Jun 1, 2021
Feels like I'm reading the exact same things about this that I see every time a new premium VR headset is released. Awesome hardware, loads of future potential, but not something that's easy to recommend now or any time soon really due to lackluster software lineup.

Call of the mountain potentially aside, there is plenty of incrediable software at launch.

Simonnnnn

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly good reviews but they've made me pull the plug just for now. Going to wait this out and see how people feel when they get it in their hands.. doesn't seem like supply is an issue so will see how I feel in a week or two.

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like I'm reading the exact same things about this that I see every time a new premium VR headset is released. Awesome hardware, loads of future potential, but not something that's easy to recommend now or any time soon really due to lackluster software lineup.

I don't think it's lackluster at all, unless you've already played games like REZ Infinite, Pistol Whip and Tetris Effect, and even then you''ll get superior versions on PS VR2. And then there are games like Village and GT7, which can be played in VR for the first time.

Jan 20, 2023
DF's review of the screen is very promising.Didn't specifically mention god rays by name but John sounded like he was suggesting they were mostly gone?

God i'd love to have one of these just to play thumper lmao

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
It's crazy how people are acting like Call of the Mountain coming in at high 70s from <20 reviews is a "flop". That's far from a bad score. Did we really expect it to be a masterpiece? I certainly wasn't anyway.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how people are acting like Call of the Mountain coming in at high 70s from <20 reviews is a "flop". That's far from a bad score. Did we really expect it to be a masterpiece? I certainly wasn't anyway.
I am very confuse as well its already setting at 79 most likely going to go over 80.

Horizon Call of the Mountain critic reviews

Metacritic aggregates music, game, tv, and movie reviews from the leading critics. Only Metacritic.com uses METASCORES, which let you know at a glance how each item was reviewed.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
''The headset and controllers are all incredibly comfortable – maybe even the most comfortable in the world of VR headsets – but the visuals are where PlayStation VR2 begins to underwhelm. While the in-headset visuals are an undeniable improvement over PlayStation VR and VR headsets of the past, it is still lacking. There is still a general blurriness (an issue that affects all VR headsets) that I recognize is difficult to overcome considering how close your face is to the screen at all times, but it doesn't change the fact that playing VR for some time and switching to a standard PlayStation 5 game showcases a large gap in visual fidelity. It looks better, especially when comparing the same game in PlayStation VR and PlayStation VR2, but it is not a visual revelation – just an improvement.''

from the game informer article. Hmm I'm not very sure about my preorder.

There are tons of causes of blurriness with VR including not wearing a headset correctly and not adjusting IPD properly. (As well as a variety of headset issues).

Hard to know if it's actually not that good or if there's an element of user error. Especially if you just assume that VR is going to be blurry or aren't aware of the IPD adjustment.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not giving Verge a click for that bullshit clickbait title and thumbnail. They too often look for a cynical angle and just feels unnecessary. Watched DF and will watch eurogamer and check out those posting their own reviews here

also lol at 'isn't the second coming of christ we were hoping for'. ffs

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017

wheresoda.gif

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

Horizon Call of the Mountain review - a visually spectacular introduction to the PSVR2

As a technical showcase for what's possible with PSVR2 Call of the Mountain excels, even if its world and mechanics sometimes fall short. Eyurogamer's review.

Horizon Call of the Mountain is a brilliant way to kick off PSVR 2 and remains compelling until the very end. By leaning into the medium's physicality, Firesprite and Guerrilla created a game that could only work in VR and simultaneously feels faithful to the Horizon franchise. I do wish Ryas was a more interesting character and while I wouldn't call the gameplay revelatory, what's here feels incredibly polished and looks absolutely stunning. This is an undoubtably an essential game for all PlayStation VR2 owners.
uploadvr.com

Horizon Call of the Mountain Review: A Stunning Showcase For PSVR 2

Horizon Call of the Mountain is a stunning showcase for PlayStation VR2, demonstrating the headset's new features within an engaging action-adventure campaign.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Are ports bad if most people buying the headset have not played them though? Almost all of them will be new to me.
Oh no, for people who will be buying a headset for the first time you'll be in heaven probably.

But this is an expensive, enthusiast product. I'm going to guess that the overwhelming majority of people buying this thing will be coming from an older headset and will have already played many of these games.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
I was expecting 80-85 at the the top end, maybe 60 at the low. So it's scoring as well as I would have expected.

Rush of Blood averaged about 70 and that's my favourite VR game, one of my favourite games of all-time if I'm honest.

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
Hmm starting to see a lot more positive reviews for CotM, the score seems to be going up.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I did it, cancelled my pre-order.

Not the headset's fault, but CotM had to be something extraordinary for me to keep it. I have an Oculus and PSVR I barely play already, and for this amount of money it had to have something amazing. Alyx would have done it too. I just can't justify the expense.

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017

I was on the Oculus reddit and there was some article about Quest 3 where normally we are dying for hardware news but all the comments some variation of ...."cool to have new hardware but where is the content?"

I think PSVR has a similar issue since many of the games seem to be ports of years old games, but maybe it will be alright since they will be new games for most.

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Game Informer calls the image quality blurry, Digital Foundry says it's "extremely sharp and clean". I'm glad it's not the other way around, that's all I'll say.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are ports bad if most people buying the headset have not played them though? Almost all of them will be new to me.
Ive played a decent number of the more well known ones. And this is still a huge deal because I played them on original PSVR hardware. I feel people saying "old ports" or whatever are being disingenuous considering how much better they are going to look, play, control etc. on the new hardware. And its not even a "oh hey better frame rate, shorter loading" type of upgrade, because the better controls alone will vastly improve a number of these games.

Then again I really dont get the "small launch list" comments either, there's loads... and even heavy hitters. You'd think we were looking at the Wii U launch lineup or something./..

Nov 14, 2017
That GI blurriness quote is weird, because it says it affects all VR headsets. The big question is how it compares to other headsets, and it appears from DF that it compares very favourably.

iamandy

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I would rely too much on reviews from mainstream media honestly. They never seem to grasp what VR games are good with and just want flat experiences in VR.

I trust Ian from Eurogamer and VR content creators for VR content.

But hey, the reviews aren't even bad lol.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Any word on how the PS5's built-in recording handles VR2? i.e. does it record a fisheye view or a normal view?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm kinda unsure on CotM, i'm glad it's not mostly robot fighting, but i was hoping for more exploration of wider areas, not loads of climbing. Still, Higton who like me isn't keen on the Horizon games either, still say's it's a must play and one he's enjoying.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Still no news of whether this is launching with any kind of media apps? YouTube VR in Meta Quest works surprisingly well, for instance.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting 70-80 for Horizon so I'm quite content. I was honestly fearing much worse given how much of a hit and miss GG can be.

I'm keeping my bundled preorder. Really can't wait for GT7 though. That is what really sold me on PSVR2.