• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I had the Samsung QN90A and traded it for a X95J and I vastly prefer the Sony.

Sure Samsung has more features but their game mode is incredibly gimped. The local dimming is slow when transitioning between light and dark objects, blooming a lot more prevalent, black levels are lifted and look more greyish.

Local dimming works just the same in game mode as it does out of game mode on the Sony.
I have a QN90A in my family room but have only just mounted it and not tested it fully yet, but I'm not expecting it to be that amazing. It was more a matter of meeting my size/price requirements more than anything.

I have a G1 in the basement that is my more "serious" viewing room, but I'm interested to see how the QN90A stacks up.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Next year according to DF. Also, it's not gonna be slipped into some small patch. It's gonna be an announcement on their blog.
well it is a big deal, so it's definitely worthy of a blog post. I hope all this extra time means it launches bug-free.

That's something companies like VIZIO have supremely fucked up over the last 2 years, permanently losing quite a few customers along the way. My little brother was a long-time VIZIO customer and picked up their OLED TV on launch to upgrade his gaming experience. 1.25 years of problems, stability issues, and an inability to do features like this (I think 4K + 120 may still be broken to this day...their subreddit is a raging forest fire)...he pulled it off the wall wholesale and replaced it with a C1. Been happy ever since. 👀👀

I can confidently say he'll never buy another VIZIO again. Sony should be careful to not continue overpromising and under-delivering on features like this, which tend to be the things that tip buying decisions one way or another. People get bitter. If this feature launches with bugs that end up being slow to get fixed, people will make a move just like my brother did and never buy another Sony.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
this m2 implementation went pretty painless even from the earliest beta they released, among here. (compared to multiple external drive issues people were having at console launch, or some even still)
i would also try with another drive too. ( i assume its easier said than done)
Same for me, and I was in the big m.2 beta.

I still have the same m.2.

I think my external m.2 issue may have to do with heat. The enclosure gets so hot during transfers, and I can barely transfer any games back n forth with no issues. I can play games from it fine, its just a mystery on how to get games on it now.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
By all means point me to all the sound engineers stepping up to say that Dolby absolutely got it wrong and they're incorrect about too many sound sources muddying the soundstage. I'd genuinely like to read their perspectives on it.
Of course, when you are a sound designer for a game or movie you don't throw every sound possible at the listener and would want to focus the sound design. But our brain naturally filters sound based on where we are focusing. When you are in a busy environment you tune out most sounds. When you are in a rainstorm you are listening to thousands of raindrops hitting objects, it is not a confusing soundstage. The idea that giving sound designers the option to simulate that effect with hundreds of objects as confusing soundscape is bullshit, you can do it with less but having the option is not a bad thing either. In returnal for example each projectile from a boss can act as a sound object and there can be hundreds in a scene at any given time of course they are culled based on distance and filtered so they don't clash with each other but this is why Sony went with their own solution, giving developers options on how they can approach their sound design. Nobody said Dolby got it wrong, Sony wanted more than Dolby offers, they have excellent in-house audio solutions.

Dolby Atmos gaming doesn't exist as a thing - this is purely down to the windows APi that drives the only place Dolby is available - Windows and Xbox, having some limits on imposed on it by the Windows Spatial audio API.
Whilst the Audio professor itself maybe be efficient enough to encode HRTF effects to thousands of objects simultaneously, are developers going to want to spend the resources to track the position of thousands of sound objects simultaneously- either in memory or in hunan turn from placement?
In Cerny
Dolby atmos games exist the same way Dolby vision games does. The limitation is not due to windows spacial audio API as Microsoft's own windows Sonic can support up to 128 objects whereas Dolby atmos cap at 32. What developers do with the capability is up to them but the option is there.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Baffling how anyone can look at the icons for the installed games tab compared to the icons in the game collection tab and think they are fine.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
VRR will be rebadged as "Dynamic Game Refresh" or something, so that They can put another badge on their box. They've done that with various other standard TV things and in lieu of anything meaningful they can add to a new Tv, they have to get creative.
Don't all manufacturers do it? For example - HDMI-CEC being called Simplink by LG, Bravia Sync by Sony and Anynet by Samsung?

