Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
No real issues playing on XSX, personally. I think I crashed like once the whole game (completed it 100% too). I will say they seem very…slow with the patches. Heck that bounty Hunter glitch was around for like a month which IMO is a little unacceptable.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Finished it on Series X last week. It's an enjoyable game but yeah, it runs like shit still and probably always will. I think I had maybe 5 or 6 crashes total and the way the save system works can make those crashes really, really hurt. There are also moments where the game is really struggling, and you can actually tell the crash is coming and it definitely sucks some enjoyment from the game.

Wasn't enough to put me off the game and I even got all the achievements but the performance really is unacceptable, especially for a game of that caliber.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I was going to go for a platinum but the game either crashed, and eventually had a glitched trophy. Once I had one glitched trophy, I'm done.

Nov 5, 2017
Man, I am glad that Nixxes saved us PC gamers with some excellent ports to tide us over - I am currently enjoying Spider-Man: Miles Morales and Ratchet and Klank: A Rift Apart and both games are running flawlessly on my rig. If it wasn't for Nixxes, I would've be bummed that I couldn't be playing this game on my PC as it was high on my wishlist when it was first announced.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing on XSX with the 30fps cap and it's mostly fine - some culling flashes and bad drops in small, specific areas of Koboh but otherwise fine. No crashes for me yet and I'm a few planets in. Just unlocked the green barriers. Is that before where people are experiencing crashes?
I do miss the solid 60fps from Fallen Order, it made the game much easier

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised to hear this. My experience was not terrible, I really enjoyed most of it, but the performance issue with framerate towards the end annoyed me too much and I just stopped.
One of the few games I played in quality mode after it was the recommended mode from digital foundry. It seemed stable enough at 30fps. It sounded like performance mode was definitely a different story.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
considering the success of the original, I really thought EA would let the devs finish the game this time around

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
A damn shame, I was looking forward to playing it after the first game, not sure I'll ever touch it. Is it possible there will be even less effort put into polish with the third game due to this one selling like hotcakes despite performance issues?

Praying Motive won't screw up with hypothetical Dead Space 2 remake and stutter-fest will spare me. First one was abandoned just like SW, but at least they fixed game-breaking bugs...

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Is it this broken on PC? Would it run OK-ish on a 4070? :\

Oct 27, 2017
Really glad i used my brother's EA acess to play cuz if i had played this full price i would be pisssed
Its such a good game. One of the best ive played but its held back by how broken it is. Its sad really

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I ended up buying used copy for $40CAD the other day. For that price, I can deal with the major levels of jank this game has, even in fidelity mode. There was no way I was going to give EA $100CAD for another glitchy game. The first one felt like it was being held together with scotch tape on the PS4. I wait four months before I went back to it, and it was still a mess.

In other words, I wouldn't hope for some miraculous patch to fix this. They didn't fix the first one, so I'd assume the same here.

Remember that when they're asking you to preorder the third installment.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Is it this broken on PC? Would it run OK-ish on a 4070? :\
This is one of those games that in my friend circle either had people with zero issues and generally smooth performance (outside of the sad expectations these days of shader comp stutter) or who just kept getting the most annoying bugs and crashes.

For the record, I had only 1 major issue (raytracing) and it's currently my GOTY (7600x / 4080 @ 4K). I played at launch for a total of about 60-70 hours and only had a couple of repeatable crashes at the exact same scripted sequence that were being caused by raytracing and only very mild bugs, outside of that nothing. Performance was not where I wanted it to be, but it was still very playable and even the shader stutter didn't really bother me. I think my biggest issue was probably the lack of DLSS and the buggy implementation of Ray Tracing. FSR2 is still just not quite there, but I did play a decent amount with it on in the more performance heavy areas and the experience was tolerable even as an IQ snob, but there really were some areas of the game where no matter what other settings I had on if I had ray tracing enabled I was 100% going to crash (a particularly sandy on rails mounted section comes to mind) which is a shame as I really think RT makes a pretty decent improvement to the way the game looks.

(Do note that I do think some of my experience is tinted with the rose coloured glasses of being a High Republic era dork who this game catered to, to a T - but even taking that into account I was expecting a lot worse in terms of experience than what I ended up dealing with.)

On the other hand I had friends at launch crashing every couple of hours, quest breaking bugs, one had their save corrupted a few hours in, general severe stutter and culling issues etc etc. Whilst I am glad I had basically zero issues, it really released in a unacceptable state and I'm glad most of my friends who were having such severe issues were playing via EA PlayPro and didn't shell out 100AUD for the experience of getting kicked in the teeth. It's really odd, I only know a single person that experienced 'moderate bugginess and performance issues', everyone else was either smooth sailing or absolutely hating existence - take that for what you will.

There has been several patches which have made things better, but there is still a tonne of work to do on the game so it really will be a YMMV situation if you decide to pick it up. Roll the dice and hope you don't snake eyes, or just leave it to hopefully cook for as long as Respawn want's to support it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It's weird how random it is. I didn't get no crashes on my run on PS5 but it was a stuttering mess with a few odd glitches here and there. Did play on fidelity through.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet it got rave reviews and will probably win a ton of year end awards.

