RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I was here...

giphy.gif

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Ryan, the new Don Mattrick? Honestly Jim should just fuck off as he does more harm than good. His whole "we believe in console generations" comment is really biting him in the ass as we learn that several BIG games will be on the PS4 and then they doubled down on it today saying they plan to support the PS4 for years. Will be interesting to see if God of War is also cross gen. I personally don't have an issue with cross gen, but the messaging was all about shitting on Xbox for doing it, yet you knew the whole time you would be doing it as well. Also..who holds a controller like this!?
00h1RF.jpg

A person posing for a picture taking at that angle highlighting the controller might hold a controller like that, but IDK.

You seem a little too upset.

But yes, MS are being a lot more consumer friendly.

Oct 27, 2017
The Sony pre-order sign up was only for orders from their website. It had nothing to do with preordering from other retailers like Walmart. They're already sending out links via email.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that my PS4 controllers are now obsolete is a slap in the face to fans.
they aren't obsolete. You can use them on PS5 to play ps4 games and use them on your PS4, PS3, and PC. And as a Bluetooth controller on mobile I think. I wish PS5 controller played PS4 games on the system but yeah.
Between the digital and the S, we are seeing the end of physical copies, I'd expect the next gen to omit discs all together.
I hope not. With games going up in price we will need selling and trading games more than ever. Good luck buying Forza and Tony Hawk games 3-4 years after release if they're digital only one day and delisted due to licensing.
Ok so you have me sign up to be the first to get in on the new console..but then you don't send me anything and then you let Walmart completely decimate your pre order plans. EPIC FAIL.
this sucks for sure but Sony told retailers tomorrow, retailers went ahead. I'm not sure what they could've done. They can fine them j guess but retailers need this boost due to 2020 so I'm sure they don't care about any penalty Sony could impose. And Sony needs them, I'm surprised they even want to sell Digital model in stores at all.
His whole "we believe in console generations" comment is really biting him in the ass as we learn that several BIG games will be on the PS4 and then they doubled down on it today saying they plan to support the PS4 for years.
this is no different from all Ps consoles before. Ps2 got games after Ps3, Ps3 got games after PS4, etc. they can still believe in gens (GT7, Ratchet, etc) and support last gen. This isn't shocking or surprising and this is like the 3rd of 4th time Sony has done this.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I support both consoles, but can we not talk about shitty things companies do? I mean yes Microsoft wants our money, but they are providing a lot of cheap opportunities and not forcing gamers to buy new controllers.
Because Microsoft has a different strategie than Sony. Just like Nintendo has a different one.
All three are out for your money. All three aren't nice guys / your friends. They are companies and they want your cash.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
The dust has settled lol?

The whole premise of this thread is console warring.

Mar 8, 2018
I support both consoles, but can we not talk about shitty things companies do? I mean yes Microsoft wants our money, but they are providing a lot of cheap opportunities and not forcing gamers to buy new controllers.
I mean, and I'm saying this as someone with a Game Pass subscription, the long tail outcome of Microsoft's strategy is horrifically anti-consumer because it inevitably squeezes out ownership, permanence, and preservation in favor of subscription, impermanence, and price control. They're framing it as a deal to get people used to it.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Pick the plan that works for you. Phil is my dude and I'm onboard, but no right or wrong when choosing how to spend your fun money.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Jim Ryan is definitely not the new Don Mattrick. Just watch any Microsoft E3 after Mattrick took over and compare it to a non-Don E3 and it will become extremely apparent. Mattrick was responsible for the XB1 focusing on TV, Kinect, and no used games.

EDIT: He's probably also the reason why Microsoft pushed micro-transactions at the start of the generation as well.
Let's take everything good about 360 and not do that.

- Don Mattrick

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I have to admit it was genius of Sony to let Microsoft take flack for cross-gen games for a year only to later reveal they're actually making more cross-gen games than MS is.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I really hate this word. Buuuut

Ms strategy is that it was always your choice. Here's your games. Here's are all devices we support here are the upcoming devices. Play wherever and whenever you want.

Sony strategy was the old paradigm where they dictate the platform you should play the games in order to move faster to a new gen. Nothing wrong with that too, but Ms forced their hand in pricing so they needed to react and keep the ps4 user base active instead of moving to a 299 console was one of these reactions.

