• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I thought making this thread was a good idea to answer these questions and inform people to not buy the PS5 disc release if they care about consistent performance.

PS4 Pro backwards compatibility version on PS5 gives you:

- slightly softer image quality (1800p checkerboarding)
- rock solid locked 60 fps (except maybe some later areas)
- less grass vegetation, but also less pop-in (next-gen grass fades in a few metres in front of the player)
- slightly lower shadow quality and ambient occlusion settings
- 10 second loading time instead of 7 seconds (from menu to in-game). See here for a comparison after death, only 1-2 seconds difference! (thanks, Knight in Shining Armani!)
- there is no DualSense haptic support in the PS5 version, so you are not missing any
- there is save transfer from PS4 to PS5, so you can switch later if VRR is implemented or game is patched. You cannot go back to PS4 from PS5!

PS4 version on PS5 is ONLY possible with digital version or PS4 disc, PS5 disc version is NOT supported!
There is only one digital version for both PS4 and PS5 on PSN, so it is not possible to buy the wrong digital version, don't worry!

Regarding future patches to improve the performance of the PS5 version: From Software has a very poor history of improving performance of their console games to locked 30/60 (see Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro). It is thus very likely that you have to wait a few years until PS5 Pro or PS6 comes along. Maybe if the internet shitstorm is large enough this time, we are in luck…

Comparison thanks to Nooblet
PS5 in performance mode
ELDEN-RING-20220225125713.png

PS4
ELDEN-RING-20220225125822.png

For a loading time comparison and more screenshots, see here:
Loading time comparison

Last edited:

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Man, the sony implementation of this is so terribly annoying. Smart delivery is such a simple idea...

I think the point is that the only way to play the game at a locked 60 is by using the PS4 version/disc.

Smart Delivery specifically prohibits this as you can not manually choose the Xbox One version.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Praise the dumb delivery.

I'm going PS4 Pro BC on PS5 without hesitation when I pick up my copy today at Best Buy. I gave the PC version a trial run, but it was a shit show.

Elem

Oct 27, 2017
Can you transfer a save from PS5 to PS4 also?
I want to try it on PS5 first but don't want to put too much time into it if I can't import my save to the PS4 version.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the sony implementation of this is so terribly annoying. Smart delivery is such a simple idea...

With smart delivery as it is on xbox now, you would not be able to download the Xbox one version, so there's actually some advantage if the native build is not the ideal one. For edge cases such as this, it's a positive.

Nonetheless, you would be right if I think what you're hinting at, but you need to add more context to your point if you don't want it to be misunderstood.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone was thanking Sony for dumb delivery yesterday.....

Man, the sony implementation of this is so terribly annoying.

Sony implementation of this is only reason this even is an option lol.

Some of you are missing this point:

Sony implementation of this is only reason this even is an option lol.

Looks like you missed the point entirely.

With smart delivery as it is on xbox now, you would not be able to download the Xbox one version, so there's actually some advantage.

Thank you.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It's infuriating that we're even having to do this with a game designed to run on a base PS4. They need to switch to a middleware engine or something because this shit is ridiculous. Elden Ring is not even particularly visually impressive.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
kinda insane to think that this is the only option out there right now to play this game on a solid framerate anywhere.
So the Pro version running on PS5 or is it the base PS4 version running on PS5?
PS4 Pro version. So 1800p checkerboard but framerate is improved to a supposedly locked 60.

Oct 27, 2017
Such a pity it's so poorly optimised. The PS5 version looks sharp as a tack.

It's to be expected though. To put it charitably, From have never been technical wizards.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'll consider it if the resolution hit isn't so bad, but I have the PS5 version downloaded for now and I can't see myself being too effected by the frame rate.

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
No dualsense features? That sounds like a first for a PS5 game. Is there any audio difference? I'm guessing no. Demons Souls remake had glorious audio.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
If Bloodborne was 20 to 30 fps and I enjoyed it. I think performance mode on ps5 will be fine for me at 45 to 60 fps.

But this does seem like a great choice for the *true* performance mode.

Luneth

Aug 5, 2020
Man, the sony implementation of this is so terribly annoying.
Better to have the choice just for cases like this one. In this particular circumstance, thanks to the "dumb delivery" (I discovered yesterday the name and I'm loving it) we will be able to play a most stable version.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Absolute banger thread. Playing the PS4 version on PS5 myself, and it's been perfectly, buttery smooth. I've yet to perceive even a single instance of the framerate dropping below 60. Feels like I'm completely bypassing the performance discourse, and everyone else's stuttering or dropped frame woes... because I am!

Not defending From on this one, because it truly is incredibly silly that this workaround is even necessary, but still... Elden Ring's PS4 version on PS5 is the gaming lifehack of the year.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Ordered a PS5 disc, I don't get how this is even a thing tbh. Every other cross gen game has run fine on PS5.

Anyway, i'll finish Forbidden West and hopefully this will get sorted in the mean time.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fuck sake. This is annoying. Coming from Horizon to the PS5 version of this is rough. I want 60 fps!

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I'll have to get the game later than I'd like but does this mean that if I'm getting it digitally, I should go for the PS4 version instead?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cool to know a game runs WORSE on my Next Gen system...

Fuck me for getting physical then.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm getting PS5 physical version since I'm a collector and wait for patch to fix this ( which I'm sure will happen soon ) because I'm too busy now anyway with Horizon FW and it will take me couple of weeks to finish it completely so by that time I'm sure some of the issues would have been fixed by then.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Some hope.

Regarding the phenomenon of frame rate and other performance-related issues during gameplayWe will be constantly working to improve the game so that it can be played comfortably on various PC environments and platforms.

en.bandainamcoent.eu

A message about some performance issues in ELDEN RING

Thank you very much for playing ELDEN RING and for your feedback. We are currently experiencing some issues that are preventing the game from playing properly under some conditions.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing you have to do this to get good performance for this game lol, this is one of the rare instances where dumb delivery is beneficial.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Surely this will be fixed in an update? I picked up my PS5 pre-order this morning and it's very annoying to hear that I'm getting a worse experience than those on PS4.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Smart Delivery specifically prohibits this as you can not manually choose the Xbox One version.
I don't have an Xbox, but that's kind of a huge oversight on Microsoft's part, isn't it? What if a current gen player specifically wants to play the last gen version, for co-op with a friend still on the old hardware, or for weird situations like this thread is about?

bert muscle

Aug 15, 2018
Yeah for those purchasing digital, don't worry. Just choose to download PS4 version after checkout.

Hoping it's the same PS4 Pro implementation that From used for Sekiro. That game looks great and runs like butter via same means on PS5!