• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
A
You buy these subs to play certain games online. It's a chicken and egg scenario. If the platform isn't your primary platform then sometimes it takes a game that you want to play for a sustained period of time to trigger you subscribing.

I personally don't think they would have anything to lose by opening it up to those without the gold sub for the free weekend. If anything it would get more people to try it out and hence increase the chances that they will convert some people who aren't currently subscribed (along with purchasing the game). But that's just my opinion.
All. I'm saying is, at this point we all know what it takes to play online with PS4 and Xbone. So why 5 years after the generation started are we lamenting having to play to use the online services? I would stay 90% of the people interested in playing online have signed up. How many people that wanted to play online are really waiting for the free play weekend of a specific game to decide if they can live with gold or ps+. Yeah it would nice if you didn't have to pay but if you cared you probably already have.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So now you're trying to claim innocence? You responded to me with a question. Someone else quoted your post that was directed at me and answered the question to which you responded "this thread is the worst". Lo and behold, suddenly that response wasn't directed at me in the slightest. And again you're making it personal with a few insults sprinkled in.

Rock on, rock on.

lol, I hope this finally means you'll never quote me in a thread again.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It's so confusing reading Xbox threads when you already have the people who regularly shit them up on your ignore list.

Back on topic, I have a couple of friends that are still yet to get on this that will be playing. It's going to be fun.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A

All. I'm saying is, at this point we all know what it takes to play online with PS4 and Xbone. So why 5 years after the generation started are we lamenting having to play to use the online services? I would stay 90% of the people interested in playing online have signed up. How many people that wanted to play online are really waiting for the free play weekend of a specific game to decide if they can live with gold or ps+. Yeah it would nice if you didn't have to pay but if you cared you probably already have.

I guess it depends on how much you online. If you play everything online then yes, you'd be wise to sub anyway but if you play just a select few games online then there's no point subbing unless those games are in the rota of games you frequently play.

Free weekends represent an opportunity for them to tempt those who aren't subbed into subbing if the game in question clicks with those individuals.

Shoreu

Oct 25, 2017
They should have done this a long time ago. I wanted to try it but there was no way I was paying.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Free weekends represent an opportunity for them to tempt those who aren't subbed into subbing if the game in question clicks with those individuals.

This free weekend is part of Xbox Free Play Days which is a feature of Xbox Live Gold. It's not just a trial to get people to buy PUBG. Xbox Free Play Days are added incentive to get people to join Xbox Live Gold. They do them all the time and they've always been for Gold subscribers. If you're trying to 'tempt those who aren't subbed into subbing' then adding value to Xbox Live Gold by holding Free Play Days for subscribers is one way to do it. They've been doing it for ages. You can't even download the game during the Free Play Days without Gold so there's no point in removing Gold to play online. You would need Gold to play the game even if it was entirely single player.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This free weekend is part of Xbox Free Play Days which is a feature of Xbox Live Gold. It's not just a trial to get people to buy PUBG. Xbox Free Play Days are added incentive to get people to join Xbox Live Gold. They do them all the time and they've always been for Gold subscribers. If you're trying to 'tempt those who aren't subbed into subbing' then adding value to Xbox Live Gold by holding Free Play Days for subscribers is one way to do it. They've been doing it for ages. You can't even download the game during the Free Play Days without Gold so there's no point in removing Gold to play online. You would need Gold to play the game even if it was entirely single player.

If it's a subscriber perk then fair enough. Thank you for explaining.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just play Mobile version instead. I'm not even exaggerating. I bought PUBG on Xbox X and it still runs like shit. Meanwhile PUBG on iPad Pro runs great and feels much better! Which is telling considering that it's touch control based.

Kenagain

Oct 27, 2017
Just play Mobile version instead. I'm not even exaggerating. I bought PUBG on Xbox X and it still runs like shit. Meanwhile PUBG on iPad Pro runs great and feels much better! Which is telling considering that it's touch control based.

Ehhhh gotta disagree with you there. It runs pretty perfect, imo, on the X. I haven't noticed any glaring issues. And the mobile version is pretty boo-boo, at least on the IPhone X. Screen is waaaaaay too small, and the touch controls work but are pretty meh. And the whole bot thing really turned me off

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Ehhhh gotta disagree with you there. It runs pretty perfect, imo, on the X. I haven't noticed any glaring issues. And the mobile version is pretty boo-boo, at least on the IPhone X. Screen is waaaaaay too small, and the touch controls work but are pretty meh. And the whole bot thing really turned me off
Framerate is butt when parachuting and takes a minute to stabilize even on the X, and even then it doesn't feel stable.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I agree funny enough Pubg felt better on my Samsung Galaxy with none of the atrocious rubber banding and textures poppin in last minute. They did a great job on mobile.

