• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I want to temper some expectations for people because I went into it expecting to love it and was left kind of under whelmed. It's not a bad game by any means, but I wouldn't consider it higher than some of the more popular scifi anime as fuck games like 999/vlr, steins;gate or even somnium personally. The art style is straight bitchin though and blows most games out in a way only vanillaware can.

The Gameplay aspects of it, for me, is better than I expected, but also does feel a bit like a slog to get through after you do enough of them. The sound effects for the attacks has some of the best oomph I can immediately think of in a game though, so there's that.

In the end, I only really got attached to a couple of the 13 protagonists (ogata is the best for sure) and I think it might have been due, in part, to the structure of the game where each character really doesn't get a whole lot of time for characterization and to breathe.

(light vague character spoilers) also all of these characters are thirsty af which I didn't think would bother me, but multiple characters can basically be boiled down to that, so it bothered me a bit

I'd say it's still worth $30 for sure and the overall plot is rather interesting to uncover as you go on, but I think I went in with my expectations a little too high unfortunately.

Last edited:

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
It's currently my GOTY, and will likely end up in the Top 3 for 2020.

Please buy it if you have even the teeniest bit of interest!

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
Bought it.

Also, secondary FYI, Sakura Wars is $30 on Best Buy too. That's the cheapest I remember seeing it.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
It cancelled in the cart, apparently they can't ship it anymore and only in store pickup(and of course zero carry it)?

Bummer, too slow lol. Hopefully goes on sale via psn soon

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the few times I'm not upset about having paid full priced at release. Please buy this game if you've enjoyed any of Vanillaware games in the past or enjoy Visual Novels. It really is amazing.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Went ahead and got it, but my PS5 is having a lot of issues so I may not get to actually play it for awhile

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Had this on my christmas list, but suspect my family might pass over it in favor of the other more recognizable games like Miles Morales/Sackboy/Mario lol. So went ahead and bought this with my $5 reward certificate, will jut return it if I end up getting it for Christmas from someone (or perhaps pass it forward to a friend for christmas).

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Sucks that it isn't $30 digitally, would've asked a US friend to grab it for me. Damn Canada

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
okay. I'll get it.

Want to see the big deal, sounds fascinating. Could use a reason to use my PS4 since FFVIIR

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I saw this last night but decided to pass for now since I am already playing Yakuza and AC Valhalla and have no time for it (bought both new consoles so have a few other games to play as well). Will try and snag this in the future though based on how many positive things I've heard.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
It sold out both online and in-store when it was in my cart this morning

Really was hoping I wouldn't have to get this through Gamestop

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I went into this game mostly blind and had middling expectations. Wound up being one of my favorite games of the generation. It's worth every penny of it's $59.99 asking price, so $29.99 is a steal.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you missed the sales its still 100% worth it full price.

Honestly having a hard time choosing this or FFVIIR as my GOTY.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
What a steal, still my GOTY. It basically functions as an homage to so much high-concept sci-fi Hollywood and anime from the 80s-- I loved just pointing out the references.

That being said, I really think if this game would have released on Switch and PC, it would have found a much stronger audience in the West.

bodine1231

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Amazing game. Fantastic story that actually wraps up nicely. I usually don't like these types of games but I'm a giant Vanillaware fan and gave it a shot,glad I did.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
What a steal, still my GOTY. It basically functions as an homage to so much high-concept sci-fi Hollywood and anime from the 80s-- I loved just pointing out the references.

That being said, I really think if this game would have released on Switch and PC, it would have found a much stronger audience in the West.
Yeah, when I first saw footage of this game I was about to immediately go get it on Switch... then found out it was PS4 exclusive.
From what I understand the game was in development limbo for a loooong time (wasn't a Vita version planned originally?) so it wouldn't be the easiest thing to completely move consoles or add a port, seems like it was a bit of a miracle it came out at all.

If I can find it for $30 on BF somewhere I think I'll still get it. Even if I don't play my PS4 games much these days, I can always remote play it to my iPad or phone.

I'm not the biggest anime fan and haven't played a visual novel ever (maybe if stuff like Phoenix Wright counts), but the tower defense like action parts look really cool and I do like the concept of the story a lot.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Snagged the last copy at a Best Buy 10 miles from me. Thanks for the heads up! Always wanted to play this game this to ERA and it's also sakurai approved. :)

Edit: too good to be true as Best Buy cancelled my order. Hoping more copies come in next week!

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Yeah, when I first saw footage of this game I was about to immediately go get it on Switch... then found out it was PS4 exclusive.
From what I understand the game was in development limbo for a loooong time (wasn't a Vita version planned originally?) so it wouldn't be the easiest thing to completely move consoles or add a port, seems like it was a bit of a miracle it came out at all.

Yes, there was a Vita version originally announced. Normally, I think it would be in true vanillaware fashion for them to release a next-gen version ported to all platforms with a few new sequences at full retail price. I don't think the game has sold quite like Odin Sphere or Dragon's Crown to guarantee that though, sadly.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I came back today with a different browser and successfully created an account, but now it's sold out

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, there was a Vita version originally announced. Normally, I think it would be in true vanillaware fashion for them to release a next-gen version ported to all platforms with a few new sequences at full retail price. I don't think the game has sold quite like Odin Sphere or Dragon's Crown to guarantee that though, sadly.
Yeah, I had the same thought.

Seems like it has all the makings of a cult classic, but maybe not enough to risk dev costs for porting it, so I want to get it now just in case.

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
Well I wasn't paying attention about this game... I have enjoyed somewhat VanillaWare games (though the gameplay is a bit repetitive.. never finished Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir)

Now it's sold out. Maybe that's a sign that I don't need to play it lol

Beautiful visuals though: looking at the EZA review - https://youtu.be/5rhTnDROzi0