• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you love most about the NSO borders?

• Their distracting allure

Votes: 15 5.2%
  • Their ugly gradient aesthetic

Votes: 44 15.2%
  • They remind me that mediocrity can be rewarded with financial gain

Votes: 68 23.5%
  • Screen burn-in

Votes: 115 39.8%
  • The lack of options for any design other than the fucking gradient

Votes: 47 16.3%

• Total voters

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
It'd be wild if Switch just had a device that let you easily display the video feed somewhere else, like another screen of your choosing, some kind of docking system.

(I agree that forcing the icon to constantly display in the corner is dumb as hell, lmao)

Upon reflection, this was perhaps too much of a smartass reply, but to be fair, the OP was being rather hyperbolic.

Honestly, there's no 100% perfect solution for playing 4:3 aspect ratio on OLED screens. True black bars would allow the pixels on the borders to rest, but then you're wearing out the OLEDs in the middle of your screen faster. Gray bars without a gradient is probably the "best" solution, but even then, you might still be able to notice burn in in certain circumstances. Your best bet, other than the extreme option of playing on a 4:3 CRT monitor, is to play 4:3 games on a low latency LCD screen.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I never like ANYTHING in the borders so yeah it's been a big gripe for me with the NSO app.

evilgenius

Dec 12, 2020
Are you serious with this burn in thing? I bought a c3 a week ago and I'm playing Paper Mario should I stop play it on tv?

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I will never touch NSO for this reason, that and the fact you can't buy any games. Nintendo just doesn't believe in options at this point. Heck look at their options menu for TotK. The fact that they made an OLED switch and have these fucking targets for burn in is insane.

Honestly as always you're better off just using fan emulators. They give a better service than the official provider. Heck look at Sony fucking up every PS classic with PS2 MIA, or Xenia vs. Xbox's limited (albeit laudable) BC too.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I will never touch NSO for this reason, that and the fact you can't buy any games. Nintendo just doesn't believe in options at this point. Heck look at their options menu for TotK. The fact that they made an OLED switch and have these fucking targets for burn in is insane.

Honestly as always you're better off just using fan emulators. They give a better service than the official provider. Heck look at Sony fucking up every PS classic with PS2 MIA, or Xenia vs. Xbox's limited (albeit laudable) BC too.

I'm all for preservation and agree that the companies themselves cannot be trusted to do an adequate job, but Xbox has done leagues better than PS and Nintendo have. Xbox's BC is limited almost entirely by copyright law, not their ambition.

MissingString

Oct 28, 2017
I just don't care about first party offerings for retro games anymore. The best work when it comes to preservation is being done by fans as always.

Are you serious with this burn in thing? I bought a c3 a week ago and I'm playing Paper Mario should I stop play it on tv?

It's over stated but yes, there's burn in risk on any OLED TV when viewing a static image. If you vary your content enough, don't leave the image on screen for extend periods of time and let your TV do its regular maintenance the risk will be minimal.

Still, it shouldn't be a risk you have to take at all. Plus it's just ugly and distracting.

JSRF

"This guy are sick"
Aug 23, 2023
Also kind of this, assuming OP is referencing OLED sets. Black bars will cause uneven wear on the panel since those pixels are all "off." Not sure how it is on more modern displays but on my old C6 it's very noticeable when I jump from say 4:3 to widescreen, or either to full screen content. You can see a hard line where the black bars were and any imagery in said areas is a slightly different... saturation I guess.
Yeah, if there were no borders you'd be more likely to get reverse burn in where the content on the sides will be unnaturally brighter than the 4:3 area in the middle.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
For OLED, can't you enable a 4:3 ratio somewhere on the TV itself, and basically force black bars onto the screen? I can do this on my old Plasma, as well as make them grey if I want (although I never worried about burn in much there, frankly).

dishwashers

Dec 10, 2022
I actually like the gradient ๐Ÿ˜ถ
I downloaded a fan recreation of it to use as an overlay on my 16:9 emulation handhelds for 4:3, 8:7, and 10:9 content.
I agree that it shouldn't be forcibly enabled though, especially with OLED devices being involved.

inkblot

Mar 27, 2024
Time to make our own borders with construction paper and tape ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I always assumed the icon is there to support online play (since it displays all the connected players then) and Nintendo being Nintendo didn't give an option to turn it off during single player.