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Same for me, and I was in the big m.2 beta.

I still have the same m.2.

I think my external m.2 issue may have to do with heat. The enclosure gets so hot during transfers, and I can barely transfer any games back n forth with no issues. I can play games from it fine, its just a mystery on how to get games on it now.
I doubt it's heat in my case as I can transfer data to it and it won't crash, it will only happen if:
1. In rest mode, usually when something starts to download
2. When turning the console for the first time (when properly shutdown) and doing nothing. After it crashes and I restart it with database rebuild it works fine for hours.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on, the error code is generic as fuck, and it doesn't display in error list in settings so I doubt it gets send to Sony's servers when I use reporting feature that displays after restart

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Of course, when you are a sound designer for a game or movie you don't throw every sound possible at the listener and would want to focus the sound design. But our brain naturally filters sound based on where we are focusing. When you are in a busy environment you tune out most sounds. When you are in a rainstorm you are listening to thousands of raindrops hitting objects, it is not a confusing soundstage. The idea that giving sound designers the option to simulate that effect with hundreds of objects as confusing soundscape is bullshit, you can do it with less but having the option is not a bad thing either. In returnal for example each projectile from a boss can act as a sound object and there can be hundreds in a scene at any given time of course they are culled based on distance and filtered so they don't clash with each other but this is why Sony went with their own solution, giving developers options on how they can approach their sound design. Nobody said Dolby got it wrong, Sony wanted more than Dolby offers, they have excellent in-house audio solutions.
Just so I'm clear;

You are saying Dolby, one of the leading audio companies in the world, is spreading bullshit.
Is that assertion made on the basis of you being a sound engineer with experience building complex soundscapes (in movies or games) or is it made on the basis that you are a regular forum dweller without the requisite experience to counter what they are saying.

I think that context is pretty important in digesting what you're saying to me and whether we continue this conversation. For the avoidance of doubt, I fit into the 'forum dweller' camp hence asking you to provide sources supporting the counter view to Dolby you are positioning.
And lastly, if you have verified sources countering Dolby's claims then I'd love to read them, I recall reading a great article talking about the constraints of audio back in the older console days and it was fascinating, I genuinely would to hear more, especially if it's calling out Dolby's position to be incorrect.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Don't all manufacturers do it? For example - HDMI-CEC being called Simplink by LG, Bravia Sync by Sony and Anynet by Samsung?
CEC is particularly odd because implementations are often not 100% compatible with each other and I guess that is supposed to be a method of weaseling out. Samsung puts FreeSync on spec lists AFAIK.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Still no way to set game chat audio to come out of my soundbar as opposed to the controller microphone? Guess the 3.5 dongle workaround continues.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
On another note, i think the party chat is a mess. Somehow i keep clicking the wrong spots to enter a voice chat and get out of it. The way they did it with messages all being integrated and whatnot i think made it a hassle a bit. It is a mini maze IMO to get into a voice chat or to leave chat and to navigate the settings around it to lower volume of other folks chatting.

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
What percentage of people with PS5's have VRR TV's? And what percentage of titles played on PS5 could benefit from VRR?

I'd say it's less than 1% for the first question. Maybe 5% for the second? (Nothing I've played so far)

Looking forward to them adding VRR, but come on, relax!
Exactly. Some tv's that support VRR have issues or quirks with it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Given the very low adoption rate of VRR capable TVs, and the quirks that still need to be worked out in the technology itself, it shouldn't be any wonder that VRR is a low priority for Sony. Hell, I'd argue that 1440p support is a more pressing need given the plethora of 1440p monitors out on the market.

Given the recent news of the PS5 being cracked, I bet this update is primarily to address that.

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
I have a gsync monitor for my PC, and VRR support makes a huge difference. That said, I don't ever see any tearing on any games on my PS5. I haven't noticed any frame pacing issues on PS5 games either.

Are there games that have issues that would definitely benefit from VRR support? Any examples?

