5olid_5nake

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone noticed that colors are greyish and dull after the last firmware update.

Is it related to VRR, can I turn it off?
Gran Turismo 7 looks awfull after the update.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Has anyone noticed that colors are greyish and dull after the last firmware update.

Is it related to VRR, can I turn it off?
Gran Turismo 7 looks awfull after the update.

If you have VRR on it totally disables local dimming which wrecks the black levels. The update shouldn't have turned it on though, you should have to manually go into the HDMI input settings and switch them to Enhanced (VRR). Check in the settings for you inputs and see if that's on and switch it to Ehanced (Dolby Vision) or whatever the the third option is called (allows for 120hz but not Dolby Vision).

Otherwise, I didn't notice any picture quality differences with any of the firm ware updated other than the one a few back that had the local dimming bug for a while. I haven't noticed the stutter in 60hz games (probably there and I'm just not sensitive to it) and don't watch my of the 23.x content that apparently has the worst stutter as I mostly only use that TV for gaming and cable.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I'd love to give VRR a go on my own X900H, but my PS5 is warning me that my PSVR processor box is already limiting what it can do (no RGB at 4K). Thankfully it's at least a second gen box so I do get HDR pass through. I play a lot of VR games on my PS5 so disconnecting and reconnecting it all would be a real pain. Can't wait for PSVR2 to finally clear the image bottlenecks and unleash the true power of my X900H! :D

Edit: obviously VRR isn't available on PS5 yet but I'd expect it to arrive a hell of a lot sooner than PSVR2.
I just noticed that my display also doesn't lock into RGB at 4K with the PSVR (version 2) connected to my PS5, as it goes with YUV 4:2:2 instead. All of my cables and my AVR are HDMI 2.1 compliant. What are the negatives of this when it comes to 4K UHD movies and PS5 games? Should I disconnect the PSVR for the best quality visuals?

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed that my display also doesn't lock into RGB at 4K with the PSVR (version 2) connected to my PS5, as it goes with YUV 4:2:2 instead. All of my cables and my AVR are HDMI 2.1 compliant. What are the negatives of this when it comes to 4K UHD movies and PS5 games? Should I disconnect the PSVR for the best quality visuals?

I would have thought you would be losing the HDMI 2.1 features if you have the PSVR box connected all the time, so I guess it depends how much they matter to you (eg. 4k @ 120hz).

Arti

Jun 12, 2020
hey guys,

I have an issue with the x900h ( and the sony HT G700 soundbar). I am not entirely sure, but i think the problem is on the tv, as i've seen other people with different soundsystems have the same issue.
Everytime i use my ps5, i will always get audio drops, when there is sound after it was silent, e.g. after resuming a paused game or a paused video on a streaming app. It just cuts off the first second of the sound, while the soundbar switches its display from "TV" to "LPCM". It doesn't happen when i switch the audioformat on the ps5 from lpcm to DTS or Dolby, but then i will have a sound delay. Same when i disable earc, problem is gone but noticable sound delay. I'm not a technical expert but it seems to me that the tv doesnt passthrough a constant audio stream with earc on and pcm, so everytime there is sound after it was silent, my soundbar newly determines the audioformat, unable to put out sound for a second.

Does anybody else here have this issue, and knows how to fix it? Or if sony is aware of it and eventually patch it?

Thanks!

RumHam

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
hey guys,

I have an issue with the x900h ( and the sony HT G700 soundbar). I am not entirely sure, but i think the problem is on the tv, as i've seen other people with different soundsystems have the same issue.
Everytime i use my ps5, i will always get audio drops, when there is sound after it was silent, e.g. after resuming a paused game or a paused video on a streaming app. It just cuts off the first second of the sound, while the soundbar switches its display from "TV" to "LPCM". It doesn't happen when i switch the audioformat on the ps5 from lpcm to DTS or Dolby, but then i will have a sound delay. Same when i disable earc, problem is gone but noticable sound delay. I'm not a technical expert but it seems to me that the tv doesnt passthrough a constant audio stream with earc on and pcm, so everytime there is sound after it was silent, my soundbar newly determines the audioformat, unable to put out sound for a second.

Does anybody else here have this issue, and knows how to fix it? Or if sony is aware of it and eventually patch it?

Thanks!

