• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Since finishing Mindhunter on Netflix - which at the time I thought an alright show at the time, I look at humans differently and the show is one of the craziest mindfuck subversion I've felt. Holy cripes let me unpack.

I approached the show much like Holden Ford at the time. Without giving away too much, Holden is an idealistic young FBI profiler who approaches situations and persons very clinically and without any bias or subjective emotional context. Much like him, I approached the show. The premise of the show is basically how Behavioral Science Unit is established at the FBI through countless profiling of serial killers. Holden's partner is Bill Tench, who is the opposite. He is a veteran FBI agent. He feels disgust at the serial killers and cant stand to be in the same room as these psychopaths. I am watching the show unfold and listening to all the grisly murders just like Holden is. I am....fascinated by these monsters just like him. They're enigmatic and hiding their true selves beneath the thin veneer. I too want to hear more and more, and I simply couldn't wait until Holden interviewed another crazy. I slowly realize that we're talking about humans being murdered - lives, hopes, dreams, communities shattered. For no good reason. But I still wanted more. Until the finale.

Spoiler territory
When Kemper gets up and tells Holden that he can kill him in a second, I felt a rush of blood. And then he hugs him, and it felt that ~I~ was giving Kemper a hug because I also felt fascinated by him and thought he was pretty chill in the interviews. I suddenly realized that these people are not just pieces of enigma - but terrible threats to humanity. I wanted to run away as well!
After the show ended, I started down the wikipedia and google rabbit hole of serial killers like Kemper and their exploits and holy crap this is absolutely unspeakable evil. Pure, unfiltered evil. All of these serial killers are. I felt like I was an absolute idiot approaching the killers with such sterile view and no moral compass. The show grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me out of my apathy by the end and I thought it was an absolute brilliant piece of filmmaking by Fincher. I am not sure if anyone felt the same way that I did, but please watch the show. It will make you ponder. And dont go down the wikipedia holes of these psychopaths. Its a truly dark place. And today I feel like its one of the best shows ever made.

mindhunter-review.jpg

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last week and it was absolutely stunning all the way through. Might be the best show on Netflix and one of the best I've seen in general. I absolutely cannot wait for it to continue.

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
I agree.It's the best show made by Netflix.

Oct 27, 2017
If you'd like to continue down this rabbit hole here are some books you need to read.

Mindhunter - John Douglas and Mark Olshaker (the book the series is based on)

Hunting Humans - Elliott Leyton

Signature Killers - Robert D Keppel with William J Birnes

The Iceman Confession of a Mafia Contract Killer - Philip Carlo

Also on the Iceman killer.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, my wife and I have only seen the first 2 episodes, but we're really digging it. Excellent stuff so far.

GUTS

Oct 26, 2017
One of David Fincher finest work IMO. The show was fascinating to watch all the way through. You guys definitely shouldn't skip this one

Oct 30, 2017
So is anything of it based on reality?

Yes. The killers interviewed are real (Ed Kemper, Jerry Brudos, and Richard Speck). There are references to the Bittaker and Norris tapes as one agent is seen listening to it for desensitization. Almost each cold opening is a reference to the BTK killer. Essentially, the show is based on a nonfictional book so it all is based in reality.

Oct 26, 2017
There is a thread for Mindhunter.

(Last summer on my vaccation without anything to do, I read through the wikipedia-articles for all the US serial killers in history. I'd say the worst are that serial killer duo that met in prision and picked up and raped/tortured/murdered young women in their van. That was horrifying)

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished this season and it's spectacular. I'm surprised Stranger Things is taking all the Netflix Original spotlight. I had the same reaction for the ending scene, too, OP. Crazy moment.

Fantastic piece of work all around. Watch it.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, amazing show. And if you see someone say they didn't like it because Holden was awful, you know they actually watched the show. They're just dumb for not grasping you're not supposed to like him.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to catch the first episode Saturday... and then I was done with three episodes. Fincher's hyper-detailed style, like Mann's but more grounded, really melds well with the material. The acting jobs are top notch too, but I generally found it fascinating, but empathized with both Holden and Tench. The detached amazement and interest of all the new things being learned, but then the cold horror and disgust of how the discussions true up with reality.

"He's going to take your gun, kill you with it, and have sex with your face."

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017

(Last summer on my vaccation without anything to do, I read through the wikipedia-articles for all the US serial killers in history. I'd say the worst are that serial killer duo that met in prision and picked up and raped/tortured/murdered young women in their van. That was horrifying)

Bittaker and Norris. Yeah, it's easily the worst crime(s) I have ever read. There's a reason why FBI agents are exposed to the Bittaker tape during training.

