• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
This is wonderful. I loved the R-Type final. It was really like Gran Turismo of shmups. Loved how there were so many cool secrets in the game, with portions of levels changing based on what you did earlier and so on.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Give it a few more years and this might actually be a date where everything is true (and a good time to announce games with heightened awareness)

That largely already happened. Honestly the only lame stuff that's just low effort lies is by nobodies on twitter and forums. The stuff by actual companies is either real, or so over the top jokey that it's obvious to anyone.

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
I am still worried about the announcement timing but I am so excited for this. Even if it was just R-Type Final remastered to run at 60 fps the whole way through instead of chugging on the big ship stage I'd be in day one.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I am still worried about the announcement timing but I am so excited for this. Even if it was just R-Type Final remastered to run at 60 fps the whole way through instead of chugging on the big ship stage I'd be in day one.
Gimme! A lot of the reason final felt so off was how slow it was, most of that being from the framerate being kind of bad. I still regret selling my copy years ago.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Are we saying this ISN'T an April Fools joke?

I want to believe.

Anyway, I'd love a new R-Type shmup. I would also love an R-Type Tactics III. I remember buying the physical UMD of the first one (R-Type Command outside Japan) for PSP when it came out, and I got the R-9 model with it. R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate never got officially localized, but there's an English fan translation that apparently is just fine.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think they'll deliberately try to replicate the bad parts of Final. Theoretically they could do something like R-Type Zero in terms of the story, maybe the original battle and banishing of the Bydo in the year 2500. Though LEO seems to be about the first contact with the Bydo.

I think Stage 3.5 (Bydo Forest) was the worst one for framerate. So much downtime because the game just took forever to get anywhere.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Thank goodness this is real haha!!!! I think......

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
soitisreal!

edit:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-04-03-r-type-final-2-is-real-and-very-much-not-a-joke

R-Type Final 2 is real and very much not a joke
Finally.

Apologies for being slow to this - it's partly because I still can't believe it's real. Some 16 years after the last proper game, an R-Type has been announced, courtesy of Granzella - a developer composed of various alumni of Irem, the developer behind the original and much-loved side-scrolling shmup series.

R-Type Final 2 is, as its somewhat contradictory name suggests, a sequel to the 2003 PlayStation 2 game that gave the series a beautiful, elegiac send-off. It still stands as a high point for the genre, and is also the subject of one of my favourite pieces we've ever published on Eurogamer.

The announcement is the first part of what looks like a fairly long process, with crowdfunding to get the project fully off the ground kicking off next month, and with PlayStation 4 the first target platform.

The really confusing thing, though? The announcement was made on April Fool's Day in Japan, and seeing as Irem was once renowned for its elaborate April Fool's pranks - such as the Irem burger and the announcement of a life-sized R9 ship - it was hard to take at face value. Granzella has since come out and insisted it's genuine, so let's see what the crowdfunding campaign brings in May. And meanwhile, can someone get development of Gradius 6 back up and running?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad that this is still real. I hear that Disaster Report 4 wasn't that great but I'm still happy to see Granzella keep the spirit of Irem alive.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Praise Haruhi this is real!

Some hopes I have for the game:
  • Don't even call it Final 2. Call it Neo and reboot the series.
  • Push the SHMUP genre forward away from its arcade roots (see: Tyrian and Xenon's shop systems, lack of 1-hit deaths). This is 2019, not 1993.
  • Level design akin to The Third Lightning and Delta, but zoomed out with a larger movement area. Maintain the focus on strategy but make it open enough to mitigate excessive memorization.
  • Add a bigger focus on story and worldbuilding. Portray the Bydo Empire using historically accurate imperialism, colonizing planets, stealing their resources and imposing laws and massacres on the non-Bydo natives.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
  • Add a bigger focus on story and worldbuilding. Portray the Bydo Empire using historically accurate imperialism, colonizing planets, stealing their resources and imposing laws and massacres on the non-Bydo natives.

I'd prefer the Lovecraftian horror grown in a tank big as the moon version of the Bydo Empire.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I can't wait for this, sooo excited! Makes me wish for a new Truxton game too, I played the hell out of that back on the Genesis growing up.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
Well SOMEONE should remake The Guardian Legend; I've been saying that for like 20 years.
Some hopes I have for the game:
  • Don't even call it Final 2. Call it Neo and reboot the series.
  • Push the SHMUP genre forward away from its arcade roots (see: Tyrian and Xenon's shop systems, lack of 1-hit deaths). This is 2019, not 1993.
  • Level design akin to The Third Lightning and Delta, but zoomed out with a larger movement area. Maintain the focus on strategy but make it open enough to mitigate excessive memorization.

Definitely on board a new name and on your second point. It would be interesting to see them change up the core gameplay a bit like that. On the third point, I'm not so sure. They're already going to utilize the 16:9 aspect ratio, which might do what you suggest without the need to zoom everything out more. I'd say the claustrophobic nature of the levels is what gives the games some of their charm over other shooters, even.

No to the last point, sorry... The lore they've already established with the series is a big part of why I'm an R-Type fan first and foremost over other shooters. I get that they kind of closed the loop with Final, but I just don't... like what you've described. Sorry! It is a creative idea.

I'd prefer the Lovecraftian horror grown in a tank big as the moon version of the Bydo Empire.

I'm pretty much on the same page.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Voted for Switch, although if it's 3D, I expect it'll be 30fps. :(

There are plenty of 3D games that run on Switch and are 60fps. Shmups aren't typically graphically intensive to begin with usually always focus on framerate.

In fact almost every case of a Fighting game or port of a STG title on the Switch almost all have been 60 simply due to the nature of the genre requiring such a framerate to begin with.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
If this still goes to crowdfunding and it has some sort of physical R series ship reward I'm gonna cave. I've snapped up just about every version of that's come to market.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Well SOMEONE should remake The Guardian Legend; I've been saying that for like 20 years.

No to the last point, sorry... The lore they've already established with the series is a big part of why I'm an R-Type fan first and foremost over other shooters. I get that they kind of closed the loop with Final, but I just don't... like what you've described. Sorry! It is a creative idea.

I made an oopsie and didn't look at R-Type Tactics/Command's lore. DERP!

Anyhoo, glad to see Granzella asking for port suggestions. Second, I'd love to ask for a return to pixel art despite the obvious challenges.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Would be more down for a R-Type Final remaster.
It looks and plays great on PCSX2.

aUzVTAl.png

fBNXnc4.jpg