• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
There is nothing wrong with being grateful for said services, but you should understand that Blue Lives Matter isn't just a courtesy or acknowledgement of law enforcement - it exists purely as another "side" to Black Lives Matter, and implies the lives of police matter more than those they take advantage of on a near-daily basis.

It is inherently understood that the lives of police, EMTs, firefighters, etc. "matter" in some capacity, and there isn't opposition to said claim. Creating a slogan like this exists purely as a divisive catchphrase to create a sense of guilt just for merely supporting the fact that black people don't deserve to be gunned down, sometimes literally, by a police force that was originally created to control them.

I don't think its so much guilt as a diversion or "counter" option to drown out the protest.

Its like on the playground if someone says something a kid doesn't like or want to hear, they stick their hands over their ears and yell "LA LA LA LA!" They can't really do that in this situation without looking completely moronic, so they have to take the original message twist it and yell it back to drown it out.

It's like a subtle version of the tune out but still not too long a distance away from the same level of immaturity.

Skaterboy

May 16, 2018
As far the Bantz go in this interaction, i feel, was lackluster on both sides.
According to the tweet both of these guys had several miles worth of time to come up with insults, and the best we get is "Go back to your honda"

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish we can charge these racists assholes with some sort of crime and place them in jail.

The first amendment with impunity is baffling.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far the Bantz go in this interaction, i feel, was lackluster on both sides.
According to the tweet both of these guys had several miles worth of time to come up with insults, and the best we get is "Go back to your honda"
This is your takeaway from all of this?

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a flag for Blue Lives Matter, supporting cops. From what I read online, the blue line is supposed to represent the "thin blue line" (yes, a reference to the thin red line)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_blue_line
Which is funny considering that firefighters have their own thin red line.

Though, that actually makes sense considering they're fighting mother nature....I hope they're not saying "Firefighters LIves Matter"...I mean, yeah, they do but...that's just weird if that's case.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Could be some sort of PTSD if he's a veteran?

No, that's not something that would trigger an episode.

It would need to be stimuli similar to the tramautic event, gunfire, explosions, the appearence of someone taking aim at you (almost straight killed a cop who was lazing my speed when I first got back, pointed at me, saw that little head tilt out of my peripheral, and damn near turned him into a hood ornament. That was a long day.) stuff like that. The only thing seeing that flag would trigger is racism.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
There is nothing wrong with being grateful for said services, but you should understand that Blue Lives Matter isn't just a courtesy or acknowledgement of law enforcement - it exists purely as another "side" to Black Lives Matter, and implies the lives of police matter more than those they take advantage of on a near-daily basis.

It is inherently understood that the lives of police, EMTs, firefighters, etc. "matter" in some capacity, and there isn't opposition to said claim. Creating a slogan like this exists purely as a divisive catchphrase to create a sense of guilt just for merely supporting the fact that black people don't deserve to be gunned down, sometimes literally, by a police force that was originally created to control them.

I can understand that perspective. I would think what the flag or movement means will depend on the person. As someone earlier made a comparison to swastika and the blue line flag. I'd be curious as to see the thoughts of the person who designed the flag.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that perspective. I would think what the flag or movement means will depend on the person. As someone earlier made a comparison to swastika and the blue line flag. I'd be curious as to see the thoughts of the person who designed the flag.

The swastika was originally a Buddhist symbol and is still used in that context in parts of Asia. But that's irrelevant to how that symbol was co-opted and what it came to mean to millions of people. Symbols, specifically the meaning behind them, change with the groups thegroups they become associated with.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
Meanwhile in AZ, like at least 1/3 of cars have a variation of the new swastika on them.
891138.png
This flag has the wrong number of stripes on it lmao.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I like how as soon as the guy saw he was being recorded he immediately began to back peddle, but just couldn't stop running his mouth. I mean how long until one of these racist assholes that pull this shit end up getting hurt or killed because the person they are harassing fear for their life and defend themselves?

Hopefully soon :)

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the Reston area frequently, I hope to have the pleasure of running into this shit bird.

I really want to put a Fuck Trump sticker on the back of my motorcycle helmet, but I already know someone would try and run me over for it.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The swastika was originally a Buddhist symbol and is still used in that context in parts of Asia. But that's irrelevant to how that symbol was co-opted and what it came to mean to millions of people. Symbols, specifically the meaning behind them, change with the groups thegroups they become associated with.

I don't associate the police, firemen, medics with the swastika. I can only guess the earlier use in this thread was not relating to anything Buddhist.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that shit like this happens, particularly in NoVA. We do have a large Afghan and Afghan-descended population (and legit good Afghan/South Asian/ME/Med food) so at least there's solid community backing.

Totally off topic: but are there any particular spots you recommend? Fairfax here.