The gist here is that it's always a business move on both strategies. Whether it suited them or not, but they are doing it because of their business interests and nothing else.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I want to play Microsoft games on the go via a hybrid model like Nintendo offer. It is convenient and allows me to free up the family TV. They do not offer this. Is this anti-consumer?

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
I've heard that being the company with most first party cross-gen title means being consumer-friendly, isn't this the case anymore?
Also OP talked about the controller, but for some reason forgot to mention the storage expansions

nofriendo

Jun 4, 2019
A lot of people talk about Game Pass as if it costs nothing. Its between 120 and 180 quid so its value only comes from whether you use it to that amount.

Sony think they can get your money via game sales and MS think they can get your money through subscriptions.

OP
OP
KrAzEd

KrAzEd

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Sony isn't really being anti-consumer, just pro-profit. They aren't the same thing.

Forcing gamers to purchase new controllers is anti consumer, there is no way around it. Especially when you have been touting that the controllers use features that the old cannot which is why new games won't be able to use the PS4 controllers. BUT wait, you can use PS4 controllers to play them just not on PS5. It is bullshit. They could make PS4 controllers work on PS5 with a firmware update, but they won't.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit it was genius of Sony to let Microsoft take flack for cross-gen games for a year only to later reveal they're actually making more cross-gen games than MS is.
Genius...? After the shitstorm that they're running into today and yesterday? It makes them look super dishonest.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
What a embarrassing ass thread. People really don't know what anti Consumer means.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Yeah this thread title is asking for trouble. Two different business models, opinion will sway you to one or the other. Doesn't need to be said so condescendingly.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
As someone also going Series X, let's not start thinking Microsoft is just our buddy and they want us to have a good time. They lost a lot of market share this generation, and they're trying to claw their way back. The whole pro-consumer thing is an angle they're exploiting right now. Now, I'm absolutely going to take advantage of this angle while it persists, but that doesn't mean things can't shift. We saw the same thing with Sony this gen. They did fine with the PS3, but it wasn't the success they wanted... So they played the "pro-consumer" card in a time when everyone was mad at Microsoft, and now they're creeping closer to "arrogant Sony" once again.

All these companies just want your money. They're just applying different strategies to get it. We don't need to fight their battles for them.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If €300 for the S is amazing value for what you get then PS5 Digital for just €100 more must be out of this stratosphere on value for what you are getting.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I mean, I can't disagree with any of that as a Sony/PC/Microsoft/Nintendo gamer.

Nintendo is worse than Sony on this, but I'd say Sony is Second. $400 for the PS5 digital is a great price, and I'm glad it's not as expensive as the better hardware in the Series X. Makes sense.

I'm selling my PS4 and controller due to there being no reason to keep either. I'm keeping all my Xbox controllers except for 1 I may sell.

I'm thinking people that aren't cross console/hardware gamers may not like this OP though.

SAKY

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Just remember, competition is good. The only time either of these two are doing anything "for gamers" it is because they are trying to grow their market share.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Jim Ryan is definitely not the new Don Mattrick. Just watch any Microsoft E3 after Mattrick took over and compare it to a non-Don E3 and it will become extremely apparent. Mattrick was responsible for the XB1 focusing on TV, Kinect, and no used games.

EDIT: He's probably also the reason why Microsoft pushed micro-transactions at the start of the generation as well.
Don Mattrick Famously Said this:

none of these companies are forcing anyone to upgrade immediately now and that should be great to everyone.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
just jumping in here to reserve a spot in a locked thread. Console wars are a sight to behold lol.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Forcing gamers to purchase new controllers is anti consumer, there is no way around it. Especially when you have been touting that the controllers use features that the old cannot which is why new games won't be able to use the PS4 controllers. BUT wait, you can use PS4 controllers to play them just not on PS5. It is bullshit. They could make PS4 controllers work on PS5 with a firmware update, but they won't.
what do you think about proprietary storage expansion?

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of people talk about Game Pass as if it costs nothing. Its between 120 and 180 quid so its value only comes from whether you use it to that amount.

Sony think they can get your money via game sales and MS think they can get your money through subscriptions.
180 bucks is three full-priced games (or what used to be full-priced). With the amount of games Game Pass let's me play, I've recouped this investment in like two months. It's fantastic. It honestly felt a little weird not paying a single dollar for games like Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4, yet that's a reality for me. And it's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.