I actually bought Pubg but havent played it in awhile as Fort Nite has just engulfed me.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You must not be sensitive to low framerate/bad input lag at all if you can enjoy X version. I don't consider myself very sensitive to those issues, but often X version feels like I'm playing underwater or something.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's cause I'm playing the preview versions but it's noticably better from launch. Looks and plays better

The mobile version's definitely on point but the console version is pretty stable for me. Only issue is at the beginning with house textures.

v0rt3x

Oct 27, 2017
This is good! Game has definitely improved from back when it was launched. I'm waiting on the next big update. The frame drops need to be fixed first though. Other than that it's my go to game on Xbox right now.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I guess this weekend is the time to get those elusive chicken dinners in with the new free players!

I got my solo and squad dinners in the first week the Xbox version launched. Having ~50 hours of experience on the PC version helped me wipe up in that week. It feels harder now.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it's better but it definitely has some problems that might turn people off.

The biggest problem for me is asset streaming (especially at the start of a game). You'll get the low poly version of the building that looks like a bouncy castle until it loads which can really mess you up (more so if you land on a roof because you just bob up and down) and textures can take a while to load if you get to a house quickly either from the jump or a vehicle.

Also the framerate gets real choppy if the circle happens to go over a city or somewhere with a lot of hiding places because too many people end up surviving and coming together.

I'm not sure that exposing people to it yet is the best idea but it mostly works now at least and is still incredibly fun.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19274

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing for a couple months and went back to it on the newest patch. Zero crashes, less rubber banding and the gun fights hold up better. I might be wrong, but I think it has improved quite a bit visually as well. Still not perfect, but its been much improved.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So it's up to play now, trying to play a round of FPP Solo and can't get into a game after searching for 15 minutes. It was always instant on PC, I guess no one wants to play FPP with the way the game is now lol.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
So when can we expect the download to be available?

I'm not around this weekend but I'm really keen to try it before I head off on Friday.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's up to play now, trying to play a round of FPP Solo and can't get into a game after searching for 15 minutes. It was always instant on PC, I guess no one wants to play FPP with the way the game is now lol.

Weird. I only play FPP solo really and never waited that long. Not even late last night.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It's been weeks since I fired this up, and this is probably a great chance to jump back into the thick of it.

It's so confusing reading Xbox threads when you already have the people who regularly shit them up on your ignore list.

Even outside of threads for particular platforms/publishers, it sometimes takes me a minute to figure out what the heck is going on, lol.

It can be interesting the times you recognize the "fingerprint" of particular offending poster from just other people's reactions.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Just tried it on OG X1, getting out of the plane is a pain in the ass and the few seconds after you land textures pop in like crazy, but after that it ran smooth enough. Manage to survive till 40ish just roaming around with a pistol without finding anyone else, then i saw a car lying near a building that totally looked like a trap but i wanted to test driving controls, so i got in and surprise! it was a trap and someone shot me to death

I can see why people enjoy it but eh. Not for me. Dont think i will be playing it much or at all till the end of FPD. On a positive note its weird seeing a game being under 6GB today so even people with shitty internet will be able to join the fun all around

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
they really should polish it up a bit more before they invite people in, I had a bad run of games this week where it crashed or I got stuck in a random wall/table that loaded in late. then I made it to top ten, with a silenced sniper rifle and ghillie suit and it crashed again and I obviously couldn't get back in fast enough, so that was infuriating. that happening to someone coming in just playing for free would just turn them off forever on this game, you really need to play it for a few hours before things click and get fun

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, I won one!

My first and second rounds I got killed by the first person I saw, third I got top 20 and on my fourth I won!

I can see why people like this genre now, that was a rush.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A

I mostly agree.

They are nice for people to play some hot game with their online gamer friends for a weekend though, even if they have no intention of buying the game or service. Which is why they require Live for the trial as they're not interested in people with no intention of buying the game or a Live sub playing. Vs. PC or Switch (until fall anyway) where you can hop on free weekends of Arms etc. and play then and never again (until the next one anyway).

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
You must not be sensitive to low framerate/bad input lag at all if you can enjoy X version. I don't consider myself very sensitive to those issues, but often X version feels like I'm playing underwater or something.

The mobile versions not only run but play a lot better even on the lowest end hardware and pings in the hundreds. There is something wrong at the core of the Xbox version causing it to feel like a slug and I have a feeling that's part of the reason why the game struggles with LOD streaming and frame rate being consistent.

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I won one!

My first and second rounds I got killed by the first person I saw, third I got top 20 and on my fourth I won!

I can see why people like this genre now, that was a rush.

Shit, good work! When you get to the last ten it always starts my heart pumping. Nice job!

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Curious to see if the free weekend puts the game above Fortnite as most played.

I would love it if it did (as a huge PUBG fan) but Fortnite just launched their time limited 50 v 50 mode and people LOVE that. It's also the perfect mode for grinding out stars on their battle pass. So a lot of Fortnite is gonna get played this weekend i'd think.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Decided to fire the game up for the first time for a while due to this.

I see people still camp the bridge. Is this a valid tactic? Seems incredibly stupid to camp there.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Wow I tried this and it actually made me nauseous.
Its been a while since I played a game that ran this badly. Ugh.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it, I'm downloading it. Might as well try it out even though multiplayer shooters aren't my thing.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Still utter toilet on the One X, frame rate is woeful as is the responsiveness of the controls. Glad I didn't pay money for it.

Stick to Fortnite.