ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
There are plenty of 3D games that run on Switch and are 60fps. Shmups aren't typically graphically intensive to begin with usually always focus on framerate.

In fact almost every case of a Fighting game or port of a STG title on the Switch almost all have been 60 simply due to the nature of the genre requiring such a framerate to begin with.
We'll see... and sorry for my negativity. Final 1 is my least favorite R-Type, and I don't know if the dev (or Irem) gives me much confidence in their current abilities. But I do want to believe. :)

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
We received a notice that despite the pandemic, the game is still targeting a release for the end of this Year.
(i have not found a topic more recent... sorry if that's the wrong one)

img_topbanner_2020_vol05.jpg

Last edited:

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I really need a classic shmup in my life.

R-Type has always been my favourite series, it's the only one in which I feel I improve with each session.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
We received a notice that despite the pandemic, the game is still targeting a release for the end of this Year.
(i have not found a topic more recent... sorry if that's the wrong one)

img_topbanner_2020_vol05.jpg
This is probably developed by a fairly small team + there's not much in the form of cutscenes that would need, like, motion capture & such, so it should be about as "easy" to continue developing without too many issues in these times of social distancing as is possible. Not surprising if the release date isn't delayed much/at all.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
We've had the news from this month, the backers demo will be available in July,

As for now,
rtypefinal2.com

rtf2-officialsite

## Build Setup

They have corrected the "Hanger" typo ;)
img_report_01_202006.jpg

Today I was thinking about the game and realized that the July update never happened. I don't mind too much, after all they're a small team and it's not the first time they're late with an update. I hope they'll at least publish a small update (and if the backers demo got delayed) soon, though.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I backed this but the irregular updates are kind of annoying. Most successful funding campaigns contribute their success to transparency and clear communication. The fact they had a secondary funding campaign after the first because they thought 2 weeks was enough time seemed like an odd decision.

With the lack of any kind noise, I hope this just means they are keeping their heads down and working hard on the project. The Director is the same one behind R-Type Delta and R-Type Final, so beyond the lack of frequent updates there aren't any obvious red flags to be too concerned with so far.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I backed this but the irregular updates are kind of annoying. Most successful funding campaigns contribute their success to transparency and clear communication. The fact they had a secondary funding campaign after the first because they thought 2 weeks was enough time seemed like an odd decision.

With the lack of any kind noise, I hope this just means they are keeping their heads down and working hard on the project. The Director is the same one behind R-Type Delta and R-Type Final, so beyond the lack of frequent updates there aren't any obvious red flags to be too concerned with so far.

I'm not too concerned. I just get the impression the team doesn't have much experience with crowd funding or really PR in general. Fortunately that's all very much secondary to making a great game and they seem solid on that front, and the progress they have shown seemed to be moving at a decent clip and in a good direction.

I hope it's more like Delta personally. Brilliant game that I still love playing to this day!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I posted it in an anticipation thread about TGS, but a reminder that this Friday 25th at 9pm japanese time on Granzella youtube channel there will be a R-Type Final 2 special with the game designer Kazuma Kujo "R-Type Final 2 Get-Together September 2020" .
www.youtube.com

Granzella Inc.

Fun comes first! We plan to be a group of entertainment creators who shouldn't be taken too seriously. Hopefully we'll receive many compliments on our foolis...

No idea how long it will be.
The KS news also told that the steam demo has been reconsidered and pushed back, they prefer releasing it on consoles as well at the same time, not just PC.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
For information, the game will get a physical release in Europe and North America.
They have announced new platforms:
XBox One
and

XBox Series X
(XBox one was already there for the KS)

Which means the game is now planned on
PS4 , Switch , Steam, XBox One, XBox Series X

The new trailer:

Reminder: Kazuma Kujo was game designer or planner
on
Air Duel
In the Hunt
Metal Slug
RType Final
RType Command
RType Tactics 2
Hammerin'hero
the disaster report games
and a few others

Last edited:

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For information, the game will get a physical release in Europe and North America.
They have announced new platforms:
XBox One
and
XBox Series X

Which means the game is now planned on
PS4 , Switch , Steam, XBox One, XBox Series X

The new trailer:

Reminder: Kazuma Kujo was game designer or planner
on
Air Duel
In the Hunt
Metal Slug
RType Final
RType Command
RType Tactics 2
Hammerin'hero
the disaster report games
and a few others

Does that physical release includes Xbox versions?

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Does that physical release includes Xbox versions?

There was no platform detail on the physical release, so i think it will be available for all versions. (i hope so anyway) :)
phys4uklc.jpg

Since the people in charge of the game were key people of RType Tactics 2 i bet they know the value limited run physical editions can gain along the years xD

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Xbox One isn't a new platform for the game, It was part of the Kickstarter back at the very beginning.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
YJfJOQb.gif

Tried to capture a GIF to focus on the gameplay screens. Weapons look tasty - hope the level designs are good.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome that they found a publisher. It was the first game I ever backed on Kickstarter and I can't wait for the final product. The demo version for backers got delayed since they want to make it available on multiple platforms. I wonder if we're getting it at the end of the year now considering that the game is scheduled for spring 2021. Originally, they planned to release the demo in July.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a fun first quarter or so for shumps next year.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not even a shumps person, I just happened upon this trailer today and it looks great!! Great graphics and looks very true to the original.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I've never played a single R-Type before but am really getting into Shmups lately.

