i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
This port began as a Vita project that was later moved to 3DS. That might explain the change in art style in part. Either way, it is pretty sad that all of Atlus' recent remasters have essentially revolved around adding new anime girls for people to obsess over.

I remember reading about that. I was both surprised and disappointed it didn't make it onto Vita ultimately. 3DS has a bigger install base and that means potentially reaching more people with your product. Being in development for both handhelds would have been awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
It was a really fun game, but I don't do 3DS anymore.

Some advice for those who get it for the first time - early on make sure you understand how the combat system works or battles will drag on on forever. The battle system revolves around stacking as many opponents as possible whilst landing chain-attacks on the stack, and how you do that depends on your party composition. If you play the game properly, the pace of battle is relatively quick.

Deleted member 563

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually shocked that there's such a backlash over the art change. The new art is certainly more "generic anime," but it really isn't bad at all.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'm actually shocked that there's such a backlash over the art change. The new art is certainly more "generic anime," but it really isn't bad at all.

While I appreciately the distinctness of the old art, I would argue that the characters are a lot uglier...

From unique and distinct to generic anime.
Of course some people won't like it.

I'm still playing it though, I hope we get that art DLC.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017

Being so 'generic anime' IS the problem though and the issues lie mostly with the faces. We went from more unique facial features to moe-blobs who all look 15.

To be clear, I would not have complained had we not had the original designs as comparisons. The true insult is that the original is paid DLC.

When this game is released in the west, I really hope the DLC is either free or built in.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
It was a really fun game, but I don't do 3DS anymore.

Some advice for those who get it for the first time - early on make sure you understand how the combat system works or battles will drag on on forever. The battle system revolves around stacking as many opponents as possible whilst landing chain-attacks on the stack, and how you do that depends on your party composition. If you play the game properly, the pace of battle is relatively quick.

Reminds me oddly of Dynasty Tactics. Of course I was one of like 3 people that loved that game.

I played like 2/3 of the original on DS about 2 years back, great game, haven't finished it (side tracked by DQ7, don't play handheld very often)

The anime princess hairstyle on Erica sucks though.

Deleted member 563

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that some people won't like it, but the amount of backlash in every Radiant Historia thread is just a bit surprising. I don't know, it just feels weird to me that 9 out of 10 posts are shitting on the art change

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
radianthistoriarayniecomparison.png

I'm not happy.
A JRPG character has something remotely resembling facial features! It must be fixed!

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I understand that some people won't like it, but the amount of backlash in every Radiant Historia thread is just a bit surprising. I don't know, it just feels weird to me that 9 out of 10 posts are shitting on the art change
When it's a game that's been released before and the primary fundamental difference is mainstreaming the art style, I'd contend that it's not weird in the least that it would dominate the discussion... at least until the game actually comes out and new fans can experience the game itself for the first time.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, though I'm not sure if I'll end up getting it as I'm not playing my 3DS much at all nowadays and still have the original. Need to look again at what got added to this version beyond art and voices.

Also not really a fan of the art change, though some characters come out okay. I straight up thought Eruca was an all new character with how little she resembles her old self. Why the complete change in hairstyle?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Great game, though I'm not sure if I'll end up getting it as I'm not playing my 3DS much at all nowadays and still have the original. Need to look again at what got added to this version beyond art and voices.

Also not really a fan of the art change, though some characters come out okay. I straight up thought Eruca was an all new character with how little she resembles her old self. Why the complete change in hairstyle?

No one likes Tomboyish princesses apparently

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
I own radiant historia , i'm excited as f*** for this release.
But we're still talking about the art changes ?
I really love the original game art , and i don't mind the new take on those characters.. It will make me see something different when i'll replay this game.
I like both takes on the characters.
My problem are on the possible new scenarios ... radiant historia scenario is something i enjoyed greatly , especially how it ended... This is the thing i'm the most worried about.

Character changes asides , the game will be at a better resolution , with more content and STILL with the killer soundtrack and possibly the best main protagonist ever in a rpg. So yeah , it's disapointing , but this change ain't ( shouldn't )enough to dissuade you from playing this damn game.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
You're in for a disappointment.

A review of the new content based on the Japanese release:https://tdnshumi.blogspot.se/2017/08/radiant-historia-perfect-chronology.html

Thanks a lot for that, it was informative. I'll still be supporting this remake, on the off-chance it allows us a sequel, or more RPGs like it.

Didn't realize there was going to be a Hard Mode. I'll absolutely be doing my replay with that, it sounds pretty challenging.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
The trailer felt extremely flat. I don't see any noteworthy enhancements compared to the original. Similar in-game graphics, worse art, and extra content that will probably end up as added bloat. I'll stick with the DS version.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
is this game any good the original didn't come out in europe?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Amazon changed my release date to March 31

Said I get release date delivery of April 2

I have no idea what is up

Also like the older style better. Generic anime just sucks when there was already something else to base it off of

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Amazon changed my release date to March 31

Said I get release date delivery of April 2

I have no idea what is up

Also like the older style better. Generic anime just sucks when there was already something else to base it off of
Amazon is slow to update release dates for niche games at times. It will probably update to the correct date by the time February rolls around (likely when they actually receive their copies to be shipped out).

