Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
The best thing Sony can do to mitigate the reduced storage size is to increase the download speeds on PSN

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looking back at the Cerny talk, you're right that Cerny didn't say anything about PS5 games on external cold storage. I'm going to stop telling people this is an option until it's explicitly confirmed. 😬
The way people have been talking I thought it was already explicitly confirmed. We're still waiting on a comment from Sony?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The way people have been talking I thought it was already explicitly confirmed. We're still waiting on a comment from Sony?
I believe so. People seem to have been saying that this has been confirmed for a while as i think many people believe it's a foregone conclusion that it is (and to be honest it should be). However offically i don't think it has been confirmed.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen people say it for weeks and I've been saying it too and not once until now has anyone said "well akshually..." so I reasonably assumed it was true.

(no shade to Timu, I appreciate being corrected!)

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose MS didn't confirm this until Sep 24 (or maybe earlier, I don't keep up with their PR) so there's still hope Sony comes out with that info when we get our next info dump.
I believe so. People seem to have been saying that this has been confirmed for a while as i think many people believe it's a foregone conclusion that it is (and to be honest it should be). However offically i don't think it has been confirmed.
Me too. Release a FAQ already.
Until someone at Sony directly says you can store PS5 games to external hard drives for cold storage I'll remain skeptical.

Oct 25, 2017
It's already confirmed for XSX, isn't it? I have to imagine they will try to match Microsoft feature-for-feature.
I assumed that about enhancement patches for first party games and, well...

Sony is surely aware that storage is tight so I'd hope they implement whatever they can to ease the problem. It's to everyone's benefit. If it's not in at launch it seems like something that could be patched into the OS. Just gonna keep my fingers crossed at this point.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
There is even data on how long it takes to transfer games from internal SSD to external SSD/HDD and vice versa.

I think the same will work for PS5 but I'm surprised Sony hasn't confirmed anything yet, that's crazy.
Yeah I found these 2 pics a while back:

NvT5Sf7.png

db20f51c-2571-41fd-8ffckrz.png

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Any chance game file sizes could get smaller this gen ?

Like devs could figure some magic compression tech or whatever ?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

depends on the game. something like Destruction All-Stars which is only around 25GB? yeah. Even a decently sized open world type game like Spider-Man gets a small reduction in size despite a big jump in asset quality.

but a game like the next GTA, the next Elder Scrolls or those big ass Call of Duty games, it's still too early to tell but don't count on them getting very much smaller. What's in question is how much bigger they'll get with optimization versus game size & asset quality which is of course up to each developer to balance among other things.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya

We already have really good compression technology for most things and devs use it all the time. It just really can't be understated that since textures increase in size quadratically, the move to 4K textures as a standard has gotten us to the space we're roughly at. Unless devs start pushing 8k textures (doubtful imo), we should stay around where we're at for AAA filesizes for a fair while.

That being said, it does appear that we're going to get some file size reduction in the form of less need for data duplication since drive speeds are so fast now. I would say expect the same as last gen, and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised if they don't balloon like mad, haha.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if there is only two then tell me officially which two so that when i get it in 6 weeks, i have extra storage available. Once I install Demon Souls, Miles and spidey remake half of the internal storage is gone.

Those 2 are not officially compatible with PS5. They are just SSD for PC that (theoretically) meet Sony's requirement in terms of speed, but we do not know what other requirement that Sony's have to be compatible with PS5. As such we do not even know whether these 2 SSD are PS5 compatible.

Most likely these SSD manufacturers ain't going to prioritize making SSD for PS5. They will prioritize PC, and then collaborate with Sony to make them work on PS5. IMO you are unlikely to get any list until there are several more NVMe gen 4 SSD on PC.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I think as PS5 cold storage, external HDD support has to be a must. Especially since expansion SSD support is very minimal right now.

An SSD needs to be fast enough, and fit in the slot.
I'd imagine part of that requires some stress testing. Testing to ensure the SSD doesn't just reach the required speeds, but also ensure that it's sustainable.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
100GB? Holy shit if that is before the inveitable 10+GB Day 1 patch. While first parties seem to be keeping their files sizes down, Acitivision never got the memo.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Consoles shipping with low/insufficient storage probably won't convince physical only people to convert.