But yep, it's fucking broken.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I'm amazed that they're already working on a third game even after all the issues instead of just focusing everything on the current problems.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta love how critics decide to dock points for technical issues just whenever it's convenient or when they feel like it. No consistency at all.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Don't play this with performance mode on console. The performance is far smoother and consistent without it, and the image quality is leagues better with it off.

Performance mode honestly shouldn't have even been included on consoles.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Sad that Respawn has left the game in such a poor state when EA asked them if they needed more time with it. Then still 4 months later those performance patches never appeared and silence from the studio.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
glad i didnt jump on this game at launch, i liked the first one, but i had a bad feeling about this

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
everyone: it's broken

that one dude who never crashed coming in to tell everyone it's actually fine:
mikeohearn.gif

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fallen Order was never really fixed so I wouldn't hold your breath
haha yep I still see Cal walking inside the ground in a certain part.
Broken is such a strong word for an 85 MC title.

Are the reviewers just useless at informing the issues or they simply can't be trusted?
www.resetera.com

There needs to be a heavier focus by reviewers on technical issues

For the past few years, there have been so many shoddy PC ports and not enough coverage by the media highlighting all these issues. It shouldn't just be Alex Battaglia, a few people on Twitter, and maybe Gamer's Nexus talking about these issues. Jedi Survivor was released in an unacceptable...

Look at all the posts in this thread carrying water for the reviewers who are giving games like this a pass

Last edited:

oty

Feb 28, 2023
everyone: it's broken

that one dude who never crashed coming in to tell everyone it's actually fine:
mikeohearn.gif
worst part is, he still says it crashes, just like in an interval of X hours as if that's remotely fine lmao. imagine if your car failed at every 30 miles lmfao

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
I wanted to check it out on PC during my PTO because I still have Origin credits left and could buy a month's worth of EA Access Pro or whatever it is called.
Thiiiis thread and DF directs where they're talking about the game's post-launch patch support makes me hesitate ...

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Broken is such a strong word for an 85 MC title.

Are the reviewers just useless at informing the issues or they simply can't be trusted?
Its possible that the reviewers didn't experience bugs that strongly impacted their experience. I know that I didn't. When the game goes out to 150 reviewers (or whatever) it's possible that a particular low-reproduction rate bug might affect 0 of those players, however when the game is released in the wild to millions of players, that same bug might affect thousands of users because the sample size is so much larger, so naturally those complaints will bubble up more.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
PSA - Jedi Fallen Order is Still a Broken Game

Respawn need new technical engineers.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Yes well I blame this forum who consistently said it was worth enduring the issues because it was such a good game. Hmm.

Looks like I'll be playing it on PS6 just like I could only enjoy the last on PS5.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers likely have pretty good rigs that lessen some of the issues. I don't think its this one game in particular where performance gets glossed over though, because it happens with games on all platforms.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is a shame, with the atmos PS5 update I was looking forward to finally starting this, I guess I'll at least wait for that next patch they promised. And hope it doesn't break more things.

Anyone able to report on whether the resolution mode crashes less than the performance mode? I'm planning to play resolution mode anyway and it seems like most of the crash stories in here are from performance mode.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
You think that literally all reviewers are incompetent's and also in EA's pocket or something? Don't be silly, please.

Reviewers downplay or omit technical issues. Reasons:

- They are not methodical enough to identify them all
- they put false hopes in the developer's promise regarding the day 1 patch
- they assume that the failures suffered will not be a general problem
- they are afraid of angering the publisher and that they will not send them more games to review
- They consider that they should focus only on graphic aspects, history or gameplay
- A combination of the above

therefore, they are not a reliable source for technical problems

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Reviewers likely have pretty good rigs that lessen some of the issues. I don't think its this one game in particular where performance gets glossed over though, because it happens with games on all platforms.
Rig has nothing to do with it and has been tirelessly proven over and over again. This isn't even isolated to PC, this is also PS5.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I am finally getting stuck into it and...yeah. It's got some of the most erratic frametime swings I've seen in a recent game. Even at lower fps, let's say 30 - 35, it's amazing how one scene at this rate can feel smooth and responsive, yet another scene at the exact same fps can feel jittery and unresponsive.

I've also noticed that alphas really slaughter performance, especially stuff like smoke, fog, mist, gas, etc. I was testing it was the vents in the opening level. Soon as you see smoke coming out of a vent, swing the camera around/into it and performance drops pretty significantly. Which, if I'm right, is a problem given how regularly (like most games) alphas are used for effects during combat.

I recently went through Dead Space remake, which also has its share of problems, but this is markedly worse.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Rig has nothing to do with it and has been tirelessly proven over and over again. This isn't even isolated to PC, this is also PS5.

I thought this was the PC thread, since PC ports have been getting shafted a lot. The first game also had reviewers seemingly glossing over all the insane bugs that game had.