• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
metro.co.uk

Vegan restaurant begins selling meat dishes after failing to attract customers

The restaurant said staying open was more important than sticking to a ‘purely’ plant-based menu.

'The only other option was to close permanently,' claimed the eaterie in Taunton, Somerset.

'Ethics extend to the jobs and welfare of our wonderful team, to whom we owe a great deal.'

After closing on Saturday for a refurb, it will reportedly reopen with meat and vegetarian dishes.

The spokesperson also admitted: 'Hospitality is increasingly tough and continuing as a purely vegan restaurant has not been sustainable for a considerable amount of time as there are simply not enough customers supporting us in our current format.'

However, owners have been accused of writing 'cryptic' posts, infuriating their plant-based following.

Reacting on social media, one vegan user said: 'Seems worse than closing, selling meat.'

'Surely you'd just go out of business rather than profit from the exploitation of animals?' another asked.

Another diner wrote: 'This is upsetting. I have to say I have been to this restaurant a few times and it was beautiful!

'It's currently going through a renovation, obviously in more ways than one.

'So disappointed having seen this.'

Others feared core vegan clientele could be lost as a result of the move away from exclusively vegan products.

It comes after a host of trendy vegan restaurants were forced to shut in recent years.

Miami Burger – which sold 100 per cent vegan burgers – closed in Reading, Berks in July 2019 after just six months.

Another vegan restaurant – called 1847 – in Manchester closed down three months ago after nine years.

I sometimes wonder how successful vegan places really turn out to be in the long run. I need to patronize the one near me more often.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't be a trend. Eat more vegan, people!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty shitty of them, especially since it almost certainly won't turn their business around

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
🤷‍♀️
Obviously it sucks they had to stop being a vegan restaurant, but saying they should've just shut down and thrown their employees to the wind is pretty easy when you don't have any skin in the game.

Either way, you'd lose the vegan restaurant.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Tried and no thanks.

Texture puts me off.
Taste puts me off.
Price puts me off.

Until Vegan food comes to a point where I can eat it and it's at a good price, I'll stick with what I currently eat.
I think he's just talking to vegans. No need for us to come in and...you know. I'm just going to go back to watching the thread.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty shitty of them, especially since it almost certainly won't turn their business around

Sorry, but given the options of "your business will definitely fail" and "your business might still fail", nobody is going to angonise over that choice.

They and everyone who works for them livelihoods depend on it, and closing the restaurant and removing a vegan option entirely as a result would do more harm to animals than the compromise.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Surely you'd let customers know before you decided "Hey, we are struggling and might close."

Then maybe people might frequent it more and tell their friends.

Or go Vegetarian before selling Meat right off the bat.

Instead, you're gonna have Vegans not show up and just be another shop on the street without a selling point.

I give them 6 months.

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been to a few vegan places in my time. It seems to be a business thats hard to keep open anecdotally, can really only think of one or two places that have been open more than a handful of years but this is also Texas.

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get people being upset that they have to try something else when the vegan thing obviously didn't work from a business standpoint. The vegan restaurant is dead regardless, now there's something else where there's hopefully good vegetarian food which is likely a sizable subset of their existing customer base.

And I'm a vegetarian flirting with veganism myself, but a business is a business first. Nobody is in it to lose money.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
'Surely you'd just go out of business rather than profit from the exploitation of animals?' another asked.

Another diner wrote: 'This is upsetting. I have to say I have been to this restaurant a few times and it was beautiful!

'It's currently going through a renovation, obviously in more ways than one.

'So disappointed having seen this.'
What a bunch of fucking idiots

OP
OP
mbpm

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Tried and no thanks.

Texture puts me off.
Taste puts me off.
Price puts me off.

Until Vegan food comes to a point where I can eat it and it's at a good price, I'll stick with what I currently eat.
The place near me kinda works for me bc it doesn't just do the "we have impossible meat and now we're going to make burger/sandwich alternatives" but instead just steals dishes from non American cuisine that is already meatless lol. So I like the pasta/noodles/rice things it does enough that I can more easily justify the price.