What's the best way to play through as many of these entries as possible on modern platforms? Are there any collections I'd be best of getting, or versions?

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played a single R-Type before but am really getting into Shmups lately.

What's the best way to play through as many of these entries as possible on modern platforms? Are there any collections I'd be best of getting, or versions?
R-Type Dimensions easily for starters. It's available for Switch, PS4 and PC.
Later games are trickier to come by. Super R-Type and R-Type III are still stick on SNES.
Delta is on PS1 and the original Final is for PS2.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
R-Type Dimensions easily for starters. It's available for Switch, PS4 and PC.
Later games are trickier to come by. Super R-Type and R-Type III are still stick on SNES.
Delta is on PS1 and the original Final is for PS2.

Thanks, I just grabbed Dimensions on PS4 so I can at least play those.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Super R-Type is basically a sort of amalgamation of R-Type 1 and 2 mixed together so if you have R-Type Dimensions which are basically fairly arcade faithful ports of R-Type 1 and 2 you don't need to play Super R-Type.

R-Type III however is an entirely original game, same for R-Type Delta and Final.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Got some emails from NISA about the pre-order for R-Type Final 2 Limited Edition and regular edition for a Spring 2021 release.

I hope the backers are getting the Limited Edition. I'd be kind if disappointed of backers getting a cheaper copy that wasn't available during the funding campaign only become a thing for folks to buy after the fact. This is not the first time something like that happened. Hopefully for R-Type Final 2 this isn't the case.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
R-Type Final 2 looks gorgeous, damn. I'm interested and I backed it, I just really hope it has a pace that's closer to the arcade games than R-Type Final. Wouldn't hurt if there was a clear crop of designated "balanced" ships among the huge selection, too.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
This is one of the very few games I've ever backed. Really glad to see it's shaping up nicely.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Got some emails from NISA about the pre-order for R-Type Final 2 Limited Edition and regular edition for a Spring 2021 release.

I hope the backers are getting the Limited Edition. I'd be kind if disappointed of backers getting a cheaper copy that wasn't available during the funding campaign only become a thing for folks to buy after the fact. This is not the first time something like that happened. Hopefully for R-Type Final 2 this isn't the case.
The backer tiers had stuff like art books at different levels, maybe that'll decide which edition you get.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
R-Type Final was one of my favorite shoot 'em ups. I backed this kickstarter. Looks really great from the trailer so far.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Super R-Type is basically a sort of amalgamation of R-Type 1 and 2 mixed together so if you have R-Type Dimensions which are basically fairly arcade faithful ports of R-Type 1 and 2 you don't need to play Super R-Type.

R-Type III however is an entirely original game, same for R-Type Delta and Final.
Often overlooked but Armed Police Unit Gallop is also canonically part of the R-Type series. There's also the Command/Tactics spinoffs on PSP.

Final also sort of retconned some other shooters into the series (X-Multiply, Image Fight series, Mr. Heli, Dragon Breed) and even some non-shooters (Disaster Report series, Tropical Angel, Undercover Cops) but these could also be written off as homages moreso. And there's a fighting game, Perfect Soldiers, which is directly related too.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

As far as I remember its not so much that, it's like 4 slightly remixed r type 2 stages and the rest are originals. The game has it's own original music too.

Edit: Looking it up since I can't remember directly from memory nor do I want to dig out my snes, stages 2-3-5-7 are from R type 2 in some form. Stage 2 is stage 1 from R-Type 2 and is almost exactly as it is in R-Type 2. Stage 3 is an altered version of stage 2 From R-Type 2 has a few elements changed up like having a different miniboss entirely and the end boss is replaced by one similar to a boss from R-Type 1. Stages 5 and 7 are mostly the same from R-Type 2. I believe R-Type 2 has more weapon power ups than Super R-Type as well.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
We really just need Irem/Granzella to do an R-Type Collection. Partner with M2 or someone for the 2D emulation and just port the 3D games directly for it.

My picks would be:
  1. R-Type (AC) 1987
  2. R-Type II (AC) 1989
  3. Super R-Type (SNES) 1991
  4. Armed Police Unit Gallop (AC) 1991
  5. R-Type Leo (AC) 1992
  6. R-Type III: The Third Lightning (SNES) 1993
  7. R-Type Delta (PS) 1998
  8. R-Type DX (GBC) 1999
  9. R-Type Final (PS2) 2003
  10. R-Type Command (PSP) 2007

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Cool (about the third crowdfunding). I'll be curious to see what rewards are still available for the tiers this go around.

I don't know if this has been mentioned by anyone yet, but Nis America announced that preorders for physical editions are starting on October 29. There's also going to be a special edition with a soundtrack, art book and some other stuff.

NIS America, Inc.

Check out the latest and greatest from NIS America all in one place! Find your new favorite game, along with the most recent updates.

EDIT: Looks like the "Inaugural Flight Edition" is up for preorder on Amazon for PS4 or Switch right now at $49.99. Here's the links:

PS4 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LRTZ6MR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FfeLFbH9P4788

Switch - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LRV71F5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ageLFbGJ03B2C

Last edited: