Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Hmmm - I am not sure either (and honestly, the 48' does work much better for my space) but it is so hard to justify spending more for the smaller screen. I am off to Costco in a few hours (they dont have the 48 on the floor) so I guess it will be an impulse decision either way.

Anyone else know if there is actually some difference in panels between the 48 and the 55? We would love to know!

This.

I was mainly going to splurge for the space as it would be super convenient. But the 55" seems to have equally good reviews unless I'm missing something.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
I'm curious what has disappointed you with that set, movie-wise? It tends to be pretty well-regarded, apart from viewing angles (as an X930E owner, I understand that pain.)

I watch a lot of subtitled movies, and the blooming around the text drives me insane–and, in general, I'm just hyper-aware of blooming in dark scenes. I find myself constantly scrutinizing the picture in ways that I never did with TVs I've owned in the past.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I watch a lot of subtitled movies, and the blooming around the text drives me insane–and, in general, I'm just hyper-aware of blooming in dark scenes. I find myself constantly scrutinizing the picture in ways that I never did with TVs I've owned in the past.
Oof, gotcha. That makes sense! Is adding bias lighting possible in your setup? I know that they're different sets (and Rtings seems to give the 930 a bit of an edge in black level), but bias lighting made it so blooming was only noticeable in the most extreme situations.

I only bring it up because I just got a CX, and while it's definitely a better set (most obviously in black-level performance), it's not *so* much better that I'd risk getting other members of the household upset with me about it. :)

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to adjust the stand on the CX? I need clearance between the bottom of the screen and the bottom of the stand for a sound bar.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, at least none that I've seen. It's *very* low-profile.
Damn, thanks for the reply. It's funny how cheaper TVs with "clunky" stands are actually more usable because they aren't obsessed with presenting a minimalist aesthetic.

I mean, someone who really cares about a minimalist entertainment center is going to wall mount the TV anyway, right?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, thanks for the reply. It's funny how cheaper TVs with "clunky" stands are actually more usable because they aren't obsessed with presenting a minimalist aesthetic.

I mean, someone who really cares about a minimalist entertainment center is going to wall mount the TV anyway, right?
Yup, it's tough - the rise of soundbars has really changed the situation: people now *want* a bit of space below their set, when lower-profile stands had been the trend for years.

As to your latter point, my previous set was wall-mounted. The CX stand was so minimal, I figured "I'll just leave it on the stand, it'll be fine."

I lasted 4 days before wall-mounting it.

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Oof, gotcha. That makes sense! Is adding bias lighting possible in your setup? I know that they're different sets (and Rtings seems to give the 930 a bit of an edge in black level), but bias lighting made it so blooming was only noticeable in the most extreme situations.

I only bring it up because I just got a CX, and while it's definitely a better set (most obviously in black-level performance), it's not *so* much better that I'd risk getting other members of the household upset with me about it. :)

That's actually really comforting to hear with regard to the CX and how it compares to the TV I already have. Again, games look phenomenal, but the lighting issues elsewhere bug the crap out of me. Maybe I just need brighter bias lighting? I did buy a cheap set of LEDs for around the back of the TV, and it helps but doesn't mitigate the issue to the extent I'd like.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually really comforting to hear with regard to the CX and how it compares to the TV I already have. Again, games look phenomenal, but the lighting issues elsewhere bug the crap out of me. Maybe I just need brighter bias lighting? I did buy a cheap set of LEDs for around the back of the TV, and it helps but doesn't mitigate the issue to the extent I'd like.
I used Luminoodle lighting, which seemed to work well. It's tough - we're talking about different sets, in different locations, with different eyes. You're also looking at the worst-case scenario for LCD, with regards to blooming... and the area where OLED really shines. I'd also bring up burn-in - I've heard that people who truly watch a ton of subtitled material end up with burn-in, down in the subtitle area.

CBTech

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting increasingly more tempted by this, but I have a question. My current receiver for my sound system is like 6 years old at this point and I'm sure it doesn't support 4K or anything like that. What sort of receiver should I be looking into so that I can make sure everything works right on the sound side of things? I saw some people mentioning hooking things into the tv and then having the sound passed from the tv to the receiver, but I have a decent amount of things hooked up on my entertainment center so it's nice having my receiver be a hub for everything.

May 30, 2018
I'm getting increasingly more tempted by this, but I have a question. My current receiver for my sound system is like 6 years old at this point and I'm sure it doesn't support 4K or anything like that. What sort of receiver should I be looking into so that I can make sure everything works right on the sound side of things? I saw some people mentioning hooking things into the tv and then having the sound passed from the tv to the receiver, but I have a decent amount of things hooked up on my entertainment center so it's nice having my receiver be a hub for everything.
it sounds like everyone should be waiting based on some earlier posts re: receiver. like the hardware chip (that all of the ones that would have otherwise been recommended share) has a major flaw that was only just discovered and it's yet to be seen how it will be addressed.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
was going to get the 48 model on Amazon but they're super out of stock

Best Buy has the best warranty for OLEDs, right?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, it's the only one that explicitly covers burn-in (and it's the sole reason I went with Best Buy instead of any other retailer.)
You mean LG's warranty? Although there are people who have gotten a one-time replacement from LG because of burn-in, I wouldn't rely upon it. Best Buy's Geek Squad extended warranty explicitly covers it.

I'm someone who could have gone OLED last time I got a TV, and avoided it basically solely due to burn-in concerns: I knew (and know) that it's not super-likely, but I would be anxious about it. Enough variables have changed to where I'm not as worried, and the BB warranty sealed the deal for me. YMMV, but that's my take on it.

cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
You mean LG's warranty? Although there are people who have gotten a one-time replacement from LG because of burn-in, I wouldn't rely upon it. Best Buy's Geek Squad extended warranty explicitly covers it.

I'm someone who could have gone OLED last time I got a TV, and avoided it basically solely due to burn-in concerns: I knew (and know) that it's not super-likely, but I would be anxious about it. Enough variables have changed to where I'm not as worried, and the BB warranty sealed the deal for me. YMMV, but that's my take on it.
all right, think I'll go for Best Buy then.

the 55 model being $1400 at the moment is tempting but i sit maybe 6 feet away from the screen with my setup. that's just too big lmao

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered the 65-inch CX from my local video store. $1850 w/ a 5-year warranty that covers (most) burn in, a price match guarantee to Jan 1, 60-day return window and free delivery.

Pretty amazing deal!

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any way to adjust the stand on the CX? I need clearance between the bottom of the screen and the bottom of the stand for a sound bar.

If you got the 65" or smaller you could use something like this. The dimensions are like a perfect fit to the stand on the 65". Says it'll hold upwards of 100 lbs, and the TV with stand is in the 70s.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Video Only. They are only on the west coast.

I'm on the west coast too and called them after reading your message. Can confirm the deal. The only thing that makes me weary is the guy I talked to was pretty dodgy about burn-in coverage. He wouldn't explicitly say it was covered and just said "it's a case by case basis" and "they'll sometimes cover it". I've purchased from them before and trust them but I don't know how confident that makes me in getting covered if the set did in fact get burn in. Thanks for the heads up though!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the west coast too and called them after reading your message. Can confirm the deal. The only thing that makes me weary is the guy I talked to was pretty dodgy about burn-in coverage. He wouldn't explicitly say it was covered and just said "it's a case by case basis" and "they'll sometimes cover it". I've purchased from them before and trust them but I don't know how confident that makes me in getting covered if the set did in fact get burn in. Thanks for the heads up though!

Ya. I got the same burn-in speech about how it wasn't 100% covered...but I am okay with that as I am not super worried about it in the first place I guess. I've had a C6 for 3 years and put in plenty of Overwatch hours and haven't had a problem.

Deleted member 57578

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
The general consensus is that $419 for a 5 year warranty at Best Buy that covers burn in is worth it on this $1,849 TV (22% mark up)? I'm just so hard wired to be warranty skeptic that I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Ya. I got the same burn-in speech about how it wasn't 100% covered...but I am okay with that as I am not super worried about it in the first place I guess. I've had a C6 for 3 years and put in plenty of Overwatch hours and haven't had a problem.
Just a quick note: Video Only was known as the... least reputable dealer in the area, when I was in the industry. This was awhile back, this could have changed, etc., but I would personally not trust them with any warranty/service promises that were not explicitly in writing.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
Ordered the 65-inch CX from my local video store. $1850 w/ a 5-year warranty that covers (most) burn in, a price match guarantee to Jan 1, 60-day return window and free delivery.

Pretty amazing deal!
Hey, would you be willing to give me some more details on it. I called them up and they said the delivery and warranty are not included and I would have to pay extra. Going to PM you.

Edit: Seeing the other posts about how they might not be the most reputable dealer actually worries me. I got one from Costco but was getting paranoid about the burn in issue.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Think I'll wait to see the Black Friday deals on tvs like that
No one touches TVs over $500 on Black Friday/online so I think there's a decent shot it'll drop down more

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Hey, would you be willing to give me some more details on it. I called them up and they said the delivery and warranty are not included and I would have to pay extra. Going to PM you.

Edit: Seeing the other posts.

Not the OP but from working with VO, you'll get better luck going in. They work on commission and are pretty aggressive with packaging and undercutting competition to get you to buy. When I called, the guy said he'd knock $50 off the price of the TV and possibly more.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
The general consensus is that $419 for a 5 year warranty at Best Buy that covers burn in is worth it on this $1,849 TV (22% mark up)? I'm just so hard wired to be warranty skeptic that I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

I have been having that discussion with a friend. He was like, in that time it wouldn't be worth it and you could get a new TV for it. But having that just gives you that peace of mind, if you are like me. Already bought the TV at costco and have been contemplating on better deals elsewhere since the past two days.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Piece of mind is different for everyone. The times i haven't bought warranty for devices I've been burned. Samsung LCD the capacitors blew and Samsung was charging me as much as the tv price was. Xbox 360 red ring of death and out of warranty as well. I see a warranty as a i see health insurance, you don't use it every month but at some point you will need it.