Several vegan places I've run into though definitely just end up making "your burger place but worse" though which just seems untenable

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I don't think there's anything odd about the reactions from the owner or the former customers. For some vegans, eating animals is a major ethical issue. For others it's not, and it's clearly not for the owner.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
This happened in my town, a vegan cafe wasn't doing well so they made a post saying they'd have to introduce non vegan options or they'd have to close, people got stroppy and they closed not long after. Bit shitty as apparently it was quite nice.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
The hospitality industry is tough as it is and Covid really put strain on a lot of businesses. I don't envy anyone trying to make a living in the hospitality industry

I don't think there's anything odd about the reactions from the owner or the former customers. For some vegans, eating animals is a major ethical issue. For others it's not, and it's clearly not for the owner.
Yeah I don't think there is anything odd about anyone's reaction, owner or customers.

of course upsetting their previous customers is not ideal, but also it seems those customers alone were not enough to keep them afloat either way.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Not surprised.

I work in a restaurant and our vegan options account for like 2% of our sales, and I'm sure not all of those are even from vegans.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
The place near me kinda works for me bc it doesn't just do the "we have impossible meat and now we're going to make burger/sandwich alternatives" but instead just steals dishes from non American cuisine that is already meatless lol. So I like the pasta/noodles/rice things it does enough that I can more easily justify the price.

Several vegan places I've run into though definitely just end up making "your burger place but worse" though which just seems untenable
That's what usually works best for me too. It surprises me when there are any blanket statements about vegan food where for me it is just...food. Plenty of dishes I cook just happen to be vegan.

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen it happen a couple times in Tokyo, usually what happens is they lose their main customer base and close down. Literally found this last weekend when I went to check on a place that was fully vegan and then introduced meat in Omotesando - gone entirely.

The other issue is most of the supposedly vegan businesses here are not run by vegans. One vegan burger place opened and the staff member in charge was wearing fucking Canada Goose with the bit of dead dog around the rim of the hood.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Surely you'd let customers know before you decided "Hey, we are struggling and might close."

Then maybe people might frequent it more and tell their friends.

Or go Vegetarian before selling Meat right off the bat.

Instead, you're gonna have Vegans not show up and just be another shop on the street without a selling point.

I give them 6 months.
But why would you not go there anymore? They can still serve their vegan food they offered before, so for vegans they are probably still as good as before. But not they can also take friends who do not want to eat vegan (like e.g. me). If you only offer vegan food, you can only reach groups of people where everyone is fine with vegan.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I've seen it happen a couple times in Tokyo, usually what happens is they lose their main customer base and close down. Literally found this last weekend when I went to check on a place that was fully vegan and then introduced meat in Omotesando - gone entirely.

The other issue is most of the supposedly vegan businesses here are not run by vegans. One vegan burger place opened and the staff member in charge was wearing fucking Canada Goose with the bit of dead dog around the rim of the hood.
It's honestly really fricken difficult to keep vegan restaurant's afloat - even major cities can only support a handful, it's a tiny population of dedicated customers, and a large portion of the population outside of that base will never want to eat there regardless of quality.

As for the second point, most vegans I know don't overly think about their clothing choices. They're dietary vegans, but I'll still see them rock a pair of RM Williams, or items (and brands as a whole) that use animal down as an insulator in jackets and puffers. Even amongst my Canberra leftie circle full of vegans, it's a sea of leather boots and Kathmandu puffers.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
But why would you not go there anymore? They can still serve their vegan food they offered before, so for vegans they are probably still as good as before. But not they can also take friends who do not want to eat vegan (like e.g. me). If you only offer vegan food, you can only reach groups of people where everyone is fine with vegan.
I mean, I get not wanting to be a patron of a restaurant that uses products derived from animals... It's just the "you should've just closed" attitude that just seems unreasonable and obnoxious for a customer to have.

