Captainslow

Dec 3, 2020
Just to be clear so that I know that I'm not doing anything wrong. When I set my TV to VRR and I enable it on my PS5 HDR doesn't seem to work. It's like it's overly grey (or something). Disabling VRR on the TV and turning it off on the PS5 makes things a lot better. Is this one of the issues with the TV in that it cannot support VRR + HDR at the same time? I think I read that in a post but I may have misunderstood.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I just upgraded my XH90 for it's 2022 replacment, the X90K (X94K UK Model - £300 off in the sales) so I can finally enjoy VRR with Local Dimming and no Half Resolution @ 4k /120fps.

The XH90 is still a really good TV, cannot fault the picture quality, it will make a great spare TV for the bedroom but it's flaws (thanks to it's chipset) stopped it being a really great all rounder when it came to gaming at higher framerates.

OP
OP

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear so that I know that I'm not doing anything wrong. When I set my TV to VRR and I enable it on my PS5 HDR doesn't seem to work. It's like it's overly grey (or something). Disabling VRR on the TV and turning it off on the PS5 makes things a lot better. Is this one of the issues with the TV in that it cannot support VRR + HDR at the same time? I think I read that in a post but I may have misunderstood.

I'm guessing it's because local dimming is disabled when the VRR profile is selected.

I just upgraded my XH90 for it's 2022 replacment, the X90K (X94K UK Model - £300 off in the sales) so I can finally enjoy VRR with Local Dimming and no Half Resolution @ 4k /120fps.

The XH90 is still a really good TV, cannot fault the picture quality, it will make a great spare TV for the bedroom but it's flaws (thanks to it's chipset) stopped it being a really great all rounder when it came to gaming at higher framerates.

Haven't been keeping up, but does the X90K really supported everything the X900H should have without compromises?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm guessing it's because local dimming is disabled when the VRR profile is selected.

Haven't been keeping up, but does the X90K really supported everything the X900H should have without compromises?

Yep the issues are fixed when it comes to VRR with Local Dimming and 4K @ 120Hz Full Resolution because the X90K has the newer XR chip in it. 2022 Sony Bravia TV's (and 2021 Models too, like the X90J) didn't have the problem the 2020 XH90 / X900H did because of the new chip.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people buy Sony TVs

I've owned a 900E, 950G and currently have a 95k. They are successively the best TVs I've ever owned. And I also have an LG C1 to compare them too.

Basically they are big, bright, accurate and handle motion very well. I sit far enough away that their main flaw (blooming) is a non factor for me. Hope that helps.

GeezyAF

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't seen the thread active in a while, but I will say that I still get my TV freezing and rebooting on internal apps. I'm not going to factory reset the TV again, so I'm thinking about just getting an Apple TV instead.

Almost bought that 65" C1 Amazon deal yesterday to replace this damn thing lol.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Haven't seen the thread active in a while, but I will say that I still get my TV freezing and rebooting on internal apps. I'm not going to factory reset the TV again, so I'm thinking about just getting an Apple TV instead.

Almost bought that 65" C1 Amazon deal yesterday to replace this damn thing lol.

Yeah I've been getting reboots multiple times per day on my x90CH for a while now, mainly when using streaming apps. I've had so many issues with this damn thing over the two years I've had it. I'm definitely going for an LG oled for my next tv.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Oh hey x900h community!
My TV still working fine and no crashes, sadly seems like VRR and 4k 120hz will never have local dimming.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Nor will 120hz be full resolution.

As I mentioned in the main TV thread, I got a B2 yesterday primarily to replace the X900H I got two years ago. Fantastic set for every other use but for gaming it's a disappointment.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I think I read there was an issue with "frame skipping" or something on this tv when watching blu rays on PS5. I also thought I read it was patched. But I was watching a studio ghibli film on blu ray yesterday and there was nasty skipping whenever a frame scrolled to the side.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this a thing?

Brando

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Euro updates notes from Reddit:

Adds support for the TV Channel Editor for BRAVIA mobile app

Fixes a bug where the TV was not displaying the channel properly when waking from sleep mode

Fixes an issue where the TV did not display the channel properly when changing channels with a certain carrier (France only)

Fixes an issue where the TV randomly restarts while watching some content

Improves TV security

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
This isn't REALLY gaming related but thought I'd ask since we have a lot of X900 owners here.

I have the X900E hooked up to my XSX and the last two days when I turn on the XSX the actual TV itself keeps trying to launch the VUDU app and it just flickers up and off with the VUDU app screen over and over again. It's not the XSX's VUDU app, it's definitely the TV's app. You can't make it stop, either. The remote doesn't work because every time it tries to launch the app it just kicks you out of whatever menu you were trying to access.

Anybody know what the deal is and if there is a fix?

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't REALLY gaming related but thought I'd ask since we have a lot of X900 owners here.

I have the X900E hooked up to my XSX and the last two days when I turn on the XSX the actual TV itself keeps trying to launch the VUDU app and it just flickers up and off with the VUDU app screen over and over again. It's not the XSX's VUDU app, it's definitely the TV's app. You can't make it stop, either. The remote doesn't work because every time it tries to launch the app it just kicks you out of whatever menu you were trying to access.

Wow that's wild. Can you delete the Vudu app and does that help?

Nov 14, 2017

Can you turn off the HDMI CEC? I think it's called Bravia Sync in Sony terms.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
It seems to have fixed itself for the past two days when I turn it on. But I will try these recommendations if it continues. I don't want to mess with it quite yet until something goes wrong again.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I can't install this new update via USB, weird. The last one worked, this it just says "can't use this USB disk for update" or something similar

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
im on whatever the update that first fixed the 23.98 bug was. after living with the tv for a YEAR with frame flashes constantly, I'm never trying another update now that it *works*. I'm very lucky that I'm not getting any restarts or anything. Never upgrading again.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
im on whatever the update that first fixed the 23.98 bug was. after living with the tv for a YEAR with frame flashes constantly, I'm never trying another update now that it *works*. I'm very lucky that I'm not getting any restarts or anything. Never upgrading again.

I've only had the restarts on Disney plus. Never once while playing a game. It's on fresh updates and without issues.

Mar 6, 2021
I bought the five year warranty with this tv and am hoping it fails at some point. The no local dimming with VRR and audio drops when using my sound bar in surround mode that has plagued my tv since I purchased it left a sour taste in my mouth. Sony customer service will tell you that the lack of full resolution is normal too even after sending in pictures and videos. I will probably go with LG next time around which is a shame because I really liked my precious tv from Sony.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
Has anyone tried the new PS5 firmware beta with this tv? I just got a code for it but won't have a chance to try it for a few days. Just curious if this improves anything with VRR/ anything else noticeable.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have it but don't have VRR running as most of the games I play don't really support it.

No issues so far

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
I've long disconnected my TV from the Internet. I forget which version I'm on, but it runs perfectly for me, so no need to mess things up.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
I'll download it, probably won't notice anything different because I've been happy with the set for a very long time (outside the remote dpad getting crunchy like something got underneath the buttons).

Craiji

May 26, 2018
I offer my TV as sacrifice! Updating now, as I have been running into the black screen problem a bunch.

I do NOT use any of the apps on the TV and use an Apple TV instead, so wont be able to give much feedback there.