• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
PS4 and PS5 version can play together online
  • modiz

Oct 8, 2018
    Are you sure about that? This was said pre launch:

Elden Ring cross-gen support

Elden Ring has what's known as "cross-gen" play, meaning those playing the game with someone in the same console family can do so together. If you're playing on Xbox One and your friend is on Xbox Series X, for instance, you can play together. The same rule also applies for those buying on PS5 and PS4. If you know your friend is getting the game on PS5 yet and you don't have one yet, you can plan on buying the PS4 version.

Elden Ring cross-play support

Elden Ring does not support full cross-play. If you are playing on a PlayStation system, you will only be able to play with other PlayStation users. The same goes for Xbox and PC, respectively.

Impressions 1
  • Irikan

Avenger
    Oct 25, 2017
    Yep, tried performance PS5 mode and then PS4 Pro on PS5... from the distance I'm at, the image is barely softer on my TV, and god it feels so good to have the game that perfectly smooth. The lower grass density sucks a little bit BUT comes with less pop ins and it's not like the ground looks barren on the PS4 Pro either, so you adjust pretty quickly and it still looks great. And considering you can save transfer to the PS5 version (not the opposite though), when or if they fix the PS5 version's performance, you can just switch then. I'm super glad this was an option because I tried the game on my PC and god what a shitty experience, awful port.

EDIT:
    Has anyone seen comparisons between native PS5 and PS4 on PS5 load times?
    That was one of my worries when switching to that version, but... from my mind counting, when I died, both were around 7sec, PS4 Pro version on PS5 was probably slightly longer. But it's def not a problem. I haven't tried fast travel yet since I still haven'T reached that point but it's probably not much longer. Really not something to worry about

Impressions 2
  • Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
    Yeah I am playing PS4 version on PS5 and it's great. The image is a bit softer, but the consistent framerate absolutely makes up for it. FROM has a great CB implementation. I highly, highly suggest it. You could tell me this was a native app and I'd believe you.

Load times are also short as well.

Trophy lists of PS4 and PS5 version are separate
  • Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
    I mean can i continue working on my platinum when i switch from ps4 version to ps5 later on, or do i have to start all over anyway?

They are separate trophy lists. Unfortunately, due to how they redid some backend stuff on PS5 trophies (lists for PS5 don't even show up on PSVita and PS3), there are no games where you have a united PS4 and PS5 list. Which is so unfortunate, since this seems to be the generation of people starting on one system and then moving to another, and a united list would be so much nicer, given it was a lot rarer on PS3 > PS4, which did support united lists.

Honestly just stick with the PS4 version. It's genuinely really good on PS5. The smoothness of the gameplay is so nice. Then if you ever want to visit it again, you could go for that second platinum, or maybe it let's you just pop them all on the PS5 version. I do know that it never works backwards unfortunately, which sucks.

4k comparison screenshots PS4 Pro vs. PS5
  • Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
    A quick comparison I did of the PS4 back compat and PS5 ver yesterday

PS5 in performance mode
    ELDEN-RING-20220225125713.png

PS4
    ELDEN-RING-20220225125822.png

Grass is basically the only obviously noticeable difference, though it's not that it's sparse on PS4, infact it's evenly spread out, instead it's rather a different kind of grass that doesn't exist on PS5. But unfortunately that comes with its own caveat as that grass on PS5 has noticeable pop in issues(another vid). PS5 ver may have ever so slightly better AO too though.

Last edited:
    Loading time comparison & screenshot comparison
  • Oct 30, 2017
    Later areas may still have performance fluctuations
  • dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
    Banned
    Oct 26, 2017
    some later areas become really choppy even when playing the ps4 version on ps5.