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Any Radiant Histora thread should properly begin with an excerpt of it´s sublime soundtrack!!

Here you have one of THE very best battle themes in gaming history

And here you have one of the most melancholic themes in planet earth´s history

This RPG is great and deserves all the sales in the world. It´s very classic-feeling, akin´ to the SNES-era but modernized. And combat was genuinely fun and some boss encounters outright brutal. It´s awesome.

While I was reading this thread, the first song was playing in my head lol

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon is slow to update release dates for niche games at times. It will probably update to the correct date by the time February rolls around (likely when they actually receive their copies to be shipped out).
But thats the thing, April 2 was the update. They had the 3/31 placeholder forever. You would think thay by now it would've been updated to the February date since we' less than a month out. They should have a solid date as when they're getting their product by now. The good news is the 2nd isn't a normal release date.

It is rare that Amazon takes this long to update. Occasionally it happens a lot closer to release, but definitely still worth bringing up.

Honestly I think its nothing more than Amazon poorly maintaining info on more niche titles.

As for the game, I have it preordered via Amazon due to a price error that made it less than 20% off, but honestly I don't see myself playing this even though it is my kind of game. I just don't want to pick up the 3ds anymore.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Man I've always wanted to try this game.

Will wait to see if the original art is DLC or not though, the new art is so generic "house style" anime that it's off-putting.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't dislike the new artstyle but it dosen't come close to the original art, I will still pick up the game because I have been wanting to replay this for awhile.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
My Strange Journey was also just updated to April 2nd as well as RH on Amazon.
Yeah, my Strange Journey is Apr 2nd too. I think it's just Amazon being crap as shit on the actual dates, because Strange Journey comes out in May, right? If they don't fix it in time, I'll just spend the couple extra few bucks and get them from Best Buy.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The launch edition seems pretty nice. I had preordered it from Amazon last year for $28, so I suppose I'll keep it.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll get this. Imported the original when it first came out, but then lost my copy somewhere before I could finish it. (Was pretty early in the game, too... I think Chapter 1 or somesuch)

Probably also needs to be pre-ordered or otherwise I won't get it - but that's fine, I'll just ask GameStop seeing how I'm also getting Bayonetta 2 on the same day. No launch edition for me, though. (Europe always getting the short end of the stick is one of the most annoying things with Atlus, but at least we're getting a physical release)

In regards to the art change... yeah, I'm not a fan of it. I wouldn't call it BAD, necessarily, but styles like this are a dime a dozen nowadays and the original stood out amongst the barrage of moe styles that were so popular in last generation's JRPG (and are still today *sighs*). Decided to send this message to Deep Silver, who are responsible for the game's release in Europe, hope I can hear back from them:

Dear Sir or Madam;

I am deeply interested in the game 'Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology'. As a fan of the original - which I had to import from the United States back when it launched - I am a little baffled by the redesign of the original in-game character portraits. However, I found out that japanese publisher Atlus is offering these portraits to be used as an option via DLC. As such, I'd like to inquire whether Deep Silver is also planning to make the original's character portraits, drawn by artist Hiroshi Konishi, accessible either by the route taken by Atlus Japan or having the feature already built into the european release. If you are dependent on Atlus USA regarding this issue, feel free to forward this mail to your partners there.

I'm looking forward to this game regardless and want to thank you in advance for your answer.

Regards;

Andreas G.

That said, the art change is nowhere near as extreme as the new character designs they had done for Stranger of Sword City. Talk about style whiplash...

Last edited:

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
True.
C7jkH_DVAAA016n.jpg

Goddammit Atlus, what are you doing. I heard the original art is an option, but only via paid dlc? That really stinks. I want to support this great game, but the butchered art style turns me off.
Eruca was my favorite character in the original and this is literally the worst thing that's ever happened to me in my life
But seriously, the new art is the sole reason I'm not buying this :/

Oct 25, 2017
You're in for a disappointment.

A review of the new content based on the Japanese release:https://tdnshumi.blogspot.se/2017/08/radiant-historia-perfect-chronology.html

Overall, sounds like an improvement, but some of side content is less substantial than it could have been.

Hard Mode seems like a good way to balance out powering up on the new side content/dungeon.

Man I've always wanted to try this game.

Will wait to see if the original art is DLC or not though, the new art is so generic "house style" anime that it's off-putting.

I think most of the characters look better and cleaned up from the original style, which was very "sketch" like. The princess looks worse, but I like most of the rest actually?

The original was not a pretty game, and it is kind of a shame that they didn't take the opportunity to clean up more of the environments or sprites.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I never played the original, so I'm excited for this. Pre-ordered it months ago.

I don't have any connection to the old art, but the new art looks a little cleaner and more professional to my eye. I could go either way on it.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the original is one of my favorite games on the ds, and one of the best surprises. i was expecting mediocrity but instead got a fantastic game. not really interested in this port, don't like the redesigns or the voice acting.