• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
Yes yes I know what you think, click-bait title and so, but please hear me out. First, let's take a look at the Playstations of old.

PS1: 3D graphics pioneer, not even the N64 could beat it for number of polygons pushed, bad-ass sound chip, first to introduce dual analog control
PS2: EE + GS combination had tremendous power for their time, competition took years to catch up, bandwidth monster, DVD drive (and player!) standard
PS3: Cell CPU/SPUs produced astonishing results when used properly, first console with Blu-ray drive built-in, first console with HDD installs, first console with HDMI standard
PS4: Almost 2 TF of GPU power (great for 2013), 8 GB of GDDR5 RAM !!! shocker

What does the PS5 bring compared to the competition? An SSD that is twice as fast, sure that's neat I guess but I doubt having 5 GB/s instead of 2.5 GB/s will transform the gaming experience. You can already fill your RAM in seconds, so..

Sometimes I feel that Cerny's talents are wasted in today's Sony, he could have done SO much more if he had been given greater freedom and budget ceiling to work with, surely I can't be the only one that feels PS5 is disappointing spec wise?

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if it's true that PS5 is not pushing the envelope. It is true, however, that Sony refuses to SHOW US how the PS5 is pushing the envelope.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This cannot be a real concern and if it is, it is highly misinformed.

You are vastly underestimating the BREAKTHROUGH IO custom flash solution in conjunction with the SSD.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Didn't know Cerny was being held back forcibly by Sony.

Oh wait that's nonsense

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
10tf RDNA2 in 2020 is better than 2tf GCN in 2013. Not to mention the SSD.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
giphy.gif

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
You're talking at best a 20% difference with its competitor when it comes to GPU power.
Slightly lower resolution or framerate. You weren't going to get a difference in term of games possible.
Instead of being native 4k, your game will be 1800p, if not higher.

Edit: Also the Cerny cult of personnality is downright embarassing on this board.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Isn't the SSD something like ~40x faster than that in the PS4? Seems pretty impressive to me in that respect.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Ps1 and ps2 want to have a word with you... the ps3 marketing really made a weird impact in gaming culture where people believe sony always tried to have top notch gaming console...

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I'd definitely say that they are pushing the envelope again with their SSD and Tempest audio. Even their CPU and GPU are beastly. We are in for a treat this upcoming generation no matter which console you decide to buy.

So no, Can't say I agree at all.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
The SSD, 3D Audio and haptic feedback seem pretty ambitious to me but I remember a lot of posts around 2013 from people claiming similar about the PS4 not feeling "next gen" enough so it's funny to hear it being described as envelope pushing in hindsight.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
My post from last December:

www.resetera.com

Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT8| - The Dark Tower (See Staff Post)

Just want to calibrate expectations based on last gen. When the PS4 / XB1 launched the top of the line AMD gpu was the 290x at ~5.6 teraflops. XB1 was 23.3% of that PS4 was 32.9% of that. When the PS5 / Xsx launches, I expect the top of the line AMD GPU to be 16.4 TF. This time around we're...

When the PS4 / XB1 launched the top of the line AMD gpu was the 290x at ~5.6 teraflops.

XB1 was 23.3% of that
PS4 was 32.9% of that.

When the PS5 / Xsx launches, I expect the top of the line AMD GPU to be 16.4 TF.

This time around we're getting 56%-75% of the top of the line AMD GPU. Applied retroactively it would have been a 3.1TF, and 4.2TF back in 2013. MisterXMedia would have died happily overfapping.

The Lockhart SKU that is so maligned here is actually in line with what the XB1 / PS4 were in 2013.

23.3% of 16.4TF is 3.8TF
32.9% of 16.4TF is 5.4TF

Oct 26, 2017
PS4: Almost 2 TF of GPU power (great for 2013), 8 GB of DDR5 RAM !!! shocker

There was nothing great with PS4 hardware in 2013, even the 8 GB DDR5 RAM didn't do much, in fact, this whole gen was not great at all.

Compared to PS3 and Xbox 360 at their time, both PS4 and Xbox One were pretty bad consoles hardware-wise.

Both PS5 and XSX are actually way way impressive than expected, can't say the same with PS4 and Xbox One back in 2012/2013.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Whilst you have a point to an extent I think you're massively underestimating the effect of the SSD especially on the first party output.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sometimes I feel that Cerny's talents are wasted in today's Sony,

erm...he's not a full time sony employee but merely a freelancing contract staff. He will not be there if he doesn't want to. With his talent, experience and connection, he can probably go anywhere he wants so please don't write it as he's 'trapped' in Sony or something.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
PS5 is pushing the envelope way more than the PS4 did in 2013 (Just look at the Jaguar CPU for starters).

The SSD is a game changer in the PS5, I would argue there wasn't really anything 'game changing' in the PS4 when it launched.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
WTF is wrong with these people. The only thing they do is starring into numbers and judge them. Why could you not wait the first games and see how the games running or looking. God damn, this is getting so annoying. It's so childish. Just *think*.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, it feels like it is. I'm excited, and I really really hope PC focus on super fast SSDs too. I can't wait to see what PS devs come up with.

G_Zero

alt account
Banned
Mar 19, 2019
The PS5 SSD is literally unique, and faster than anything you can buy right now. That doesn't count?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
What? Delete this.
The PS4 was the safest console from Sony. The PS5 is Sony is the opposite of that.
I'll leave it at that.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
This is getting embarassing. What is it with this board and the PS5 hot takes? Why can't we just be excited that 2 consoles are coming out and both have different exciting propositions? Would it really have been better to have 2 exact same machines just with different exclusives? I'm way more excited about seeing what developers will do with the SSD and all it entails on one hand and to see what sort of beautiful ray-tracing we got on the xbox on the other hand, these are both amazing machines, can't we just be happy?

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't worry if I were you. We have seen nothing from what it is capable of. We don't know anything about its gaming performance or just how big of a change an ssd will bring to the table.

Wait a little and have faith.

On a side note, the existence of your concerns just reinforces my opinion about just how bad Sony is marketing the PS5 so far.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Why are people arguing diminishing returns when it comes to a SSD that is 120% faster than the competition but forget all about dimishing returns when it comes to a 15% difference in compute power?

I don't understand. Sure, these two things are vastly different but both have to deal with diminishing returns.

Oct 26, 2017
And i don't know why people to this day, think PS4 pushed some envelop or had some "game-changing" features lol

We played the same games (gameplay-wise) that were available on PS3 and Xbox 360 with better graphics and that's it, really lol

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on people...

At least wait for a few exclusive games to compare what you're getting from each console.

As someone with a 2080ti graphics card i totally get wanting the most powerful system but man 1-2 TFT aren't nearly as revolutionary as a whole system build around speed.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Imagine not being excited for the new prospects that an SSD will bring. Lighten up, come on.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Not pushing the envelope? The PS5 SSD has a raw speed that is 129% faster than the XSX SSD. It can reach peak numbers that are 226% higher than XSX. You literally won't be able to buy anything like this for your PC in the next few years, meaning that devs might recommend at least 32 GB RAM for PC ports if you want PS5 equivalent settings. The SSD in the PS5 is insane.

Sakashima

Mar 28, 2018
I think you have it backwards OP. The PS4 was more conservative, less innovative back in 2013 than the PS5 will be when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.