bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but best buys warranty covers burn in (the only warranty that does)
I just looked it up and you are right. Costco changed their return policy on televisions.

We just returned treadmill that would turn off after 30 minutes. And we were incredibly lazy about it. We did it after 6 months and did the most half ass job of taking it apart. Yet they took it back and gave me a full refund.

If Best Buy covers burn in then I am going there. Thanks for the advice!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent. Im going to price match and throw the $250 towards the 5 year warranty (i bought the 2 year warranty at the time).

If you all have the space and can go for the 77", go for it. Im about 11ft away from mine. Its an incredible viewing experience, and I upgraded from a 65" B6.
Seconding this - I sit about 11ft away from my 77" as well, and went from a 65" set. The difference in scale, especially for film/filmic TV is...very noticeable.

I was also able to do my Best Buy price match via the online chat, no issues.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
DTS is a lossy audio format that is the counterpart to Dolby Digital. It had an advantage over Dolby Digital where it allowed higher bitrates. Sony allowed you to choose whether you wanted Dolby Digital or DTS as a bitstream output for game audio on the PS4. DTS is also widely used on DVDs and Blu-rays.

DTS-HD MA is a lossless audio format that is the counterpart to Dolby TrueHD. It's most commonly used on Blu-rays as the audio format.

DTS:X is a 3D object based audio format that is comparable to Dolby Atmos. This is commonly used in UHD Blu-rays, but Atmos has much more support for it at the moment.

ARC allows you to connect devices to your TV through HDMI and then the audio can be passed on to a receiver or soundbar over the HDMI ARC port. ARC was limited to lossy audio only (DTS, Dolby Digital) or 2.0 LPCM.

eARC is part of the HDMI 2.1 standard, although some devices have implemented it without having HDMI 2.1, which is an upgrade over ARC. This allowed for all the lossless formats that ARC didn't allow (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA, LPCM 7.1).

The problem with the CX is LG stopped paying for the license to process DTS, DTS-HD MA, and DTS:X. This means any device plugged in to your TV cannot pass those audio formats over ARC or eARC. The C9 allowed this but the CX doesn't. A work around is often that a device can decode the DTS track to LPCM. If you set it to do that before sending it to the TV, then the TV will just receive LPCM sound which then will work over eARC. It might be a problem if your audio device only has ARC though since you can't pass 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM through it.
Ok so if I listen to my games either through wired headphones (stereo) or TV audio, it seems like this mostly won't affect me.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Seconding this - I sit about 11ft away from my 77" as well, and went from a 65" set. The difference in scale, especially for film/filmic TV is...very noticeable.

I was also able to do my Best Buy price match via the online chat, no issues.

We are about 10 feet away from the TV and are worried it will be too large but both of your anecdotes are settling that a bit.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so if I listen to my games either through wired headphones (stereo) or TV audio, it seems like this mostly won't affect me.

Most likely not, but it could if you had a DTS source and didn't have the means to convert it because the sound format would just result in no audio. Chances are, you probably won't encounter it though or won't have a means to convert it.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
We are about 10 feet away from the TV and are worried it will be too large but both of your anecdotes are settling that a bit.
I believe Smokey has talked about this a bit before, but 77" at that distance is a lot of a visual information, especially for games. If I were a Competitive Gamer™, I probably would feel that I wasn't able to see the edges of the screen as quickly as with a smaller set.

Since I'm but a lowly casul, it's fantastic. Played a bunch of Forza Horizon 4 over the weekend, and the scale/speed of that much landscape zipping by, etc, was a big change from my 65".

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Is the Allstate Protection plan Coscto provides "worth" it? I am not currently a member, but wondering of signing up because I mean its 3 years of an extended warranty for free.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Am I gonna be able to get this thing up on a TV stand by myself? I live alone. I got the 65". Will I need another person? I know it's a big TV but it doesn't seem *that* heavy considering the size.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Alright I caved to buy another OLED for the playroom. I'm crossing my fingers to win the panel lottery but I'm kinda worried. Seems the 2020 model has had more tinting and banding compared to last year per what I've seen on AVS Forums...

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Is the Allstate Protection plan Coscto provides "worth" it? I am not currently a member, but wondering of signing up because I mean its 3 years of an extended warranty for free.

The email I got confirming the plan came from Squaretrade, so I'm pretty sure it's just a 5-year Squaretrade protection plan that's been rebranded as Allstate.

Am I gonna be able to get this thing up on a TV stand by myself? I live alone. I got the 65". Will I need another person? I know it's a big TV but it doesn't seem *that* heavy considering the size.

I would highly suggest you have someone else to help you with it. The 55" B7 I own was thin and light enough for me to install with a stand/wall mount, but it's also definitely not easy to do, this one's bigger.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017

It's not "heavy", it's awkward sizing and it's bottom heavy. You would need to be able to hold the top of the TV which is not meant for 1 person to be honest because it's so thin. You're really better off with two people. But I have done it but do it at your own risk...

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Damn.... why did I click this thread. Chances are I'll buy the 65" now @ best buy. I was thinking of waiting until next year to upgrade but why not bite now right?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't do it with one person. The awkwardness of the size, as well as the unevenness of the weight distribution, make it unwieldy.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Do we reckon these will go down even further during Black Friday? The 55" CX has been £1399 in the UK for a while now, some stores drop it to £1299, or have it at £1399 but with a £100 gift card, which is a great price, but if it has the potential to go even lower than I'll wait. I just don't want to wait another month but the prices go up instead.

Also, do we reckon the GX will drop to the same levels too? Part of me is tempted to get the GX instead because I'm leaning towards mounting it, and the GX will look better for that as that's its purpose. But if not then I guess I'll stick to the CX because otherwise it's £300-400 more for the same size.