I can't believe this crap happens in as progressive an area as this. Just goes to show there's scum everywhere.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even understand how this can be real. I would have had a hard time not beating the ever loving shit of Jort's Man.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I have a small Afghan flag patch I display in my police patrol car, i'm sure it would piss off some racists to see it. I don't wear or display any Thin Blue Line stuff because I think it alienates us from our community, and I sure as hell wouldn't display anything Blue Lives Matter because despite being a white cop, I support the meaning of Black Lives Matter

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Totally off topic: but are there any particular spots you recommend? Fairfax here.

Here's what I recommend for Med/South Asian/Afghan food in the area:

Afghan Bistro - Springfield (Afghan, fancier, may need reservations)
Afghan Kabob House - Arlington (Afghan, nice options)
Al Hamra - Annandale (Med/South Asian, a bit small portions but pretty good)
Bollywood Bistro - Fairfax (South Asian, menu items are amazing, buffet is okay)
Dera - Springfield (South Asian, some menu items inconsistent, but good buffet)
DC Chicken & Gyro (quality "halal cart" food in a real storefront)
Kabob Palace - by DCA (South Asian, good 24hr takeout)
Raouche Cafe - Dunn Loring (Lebanese, great value and right by Supergrill which is also great)
Ravi - Arlington (South Asian, take-out is really good)

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile in AZ, like at least 1/3 of cars have a variation of the new swastika on them.
891138.png

It's super mysterious that all the hillbilly outlaw rebel types, who've hated cops their entire lives, suddenly started loving police and attaching this shit to their pickups right around Ferguson.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I recommend for Med/South Asian/Afghan food in the area:

Afghan Bistro - Springfield (Afghan, fancier, may need reservations)
Afghan Kabob House - Arlington (Afghan, nice options)
Al Hamra - Annandale (Med/South Asian, a bit small portions but pretty good)
Bollywood Bistro - Fairfax (South Asian, menu items are amazing, buffet is okay)
Dera - Springfield (South Asian, some menu items inconsistent, but good buffet)
DC Chicken & Gyro (quality "halal cart" food in a real storefront)
Kabob Palace - by DCA (South Asian, good 24hr takeout)
Raouche Cafe - Dunn Loring (Lebanese, great value and right by Supergrill which is also great)
Ravi - Arlington (South Asian, take-out is really good)

Y'all been to Nela in Reston Town Center ?

Fucking LOVED the food there .. too bad it got closed down :(

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering what those flags were. They have been popping up a lot over here. Makes sense, racist ass town.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's super mysterious that all the hillbilly outlaw rebel types, who've hated cops their entire lives, suddenly started loving police and attaching this shit to their pickups right around Ferguson.
I know right? But as with the rebel flag or other problematic iconography people gotta dig to insist it's totally innocuous and innocent. "It's heritage, it existed before, it originally meant something else and that's what it has to mean now, people prop it up because it's inconvenient not too" anything to avoid it just being America's favorite past time - RACISM.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah the classic mindset of telling somebody they are arguing bad faith whenever they don't agree with you. Classy.
Bringing up medics and firemen into a conversation about how this blue line flag pertains to the police did seem pretty tricky if you ask me. You did also dismiss the whole point of that post by being seemingly being consciously obtuse and myopic about how people veiw icons by not even acknowledging public perception - only your own.

Last edited:

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bringing up medics and firemen into a conversation about how this blue line flag pertains to the police did seem pretty tricky if you ask me. You did also dismiss the whole point of that post by being seemingly consciously obtuse and myopic about how people veiw icons by not even acknowledging public perception - only your own.

Yup, yup.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, if some racists only knew how fucking stupid they are...
But knowing the level of journalism in the US, there is room for inprovement.

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
It still boggles my mind that the state of things in the US has gotten to the point where you can't trust your own police force not to murder you just for walking down the street. The police force here in Ireland isn't perfect but at least my black friends can walk down the street at night or get pulled over for speeding without worrying they're gonna get shot for reaching for their license. America needs to fix it's shit.

Racism belongs nowhere.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Bringing up medics and firemen into a conversation about how this blue line flag pertains to the police did seem pretty tricky if you ask me. You did also dismiss the whole point of that post by being seemingly being consciously obtuse and myopic about how people veiw icons by not even acknowledging public perception - only your own.

Multiple people brought those up prior to my first post in an educational way. My first post in this thread was thanking a poster for the explanation. To me it was new and informative as I have never seen any of those types of flags.

It is fine if you missed the multiple prior posts to mine that actually brought up medics and firemen. I don't feel their posts were being tricky. We can simply disagree on that if you feel they are being tricky.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded

Playing dumb is like the #1 give away for this shit.