flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Were some enemies able to
ressurect corpses
in the original game? I don't remember that

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Can anybody try switching the PC version's renderer to DX11 and see if AutoHDR works on Win11?

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Plays really well online but just quit a online game because some redneck Americans dropping the N word now and then. Probably an option to mute, I'll have a look later (I forget as the only games I play online are either on local university servers or muted).

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
Much more tastefully done than the "RTX On" version. I also appreciate how they didn't default to texture filtering blurring.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
I took a screenshot of 8p split on a 21:9 display
M8ghCey.png

Fuck yeah

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Nightdive please put the grenade on the inventory wheel! The only way to get it as the quick item selection on controller is to pick up a new one or map next/previous to a button and I'd rather have the buttons mapped to other things

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
If Nightdive somehow got the No One Lives Forever games I would die happy.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that John also picked up on the interpolation issue with Quake 1. I knew there was some sort of microstutter with the game. It was subtle, but it was definitely there, and it marred an otherwise superb port.
Looking it up, what was Happening with Quake 1 Remastered was the game only updated at 72 Hz, without any interpolation. Maybe from how the original version of Quake was capped at 72 FPS? I'm guessing at 60 FPS that wouldn't be smooth, I never played at that framerate but I definitely felt it at 144 Hz.

Digitiser

May 16, 2022
Man, I haven't played multiplayer Quake 2 since 1998. That hit me right in the nostagias. Countless hours of LAN games on The Edge with goofy custom skins when I should have been studying.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Were some enemies able to
ressurect corpses
in the original game? I don't remember that

My impression from the tutorial was its more likely "stuff you will encounter in the new episode" - as im pretty sure the reviving things and shield enemies were not in the original or expansions (could be wrong).

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that John also picked up on the interpolation issue with Quake 1. I knew there was some sort of microstutter with the game. It was subtle, but it was definitely there, and it marred an otherwise superb port.
I have a 120 Hz G-Sync monitor. By default, I set games in RTSS to run at 117 FPS max to reduce input latency. If I run Nightdive's Quake 1 like that, it stutters. If I run at the full 120 FPS, it's fine.

Stuff like vkQuake doesn't have that issue with 117 FPS.

Last edited:

GWX

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone try KBM support on Xbox? Would love to play using the good old combo.

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Just played this on Steam deck about 1 hour and it is just perfect. Nightdive did a phenomenal job on lightning and shadows. It feels so good to see Quake 2 like this.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels more like a directors cut with the new stuff they have put in (1st mission has a new area, maybe the others do too), the additional enemy Ai and attack stuff.

Undead Bokun

Oct 25, 2017
Is a Bethesda account required for anything? I seem to recall the Quake 64 port being locked behind the mod menu in the previous remaster which required the account.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 120 Hz G-Sync monitor. By default, I set games in RTSS to run at 117 FOS max to reduce input latency. If I run Nightdive's Quake 1 like that, it stutters. If I run at the full 120 FPS, it's fine.

Stuff like vlQuake doesn't have that issue with 117 FPS.

Yeah I was playing on a 144 hz PC monitor with RTSS at 141 and was wondering what was going on, but this was at launch when I wasn't sure exactly what the issue was and ended up playing through it anyway. If I go back to it for the expansions I'll try it at 120 on my OLED.

bloopland33

Mar 4, 2020
If my friends and I picked one of these up for multiplayer fun, which one is best? None of us have ever played a Quake.

Also, 16 players in a game - what's the limit on how many friends we can party up with to get in a game together?

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I was 14 when this first came out and this still feels fresh as hell.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Take 2 should be even more ashamed of their 50$-no-multiplayer-Switch-PS4-only-bullshit-RDR port now.

This is how you do a remaster. Quake 2 Remaster plays, looks and feels great.

Even giving it away for free for owners of previous versions on Steam.

Amazing.

Mar 5, 2019
I think I bought my steam release in 2010 for like a buck. Can't really think of any other single player digital games having a shelf life like that.

Deleted member 129013

Dec 12, 2022
Too many deathmatch and not enough CTF currently. Where my old people at?

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who quit the RTX version halfway because it didn't feel right, this is a gift sent by God.

May 31, 2022
I'm re-installing Quake 2 on my PC. According to this, this 2023 re-release/remaster of Quake 2 is being offered as a free update to current PC owners of Quake 2: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2320/view/3644027577415996831?l=english

I already own Quake II. How do I access the new release?

Previous owners of Quake II on the Microsoft Store, Steam and Good Old Games (GOG) will automatically receive the new version via a free update. It may have already updated by the time you read this!

How do I access the original versions of the game?

Users on the below PC platforms will be able to access the original version of Quake II as follows:

• Steam users can use the launch options to launch the original versions of the games and the original files are still on disk in the same place

How do I play with friends on other platforms?

The easiest way to join a crossplay match with friends is using the room code system. The room code is a four-letter sequence that can be seen inside the pre-game lobby. Send this to your friends over text message, Discord or yelling very loudly and they'll be able to join through the multiplayer menu without having to search through the match browser or enter passwords. Note that on some platforms, crossplay may be disabled at the system level by default. Check if the feature is enabled if you have problems joining crossplay matches.

What input devices are supported?

Controller, keyboard and mouse peripherals are supported on all platforms, including consoles. Split-screen is available with mixed mouse/keyboard and controller support.

Is the Steam Controller supported?

Quake II does not support the Steam Controller.

Do I need an always-online connection to play the game?

Quake II only requires an online connection to play online multiplayer modes. Single-player campaigns and multiplayer via split-screen, LAN or ad-hoc multiplayer on Nintendo Switch can be enjoyed offline.

Are existing mods supported on PC?

Custom maps designed for the PC versions of the original Quake II should still work with the enhanced release of the game. We recommend installing custom maps into your Saved Games profile in your
%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Nightdive Studios\Quake II\baseq2\maps
folder.

You will need to create the maps folder yourself after launching the game for the first time. We have also updated the bot navigation editor to allow custom maps to make full use of our updated AI, including automatically laying down navigation nodes simply by running around the map.

The PC versions of the enhanced Quake II support mods. However, due to the move from 32-bit to 64-bit, existing mods are not compatible. Along with this release, we have made the source code for the game DLL available, allowing mods to be updated and new mods to be created supporting all the enhancements in our updated engine.

This unified codebase also contains all the additions from the two expansion packs and Capture the Flag, making it an excellent base for creating new mods based on expanded content. The updated source, with more detailed instructions for programmers, can be grabbed here.