Oct 26, 2017
There's a reason why FBI agents are exposed to the Bittaker tape during training.

Yeah I read that. That shit overshadowed all the other serial killers on the list. I think people teaming up is scarier. The lone nutcase is one thing. But people being able to push eachother like that is scary stuff. The same with... those three rapists/serial killers who acted together untill one turned around and killed the leader. Or that english couple that worked together.

I just don't understand how two (or more people) can in some crazy way both be able to do those kinds of things. I guess it says something about the human psyche.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it the other day. Reminds me of True Detective S1 in a lot of ways. Fantastic, tense, impeccably acted, and suuuper engaging show following Holden through it all.

Fincher da gawd

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I read that. That shit overshadowed all the other serial killers on the list. I think people teaming up is scarier. The lone nutcase is one thing. But people being able to push eachother like that is scary stuff. The same with... those three rapists/serial killers who acted together untill one turned around and killed the leader. Or that english couple that worked together.

I just don't understand how two (or more people) can in some crazy way both be able to do those kinds of things. I guess it says something about the human psyche.

It has a lot to do with a sub/dom mentality. Bittaker and Norris is a clear example. Norris was very submissive and Bittaker was a stone-hearted manipulator. Those two opposing forces just enable one another. The sub feels important and obedient to someone while the dominant has someone to help do their bidding. It's really no wonder that Norris immediately pointed at Bittaker and accused Bittaker of forcing him to commit the murders. Dude folded like a paper airplane.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I have one episode to go and my wife and I love it so far. Fincher is great at setting a mood.

Anyway, I try not go down the rabbit hole of information on two things in my life often. One is serial killers and the other is Cults. I find it best not to go too deep into those topics even though they interest the hell out of me.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I tried pretty hard to get into it, got up to the part where Olivia joins the team. It didn't grab me at all, outside of the interviews with the killers.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it. Once I was an episode or two in, times flies. Excellent series.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The pilot was unbearable, and the main guy kept switching between reminding me of Dennis Reynolds and Cary Elwes, which was distracting as hell. Might try to go further, but I doubt it

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We started it and got through about the first 10 minutes and decided to switch to something else. I'm assuming it must get better? The acting in the tiny bit that I watched wasn't impressive enough to keep me interested.

Owarifin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not reading the spoilers, but I'm 6 episodes in.
Been watching for over a month, but with my schedule and Gf's schedule, hard to get some time to watch.

We been playing Mario Kart instead...
Need a full hour...

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I finished this season and it's spectacular. I'm surprised Stranger Things is taking all the Netflix Original spotlight. I had the same reaction for the ending scene, too, OP. Crazy moment.

Fantastic piece of work all around. Watch it.

Not sure why you're surprised by that. Mindhunter is amazing but it's not the type of show that's going to be getting hyped like crazy. Stranger Things is a pop culture phenomenon.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
The Iceman Documentary was fascinating. His demeanor with regards to the people he's killed vs the way he talks about his family at the end seems completely contradictory.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

Bittaker I believe? I refuse to listen to the tape.

One thing that I hated about the show being well versed in the arena is the amount of stuff from these killers stories they worked in. Prime example being used was Specks bird.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think the show itself is kind of just okay on the whole but it has some high points. The first episode is aggressively poor with strangely awful acting -- something I just never expected to see from a Fincher product. From the second episode on though it finds its footing.

The biggest issue throughout is there is absolutely zero, and I do mean zero, chemistry between Holden and his girlfriend. All of their scenes are painful to watch. Conversely, the scenes where Holden and Tench are having conversations with the serial killers are absolutely top tier stuff. It's a strange and uneven show, but worth watching.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know my mind was fucked at how bad the dialogue between the main dude and the lady in the bar was. I almost stopped watching there and still haven't watched the second episode a couple weeks later. It was unbelievably bad and cringey and felt like it lasted for an hour.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I think the show itself is kind of just okay on the whole but it has some high points. The first episode is aggressively poor with strangely awful acting -- something I just never expected to see from a Fincher product. From the second episode on though it finds its footing.

The biggest issue throughout is there is absolutely zero, and I do mean zero, chemistry between Holden and his girlfriend. All of their scenes are painful to watch. Conversely, the scenes where Holden and Tench are having conversations with the serial killers are absolutely top tier stuff. It's a strange and uneven show, but worth watching.
There is supposed to be zero chemistry between Holden and his gf. Watching the guy live in the world is like watching a live experiment. It's all about him and his little world of psychos and killers. He's also disjointed with his colleagues. He's impulsive and slightly narcissist. Tench puts up with him but even he is concerned by the amount of fascination he has with the crazies.