Last edited:

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
CX 65" is super tempting at that price but...I've always been fine with my 1080p TV!

A quick Google search doesn't show much info/rumors on the 2021 models. Is the CX as good as it'll be for the next few years?

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I believe Smokey has talked about this a bit before, but 77" at that distance is a lot of a visual information, especially for games. If I were a Competitive Gamer™, I probably would feel that I wasn't able to see the edges of the screen as quickly as with a smaller set.

Since I'm but a lowly casul, it's fantastic. Played a bunch of Forza Horizon 4 over the weekend, and the scale/speed of that much landscape zipping by, etc, was a big change from my 65".

Yeah this echoes how I feel. It's a lot if visual information. I played Gears 5 in it for the first time yesterday, and it was absolutely incredible. Playing fast paced MP titles like COD for example, are fun too in their own way, but if you were trying to be super competitive, you'd probably want to sit further back or play on a smaller set.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the CX 55' on June 30th for $2500.

I don't suppose Best Buy has any sort of price match policy from a 4 month old purchase? I'm wondering if it's possible to contact their live chat about it, or don't even bother.

It's already dropped over $1000 in less 4 months???

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
The Destiny day 1 raids and long play sessions have me concerned about OLEDs. That is one of the main reasons I have held off for so long. My plasma TV certainly has paid the price.
Destiny has opacity settings for the HUD, just lower them. Also, get it from Best Buy with the 5 year warranty. That warranty covers burn in, so you should be fine. The TV is INCREDIBLE, and IMO worth the risk of burn in.

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, optimal viewing distance for a 65" 4K set is 4' to 8'? That feels so close. I guess having mixed media and still a lot of 1080p content means I'd want to sit closer to 8 anyway. My current setup is about 9' away with a 60" 1080p set. Maybe I should consider going up to a 77" at some point, but that price jump is enormous.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
$750 for the Best Buy 5-year warranty on the 77-inch.

Man, I want the warranty....but that's a lot of money just on a warranty.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
$750 for the Best Buy 5-year warranty on the 77-inch.

Man, I want the warranty....but that's a lot of money just on a warranty.

Well if you do get burn in thats $3449 back that you get to put towards a new TV if they don't have the CX in stock. And it allows you some piece of mind.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny has opacity settings for the HUD, just lower them. Also, get it from Best Buy with the 5 year warranty. That warranty covers burn in, so you should be fine. The TV is INCREDIBLE, and IMO worth the risk of burn in.

I need to just suck it up and grab a monitor. The CX can be my primary TV for everything else. While it is true that BestBuy has a great warranty you still have to go through several steps and wait before you are issued a like TV or your money back in the form of credit, at least based on prior experience with my Marantz SR6008.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For someone with the LG CX or 9, what is the depth of the screen (the part that doesn't have the bulk)?

I am trying to determine if I can fit an Apple TV behind it with the Sanus Super Slim wall mount.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
CX 65" is super tempting at that price but...I've always been fine with my 1080p TV!

A quick Google search doesn't show much info/rumors on the 2021 models. Is the CX as good as it'll be for the next few years?

There's always something new like updated chipset etc. For the LG models, probably changes to the stand or aesthetics. If you really want a Sony they will probably have bigger improvement in the 2021 lineup with HDMI 2.1 and all the features that LG already has.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
There's always something new like updated chipset etc. For the LG models, probably changes to the stand or aesthetics. If you really want a Sony they will probably have bigger improvement in the 2021 lineup with HDMI 2.1 and all the features that LG already has.

That's what I figured. I know I've said repeatedly that I won't buy another TV until my current 1080p set breaks, but $1850 plus tax (with warranty at Costco and cash back next year using my Visa card) is a very good deal on the CX 65"! I wonder if the price will go down further on Black Friday as I do know Costco price matches within 30 days.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I just made a "1080p is fine pls support it devs" thread a few days ago, and now here I am a click away from pulling the trigger on a 65". I think what I'm the most torn on now is the warranty, I am sure not excited to spend an extra $419 for the best buy 5-year but I've been so anxious about burn in and the notion that I can just not worry about it at all... maybe that's worth $419? It's still a tough sell tho with Costco offering that free one.

I sure didn't try at all to get a PS5, though, and now I'm gonna have to start figuring out how to chase one down. I bet I don't get one until June or something UGH.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If you can afford it, do it. If you get it through Best Buy and within a week the price somehow drops again, I'm pretty sure you can just go in and they'll adjust it down/give you a credit. I wonder how long of a window you have for that?
FYI, BestBuy doesn't match BF week sales normally unless it specifically states so on the item. You can always return the one you bought though.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Sub 2000$ is what I'm hoping for here in Sweden this holiday season as well... that's my trigger point I think.
Nothing yet though

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, BestBuy doesn't match BF week sales normally unless it specifically states so on the item. You can always return the one you bought though.

To add to this though, they do price match their Cyber Monday deals and often the sales during Cyber Monday are the same as Black Friday.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're right....

Its definitely a lot. I only got the 2 year plan until the pricematch came along. But it was better than nothing imo.

Still I had a B6 for a few years until this set replaced it, and it was fine, no burn in.

Man I just made a "1080p is fine pls support it devs" thread a few days ago, and now here I am a click away from pulling the trigger on a 65". I think what I'm the most torn on now is the warranty, I am sure not excited to spend an extra $419 for the best buy 5-year but I've been so anxious about burn in and the notion that I can just not worry about it at all... maybe that's worth $419? It's still a tough sell tho with Costco offering that free one.

I sure didn't try at all to get a PS5, though, and now I'm gonna have to start figuring out how to chase one down. I bet I don't get one until June or something UGH.

I dont think the Costco warranty covers burn in if thats your concern.