Oct 28, 2017
It's honestly really fricken difficult to keep vegan restaurant's afloat - even major cities can only support a handful, it's a tiny population of dedicated customers, and a large portion of the population outside of that base will never want to eat there regardless of quality.

As for the second point, most vegans I know don't overly think about their clothing choices. They're dietary vegans, but I'll still see them rock a pair of RM Williams, or items (and brands as a whole) that use animal down as an insulator in jackets and puffers. Even amongst my Canberra leftie circle full of vegans, it's a sea of leather boots and Kathmandu puffers.
It depends on the place. Here it is very rare for a regular restaurant to have any vegan options, so vegan restaurants stand out more. If a regular restaurant adds vegan options that info is often shared and celebrated, whereas when a vegan restaurant starts including animal products the publicity will be bad and many would rather go to a place that is reducing rather than increasing cruelty.

Where I am, pretty much everyone I know who calls themself vegan also cares about clothing, cosmetics and the like. I'm sure a lot of non vegan customers don't give a shit, especially as the restaurants tend to lean into the "healthy" aspect. Hell, one of my favorite vegan places never mentions the animals but plasters the word "healthy" all over their pictures of donuts.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I get not wanting to be a patron of a restaurant that uses products derived from animals... It's just the "you should've just closed" attitude that just seems unreasonable and obnoxious for a customer to have.
That's is my takeaway from this. Maybe they'll end up having to shut down anyway, but to say they should have just immediately brought an end to the jobs they provide is pretty absurd.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame. I'd assume vegan only restaurants are still fairly niche outside of the bigger cities so it's going to be a tougher prospect at the best of times. A large part of their problem is, I would suspect, the cost of living crisis which will disproportionately hit their already smaller potential customer base.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I'm not currently vegan either but what is this post? The texture of ALL vegan food puts you off? What?
It's a thing I see quite often. A lot of people associate 'vegan' with 'vegan substitutes for animal products' for some reason.
Sometimes I want to have the people who say this come to my house, and let me cook them some delicious vegan food. There is so much deliciousness in vegan food, and you don't need a single meat substitute for any of it.
Though I do love a vegan burger too, must admit.

I_love_potatoes

Banned
Jul 6, 2020

My first vegan experience was this restaurant I went with my cousins. Didn't want to be a dick as I was the only non-vegan there, so I ate there too. Everything tasted trash. Food is supposed to be enjoyed but I was having a battle inside with the food. Then the price came. Fuck me, I could've had a feast for the price I paid.

Just eat potatoes and you'll be vegan

Only potatoes for life. EASY.

So… you don't eat fruit, nuts, vegetables, rice, potatoes, etc etc?

Just meat all the time?

Yes, I do and I eat meat a lot. Until alternatives of the food I eat taste good and are financially viable, I'll stay where I am.

I_love_potatoes

Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I'm not currently vegan either but what is this post? The texture of ALL vegan food puts you off? What?

Every vegan dish/meal I've had, and I've had quite a bit as I have friends, colleagues and family who are vegan. Sometimes we'd go to a vegan only place, so we all order from there. Nothing ever sits right with me. It's just not nice for my body. 🤷🏻‍♂️

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
The owners aren't Vegan and businesses are going to be closing or changing all over the place; we lost a Vegan place already, we also lost tons of other places which didn't get as much discussion. No real loss other than it's not great to see a business close for those that have.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Eat more vegan, people!
Essential comma =D

Vegan-only restaurant was always going to be a hard sell. I think the better option is to cater to everyone but put a lot of effort into marketing your vegan options so that more customers are likely to try out a vegan meal when they normally wouldn't, and hopefully realize it's more than just lettuce.

Excluding non-vegan customers places an additional barrier in the way of changing dietary habits.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Every vegan dish/meal I've had, and I've had quite a bit as I have friends, colleagues and family who are vegan. Sometimes we'd go to a vegan only place, so we all order from there. Nothing ever sits right with me. It's just not nice for my body. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe those are just bad restaurants. Vegan meals can be good and cheap, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of restaurants overcharge, or maybe try to make some type of exotic food that has limited appeal. When I make vegan meals its usually because they're simple and cheap.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Tried and no thanks.