No, you would want grey bars for an OLED. With black bars the pixels would effectively be off so they would not age along with the pixels in the middle causing brightness levels to differ. Solid Grey bars were an option on Plasma TVs back in the day when displaying 4:3 content and that was a good thing. This would require a ton of screen time with modern OLEDs though.

So burn in and reverse burn in are both issuesโ€ฆclearly the TRUE solution is to design a randomized animation of Waluigi dancing on the screen edges at all times.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
For OLED, can't you enable a 4:3 ratio somewhere on the TV itself, and basically force black bars onto the screen? I can do this on my old Plasma, as well as make them grey if I want (although I never worried about burn in much there, frankly).
Hmm this is a good point. That might cover the ridiculous static player icon in top left the whole time. Will try this later and thank you if it works.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is disappointing considering they're the same S/NES emulators that are used in the mini consoles, which offer several border options including pure black. And plenty of retro game collections on Switch including Nintendo's own port of Mario 64 let you have black borders. I already accept the risk of reverse burn in or whatever when I play other retro or 4:3 games on my TV, just give me the option to disable it.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
They should have the option to turn it off. It's not ideal that my Steam Deck offers a better experience than Nintendo's own device.

evilgenius

Dec 12, 2020
I just don't care about first party offerings for retro games anymore. The best work when it comes to preservation is being done by fans as always.

It's over stated but yes, there's burn in risk on any OLED TV when viewing a static image. If you vary your content enough, don't leave the image on screen for extend periods of time and let your TV do its regular maintenance the risk will be minimal.

Still, it shouldn't be a risk you have to take at all. Plus it's just ugly and distracting.
ok thanks I will finish it in handheld mode, better safe than sorry

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
They are so stubborn, goddamn it. I never play the NSO apps on my TV, since it's OLED and those borders are a huge no go. At least I don't have an OLED Switch, so I can play in handheld mode with peace of mind. They're so ugly, though, and the damn profile picture there too, all the time, ugh.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
I get they're annoying, but "disgusting" feels particularly exaggerated to me honestly. I don't understand why they didn't give options for it, though - it's a really weird choice and I'm sure it's not difficult to implement some border options.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hmm this is a good point. That might cover the ridiculous static player icon in top left the whole time. Will try this later and thank you if it works.
Yeah, hopefully it's something you can enable. I'd really like to know if it can be done. It's the only reason I'm not as angry about these borders as everyone else in here, because I just cover them up, lol.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yeah, hopefully it's something you can enable. I'd really like to know if it can be done. It's the only reason I'm not as angry about these borders as everyone else in here, because I just cover them up, lol.
Ugh damn, didn't work. All it did was further shrink the entire screen into the 4:3 tv setting size lol

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if TVs could just draw black borders themselves, to cover up unwanted borders. It'd be an absurdly situational feature though

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
On OLED specifically, if you just had true black there, you wouldn't have any brightness from the edges, the pixels would effectively be off. It would be such an improvement over having the gradient. Would also be much easier on the OLED itself, if you play for long sessions. So TV or the switch oled would benefit.

This is the annoying part about Nintendo. Small QOL changes would be great but they just get overlooked or ignored forever. There feels like there is no feedback loop from the customer to Nintendo at all.

Defending the gradient is silly too. You could have both.
In that case, you'll possibly end up with something like this due to uneven degradation

WKm4yOV.jpg

This is with a first gen QD-OLED though. Don't know how resistant others like LG OLEDs and the Switch OLED are when it comes to content like this.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
In that case, you'll possibly end up with something like this due to uneven degradation

WKm4yOV.jpg

This is with a first gen QD-OLED though. Don't know how resistant others like LG OLEDs and the Switch OLED are when it comes to content like this.

Yea, I guess at the very least, some type of solid color that isn't quite black would help with that.