Have you tried messing with the audio setting in the t.v. I forget what the exact menu is called but I think the options are Auto 1, Auto 2, and PCM.
I think I have mine set to Auto 1 or 2 because with my soundbar the PCM stopped outputting surround.

Arti

Jun 12, 2020
Have you tried messing with the audio setting in the t.v. I forget what the exact menu is called but I think the options are Auto 1, Auto 2, and PCM.
I think I have mine set to Auto 1 or 2 because with my soundbar the PCM stopped outputting surround.

Yeah i tried out every possible combination of setting on tv, soundbar and ps5, nothing worked so far :/
The best solution i found is to let spotify run in the background on the ps5 all the time, and turn the music volume to a minimum so i can't hear the music and only the game lol.
As long as there is a constant audio stream passing through the tv, i have no dropouts.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yeah so now that VRR is here this week, what should we be doing? The main issue with VRR on this TV was that it made it dim or something?

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
blog.playstation.com

Variable Refresh Rate support for PS5 is rolling out this week

VRR support is coming to Call of Duty: Vanguard, Destiny 2, Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Resident Evil Village, and more.

Kinda bittersweet when we cant have local dimming with VRR...
Let's hope that the x900h gets an update to go along with this. As someone who bought the x900h as their first "nice" tv ever, I feel sad on the daily.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Let's hope that the x900h gets an update to go along with this. As someone who bought the x900h as their first "nice" tv ever, I feel sad on the daily.
Yeah. It took me 7 years to replace my old Bravia that had 3D on it, and honestly, I kinda miss it. The Yahoo widgets didn't work and had some overheating issues, but at least it played 23.875hz movies correctly. This is insane.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
In the meantime, I suggest using these settings if you wanna go at it with VRR ps5 this week:

brightness max
contrast max
gamma max
black level 45
black adjust high
contrast enhancer medium

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Early reports on the AVS forums seem really positive. Finally, a win! Now if we could just get VRR with local dimming, the TV will actually be working as it was supposed to when we bought it.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Early reports on the AVS forums seem really positive. Finally, a win! Now if we could just get VRR with local dimming, the TV will actually be working as it was supposed to when we bought it.

been trying since this morning, yeah VRR work great, local dimming was lost but someone here gave some little brightness ajustement with a HDR calibration it feel near the same. Super glad VRR work fine.

4k 120 is still half the vertical resolution, but this will likely never be fixed.

I know but 4k/60hz will probably the maximum even with a ps5 in most case...

Jun 10, 2018
Framedrops seems noticeable on both modes...

better but we can still feel some drop...
It's likely because LFC (low frame rate compensation) isn't being engaged. I noticed the same thing with VRR on Series X, but enabling 120hz in the System Setting engages LFC so it smooths everything out. Never noticed a stutter after that. I'm not sure if there is a way to force 120hz on PS5.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
So are the only remaining issues the ones from the limitations of the chipset (namely 4K120 blur and no local dimming in VRR)?

Feral Gingy

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
HDR looks so bad with VRR enabled that I just disabled it from PS5 settings. The loss of local dimming is very noticeable in SDR too but maybe I can live with it. Is there any way to check if the TV is using VRR and what the fps is?

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Tried playing Spider-Man on my PS5 with my x900h, and with the HDMI input set to enhance VRR and the settings turned on in the PS5 end of things, setting 120hz to auto causes my screen to black out for a second and then when it comes back the picture is completely messed up. The only way to fix it seems to be to revert the HDMI to the normal Enhanced format. BUT, not that option is forced into Game Mode but with the HDR really dim. I can't adjust anything either, it just says "this isn't available in Auto Low Latency Mode".

Seems the workaround people are suggesting is to switch to the Enhanced with Dolby Vision, but that's not ideal either. Is there a way to turn off ALLM and return the picture settings to how they were before trying the VRR stuff?

Moodz

Oct 28, 2017
I have some questions:

Does the PS5 need to be plugged to a 2.1 HDMI to benefit from VRR?
I think my Series X is on the 2.1...

Same question , but concerning the 40 fps mode in Spider-Man?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
nope. it affected all 23.98 content (which is most shows/movies) played on the tv. blu ray, built in apps, apps played through console, etc. Ive been dealing with it for a year and its a nightmare.

There was also some frame skipping using Game mode with VRR off. It must've been related to the 23.976 bug because apparently it's also been fixed with this newest firmware.
Well then I'm glad I never updated this TV and I think I will continue to never update it to be quite honest.