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Just so I'm clear;

You are saying Dolby, one of the leading audio companies in the world, is spreading bullshit.
Is that assertion made on the basis of you being a sound engineer with experience building complex soundscapes (in movies or games) or is it made on the basis that you are a regular forum dweller without the requisite experience to counter what they are saying.
Just so I'm clear;

I am not saying that Dolby is spreading bullshit or calling out anyone. I am specifically saying your notion that Mark Cerny was wrong is false.

They did not say Mark Cerny was wrong, they gave a handwavy response to Mark Cerny saying their game solution does not offer the capability they wanted for PS5. There is nothing to counter. It is a non-answer response. All Lori Solomon said was Dolby Atmos as a technology can support hundreds of objects which is true. When designing a soundscape you don't just throw hundreds of objects about. That is also true, you have to curate the experience which is what sound designers do. But can the implementation of atmos for games support hundreds of objects? Evidence points to no, based on Microsoft's own spatial audio documentation which is the same sentiment Mark Cerny said in his talk. That is it.

Last edited:

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Common PC monitor resolution.

1080p, 4K are common TV resolutions, not 1440p. Sony doesn't sell monitors, that's probably one of the reasons why we will never get it.
I wouldn't wait.

Yeah exactly. The desktop monitor market is tiny compared to the TV market, and even in the niche desktop monitor sector, 4k is becoming ubiquitous and cheap, and windows scaling is slowly getting a bit less crap. I don't think 1440p as a fairly mainstream resolution is long for this world.

Also, most vaguely recent 1440p monitors from the last bunch of years take 4k input over HDMI and scale it down nicely to 1440p anyway.

So we have a niche market, and one (albeit not uncommon) resolution within that market, that's probably going to start to become less common with 4k in it's place, where a percentage of the screens at that resolution happily scale down from 4k anyway - probably isn't worth natively bothering with.

I think people should be more outraged that they have been selling and are probably still selling ancient 1440p monitors that can't scale down from 4k, because they have old outdated gysnc modules or whatever that are stuck with HDMI 1.4 or so. Not to mention the almost universal contrast, clouding and bleed issues they all have.

But who knows, maybe Sony will eventually get to it. After all, the default tower config of the PS5 works quite nicely on a desk. Almost like it was a consideration.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I have a gsync monitor for my PC, and VRR support makes a huge difference. That said, I don't ever see any tearing on any games on my PS5. I haven't noticed any frame pacing issues on PS5 games either.

Are there games that have issues that would definitely benefit from VRR support? Any examples?
This is where I am as well. With my PC games it seems like it would be a huge essential feature as the framerate and tearing are all over the place since settigns are very user driven, but on PS5 I think it would be marginal improvement in my gaming experience.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020

Many 3rd party games have dips. Elden Ring is going to be a huge one that will benefit. Also most games that have 120hz modes rarely maintain that frame rate.

There's no excuse not to have it at this point.

thejpfin

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Also, most vaguely recent 1440p monitors from the last bunch of years take 4k input over HDMI and scale it down nicely to 1440p anyway.
I actually got 1440p monitor for my PS5 and PC yesterday, I'm really impressed with it. I'm not sure is the downscaling method same for every monitor, but for my MSI G273QF I don't see the difference between native 1440p or 4k downscaled 1440p, both look really crisp and good. If there is a difference, it's very small.
That being said, I still want official 1440p support for Ps5. This 4k 1440p downscaling method is limited to 60hz.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
And some don't. It was a promised feature on the PS5 ahead of its launch, was directly advertised on it, and a year on is still not there. Stop with this BS.
It's kind of funny that Resetera has both an 11-page outrage thread over an $8 cosmetic in a F2P game and another where people are defending a $3,000+ TV that lacks a great QoL feature lol

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Just so I'm clear;

I am not saying that Dolby is spreading bullshit or calling out anyone. I am specifically saying your notion that Mark Cerny was wrong is false.

They did not say Mark Cerny was wrong, they gave a handwavy response to Mark Cerny saying their game solution does not offer the capability they wanted for PS5. There is nothing to counter. It is a non-answer response. All Lori Solomon said was Dolby Atmos as a technology can support hundreds of objects which is true. When designing a soundscape you don't just throw hundreds of objects about. That is also true, you have to curate the experience which is what sound designers do. But can the implementation of atmos for games support hundreds of objects? Evidence points to no, based on Microsoft's own spatial audio documentation which is the same sentiment Mark Cerny said in his talk. That is it.
Just for future reference, and I appreciate you may not have meant it to come across this way, but your posts absolutely do read like you're saying Dolby is spreading bullshit because you explicitly state the scenario they positioned is bullshit. 🤷‍♂️

I too have read the Microsoft Spatial audio developer docs. The problem here is that you're referencing Microsoft docs not Dolby's.

Dolby have been quite clear, Dolby Atmos supports more than 32 sources/objects. There's no reason why a PS5 implementation of Dolby Atmos couldn't support just as many, if not more, than Sony's own solution.
The fact that neither Sony, Mark or any audio engineers countered Dolby's correction (to the best of my knowledge) should tell you everything you need to know.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
VRR and 1440p support is a must. I really hope these are coming in the next big one...

ElCidTmax

Oct 28, 2017
Many 3rd party games have dips. Elden Ring is going to be a huge one that will benefit. Also most games that have 120hz modes rarely maintain that frame rate.

There's no excuse not to have it at this point.

Are there any comparison videos of 3rd party games running on Series X vs PS5 where there is a clear improvement attributable to VRR on the Xbox? My TV supports VRR, so I obviously want it, but I'm just not convinced that it is going to be a meaningful improvement over the current state.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I actually got 1440p monitor for my PS5 and PC yesterday, I'm really impressed with it. I'm not sure is the downscaling method same for every monitor, but for my MSI G273QF I don't see the difference between native 1440p or 4k downscaled 1440p, both look really crisp and good. If there is a difference, it's very small.
That being said, I still want official 1440p support for Ps5. This 4k 1440p downscaling method is limited to 60hz.

Yeah this was my experience with getting a 1440p monitor this summer. I figured I could live with downscaled 4k/60 for the PS5 since it's mostly my platform for exclusives but when my Series X is doing 1440p/120hz on stuff it seems silly to have to compromise

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Are there any comparison videos of 3rd party games running on Series X vs PS5 where there is a clear improvement attributable to VRR on the Xbox? My TV supports VRR, so I obviously want it, but I'm just not convinced that it is going to be a meaningful improvement over the current state.
Unfortunately it's impossible to properly show the benefits of VRR on a youtube video. But the more a game can't maintain its frame rate, the better VRR is. I brought up Elden Ring specifically because From Soft has a history of being unable to deliver stable frame rates and it will be stutter city without VRR. Beyond that, 120hz games are probably the next to benefit the most. Most 60hz games do relatively well, but even when they dip a couple frames it will cause a stutter. Some are more sensitive to it than others. I am super sensitive if it happens when the camera is moving, otherwise hard to notice them.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped waiting for VRR on PS5 and accepted playing on it as it is, thankfully I also have a XSX.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Take a look at some of the digital foundry videos where they look at games with 120hz modes, you'll see how few of those get to 120fps on a regular basis.
I think There have been games that run at a higher resolution , but drop more frames on Xbox, VRR means you wouldn't be aware of those drops.
Most of the time it's going to be an invisible improvement - any time a game drops a frame vrr steps in to make the judder go away. For games that would have previously used adaptive vsync / no vsync and would tear, again VRR can mean they won't need to do that.
I hope that when it does show up on PS5, we will have developers put VRR specific modes in.

Where it becomes really useful is for games running in a 120hz performance mode where they won't hit a locked 120, the game can run either at a variable rate say between 80-120hz or can simply run "unlocked".
That's kinda what ratchet does- where there was clearly enough overhead to run at 40fps (or had had some optimisations to do so).
Pontentially that game could have run at a slightly higher frame rate again, either fixed or with fluctuation , but without VRR, that wasn't an option.

Last edited:

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Just for future reference, and I appreciate you may not have meant it to come across this way, but your posts absolutely do read like you're saying Dolby is spreading bullshit because you explicitly state the scenario they positioned is bullshit. 🤷‍♂️

If you read my statement, this is what I said;

When you are in a rainstorm you are listening to thousands of raindrops hitting objects, it is not a confusing soundstage. The idea that giving sound designers the option to simulate that effect with hundreds of objects as confusing soundscape is bullshit.
Whether it be 2, 32, or 200 objects, you can achieve the same effect but what Mark Cerny specifically was talking about is having the ability to do HRTF for hundreds of sounds like in a rainfall. Providing that capability to developers and he said Atmos does only 32. That same number is what Microsoft says as well so I'm inclined to go with both Mark Cerny and Microsoft regardless of whether or not in theory it can do 1000.

I too have read the Microsoft Spatial audio developer docs. The problem here is that you're referencing Microsoft docs not Dolby's.
Dolby references Microsoft's own documentation, with no disclaimer that the documentation is wrong.

Dolby have been quite clear, Dolby Atmos supports more than 32 sources/objects. There's no reason why a PS5 implementation of Dolby Atmos couldn't support just as many, if not more, than Sony's own solution.

We know Dolby atmos supports more as their Cinema implementation documents say up to 118 objects can be used simultaneously. And I bet the technology, in general, can support more but the actual implementation says 32 is the limit for games as stated by Microsoft and Mark Cerny and up to 118 for Cinema as stated in their own documentation. I really don't care one way or another but that is the information available.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is to do with the recent PS5 jailbreak tweets that went around, I updated since i have zero interest in jailbreaking my PS5 but I have to assume Sony has to be on top of that asap.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I wonder if this is to do with the recent PS5 jailbreak tweets that went around, I updated since i have zero interest in jailbreaking my PS5 but I have to assume Sony has to be on top of that asap.
More than likely yea as they would have likely been given advance notice so they started working it on it weeks ago before the public reveal.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped waiting for VRR on PS5 and accepted playing on it as it is, thankfully I also have a XSX.
I gave up on it on PS5 and do not expect it to ever work properly on my X90J TV. funny enough I have my XSX connected to the X90J and the PS5 hooked up to the CX…solid logic from me

SantosStrife

Oct 27, 2017
Hello all, I updated my PS5 and now when I select the option turn off from the sub-menu/PS button quick menu, the PS5 have a delay of almost 30 seconds to finally prepare to turn off.

It's really strange... (lol)

If someone update as well, please let me know if this happens as well.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I gave up on it on PS5 and do not expect it to ever work properly on my X90J TV. funny enough I have my XSX connected to the X90J and the PS5 hooked up to the CX…solid logic from me

I have both of them connected to my CX :) perfect TV for these new consoles, I'm still getting impressed by it.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
If you read my statement, this is what I said;

Whether it be 2, 32, or 200 objects, you can achieve the same effect but what Mark Cerny specifically was talking about is having the ability to do HRTF for hundreds of sounds like in a rainfall. Providing that capability to developers and he said Atmos does only 32. That same number is what Microsoft says as well so I'm inclined to go with both Mark Cerny and Microsoft regardless of whether or not in theory it can do 1000.

Dolby references Microsoft's own documentation, with no disclaimer that the documentation is wrong.

We know Dolby atmos supports more as their Cinema implementation documents say up to 118 objects can be used simultaneously. And I bet the technology, in general, can support more but the actual implementation says 32 is the limit for games as stated by Microsoft and Mark Cerny and up to 118 for Cinema as stated in their own documentation. I really don't care one way or another but that is the information available.
I think the conversation has run it's course but for future discussion; implementation is not the same as capability.

Dolby say the technology supports more than 32 objects, there's no reason to doubt them.

Don't confuse an implemention limited to 32 objects as being the limitation of the technology, it's not and that's why a correction was issued by Dolby. There's nothing else to it really.