Texture puts me off.
Taste puts me off.
Price puts me off.

what does this even mean. you can make millions of vegan dishes with different ingredients, textures and taste.

french fries are vegan, i bet you like those.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Judging from the comments here, I think vegan restaurants are more common in the UK than elsewhere (at least the US). A vegan restaurant isn't exactly rare here.

A lot of restaurants here are going to struggle in the coming months.

Most articles like this are just made to generate Facebook arguments and clearly this will do well.

I_love_potatoes

Banned
Jul 6, 2020
I think your problem is trying to eat vegan versions of non-vegan meals.

Maybe try vegan food that is doing its own thing.

It's not just that. I eat pretty much EVERYTHING really. But I did think "You know, let me try some alternatives" seeing as a lot of people I know were doing it, so I thought I'd follow their path and give it a shot, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

If we get lab meat and tastes good to me, I'd switch to that. But till then I'll eat what I eat until there's a viable alternative for me. Lol

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I do and I eat meat a lot. Until alternatives of the food I eat taste good and are financially viable, I'll stay where I am.

I'm not gonna argue with you on the price thing.

But you do realize that "I will not compromise on my life style in any way. I like what i like." isn't really a feasible strategy if we want to make a positive change.
There's plenty of people who've become vegetarians (or vegans) who'll agree with you that a decent steak is just to die for, and that no milk alternative will taste as good as a cold glass of whole milk (myself included...). Or that it's much more convenient going on 5 minute car rides than riding your bike for 10 minutes in the summer heat.

But i'm willing to sacrifice some comforts to make my - ever so small - contribution to keeping our planet liveable for generations to come.

If we get lab meat and tastes good to me, I'd switch to that. But till then I'll eat what I eat until there's a viable alternative for me. Lol

meh, honestly, i feel like you'll find another reason, then, to not having to change anything about your lifestyle 😉

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
The slight problem outside of the massive suffering and cruelty is kinda destroying the World though, for a meal.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It's not just that. I eat pretty much EVERYTHING really. But I did think "You know, let me try some alternatives" seeing as a lot of people I know were doing it, so I thought I'd follow their path and give it a shot, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

What you seem to be saying is meat alternatives don't taste good to you. That's fine, but a very different thing to saying vegan food doesn't taste good to you. The important thing to know is you don't need to eat meat every day, and not every meal needs meat or a meat-alternative in. Risottos, chillis, pizzas, curries, lasagnes, pies etc, loads of meals that can easily be cooked without any meat.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of restaurants and pubs are going to be closing down in the UK with the cost of living crisis, bit hard to see why people are having a go at them for doing all they can to stay open and keep their staff employed. It's not like they're removing vegan options from the menu, people will still be able to go there and order what they did before.

Oct 25, 2017
Judging from the comments here, I think vegan restaurants are more common in the UK than elsewhere (at least the US). A vegan restaurant isn't exactly rare here.

A lot of restaurants here are going to struggle in the coming months.

Most articles like this are just made to generate Facebook arguments and clearly this will do well.
US is just very spread out, go to a big city like LA, SF or NYC you can prob throw a rock in any direction and find one or at least places that have a large vegan options menu

Rural Texas or Alabama? Good luck

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe the problem is that you're looking for an alternative for meat, I hate most vegan "meat" too, it just tastes wrong but there are countless vegan dishes without that stuff.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm unconvinced that pivoting this way will work, but I do think there is space in the market for restaurants that offer meat and vegan options, and market themselves on this. I have friends and family that eat meat, and I'm like 99% vegan as are other friends and family.

I'd definitely prefer more restaurants that sell meat but don't just have the laziest least creative vegan options imaginable, which many do.

The problem is that yeah existing customers have come to expect it to be 100% vegan, and many won't be happy about this change.

Probably immaterial anyway, since most independent restaurants in the UK are going to go out if business soon with the energy crisis.