It wouldn't matter regardless. Physical games install entirely to the HDD and don't run directly from the discs. After the initial install the disc at that point is a verification check of ownership. This is also how it worked on the PS4 as well (Also on the XBO and XBSX)

And before someone asks "Is it a confirmed PS5 games don't run off the disc" A Bluray drive read speeds is even slower than a HDD, and these games were designed for the fast I/O of the PS5's SSD, so the only possible way to take advantage of this is if the games install fully to the SSD itself.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It wouldn't matter regardless. Physical games install entirely to the HDD and don't run directly from the discs. After the initial install the disc at that point is a verification check of ownership. This is also how it worked on the PS4 as well (Also on the XBO and XBSX)

And before someone asks "Is it a confirmed PS5 games don't run off the disc" A Bluray drive read speeds is even slower than a HDD, and these games were designed for the fast I/O of the PS5's SSD, so the only possible way to take advantage of this is if the games install fully to the SSD itself.
While absolutely true as all games require install, something that has changed between these generations also is Data Caps. Having data caps resrticts you wanting to get rid of big installs of digital copies of games just to free up space. Also having physical media to quickly swap in a game to install from disc while also downloading the patch could be a great alterative to buying an expansion drive or likely even more so when expansion drives fill up in a couple of years.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Any word if they will let you opt out of installing 4k assets to reduce install sizes? I don't have a 4k TV.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Any word if they will let you opt out of installing 4k assets to reduce install sizes? I don't have a 4k TV.
I dont think Sony has a process like that. I believe MS did that for the Xbox one x console but it might be "standard" on next gen. (Everyone downloads the same game file)

I think MS will still implement something like this for Smart Delivery on Xbox Series S though since the game detects hardware and just downloads the right system files. Sony on the other hand have 1 console spec'd line of consoles. Both SKUs should download the same file.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I never brought up digital downloads at all. So physical installs don't really have any relevance in regards to ISP data caps in the first place, the only exception is Day One patches and updates.

Also keep in mind for the PS4, the physical installed version of a game and a digital download version could not exist on the console at the same time. You cannot substitute one for the other. Install a game from the disc, if you buy a digital version later on. You required to redownload the game all over again.

I own physical copy of Ghost of Tsushima and I recently repurchased it to have a digital version from the current Generation Sale and tried to load the game up and it asks me to put in the Disc. Meaning you need to delete your current install and then re-download the entire game all over again for a Digital copy.

Both the data for the Physical and Digital versions of the game should be interchangeable and the only difference in this case is the verification of ownership. This is how it works for games on my Xbox One X at least.

I'd hope Sony corrects this issue with PS5 games. It's clear they can't do this with PS4 titles in regards to BC, but purchasing either a physical or digital version of the game the data should be the same and only upon initially loading does it check if you own the physical disc (it being in the drive) or a digital key. I don't know why they did it the way they did on the PS4.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
ps5_ssd_storage_21.jpg

This from Cerny's presentation is about as much as we have about expandibilty via external HDD. Kinda implies you can store a PS5 game on external, but not hard confirmed yet.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I never brought up digital downloads at all. So physical installs don't really have any relevance in regards to ISP data caps in the first place, the only exception is Day One patches and updates.

Also keep in mind for the PS4, the physical installed version of a game and a digital download version could not exist on the console at the same time. You cannot substitute one for the other. Install a game from the disc, if you buy a digital version later on. You required to redownload the game all over again.

I own physical copy of Ghost of Tsushima and I recently repurchased it to have a digital version from the current Generation Sale and tried to load the game up and it asks me to put in the Disc. Meaning you need to delete your current install and then re-download the entire game all over again for a Digital copy.

Both the data for the Physical and Digital versions of the game should be interchangeable and the only difference in this case is the verification of ownership. This is how it works for games on my Xbox One X at least.

I'd hope Sony corrects this issue with PS5 games. It's clear they can't do this with PS4 titles in regards to BC, but purchasing either a physical or digital version of the game the data should be the same and only upon initially loading does it check if you own the physical disc (it being in the drive) or a digital key. I don't know why they did it the way they did on the PS4.
I mean - you responded to a quote saying that low storage space will mean physical owners won't be likely to convert over. You said it wouldn't matter because all games require install. I replied saying that while i agree all games need to be installed regardless of being on physical media, data caps are likely another reason people might be keeping physical media going and slow the adoption of a digital machine. I also said that having a physical disc installing while simulatanously downloading any patches might become a better way to manage limited disc space then either fully downloading the game or feeling restricted due to data caps.

Where is the confusion?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I mean - you responded to a quote saying that low storage space will mean physical owners won't be likely to convert over. You said it wouldn't matter because all games require install. I replied saying that while i agree all games need to be installed regardless of being on physical media, data caps are likely another reason people might be keeping physical media going and slow the adoption of a digital machine. I also said that having a physical disc installing while simulatanously downloading any patches might become a better way to manage limited disc space then either fully downloading the game or feeling restricted due to data caps.

Where is the confusion?

The subject in question entirely on the basis of usable storage.

A physical PS5 game that takes up 70GB to install is no different then the same digital version also taking up 70GB to install. Digital or Physical doesn't matter which is entirely my point.

The context already exists in the post I quoted

Consoles shipping with low/insufficient storage probably won't convince physical only people to convert.

Which is why I brought up the point that physical or digital doesn't matter. You aren't saving any sort of storage space being a physical only user because Physical games also take up the same amount of space.

My entire point had nothing to do with downloads but entirely to do with actual space used on the SSD.

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Does the PS5 play PS4 games? I'm not sure I'm clear on this. Can you put in a PS4 physical game and play it on the PS5?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA