I'd be deeply surprised if they turn it on for everything as they do on Xbox

Jul 18, 2021
FYI Cerny was wrong and Dolby issued a correction after he made those claims.
Mark Cerny and his development team ditched this technology after consideration and it was a keynote in Sony's nameā€¦ I can't believe he would make any "claims" out of the blue under these circumstances.

No he was most definitely not and that correction Dolby issues just confirmed what Mark Cerny said. They just handwaved it away by saying developers told them too many objects can cause a confusing soundscape. Dolby Atmos as a technology supports hundreds of objects for Cinema. Dolby Atmos gaming supports much less. This is what Mark Cerny was talking about.
Exactly. There you have it.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Did they fix the sleep mode? My PS5 soft-bricks every time :(
Getting the green screen and the it hard shuts off? I had this happen too. I had to send the console in to Sony for repair :(. They replaced the motherboard. Just an FYI, they had to do it twice, the first one I got back had the same issue right out of the box (but worse). So far the second repair has been perfect.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
rest mode works perfectly for me if i do it myself but if it goes into rest mode automatically its a toss up to see if it turns on again or whether i have to hard reboot and do a database rebuild. it sucks if i forget to do it myself and it doesnt turn back on.

Oh weird. Sorry, I've always put it in rest mode and not let it go into it.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
If all you said was... its an inferior TV to get for gaming.I would not have said a single thing. But that's not what you said.

And funny enough...I am in agreement with you, while a majority of what you mention doesn't matter to me, doesn'tmanI ill say something is bad in as general a way as you initially did. Even if I know how it can man the world to those that it matters to.

anyway... it's no biggie, let's leave it alone.
Yeah, I realise I'm being inflammatory especially since TVs aren't cheap.
It's just frustrating that it's been a year and the odds are they'll never implement 1440p.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
After I added M2 drive my PS5 started to crash during restmode (and on the first launch after several minutes of just browsing UI, restarting makes it work again).

It did have external drive connected and it didn't crash so I suspect it's now M2 drives that cause crashing.
Damn, I guess that would make sense, lol.

Maybe the next big update will fix it, like the big one in Apr 2021 did for externals.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
So when are they gonna let me remove the bigass giant recording timer that takes up a 5th of my screen when I want to record

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Guess no VRR until their newer TVs get it. RIP..

Their TVs are excellent... just no VRR. Which sucks.

But a bunch of big reviewers got together to pick the best TV of the year, and that TV was the A90J. :)
I considered the A90J but had to go with the G1 because Sony only provided one "useable" HDMI 2.1 port. I say "useable" because the second HDMI 2.1 port is also the eARC port so sending that back to my receiver means it is not useable as a source since my receiver is not HDMI 2.1 compliant and I have no need to replace it from an audio processing point of view.

I have the XSX and PS5 connected directly to the TV for HDMI 2.1 features and use the eARC port to send audio back, then all other devices are connected directly to the reciever.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
After I added M2 drive my PS5 started to crash during restmode (and on the first launch after several minutes of just browsing UI, restarting makes it work again).

It did have external drive connected and it didn't crash so I suspect it's now M2 drives that cause crashing.

this m2 implementation went pretty painless even from the earliest beta they released, among here. (compared to multiple external drive issues people were having at console launch, or some even still)
i would also try with another drive too. ( i assume its easier said than done)

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I have a LG 55CX and VRR is one more reason I prefer XSX over PS5 for multiplatform games. I hate arrogant Sony.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VRR should be a thing by now. There's no excuse for an advertised feature to still be unavailable more than a year after launch.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yeah, I realise I'm being inflammatory especially since TVs aren't cheap.
It's just frustrating that it's been a year and the odds are they'll never implement 1440p.
The real kicker is that I don't even think they will add 1440p for even their next year's models.

Sony has this way of not supporting features that they believe aren't primarily for their Movie/TV-watching audience. So to them, TV is not broadcast in 1440p, movies aren't encoded n 1440p, so they won't support it.

The only reason they probably can't wriggle out of VRR support is that it's part of the complete HDMI 2.1 spec.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Christmas came early.

The gift of stability for one and for all*

* - Amazon Prime, Gamestop Pro, Best Buy Totaltech , or Walmart Plus membership required

Joo

May 25, 2018
The real kicker is that I don't even think they will add 1440p for even their next year's models.

Sony has this way of not supporting features that they believe aren't primarily for their Movie/TV-watching audience. So to them, TV is not broadcast in 1440p, movies aren't encoded n 1440p, so they won't support it.

The only reason they probably can't wriggle out of VRR support is that it's part of the complete HDMI 2.1 spec.
I wouldn't talk about wriggling out of anything, obviously it's in Sony's interests to have VRR as that will instantly benefit so many games and they would almost definitely have it on PS5 already if their TVs, which are very, very good in every other way in my experience, wouldn't have some serious problems implementing VRR also. VRR is already kinda niche feature for most console gamers as most probably don't even know what it is or care, but in comparison to 1440p support there's a massive demand for it, which still doesn't mean much.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Same with 120 Hz output on PS5.
Yep.

There is no reason you have to use vrr just because you are using hdmi 2.1

What I suspect is a far more likely option is that the Tv side of things are prepping new models with new marketing driven features.
VRR will be rebadged as "Dynamic Game Refresh" or something, so that They can put another badge on their box. They've done that with various other standard TV things and in lieu of anything meaningful they can add to a new Tv, they have to get creative.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
wonder if this will finally let me put the PS5 into rest mode without it crashing every other time...

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yep.

There is no reason you have to use vrr just because you are using hdmi 2.1

What I suspect is a far more likely option is that the Tv side of things are prepping new models with new marketing driven features.
VRR will be rebadged as "Dynamic Game Refresh" or something, so that They can put another badge on their box. They've done that with various other standard TV things and in lieu of anything meaningful they can add to a new Tv, they have to get creative.
I agree.

Sony is the Apple of electronics after all.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
A year later and still no 1440p.

I actually regret getting a PS5 now. Should've just saved my money.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
By all means point me to all the sound engineers stepping up to say that Dolby absolutely got it wrong and they're incorrect about too many sound sources muddying the soundstage. I'd genuinely like to read their perspectives on it.

Last edited:

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
I know you've been dunked on already, but lol. Talk about a flamin' hot take.

Of all the things you could have (legitimately) criticized you take the worst one possible.

EDIT: Inferior to Samsung. Now I have heard it all. I'm already out of this discussion before it even began

Yeah I had the Samsung QN90A and traded it for a X95J and I vastly prefer the Sony.

Sure Samsung has more features but their game mode is incredibly gimped. The local dimming is slow when transitioning between light and dark objects, blooming a lot more prevalent, black levels are lifted and look more greyish.

Local dimming works just the same in game mode as it does out of game mode on the Sony.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Dolby Atmos gaming doesn't exist as a thing - this is purely down to the windows APi that drives the only place Dolby is available - Windows and Xbox, having some limits on imposed on it by the Windows Spatial audio API.
Whilst the Audio professor itself maybe be efficient enough to encode HRTF effects to thousands of objects simultaneously, are developers going to want to spend the resources to track the position of thousands of sound objects simultaneously- either in memory or in hunan turn from placement?
Cerny gave the example of a rain storm- but can a normal human perceive difference in immersion between 1000 individually placed hrtf objects or 1000 hrtf placed objects mixed into a single track?
I guess Sony's solution allows for greater precision per person or to set it for headphones or different speaker setups - but I can understand why developers may not alllocate resources to it

Last edited: